Congratulations to Nigel Pearson

SaintRobbie

You've got to be kidding, they only hit the D&G panic button on the Sunday and the first phone call was to NP which was the first he'd even heard about it (despite Crouch's claims it was a "thorough process") - and the day after he was appointed manager. So let's at least call a spade a spade, NP was plucked from obscurity the same as JP and MW, had even less experience in management and had a similar record points/game record whilst in charge. I'm happy enough that the end result of scraping survival by 20 minutes justified those means at the time (despite us previously heading for the playoffs), but taking NP off Chris McMenemy's books was no more astute than taking on JP - they were unknowns and a gamble. After 13 matches there was little difference other than the fact NP left to be euligised on here whereas JP had to carry on - and nobody was that unhappy with JP after 13 matches either.

So yes, well done NP on getting Leicester, promoted, but so what? It's cringeworthy trying to make this some veiled "look at what we could have won" type analogy - different players, different finances, different league. And you know full well that if NP had been kept on and we were still in this position then you'd have a different tune - blaming lack of investment or not getting rid of him sooner, etc. I can't believe how many people are more interested in still trying to score points than in supporting SFC - all we need now is someone to start mentioning Lee Hoos and how we missed out on his abilities too...

I think you're managing to find the downside of every little detail you've pointed to.

For starters, Pearson wasn't plucked from obscurity. He had quite a good track record of experience at many levels, including assisting in the England setup, at one point.

Whatever your take on Crouch's thorough process, you could be a little more charitable, and give him the benefit of the doubt.

I was unhappy with the Dutch experiment from the word go. However, as a supporter, I did the supporter thing and gave it my support until it became obvious the Board had made an unnecessary policy/personnel change.

As for Lee Hoos, I have exchanged correspondance with the guy, while working for GITR, and my colleagues have met him through GITR. Their opinion, which I respect, was that he was a thoroughly approachable and helpful bloke, who very much opened the doors for us to SFC.

Now, I'm not insulting or bickering. Just providing a little balance to your post.

Congratulations Nigel, but don't understand why you couldn't make a quick impact in your 14 games here. If you replicated your record at Saints to Leicester and exprapolated that over a season I doubt you would have got promoted quite so easily. Not wishing to rain on your parade Nigel but what took you so long? Surely. you should have wrapped it all up in 40 games at least with such advantages.

Clearly a combination of money, good players and vastly inferior opposition has served you very well indeed. Once again my hearty congratulations and look forward to you achieving it again next season as some fans on this forum seem to be under the impression you are Brian Clough reincarnated.

BTW the single most stupid mistake Lowe made was the belief that the fans would support his efforts to save the club.

ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

You've got to be kidding, they only hit the D&G panic button on the Sunday and the first phone call was to NP which was the first he'd even heard about it (despite Crouch's claims it was a "thorough process") - and the day after he was appointed manager. So let's at least call a spade a spade, NP was plucked from obscurity the same as JP and MW, had even less experience in management and had a similar record points/game record whilst in charge. I'm happy enough that the end result of scraping survival by 20 minutes justified those means at the time (despite us previously heading for the playoffs), but taking NP off Chris McMenemy's books was no more astute than taking on JP - they were unknowns and a gamble. After 13 matches there was little difference other than the fact NP left to be euligised on here whereas JP had to carry on - and nobody was that unhappy with JP after 13 matches either.

So yes, well done NP on getting Leicester, promoted, but so what? It's cringeworthy trying to make this some veiled "look at what we could have won" type analogy - different players, different finances, different league. And you know full well that if NP had been kept on and we were still in this position then you'd have a different tune - blaming lack of investment or not getting rid of him sooner, etc. I can't believe how many people are more interested in still trying to score points than in supporting SFC - all we need now is someone to start mentioning Lee Hoos and how we missed out on his abilities too...

I agree Pearson was a big gamble, but gambling on a Dutch unknown who knows little about this league and players available for loans ect, is just stupidity and ego driven.

Agreed the points difference isn't much different, but the formation and shape of the team looked a lot better than what we have witnessed lately. The players have looked unfit and clueless of what they are supposed to be doing. I didn't see the Sheff Weds game, but sounds very much like the Charlton, Wolves game. A team with no shape, no motivation and no clue. That you didn't get with Pearson in his last five games.

