Congratulations to Nigel Pearson

SaintRobbie

I don't want to call you insular, but I'm amazed you didn't know who Nigel Pearson was????

He was the skipper during Boro's mad days when they signed Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson etc etc etc under Robson. He played in a few finals for them and was the backbone of their up/down side around that period.

He was also Captain for Sheff Weds during their mini revival in the early 90's when they were at Wembley and had a tidy side under Atkinson/Francis

He was not a well known name but like you I have done some research he was a in my opinion a Dodd like character I remember see him playing a few times.

He was also Captain for Sheff Weds during their mini revival in the early 90's when they were at Wembley and had a tidy side under Atkinson/Francis

I remember him elbowing a saints player on the half way line on the East stand and the ref missing it when he played for SW.

Mandaric has put £10m into Leicester this season.I sugest had the majority of clubs in the CCC done so this season many would get into the playoffs or better.To inject that into L1 and auto promotion should be attained.That is not a criticism of NP but it did help his situation.

Posted this yesterday as not sure about this £10m.

Think you need to get behind the words and really understand what he was saying.

Have a listen to this one and it's not exactly as you are saying:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/8004742.stm

And I think the £10m relates to prior monies invested (i.e. inc the pruchase and funding last season etc etc etc)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...nightmare.html

They have not spent big on transfer fees this season and the BBC interview refers to this quite clearly.

Benji I am sorry but I am fed up with all this NP love in I am more interested in the future.

We had to cut the coaching budget somehow and unfortunately NP had to go

Some people think one thing others another about how and what has happened but no one really knows what and when decisions which led to our demise happened.

Anyone who genuinely believes this is thick or deliberately blinkered.

I can't be bothered to explain why in detail, as it is obvious to all but the aforementioned thick and blinkered. Neverthless by way of one obvious example. Morgan Schneiderlin need not have been signed. Case closed.

Edited by benjii

Think you need to get behind the words and really understand what he was saying.

And I think the £10m relates to prior monies invested (i.e. inc the pruchase and funding last season etc etc etc)

They have not spent big on transfer fees this season and the BBC interview refers to this quite clearly.

Mandaric is a lucky Lowe, both like their faces in the media and also sack the manager at teh drop of a hat.

I saw an interview on Sky news and it was stated 10m this season and when asked who funded it he said nobody else.he also was in the Mail a few weeks ago stating he had bankrolled them over 8m this season. Of course it would not be transfer budget bit include keeping the high wage earners, look at our club losing 40+k a week after taking big slashes at the budget and so 10m goes nowhere with a big set up.

He was not a well known name but like you I have done some research he was a in my opinion a Dodd like character I remember see him playing a few times.

Research????

It's called going to matches and knowing your stuff.

off the top of my head other players around that time at Sheff Weds were:

Anderson, Nillson, Woods, Worthington, Palmer, Warhurts (i think), Bright & Hirst, Sheridan (maybe), Waddle, that yank bloke

As for that boro team:

Juninho, Ravanelli, Emerson (remember 4-0 down here and Ravanelli?? mising a penalty) Pallister, Barmby, Festa, Phil Stamp, Hignett

Benji I am sorry but I am fed up with all this NP love in I am more interested in the future.

Some people think one thing others another about how and what has happened but no one really knows what and when decisions which led to our demise happened.

I know exactly what decisions led to our demise.

The first one was when Wilde brought back Lowe.

After that we were doomed.

Obviously we can stay up but whether we will I dont know

Considering how many dare I say it Lows we have had it is time we had a high.

We played well at Reading out of the blue so we maybe able to do it again.

Now that is more like it John.:D

Rupert has asked me to get the team ready for Britians Got Talent....As we are all on here trying to put Nigel Pearson down on behalf of our Troupe leader..it is easier for me to give you notice that Ruperts Tarts are back in

training....Wednesday night Top Rank Ballroom 8pm. Bring your shirts and Pom Poms Groupies.:rolleyes:

Confirm when notified. Dibden Purley, Scudey, NickeyG (Left you out nickh two left feet and a reformed character) jonah (Bring Kim The whale with you and The crayons I need my stock replenishing..but do hang onto the abacus..I want you to get the figures for The Administrator right eventually)

Nineteen Canteen(Bring Rupes for the team talk and his chalk for the board..tactics and formations etc) And of course someone sensible The Professor..:)

This could well be the last hurrah.. team before we face Simon Cowell .Give it your best.....Who needs Pearson.....WE got Rupes.:smt018

I can't be bothered to explain why in detail, as it is obvious to all but the aforementioned thick and blinkered. Neverthless by way of one obvious example. Morgan Schneiderlin need not have been signed. Case closed.

