Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

9 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

He has not played in the Championship at all this season until now; so, last season.

We played really well today, especially in the first half.  A real team performance.  Second half, not so well although we did not give PNE a sniff of a goal; 0.07 XG says it all.  Many on here have lauded our 2nd half game management but Ipswich have a GD that is just two goals better than ours.  I just hope that we do not regret not trying harder to get a fourth or even fifth goal.

Onwards and upwards on Saturday!

If we catch Ipswich then the GD will sort itself out as ours will improve by at least 1 with every win. GD is not going to be the deciding factor relative to Leeds or Leicester, their advantage is simply too big.

That first half was as good as I’ve seen in a long time. It really shows the great work that RM and his team have done on the coaching pitch all season, to make us look so slick and make a top 10 championship side look so poor. Total control and a joy to watch.

It also shows the difference a striker makes - Che turned in his best performance of the season and converting our dominance took away any pressure and made it a stroll. Special shout out also to Stu. He was as bad as I’ve seen him on Saturday and the complete opposite last night. Love watching him when he’s playing like that.

No idea what Preston were thinking - you get at us by crowding our midfield exactly as Watford did on Saturday (and others, especially Hull) but they just sat back and gave us all the possession and space we wanted. Odd, and it failed. It does mean we didn’t get to see whether we’ve learnt anything from previous mistakes, but if the opposition didn’t do that, there’s nothing we can do about it.

And I don’t want to detract from what was an excellent performance from us. Can’t underestimate the difference of that v a good championship side opposed to last season v Grimsby or Sheff Wed. That’s done on the training pitch and with a seismic change in mentality, things you have to credit the players, coaches and in particular Russell with.

Well done all.

• Like 12

At the arse-end of the season it is a bit nerdish to still be talking about team selections but for me Martin's persistence with Brooks is beyond me. With the exception of about two decent through ball passes he was invisible last night once again. Nor am I convinced about Aribo who seems to run out of gas and ideas after 30 mins in every match and is more of a liability after that until inevitably he gets subbed off.

I did agree with MacCarthy's last minute call-up as sub for Baz, after all he has had to stand on the sidelines all season without a game whereas Lumley has featured in cup games. It was nice of Martin to recognise his hard work in training and support of Baz by awarding him a first team appearance in what is most likely his last season as a Saint. Lumley looked pretty hacked off at the decision but should understand that it is the togetherness of the team that matters most and Martin got this right.

Optimists on here would have you believe that we stepped off the gas in the second half and just protected our lead, whereas in reality PNE pulled themselves together after the break and played with a lot more pride and commitment and we could not break them down. The freedom of the park that they offered us in the first half and which we exploited mercilessly obviously solicited a mighty b*ll*cking from their manager at half time and it obviously got a reaction. Having said that only rarely were they a threat on our goal. Not inconsequentially resting Downes after HT was a huge factor in our poorer second half performance as well. Without him we are often disjointed and aimless. This must be a worry.

Anyway, a great result and big shout out especially for Adams, the Armstrong's and Manning in a performance where most excelled.

48 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

At the arse-end of the season it is a bit nerdish to still be talking about team selections but for me Martin's persistence with Brooks is beyond me. With the exception of about two decent through ball passes

You mean the two which contributed to two of our three goals. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I think that Joe Lumley just got given a massive snub. It will be super hard for him to recover from that I’m afraid. 
The bottom line is that RM made a gut decision not to pick him - when for all intents and purposes he has been the #2 goalie for us all year. 

It was the right decision in a sense because of (1) Clean sheet (2) we won - but it was a bad decision in another sense because of (1) Lumley knows he is not trusted by the gaffer and that surely means he is gonna leave. Along with Alex who will also leave. 

I had an inkling that changing the gk for this game might galvanise the team but had no idea it would be Alex not Joe. Fact is it DID do something.

We were noticeably more defensively aggressive and less willing to dawdle in our own penalty area ( apart from last five minutes). Maybe the knowledge that it wasn’t the usual keeper and perhaps let’s protect him a bit more changed the mindset? If so this was a genius decision on that front because it’s what all saints fans wanted- better defending attitude and application - but I would not go as far as to say RM thought that through to get the extra defensive steel he did from his team. Picking Joe would essentially be Baz mk2 but Alex is cast from a different mould and players knew it. Or maybe RM gut told him what to do and he trusted that instinct. I don’t care it worked! 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

You mean the two which contributed to two of our three goals. 