Compared to last season, our players look like they have given up the fight.

Congratulations Nigel, but don't understand why you couldn't make a quick impact in your 14 games here. If you replicated your record at Saints to Leicester and exprapolated that over a season I doubt you would have got promoted quite so easily. Not wishing to rain on your parade Nigel but what took you so long? Surely. you should have wrapped it all up in 40 games at least with such advantages.

Clearly a combination of money, good players and vastly inferior opposition has served you very well indeed. Once again my hearty congratulations and look forward to you achieving it again next season as some fans on this forum seem to be under the impression you are Brian Clough reincarnated.

BTW the single most stupid mistake Lowe made was the belief that the fans would support his efforts to save the club.

I will also add that if you do win the Championship next season, the post above will apply again, as anyone that has the most money to spend, getting the best players should win the league with ease. If not, then don't worry, Scotland will come calling for you soon.

Regards,

Nineteen Canteen.

Congratulations to NP, a decent young english manager who I'm sure will go on to have a great career in the game.

Even by the abysmal standards of loopy Lowe his departure has to be right up there in the all time screw up list.

For starters, Pearson wasn't plucked from obscurity. He had quite a good track record of experience at many levels, including assisting in the England setup, at one point.

I partly agree, just like JP wasn't plucked from obscurity either - a World Cup finalist no less. But whichever way you dress it up, he wasn't a league manager was he - which is why nobody thought he'd be on a short-list for a 13 match run-in when everyone assumed we'd go for an experienced manager. I remember Dave Merrington saying he was "shocked" at the appointment.

Whatever your take on Crouch's thorough process, you could be a little more charitable, and give him the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't realise we had to be charitable - I would feel more like being charitable about his appointment if there were more things to be charitable about... apart from some hindsight of seeing how he did at a totally different club, with totally different finances and in a totally different league, I'm only left with the facts that he phoned NP out of the blue after we lost to BR in the cup and he made him manager the next day. I said I was glad we stayed up and that was what ultimately mattered as far as that decision was concerned (despite Crouch's claims we were heading to the playoffs).

As for Lee Hoos, I have exchanged correspondance with the guy, while working for GITR, and my colleagues have met him through GITR. Their opinion, which I respect, was that he was a thoroughly approachable and helpful bloke, who very much opened the doors for us to SFC.

I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke, but why does everything on here have to be about how "nice" people are rather than whether they actually do a decent job? Hence my quip about someone was bound to mention him in this context. That NP was "nice". Lee Hoos was "nice". To keep this balanced this is also the guy who advocated us increasing wages at a time when cuts were desperately required, and who blindly accepted Wilde's claims at face value with no proof of investment (something we discussed in private and he wouldn't accept Wilde couldn't be trusted). Having claimed it was all about Wilde's vision and plans and that was what convinced him to join SFC rather than other jobs, he then helped kicked him out yet stayed on for a full 2 years. He then took a full payoff and popped up at Leicester within a couple of weeks (though the blame for that lies more with the muppets who fixed the payoffs and wrote the contracts!).

I'm pleased to hear he helped with GITR, because when the Chernobyl Kids came over to SMS (funded by saintslist) he was unable to keep his lunchtime appointment with them which didn't look very good - afterwards they were told he was delayed in a meeting. Not a big deal in itself, but there you go.

I partly agree, just like JP wasn't plucked from obscurity either - a World Cup finalist no less. But whichever way you dress it up, he wasn't a league manager was he - which is why nobody thought he'd be on a short-list for a 13 match run-in when everyone assumed we'd go for an experienced manager. I remember Dave Merrington saying he was "shocked" at the appointment.

I didn't realise we had to be charitable - I would feel more like being charitable about his appointment if there were more things to be charitable about... apart from some hindsight of seeing how he did at a totally different club, with totally different finances and in a totally different league, I'm only left with the facts that he phoned NP out of the blue after we lost to BR in the cup and he made him manager the next day. I said I was glad we stayed up and that was what ultimately mattered as far as that decision was concerned (despite Crouch's claims we were heading to the playoffs).