Being abusive hardly enhances your case does it.

Go on develop your argument and we may come to some agreement.

I just think the finances were so bad that desperate action was needed to reduce costs.

Research????

Anderson, Nillson, Woods, Worthington, Palmer, Warhurts (i think), Bright & Hirst, Sheridan (maybe), Waddle, that yank bloke

As for that boro team:

Juninho, Ravanelli, Emerson (remember 4-0 down here and Ravanelli?? mising a penalty) Pallister, Barmby, Festa, Phil Stamp, Hignett

I dont admit to be as knowlegeable as you but I did look up Pearson when he was appointed and remembered him playing.

Being abusive hardly enhances your case does it.

Go on develop your argument and we may come to some agreement.

I just think the finances were so bad that desperate action was needed to reduce costs.

The argument, in a nutshell is that we wasted money on a load of ****e and would have been better off spending a fraction of that on Nigel Pearson. It's really quite simple.

We also should have sold some players in January it seems but the revisionists don't seem able to accept that either.

Without a shadow of a doubt the single most stupid decision in the recent history of this club. To get rid of the established manager, riding on the crest of a last minute wave and replacing him with a man with no experience of British football whatsoever...

The fact that Pearson has gone on to raise a championship winning side just rubs massive salt in the wound...

Without a doubt the most stupid decision Lowe has ever made.... and there is really stiff competition...

Says it all really. Totally agree. If we had kept Pearson I do not believe we we would be in danger of relegation or broke.

Thanks Rupert.

Sadly, Saint in Winchester has just retreated into that Groundhog Day excuse that Pearson was too expensive.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unbelieavble:D

Just out of interest, anyone got up to date points comparison between Pearson and Wotte whilst here?

Wotte: 1.125 points per game = 52 per season (borderline safety?)

NP: 1.23 points per game = 57 per season (safety)

JP: 0.93 points per game = 43 per season (down)

Lowe's Revolutionary Coaching set up: 1 point per game = 46 per season (down)

HTH

Research????

As for that boro team:

Oh dear...... If you were chocolate you really would eat yourself....

Oh dear...... If you were chocolate you really would eat yourself....

Yeehah:smt117

LMFAO

The deadline passed

If the deadline passes then fair play to Rupes for sorting the finances out

But Oh!!!!

Edited by um pahars
A fit of the giggles

Would you really say someone who had managed Carlisle, Saints and Leicester; caretaker managed WBA and Newcastle and been involved with the England set-up "unproven"? Not sure I would - when do you get to be proven?? Does his Leciester side running away with League 1 help at all?

PS can you also claim that "no one knew who he was when he was appointed" a 'fact'? (just because you didn't know him, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't...). Or maybe that just the 'stuff' you refer to?

he is still unproven in the way some talk of him as "the best young manager in Britain" etc etc.

As I said in a previous post, L1 has been won by/promoted from by a fair few managers that most Saints fans would look down their nose at.

And Christ, just to confirm, again, when Pearson was appointed, I had heard of him, I knew the name and remembered him as a player, specifically for Middlesborough and Sheff Weds.

Lots of fans on here hadn't even got that knowledge. I'd say it was about nine in ten had my level of knowledge or less.

And could I pick his photo of him, as a manager, out of a line up on the day before he was appointed, no.

Could I name the man who was WBA caretaker manager for two games in September 2006 if someone had asked me on the day before he was appointed as Saints manager?

No and neither could the so-called lifelong Pearson experts giving it large on here.

Was he on my top twenty names in the frame on the day before his appointment? No. Was he for anyone? No, he wasn't.

No one knew him as a manager was my point. And none of you did.

Enough bloody revisionism, for christ's sake.

he is still unproven in the way some talk of him as "the best young manager in Britain" etc etc.

As I said in a previous post, L1 has been won by/promoted from by a fair few managers that most Saints fans would look down their nose at.

And Christ, just to confirm, again, when Pearson was appointed, I had heard of him, I knew the name and remembered him as a player, specifically for Middlesborough and Sheff Weds.

Lots of fans on here hadn't even got that knowledge. I'd say it was about nine in ten had my level of knowledge or less.

And could I pick his photo of him, as a manager, out of a line up on the day before he was appointed, no.

Could I name the man who was WBA caretaker manager for two games in September 2006 if someone had asked me on the day before he was appointed as Saints manager?

