Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I tend to agree. We may need a keeper who can make game-winning saves to grind out a couple of backs to the wall wins.

Macca has shown in the past that he is capable of that. Bazunu never has.

When was the last time McCarthy made a game winning save?

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

There was that game, Saints v Reading. He was MOM for reading

Edited by JustinR
Typo
  • Haha 1

We were shit hot in that first half, we tore them to pieces. PNE did make it easy for us as they seemed to stand and watch us a lot, rather than engage in that first half - made it really easy for us to do those quick 1 2's as they simply weren't tracking. But we were totally on it, sharp and quick - unlucky not to have a couple more goals. I thought the team looked so balanced, we attacked down the left or the right and had players crossing on their natural sides - it made such a difference to the speed of our attack and how often we were able to get into advanced positions without having to turn back.

The second half was as I expected it to be, a bit of a training ground effort really. PNE came out to play for a bit of pride, so they got tighter, we slowed down and just played out the 45 mins really. Not much to say about that second half as it was just a training kick about - players should still be pretty fresh after that!

My overall takeaway from that game is how balanced we looked, Manning made a huge difference - when he doesn't have to defend he's a really good outlet. It makes such a difference having players on their natural sides as you reduce the need to cut back, or turn back to get it on your favoured foot - so the pace is kept up and the forward movement is retained.

MOTM for Che well deserved, unlucky not to get 3. He's hit form at exactly the right time. Special mention to Brooks and Armstrong as well, I thought their movement and the way they were coming inside was causing PNE so many problems - the cute pass for Che's second goal was PL class from Brooks.

So, that's 1 down! Hasn't changed anything in terms of the outlook though, we still need to win all our remaining games and cannot drop a point. Let's get it a good go.

• Like 6

N the subject of Charles by the way, thought he had a decent second half performance, which just makes the mind boggle why he had that decent cameo against West Brom but was dropped the games either side of that when Downes was injured in favour of an out of position Smallbone.

You really could drive yourself mad critiquing even decision and result over a season.

• Like 5

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

He has not played in the Championship at all this season until now; so, last season.

We played really well today, especially in the first half.  A real team performance.  Second half, not so well although we did not give PNE a sniff of a goal; 0.07 XG says it all.  Many on here have lauded our 2nd half game management but Ipswich have a GD that is just two goals better than ours.  I just hope that we do not regret not trying harder to get a fourth or even fifth goal.

Onwards and upwards on Saturday!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

To be fair he hasn't played a game this season until tonight. He only played the last six Prem league games last season and we lost all of them apart from the Liverpool draw. So maybe it was against Sheffield Wednesday in the league cup last season. He saved the seventh penalty.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Downes, Aribo, Armstrong is comfortably our strongest midfield. Have to start the remaining games, no ifs or buts. 

Yes, that was one of the things that stood out tonight.    While there's the faintest of hope for automatic promotion and certainly in the play offs - the side that started tonight must be retained.    That means THB and Bednarek at CB; KWP at RB, AA wide left and the three midfielders you mention.   It was noticeable (particularly first half) how quickly we moved the ball and how little needless back passing took place.     Some of that change down to the late keeper change, but the creativity and run that Armstrong and Aribo bring balanced with the holding skills of Downes was also part of the faster movement, less needless passing for passing sake style.

• Like 6

Really good first half, on the front foot and looking to play forward a lot quicker than normal. Wondering if it’s because we didn’t have the option of using our sweeper keeper to play triangles on the edge of our box? 

Maybe it’s just because Preston were garbage 

• Like 3

Great result and at last the dominant 90+ minute performance everyone had been waiting for. Took our chances brilliantly, and one silly defensive slip aside didn't really let them have a sniff all game.

Gutted on a personal level for Baz, but personally think Macca (if indeed it turns out to be Macca who steps up) will be just fine as long as we don't ask him to play out too much.

Still think it's going to turn out to be too little, too late in terms of the automatics, but keeps it interesting for sure and Leicester and Leeds in particular will be a little more uncomfortable tonight and will be feeling the pressure. 

Fair play to the team and manager on a great performance and turning what many thought would be a nerve-wracking night into a very comfortable win, and good on Che for finding his shooting boots - he took both his goals very well. 

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

Really good first half, on the front foot and looking to play forward a lot quicker than normal. Wondering if it’s because we didn’t have the option of using our sweeper keeper to play triangles on the edge of our box? 

Preston were fucking terrible

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

A more useless individual would be hard to find.

I think "very good" is pushing it. He was ok but didn't have a great deal to do. He still worries me but think the defense is more balanced when he is playing. 

5 minutes ago, Jack said:

Hard to really gauge much conclusiveness on the GK situation from tonight, although we didn't use him as much as we used Gav - that's one takeaway I saw.

PNE were utterly awful though, as bad as Blackburn and Swansea. They just stood off us and let us play and move around them, they played like training cones in that first half it was embarrassingly easy.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

Manning

He played well but did not have much defending to do, the weakest part of his game - sadly for a defender - but he did well going forward.  I did not like the way he launched himself high into the air and the PNE penalty area when one of their defenders clipped his heel; he should have stayed in his feet and done something constructive with the ball.  Who knows, we might have scored.