I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke, but why does everything on here have to be about how "nice" people are rather than whether they actually do a decent job? Hence my quip about someone was bound to mention him in this context. That NP was "nice". Lee Hoos was "nice". To keep this balanced this is also the guy who advocated us increasing wages at a time when cuts were desperately required, and who blindly accepted Wilde's claims at face value with no proof of investment (something we discussed in private and he wouldn't accept Wilde couldn't be trusted). Having claimed it was all about Wilde's vision and plans and that was what convinced him to join SFC rather than other jobs, he then helped kicked him out yet stayed on for a full 2 years. He then took a full payoff and popped up at Leicester within a couple of weeks (though the blame for that lies more with the muppets who fixed the payoffs and wrote the contracts!).

I'm pleased to hear he helped with GITR, because when the Chernobyl Kids came over to SMS (funded by saintslist) he was unable to keep his lunchtime appointment with them which didn't look very good - afterwards they were told he was delayed in a meeting. Not a big deal in itself, but there you go.

I know we both want what's best for SFC, and it's obvious we wanted it done slightly differently in recent seasons. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

It's fair to say nine out of ten saints fans didn't have a clue who he was when the appointment was made. Despite his credentials, that's obscurity in anyone's book.

Not having a go at NP, the boy's done good, but he was a pretty left field candidate.

Oh, and he just happened to be best chums with Lawrie's son, which played more part in the appointment than any lightbulb in Leon's head.

Why can't the Lowe Luvvies accept Pearson's done very well at Leicester, certainly better than Jan or Wotte would have done, and it was a massive mistake not keeping him.

This constant sniping and "kept us up by 20 mins" line, is getting boring. He obviously got the job at Leicester on the back of what he did at saints, so must have impressed some people. Supporters of WBA and Newcastle speak very highly of him, following his caretaker roles there, and obviously Leicester fans are happy with him. It seems to me that the only set of supporters who seem to run him down are Rupert Lowe's fan Club .

It's fair to say nine out of ten saints fans didn't have a clue who he was when the appointment was made. Despite his credentials, that's obscurity in anyone's book.

Not having a go at NP, the boy's done good, but he was a pretty left field candidate.

Oh, and he just happened to be best chums with Lawrie's son, which played more part in the appointment than any lightbulb in Leon's head.

still knew more about him than i did JP and Wotte

Thats a complete and utter BS estimation. You are either an extremely fairweather football fan of under 10 years old if you had never heard of Nigel Pearson.

Senior career

1981–1987 Shrewsbury Town 153 apps

1987–1994 Sheffield Wednesday 180 apps

1994–1998 Middlesbrough 115

Teams managed (Before Saints)

1998–1999 Carlisle United

2006 West Bromwich Albion (caretaker)

2007 England U21 (caretaker)

2007 Newcastle United (caretaker)

Why can't the Lowe Luvvies accept Pearson's done very well at Leicester, certainly better than Jan or Wotte would have done, and it was a massive mistake not keeping him.

This constant sniping and "kept us up by 20 mins" line, is getting boring. He obviously got the job at Leicester on the back of what he did at saints, so must have impressed some people. Supporters of WBA and Newcastle speak very highly of him, following his caretaker roles there, and obviously Leicester fans are happy with him. It seems to me that the only set of supporters who seem to run him down are Rupert Lowe's fan Club .

Look, Lowe's gone (good riddance) and there is no sense on bringing him up time and again, but as raised earlier it does not mean I have to rate Pearson.

Thats a complete and utter BS estimation. You are either an extremely fairweather football fan of under 10 years old if you had never heard of Nigel Pearson.

Senior career

1981–1987 Shrewsbury Town 153 apps

1987–1994 Sheffield Wednesday 180 apps

1994–1998 Middlesbrough 115

Teams managed (Before Saints)

1998–1999 Carlisle United

2006 West Bromwich Albion (caretaker)

2007 England U21 (caretaker)

2007 Newcastle United (caretaker)

Oh yeah, I remember now, all those posts on here saying - you know, him, he used to play for Shrewsbury :rolleyes:

Sorry, the appointment of Pearson was met with a collective shrug, or worse.

The hindsight its easy to layer it on thick that everyone was dancing in the streets like the favourite son had been brought in but essentially no-one had heard of him, except maybe as a player, if you want a caveat.

The Carlisle thing is a good example - everyone including me could recall "Jimmy Glass" instantly, but not who the manager was. I was surprised to find out it was Pearson, and I only found out on his appointment that it was him all those years ago.

