1st May Anniversary

For us dwindling band of older Saints 1st May is always a day of positive refelction.
Today 48 years ago I was up early polishing my flag, scarf and entry ticket (£6.00 for a seat not far from the Royal Box) expecting to see Second Division Saints brushed aside by a top rated Man Utd team.
Five us us left our local pub jammed into a Morris Marina Coupe, waved to all the supporters without tickets at the Chilworth roundabout, managed to get through the Hockley lights on the dual carriageway at Winchester without too much of a queue and join a procession of Saints supporters heading for Wembley in the sunshine.
The rest is history but gloating at the Man Utd supporters club coach broken down outside of Basingstoke after the historic victory was great fun as was the amount of people on bridges waving to us as we returned home.
A brilliant day which unfortunately for all the younger Saints fans is unlikely to happen again.

• Like 11

It's a shame on what the Cup has turned into. I know we have gone over it many times but the replay decision recently was just criminal. You can blame the FA and The EPL and the TV companies, and they are culpable, but do you know who I blame the most. The fans that want to finish 17th over a Cup Final, bunch of newbie wankers. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

For us dwindling band of older Saints 1st May is always a day of positive refelction.
Today 48 years ago I was up early polishing my flag, scarf and entry ticket (£6.00 for a seat not far from the Royal Box) expecting to see Second Division Saints brushed aside by a top rated Man Utd team.
Five us us left our local pub jammed into a Morris Marina Coupe, waved to all the supporters without tickets at the Chilworth roundabout, managed to get through the Hockley lights on the dual carriageway at Winchester without too much of a queue and join a procession of Saints supporters heading for Wembley in the sunshine.
The rest is history but gloating at the Man Utd supporters club coach broken down outside of Basingstoke after the historic victory was great fun as was the amount of people on bridges waving to us as we returned home.
A brilliant day which unfortunately for all the younger Saints fans is unlikely to happen again.

Yep, was a great day out and a so unexpected result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

It could have happened again quite recently had we not failed to turn up for the semi-final in 2018 and 2021. But the value of the FA Cup has been so devalued that it would not have been the same. In 76 it actually was world shattering news because the final at Wembley had global importance. Now it doesn't have the same impact. Which is something I use to console myself over 2008. That tainted victory over a lower division side really didn't impress the world.

2 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

It could have happened again quite recently had we not failed to turn up for the semi-final in 2018 and 2021. But the value of the FA Cup has been so devalued that it would not have been the same. In 76 it actually was world shattering news because the final at Wembley had global importance. Now it doesn't have the same impact. Which is something I use to console myself over 2008. That tainted victory over a lower division side really didn't impress the world.

FA Cup final is not the occasion it once was.  Remember the all day tv build up on both sides.  Now they just show cooking programmes for middle class wankers and boring cunts.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

The build up nationally in the week leading up to the final, the saturation coverage on the day. It was first item on all the National news that night and the next day. A never to be forgotten weekend….I still have the Saturday evening Sports edition Echo with the headline ‘It’s Ours’…….

Edited by SW5 SAINT
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Should be renamed Bobby Stokes Day

What, you mean it isn’t?  The first time I saw the Saints was the game v Blackpool in the 4th round, and my first midweek’er was the WBA replay - as a seven year old sat on the crash barrier under the West Stand with my Dad clinging on desperately to me. I can still remember the awe of being amongst all those smoking and swearing men, just about able to see the action. Mick Channon will always be my hero after that evening, but the trip to Wembley was something else. My Dad got us season tickets when the Family Centre opened (78/79?) and we were lucky enough over the coming years to enjoy one of the best eras of football in Southampton ever which the cup run without doubt kicked off..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Channons Windmill said:

What, you mean it isn’t?  The first time I saw the Saints was the game v Blackpool in the 4th round, and my first midweek’er was the WBA replay - as a seven year old sat on the crash barrier under the West Stand with my Dad clinging on desperately to me. I can still remember the awe of being amongst all those smoking and swearing men, just about able to see the action. Mick Channon will always be my hero after that evening, but the trip to Wembley was something else. My Dad got us season tickets when the Family Centre opened (78/79?) and we were lucky enough over the coming years to enjoy one of the best eras of football in Southampton ever which the cup run without doubt kicked off..

That era was a great time. I'm a couple of years younger than you and went to school outside of Southampton and was proud to be the only Saints fan. Brilliant times.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

2nd May 2011 - Saints got promoted from League 1, the same day Bin Laden was killed.

Keep 'em coming!

I know it's hard to believe but exactly one hundred years ago today the Netherlands refused to recognise the USSR.

I was 9 and became an active Saints fan on May 1st 1976, the original glory hunter.. Dad supports them and I was always going to be Saints but I wasn't actively bothered till that incredible day.