36 minutes ago, Mr X said:

But I thought bazunu was a terrible keeper? that seems to be the consensus on here 

Matterhapse his is, matterhapse he isn't.

Doesn't mean we have better.

Is Kelvin still available?  Hes only up the road in Eastleigh.

What about Antti Niemi?  Hes only 51 and still a goalkeeping coach.

Even Shilts would do.  He could still do a job for us at 74.

Cracking win, not bothered in the least at the 2nd half caution. Big games coming up and every ounce of energy saved helps.

Great to see Che running into form. Once he starts scoring he usually continues for a while.

I thought Charles played well. He isn't Downes but no way should he not be part of the match day squad.

Gutted for Bazunu, McCarthy is going to have to earn his wages now. Thought he looked very rusty (to be expected) but hopefully he can see us home. He's experienced enough.

• Like 2

Let’s be honest Alex Brooker could have played in goal our defence was that good tonight. 
ok we didn’t score second half but I loved our desire and work rate to win it back and stop any attack.

Fair play to Shea didn’t put a foot wrong, Manning was good but had freedom of left side no-one to mark but did well. Balance of team looked very good creative moved it quick 3 great  goals could have been 5

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Interestingly we play 3 fixtures before Ipswich play again. Win them all ( tough ask when one is Leicester) and we go 4 points above Ipswich and that would mean pressure on them for their two games in hand.

I still don’t think we’ll get autos but at least we’re finally making a decent attempt of it.

• Like 2

That was basically the team everyone wanted, minus Baz and Fraser, and it looked to be the correct one. That's definitely the best defence and midfield three IMO, they were all superb. Shout out to Manning who's had some well earned criticism all season but looked every inch the player who was in last season's team of the year. PNE were dreadful. I can only assume they were already on the beach because they offered nothing all game. Between those two efforts which nearly caught their keeper off his line and Stu hitting the inside of the post, it could easily have been 5-0 at h/t. Second half we controlled the pace excellently and they never had a sniff.

The main down side to tonight is Baz's injury. If it's as bad as feared, he'll be out well into next season. Having to rely on McC and Lumley for the run in and playoffs is far from ideal.

• Like 3

Been out all evening so not followed the pre-match build up nor the game itself, so apologies if this had already been covered, but why did McCarthy get the nod over Lumley when Lumley was in the original squad and McCarthy wasn't? Seems a tad illogical?

P.s. great result! COYR!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Just now, trousers said:

Been out all evening so not followed the pre-match build up nor the game itself, so apologies if this had already been covered, but why did McCarthy get the nod over Lumley when Lumley was in the original squad and McCarthy wasn't?

Experience allegedly 

That was a phenomenal game tonight, that first half was faultless. From the moment the team was announced I thought “brilliant maybe the penny has dropped, play your strongest team”. 

I was shocked when Alex McCarthy walked out, was only later in the match I discovered what happened to Gavin Bazunu. 
Let’s not be fooled though, he had nothing to do, Preston were pitiful, he still is dodgy with his feet, he wasn’t treated to take goal kicks; and one thing I noticed is that we were passing moving forward with more intensity tonight - probably because AM can’t be trusted. He is still a crap goalkeeper.

Che Adams scored two goals, his passing and moving was superb tonight as well, absolutely well deserved. Notable shout outs to Adam Armstrong, Stu Armstrong, Joe Aribo, both full backs, centre backs etc - to summarise it was excellent all round.

Squeaky bum time for the teams above.

Goalkeeper position is concerning for the rest of the season. 
Also desperately hoping that Jack Stephens doesn’t return to the team, he is too slow and clearly doesn’t work in this back four/five.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Experience allegedly 

Yeah, I get that... But if that's the rationale then you'd have McCarthy as 2nd choice not 3rd choice in every match day squad, wouldn't you....? Not overly important in the general scheme of things, just curious...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yeah, I get that... But if that's the rationale then you'd have McCarthy as 2nd choice not 3rd choice in every match day squad, wouldn't you....? Not overly important in the general scheme of things, just curious...

Nope get that totally think we were all bit surprised given Lumley was cup goalkeeper and on bench season.

TBH he was so well protected it wasn’t an issue I did think we looked forward more and like way Alex threw it out quickly keeping up our tempo

• Like 1

Great performance. How Russell can change that back four (for Cardiff at least, another side we should dominate) I don't know.

Adams, Armstrong, Aribo, KWP, THB and Bednarek excellent.

Whatever the question, McCarthy isn't the answer. I feel sorry for Baz, but we've got another chance to get the RIGHT keeper in this summer by the sounds of it.

Jury's out for me with Brooks. Has he done enough as a starter? Suppose it would help for Edozie/Fraser to actually do something from the bench to challenge him.

Win on Saturday, and they've well and truly got me roped back in.

PS

Something I thought was funny.

Sulemana and Edozie get sent down the line for their warmup. They spend five minutes talking to each other and watching the game by the corner flag, doing exactly zero activity before sprinting back to the bench to get dressed. Must be fucking annoying for the poor pricks sat in the front row.