And a better example is I know a few Leicester fans and none of them had heard of him except him as Saints manager the season before.

This is what makes me laugh about Pearson - you can make innoculous and innocent but perfectly true remarks and certain posters get ridiculously upset as if any minor tiny slight against Nigel bloody Pearson is like a slight on their mother.

Collective shrug on his appointment. Fact.

Congratulations to Pearson, would still be our manager if it wasn't for a grade A c*nt who goes my the name of Rupert Lowe.

Congratulations to Pearson, would still be our manager if we had unlimited funds like Milan Mandaric has to pay his high wage demands which were unsustainable this season with our lowering revenue stream.

Come the glorious day ... and we have new owners, we may be able to afford to sustain a high quality more expensive manager.

Congratulations to Pearson, would still be our manager if we had unlimited funds like Milan Mandaric has to pay his high wage demands which were unsustainable this season with our lowering revenue stream.

Come the glorious day ... and we have new owners, we may be able to afford to sustain a high quality more expensive manager.

So now we're back to Nigel Pearson's high wage demands pricing him out:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haven't heard that little ditty for a while and thought we put that one to bed.

Groundhog day all round then LOL:smt117

virtually no-one wanted him appointed, virtually no-one thought it was a good appointment.

virtually no-one thinks he did badly here. Most agree he did somewhere between pretty good to good.

virtually no-one wanted him sacked and replaced by JP. Virtually all of us wanted him to be given a close season to take the team forward.

all must have agree that he has done well this season.

virtually no-one wanted him appointed, virtually no-one thought it was a good appointment.

virtually no-one thinks he did badly here. Most agree he did somewhere between pretty good to good.

virtually no-one wanted him sacked and replaced by JP. Virtually all of us wanted him to be given a close season to take the team forward.

All in agreement with Nick..say i...

Well put Nick..:cool:

Yes indeed. In the Saint Web's independent survey, aproximately [can't remember the exact figure] 95% wanted Pearson to stay.

In Radio Hampshire's independent survey, started several days after TSW's one, 96% wanted Pearson to stay.

Could it have been possible that we saw something in Pearson that the previous incumbent Board couldn't..? No. Us 95/96% were the lunatic fringe. ;-)

Collective shrug on his appointment. Fact.

You are moving the goal posts now. You stated that 9 out of 10 fans didn't even know who he was!! Garnted, we were not being overly thrilled at getting Mourinho, but when are we happy with any appointment though?

You are labelling the majority of Saints fan with having no general football knowledge. Cheers for that mate, Lowe would be proud of you.

I have been going to football regularly( for over 3 decades), watching the same games, soccer am, motd etc as everyone else -but I couldn't picture him when it was announced and rang another saints season ticket holder -who has another 10 years on me and he didn't have a clue who he was - guess our football knowledge is poor!

I have been going to football regularly, watching the same games, soccer am, motd etc as everyone else -but I couldn't picture him when it was announced and rang another saints season ticket holder -who has another 10 years on me and he didn't have a clue who he was - guess our football knowledge is poor!

Should of collected Panini sticker albums like all the other cool kids then.

See you tomorrow.

So now we're back to Nigel Pearson's high wage demands pricing him out:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haven't heard that little ditty for a while and thought we put that one to bed.

Groundhog day all round then LOL:smt117

Yes, there's an old chestnut I thought we'd cracked. I thought we'd found out that Pearson was willing to accept a massive drop in salary in order to stay on, but never got the chance to say No thanks, because he was swiftly shown the door, by the incoming Board.

I personally can't see a case for him costing more than Wotte and Portaloo, but if you want to believe that, fair enough.

More than the combined wages of Gasmi, Pulis, Forecast, Robertson, Pekhart, Wotte, Portaloo, Schneiderlin (and the £400k a year for 3 years or whatever it was he costs)?

I honnestly can't believe anyone actually bought that story.

I personally can't see a case for him costing more than Wotte and Portaloo, but if you want to believe that, fair enough.

More than the combined wages of Gasmi, Pulis, Forecast, Robertson, Pekhart, Wotte, Portaloo, Schneiderlin (and the £400k a year for 3 years or whatever it was he costs)?

I honnestly can't believe anyone actually bought that story.

Mike Wilde Did

Managers salary is always pretty small in comparison to players.