No and neither could the so-called lifelong Pearson experts giving it large on here.

Was he on my top twenty names in the frame on the day before his appointment? No. Was he for anyone? No, he wasn't.

I think you need to distinguish between the two themes running here.

The first one is fair enough, in that Pearson was pretty much an unknown with regards his managerial potential/calibre. He certainly had a decent track record of being an assistant/coach, but as we have found out to our cost that doesn't mean jack with regards stepping up to the plate.

But the second theme, which is the one some have had a pop about, is that fact that Pearson as a person was an unknown, or at least to 90% of us (that's what The Farmer was getting at) and I have to say I find that hard to fathom as Pearson was a pretty "big" player for a fair few years at Sheff Weds and Boro (Wembley appearances as Captain etc)

John you say you are interested in the future but spend the majority of the time trying to defend the indefensible. History has shown that Lowe has made a catalogue of mistakes that have compounded the mistakes that others also made during his absence from the Chair.

If shaving a few £10's of K's of the coaching budget has meant relegation do you think this is money well spent because the banks certainly didn't.

Research????

As for that boro team:

Kiddies must be backat school this week Stevie so you can get back to polishing the Godwin ego in the classroom. I hope to god you are off to Cambodia this Summer to save the poor and/or nutty children. I don't think we could stand six solid weeks or your Walter Mitty ramblings...

Yeehah:smt117

LMFAO

The deadline passed

But Oh!!!!

. I hope to god you are off to Cambodia this Summer to save the poor and/or nutty children. ...

Are you lonely now that Tim has disappeared off the radar:rolleyes:;-)

FYI I'm off to Bangladesh this summer to work with victims of Ox bites and helping with the rebuilding of a Dam in the Upper Dekkiad Region which was destroyed by a build up of methane gas from the local livestock.:smt117:smt117

Then off to China to work with David Gest's charity.

BTW Why doesn't your band do a stint for this Saints Aid thingy:smt035:smt109:smt020:smt041:supz::smt035

Rock n Roll

Are you lonely now that Tim has disappeared off the radar:rolleyes:;-)

FYI I'm off to Bangladesh this summer to work with victims of Ox bites and helping with the rebuilding of a Dam in the Upper Dekkiad Region which was destroyed by a build up of methane gas from the local livestock.:smt117:smt117

Then off to China to work with David Gest's charity.

BTW Why doesn't your band do a stint for this Saints Aid thingy:smt035:smt109:smt020:smt041:supz::smt035

Rock n Roll

I love that you think I have a band! LOL lmfao etc....It's so far off the mark I can only assume Duncan is giving you your inside info!

I love that you think I have a band! LOL lmfao etc....It's so far off the mark I can only assume Duncan is giving you your inside info!

Don't worry, we're all in this together now. There's no need to be so secretive.:D

If you still post on the Ugly Inside board just let Nick Ill know and I'm sure he could get you a gig.:smt038:smt035:smt020:supz:

Rock 'n' Roll:smt117:smt117

Saved me a job Um, cheers.

It really is the laziest of lazy arguments to just point to a figurehead and say "he's got money" (therefore they are successful). As we all know, that doesn't always work - and wasn't even the case with Leicester under Pearson. It's just their way of p*ssing on the success that NP has had this season, and does him (and those who spout it) a great disservice. Also a handy (albeit transparent!) smokescreen to avoid criticisim of Lowe/Wilde for getting rid of him, just when he couild have taken us forward, and appointing our 'revolutionary' dutch duo.

Just admit the guy has done very well - through hard work, technical nous, and a good understanding of the English leagues - and he has succeeded.

Saved me a job Um, cheers.

It really is the laziest of lazy arguments to just point to a figurehead and say "he's got money" (therefore they are successful). As we all know, that doesn't always work - and wasn't even the case with Leicester under Pearson. It's just their way of p*ssing on the success that NP has had this season, and does him (and those who spout it) a great disservice. Also a handy (albeit transparent!) smokescreen to avoid criticisim of Lowe/Wilde for getting rid of him, just when he couild have taken us forward, and appointing our 'revolutionary' dutch duo.

Just admit the guy has done very well - through hard work, technical nous, and a good understanding of the English leagues - and he has succeeded.

it is also a lazy aguement to say NP got promotion as he is brilliant and not look at the underlying facts.He didnt have to cull the CCC squad on relegation as the chairman picked up the bill, add to that he was supported in getting some good loans in from the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool.

Yes he has done well but on a decent budget, it has nothing to do with defending RL it is down to the fact that he was well supported and also his own attributes.