Don't know how common that is, and whether that's something that is picked up by the staff. Probably explains why they can't get a sniff of the pitch if they're putting in similar effort in training.

So close to my 4-0 prediction!

Dominant performance. Preston the perfect team for us to play. I dont think we'll have such an easy ride in our next four.

Win them all. Why not?

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Been out all evening so not followed the pre-match build up nor the game itself, so apologies if this had already been covered, but why did McCarthy get the nod over Lumley when Lumley was in the original squad and McCarthy wasn't? Seems a tad illogical?

P.s. great result! COYR!

Same as the end of last season... 🤔

He probably has something in his contract that states he must play the final games of each season 😉

• Confused 1

Congratulations to you, my friends, on last night's fine victory over Preston!

Now we have to keep up the pressure on the top 3 teams in the league.

We're keeping our fingers crossed for you here in Valenciennes and we sincerely wish you all the best for the end of the season!

• Like 12

Clearly many postings on here are concentrating on the goalkeeping situation, rather than the whole game.      Understandable perhaps. 

Those of you who constantly blame Bazunu when we concede goals (not correct btw), have another problem as depending on the severity of GB's injury,

( he may not even be fit for the season start in August) ..we need " another scapegoat " in case everything goes pear-shaped in the remaining key games..

I really think we should consider Joe Lumley, (if the man is going to be a serious alternative to GB).   Macca's lack of game time was obvious, despite

only needing to field ONE shot from a lack-lustre Preston side, he rarely looked confident with the ball.   Joe L's performances in the League Cup matches

weren't without merit (one goal conceded in three games).. until we went to Anfield, when the rest of our team didn't turn up and Liverpool played well.

As for the game yesterday - I was very enthusiastic until  at 3-0 I  realised that Preston were " playing statues " whenever we had the ball (74% ) and were 

happy to give it away whenever we challenged for possession.   How / why.. we didn't capitalise after HT is a mystery, although credit to their goalie

(Woodman) who made some great saves, and on another day we might easily have doubled the score.  (We had 23 shots to Preston's ONE in first half.) 

After being so confident about our recent revival, the remaining games will be even more stressful to watch with the goalkeeper situation unresolved,

and whoever "draws the short straw"  will be be remembered as hero, or villain when the season is all over, and RM will be blamed if he gets it wrong. 

That was an incredible 1st half and a very comfortable 2nd half. All players at least 7/10

Stu was ridiculous at times, Arma very good, Downes excellent. However, Che was my MoM, 2 goals, occupied their CBs, very good runs etc. led the line very well.

As other have said, without Baz in goal it seems we spent less time faffing/being brave at the back, which meant we were on the front foot a little more. That may be because Preston were terrible (or made to look terrible)

also, no surprise we looked so comfortable, got a clean sheet, never looked like conceding with the best players (bar maybe brooks/fraser) playing in their best position…

No shoe horn, no problem. Will the back 4 remain in place for Cardiff? Probably not, sadly.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 5

PNE looked like a deflated team after Sat but you can only beat what is Infront of you and we played some really good stuff.

McCarthy was fine and Che looks like he might be up for the next 5 cup finals. I hope so, an in form Che would be a scary prospect for the opposition.

Only regret was that we didn't twist the knife more in 2nd half and work on that g.d. Time will tell if that becomes relevant or not but PNE were there for the plundering.

10 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

So, why wasnt Mccarthy on the bench instead of Lumley in the first place 🤷‍♂️. Very odd. 

McCarthy’s contract rewards him significantly for being in the matchday squad (even if on the bench). It’s cheaper to have Lumley on the bench than McCarthy. However McC s the better keeper. So when you need the better keeper McCarthy comes straight in…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

So, why wasnt Mccarthy on the bench instead of Lumley in the first place 🤷‍♂️. Very odd. 

I don't understand how he was allowed to play as he wasn't on the team sheet, was he?  Would appreciate somebody explaining if they know. 

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

... don't think he was injured, and after Saturday's game he's still a hero, but at 3-0 we could afford to give Charles some extended game time. 

RM said in post match presser that he had a knock but should be ok for Saturday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Great result and at last the dominant 90+ minute performance everyone had been waiting for. Took our chances brilliantly, and one silly defensive slip aside didn't really let them have a sniff all game.

Gutted on a personal level for Baz, but personally think Macca (if indeed it turns out to be Macca who steps up) will be just fine as long as we don't ask him to play out too much.

Still think it's going to turn out to be too little, too late in terms of the automatics, but keeps it interesting for sure and Leicester and Leeds in particular will be a little more uncomfortable tonight and will be feeling the pressure. 

Fair play to the team and manager on a great performance and turning what many thought would be a nerve-wracking night into a very comfortable win, and good on Che for finding his shooting boots - he took both his goals very well. 

those 2 home loses to Hull and Millwall dented our auto chances big time, so much so were have no wiggle room for the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

That first half was the best football I’ve seen at St Mary’s for a long long time.

They we’re all on their game, fantastic!

Preston did on the beach 🏖️ better than us, I’m not happy! Can we not have anything that we are best at!