It's what he did or didn't do for the rest of his time on the pitch that matters. Every player makes one or two telling passes during a match.

4 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

At the arse-end of the season it is a bit nerdish to still be talking about team selections but for me Martin's persistence with Brooks is beyond me. With the exception of about two decent through ball passes he was invisible last night once again. Nor am I convinced about Aribo who seems to run out of gas and ideas after 30 mins in every match and is more of a liability after that until inevitably he gets subbed off.

I did agree with MacCarthy's last minute call-up as sub for Baz, after all he has had to stand on the sidelines all season without a game whereas Lumley has featured in cup games. It was nice of Martin to recognise his hard work in training and support of Baz by awarding him a first team appearance in what is most likely his last season as a Saint. Lumley looked pretty hacked off at the decision but should understand that it is the togetherness of the team that matters most and Martin got this right.

Optimists on here would have you believe that we stepped off the gas in the second half and just protected our lead, whereas in reality PNE pulled themselves together after the break and played with a lot more pride and commitment and we could not break them down. The freedom of the park that they offered us in the first half and which we exploited mercilessly obviously solicited a mighty b*ll*cking from their manager at half time and it obviously got a reaction. Having said that only rarely were they a threat on our goal. Not inconsequentially resting Downes after HT was a huge factor in our poorer second half performance as well. Without him we are often disjointed and aimless. This must be a worry.

Anyway, a great result and big shout out especially for Adams, the Armstrong's and Manning in a performance where most excelled.

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I think that Joe Lumley just got given a massive snub. It will be super hard for him to recover from that I’m afraid. 
The bottom line is that RM made a gut decision not to pick him - when for all intents and purposes he has been the #2 goalie for us all year. 

It was the right decision in a sense because of (1) Clean sheet (2) we won - but it was a bad decision in another sense because of (1) Lumley knows he is not trusted by the gaffer and that surely means he is gonna leave. Along with Alex who will also leave. 

I had an inkling that changing the gk for this game might galvanise the team but had no idea it would be Alex not Joe. Fact is it DID do something.

We were noticeably more defensively aggressive and less willing to dawdle in our own penalty area ( apart from last five minutes). Maybe the knowledge that it wasn’t the usual keeper and perhaps let’s protect him a bit more changed the mindset? If so this was a genius decision on that front because it’s what all saints fans wanted- better defending attitude and application - but I would not go as far as to say RM thought that through to get the extra defensive steel he did from his team. Picking Joe would essentially be Baz mk2 but Alex is cast from a different mould and players knew it. Or maybe RM gut told him what to do and he trusted that instinct. I don’t care it worked! 

Why is that a bad thing? 

He (lumley) will know the score. He's been brought in to be backup / cover, because he's not good enough to be first choice for a championship side. That hasn't changed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

At the arse-end of the season it is a bit nerdish to still be talking about team selections but for me Martin's persistence with Brooks is beyond me. With the exception of about two decent through ball passes he was invisible last night once again. 

I wasn't totally convinced by Brooks, but he is assisting and creating chances.

Re PNE stepping up in second half???

2nd half only

possession 81% / 19%

shots 9 / 0

accurate passes 389 / 59

total passes 426 / 101

pass accuracy 91% / 58%

passes in oppession half 269 / 38

touches in opposition box 19 / 2

xG 1.15 / 0

And this was with us resting the complete midfield three, and both wingers! (and already having the game won and important games coming up!)

It was a totally professional and comfortable one-sided half.

PNE did not react at all, we outplayed them through out. (they actually had more possession, shots, xG, passes, etc in the first half.

There was nothing in that second half that could rationally worry anyone!

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Lumley literally just signed a new contract with us.