Please tell me if things had gone t###s up on the last day of last season when it was not in our hands would you still have thought he was a great manager, he was a lcuky manager at that time and that is a good attribute

Did anyone say that?

Aah.. those were the days, not many we'd look down our noses at now though eh?, after Lowe's latest couple of dudd's...!

I think you're doing your fellow fans a disservice - after 10-15 years of blanket Sky TV coverage, plus MOTD etc. and NP playing for the most part in the top flight, and lifting a cup at Wembley for Sheff Weds (not to mention the "Jimmy Glass incident" at Carlisle) I think most people would know who he was - surprised at his appointment, no doubt, but know who he was...

...and what he looked like!

That's not the same as not knowing who he is though, is it?

I don't think anyone is claiming to be a "Pearson expert" - just we had some knowledge of him, and I think you have to forgive the frustration at the moment for us "throwing away" a very competent, promising manager who seemed to have turned the corner - for yet another "revolutionary idea" (God, I hope we've seen the last of them - whatever IS wrong with just appointing a sensible and hardworking manager?).

Nor mine, but then neither was Branfoot, Jones, Gray, Strachan, Wigley, Sturrock, Redknapp, Poortvliet or Wotte. This is Saints remember...

I just knew what I knew about him - his #2 record, this caretaker spells, Carlisle, the England set-up.

No revisionism at all, just "facts, and stuff"...

it is also a lazy aguement to say NP got promotion as he is brilliant and not look at the underlying facts.He didnt have to cull the CCC squad on relegation as the chairman picked up the bill, add to that he was supported in getting some good loans in from the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool.

Yes he has done well but on a decent budget, it has nothing to do with defending RL it is down to the fact that he was well supported and also his own attributes.

Please tell me if things had gone t###s up on the last day of last season when it was not in our hands would you still have thought he was a great manager, he was a lcuky manager at that time and that is a good attribute

Not sure anyone is saying he's "brilliant" - although to be fair to him, I would argue he's done a "brilliant job" in a tough league (as we'll find out next season). I think we're just saying he's competent, sensible, hard-working, a decent enough tactician, seemingly a good motivator, and one who has used the loan system, and his wide contacts, well - just the obvious things you'd look for in a manager. The tragedy is that we had him, and we let him go - and again, this doesn't mean I think he's on par wtih Fergie or Wenger, just a good solid manager who I still believe would have got the squad we have into mid-table this year. Of course, that is conjecture - we'll never know. What we do know is that we are going to relegated, and Leicester are going to be promoted as champions. The thread is about congratulating Nigel Pearson and Leicester, and I do, wholeheartedly. In fact I'd like to see him get to the Premiership next year (I doubt that will happen by the way), I wish the fella only good luck. He seems like a gentleman and a professional.

To answer your question, I'd have been mightly p*ssed off had we of gone down, but I do - hand on heart - think that I'd have wanted us to stick with him and he'd have given us a decent chance of promotion. And by the way, I don't think it was all luck last year - it played a massive part, not disputing that - but in the WBA game, I thought he got his subsitutions and tactics exactly right, and that point was vital.

Anyway, what's done is done. Well done Nigel.

John you say you are interested in the future but spend the majority of the time trying to defend the indefensible. History has shown that Lowe has made a catalogue of mistakes that have compounded the mistakes that others also made during his absence from the Chair.

If shaving a few £10's of K's of the coaching budget has meant relegation do you think this is money well spent because the banks certainly didn't.

Sorry but last summer I thought the idea was to get the club into a better financial position and relegation was more than a possibility.

As it appears the bank moved the goal posts the whole plan completely failed.

We had to show to the bank we were cutting costs so we were getting in less experienced personnel.

It is easy talking in hindsight that Morgan was not worth whate we paid for him but Surman and Lallana did not play well either and their transfer value has plummeted.

I dont think it was an easy task to cut costs and to to try and keep in the Championship but at the time it appeared to be a reasonable approach with Svensson back in defence and the three I mentioned plus Holmes but neither of the five played at their best consistently or played because of injury.

Not sure anyone is saying he's "brilliant" - although to be fair to him, I would argue he's done a "brilliant job" in a tough league (as we'll find out next season). I think we're just saying he's competent, sensible, hard-working, a decent enough tactician, seemingly a good motivator, and one who has used the loan system, and his wide contacts, well - just the obvious things you'd look for in a manager. The tragedy is that we had him, and we let him go - and again, this doesn't mean I think he's on par wtih Fergie or Wenger, just a good solid manager who I still believe would have got the squad we have into mid-table this year. Of course, that is conjecture - we'll never know. What we do know is that we are going to relegated, and Leicester are going to be promoted as champions. The thread is about congratulating Nigel Pearson and Leicester, and I do, wholeheartedly. In fact I'd like to see him get to the Premiership next year (I doubt that will happen by the way), I wish the fella only good luck. He seems like a gentleman and a professional.

To answer your question, I'd have been mightly p*ssed off had we of gone down, but I do - hand on heart - think that I'd have wanted us to stick with him and he'd have given us a decent chance of promotion. And by the way, I don't think it was all luck last year - it played a massive part, not disputing that - but in the WBA game, I thought he got his subsitutions and tactics exactly right, and that point was vital.

Anyway, what's done is done. Well done Nigel.

Exactly. It's no surprise the big clubs in the prem pay their managers big money - on a par with their best players cos they have realised that the manager is one of the most important ingredients.

It's how Ramos at Spurs with one squad got 2 points from 8 games and how Redknapp (as much as it grates) with the same squad got another 40 points. Pearson should have been kept even if he was on 120K and we saved, say, 60K by getting rid of him. He had the team organised, motivated and it had just achieved a huge psychological boost after staying up at the end of season.

To say we need to save 60K on the managerial wage bill but on the player wage can afford Gasmi and Pulis' wages (say 100K) - is perverse. It smacks of someone fundamentally misunderstanding the impact a good manager can have on a team. Someone who appoints Head Coaches and not Managers. Someone who let his personal feelings towards Leon Crouch to get in the way of a rational decision. That handicapped the club from the start and the rest is history.

All we can now do is look forward......or down, as the case seems to be

Exactly. It's no surprise the big clubs in the prem pay their managers big money - on a par with their best players cos they have realised that the manager is one of the most important ingredients.

And that was one of Lowe's biggest faults - believing that a manager (sorry *coach*) was just another "cog in the wheel" of the club, no more or less important that the other components. Hence his belief that anyone - Gray, Wigley, Poortvliet, possibly even Lowe himself - could pick up the reigns and succeed, as long as the overall 'system' was right.

A fatal flaw that no one on the board ever challenged him on, and we fans just had to put up with - with the obvious results....

We had to show to the bank we were cutting costs so we were getting in less experienced personnel.

Quite the most ludicrous thing I've heard all year and the falsest of all false economies!! Well done Rupert - seriously, could he have been any more stoopid...

And that was one of Lowe's biggest faults - believing that a manager (sorry *coach*) was just another "cog in the wheel" of the club, no more or less important that the other components. Hence his belief that anyone - Gray, Wigley, Poortvliet, possibly even Lowe himself - could pick up the reigns and succeed, as long as the overall 'system' was right.

A fatal flaw that no one on the board ever challenged him on, and we fans just had to put up with - with the obvious results....

Hammer. Nail. Head. Thank you SW11_Saint.

Quite the most ludicrous thing I've heard all year and the falsest of all false economies!! Well done Rupert - seriously, could he have been any more stoopid...

It might seem stupid but that is what had to happen

Even knocking off £100000 or so off the weekly wage bill did not help either.

It might seem stupid but that is what had to happen

Even knocking off £100000 or so off the weekly wage bill did not help either.

Don't you understand nobody else believes this 'Pearson was too expensive' baloney ? :confused:

NP was disposed of to make room for Rupert Lowe's predetermined choice of coach (Poortvleit) and this whole wages nonsense to just put forward as the flimsiest of pretexts to justify this egregious decision and mislead the more gullible members of our fanbase - obviously it worked .

Kiddies must be backat school this week Stevie so you can get back to polishing the Godwin ego in the classroom. I hope to god you are off to Cambodia this Summer to save the poor and/or nutty children. I don't think we could stand six solid weeks or your Walter Mitty ramblings...

These would be "ramblings" that make total sense to me.

Not to mention the fact that anyone worth their salt (Date of birth permitting) knows exactly what Pearson the player represented: Strength, leadership & organisation. Anyone with a database of football following intellect would recall this. It's called knowledge - NOT the ability to google and snipe in front of a computer.

I think he's more than shown the qualities he had as a player in his managerial achievements over the past 14th months alone.

He saved a desperate Saints side last year and won promotion as Champions this year.

Bickering aside, what else was he supposed to accomplish?

Obviously the only thing he did was achieve the remits demanded upon him.

RUBBISH.