The selection of McCarthy is obviously complicated by his current contract, which more than likely has a sizeable amount determined by whether he is in the side or not and also the potential for an extension if he plays a certain number of games. Putting that to one side, I did find it strange that Lumley got a new deal before we knew what league we were going to be in. If we get promoted will he still be our second choice (that RM doesn't even think is better than McCarthy) or would promotion mean we could afford to buy a new number 1 and he would drop to third choice (who knows where Lis fits in)?

15 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I wasn't totally convinced by Brooks, but he is assisting and creating chances.

I'm a big fan, but also see his shortfalls (defensively especially). Like all wingers, he will have days when things don't come off or he is just not involved. For example, Fraser in the Blackburn game did absolutely nothing. What Brooks does do is try things. When they come off he looks absolutely magic. When they don't, you wonder what all the fuss is about. I really look forward to seeing him play. I'd love him to be absolutely brilliant in the run in (putting any doubts about him behind me) and for us to sign him in the summer.

I know a lot has been said about whether we needed to bring him in, especially when other positions looked to be more needy, but perhaps solutions for those positions were not available and by bringing him in I think we have added a very different type of wide man that compliments the tricks, pace and drive offered by Edozie, Sullemana and Fraser. Add Armstrong into that equation and yes, we have two many players for the positions available, but what a great situation to have. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

That was basically the team everyone wanted, minus Baz and Fraser, and it looked to be the correct one. That's definitely the best defence and midfield three IMO, they were all superb. Shout out to Manning who's had some well earned criticism all season but looked every inch the player who was in last season's team of the year. PNE were dreadful. I can only assume they were already on the beach because they offered nothing all game. Between those two efforts which nearly caught their keeper off his line and Stu hitting the inside of the post, it could easily have been 5-0 at h/t. Second half we controlled the pace excellently and they never had a sniff.

The main down side to tonight is Baz's injury. If it's as bad as feared, he'll be out well into next season. Having to rely on McC and Lumley for the run in and playoffs is far from ideal.

Your downside, my upside.  Opinions opinions….

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I'm a big fan, but also see his shortfalls (defensively especially). Like all wingers, he will have days when things don't come off or he is just not involved. For example, Fraser in the Blackburn game did absolutely nothing. What Brooks does do is try things. When they come off he looks absolutely magic. When they don't, you wonder what all the fuss is about. I really look forward to seeing him play. I'd love him to be absolutely brilliant in the run in (putting any doubts about him behind me) and for us to sign him in the summer.

I know a lot has been said about whether we needed to bring him in, especially when other positions looked to be more needy, but perhaps solutions for those positions were not available and by bringing him in I think we have added a very different type of wide man that compliments the tricks, pace and drive offered by Edozie, Sullemana and Fraser. Add Armstrong into that equation and yes, we have two many players for the positions available, but what a great situation to have. 

I also am a big fan of Brooks. He can do the unexpected which is a great asset. However, I think the crucial reason he is important is that he is a key cog in the wheel in terms of our style of play.  By that I mean he links up so well with team mates and makes clever runs into pockets of space and floats about causing problems for our opponents and keep us very fluid. He doesn't just stick out on the wing he uses his brain to go where needed. His contribution to Che's second goal was superb and that's what he gives the team that nobody else does in  my opinion. On the downside he is not great at tracking back but if he had no faults I guess he would be playing regularly for Bournemouth. He's a talent and great to watch.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

What you're saying makes sense although someone on here said that we were looking for a winger and a midfielder back in December before the transfer window opened, so it looks like it was a deliberate strategy

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Why is that a bad thing? 

He (lumley) will know the score. He's been brought in to be backup / cover, because he's not good enough to be first choice for a championship side. That hasn't changed. 

McCarthy might have had poor games , but he's also been our player of the season in the Premier league and played for England, don't underestimate that experience in high pressure games, I don't necessarily see it as a downgrade having him instead of Baz. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Manning very good today

Let’s just hope we don’t disrupt this back 4 on Saturday… wishful thinking I fear

Can I add my shout for Manning last night? Although he wasn't really challenged, someone has been coaching him while the Stephens love-in has been going on. 

12 hours ago, Bakovnetski said:

Can I add my shout for Manning last night? Although he wasn't really challenged, someone has been coaching him while the Stephens love-in has been going on. 

That's what competition for places brings about.