Any saving you make on salary would be wiped out with just 1 poor signing (Scheiderlin, Gasmi, Peckhart, Pulis, Molyneux....) anyway so hiring a a manger because they are cheap will never be cost effective.

Congratulations have to go to Lowe though, he has achieved the impossible - he's made Mad Milan look like a shrewd judge of manager.

This is all bang on, and I have stated earlier up the thread it was by far Lowe's biggest error not keeping him on, an error I still cannot fathom it was so stoopid.

But of course within this general agreement you get the king chavs like the Farmer who scream "Lowe luvvie" with snipey little comments whenever anyone says anything they see as the slightest slight on Super Nige. Like, he is still unproven, or no-one knew who he was when he was appointed. You know, facts, and stuff.

You couldn't make it up. Welcome to the new Taliban :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Disagree. SITS is right when he says it was Lowe's fault Pearson went. Lowe would never had the guts to admit that Crouch had done something positive for the club.

I think anyone who knew anything about English football in the last 10-15 years would know who Nigel Pearson was. You might not jump for joy at his appointment, but you'd know who he was - so I'd say about 9.5/10 fans would have known who he was (you presumably being among the 0.5!).

Leicester don't have unlimited funds - they have simply just kept key players, introduced youngsters at the right pace, and brought/loaned appropriately - putting it all down to Mandaric's millions is the laziest of lazy arguments (as well as being bow-locks).

It all comes down to Lowe not understanding the difference between "cost" and "value". JP+Wotte cost

We're now paying the price. Leicester have benefited from Lowe's stoopidity and short-sightedness. Good luck to them.

This is all bang on, and I have stated earlier up the thread it was by far Lowe's biggest error not keeping him on, an error I still cannot fathom it was so stoopid.

But of course within this general agreement you get the king chavs like the Farmer who scream "Lowe luvvie" with snipey little comments whenever anyone says anything they see as the slightest slight on Super Nige. Like, he is still unproven, or no-one knew who he was when he was appointed. You know, facts, and stuff.

You couldn't make it up. Welcome to the new Taliban :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Would you really say someone who had managed Carlisle, Saints and Leicester; caretaker managed WBA and Newcastle and been involved with the England set-up "unproven"? Not sure I would - when do you get to be proven?? Does his Leciester side running away with League 1 help at all?

PS can you also claim that "no one knew who he was when he was appointed" a 'fact'? (just because you didn't know him, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't...). Or maybe that just the 'stuff' you refer to?

Would you really say someone who had managed Carlisle, Saints and Leicester; caretaker managed WBA and Newcastle and been involved with the England set-up "unproven"? Not sure I would - when do you get to be proven?? Does his Leciester side running away with League 1 help at all?

PS can you also claim that "no one knew who he was when he was appointed" a 'fact'? (just because you didn't know him, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't...). Or maybe that just the 'stuff' you refer to?

WBA - 4 games

Newcastle - first time -1 game, second time not much more but included 6-0 defeat.

Not really proven manager when we appointed him?

not that this forum can argue over anything - but perhaps we don't need another one on the percentage of public who would recognise NP's photo!

Funnily enough once again all the Luvvies have lined up against Pearson and obviously for Lowe...When is it all going to end...You Lowe Luvvies are so Shallow.:smt117

You Lowey group all follow the same party line....Luv you Mr Lowe...Public Schoolboys;)

WBA - 4 games

Newcastle - first time -1 game, second time not much more but included 6-0 defeat.

Not really proven manager when we appointed him?

Believe his exact quote was "he is still unproven" so I'm assuming he meant up to and including his latest success with Leicester (on top of keeping us up last season).

I think he's done enough to prove himself, but perhaps I'm being too generous. Give me NP over JP/MW any day though - would you not agree?

:lol:

What an utter mong.

:lol:

What an utter mong.

Yes you probably are

Cant you realise other people may have a different point of view

NP was OK lacked experienced and apparently cost more - SFC were obviously trying to save money so he went.

If we had money it would probably have been a different scenario

I'm more than happy to admit I was distinctly underwhelmed by Nigel Pearson's appointment and if I'm honest I knew next to nothing about him apart from having seen him on MOTD a few times (while he was temporary Newcastle Utd manager) .

But I like to think I'll give anybody a fair go and he soon won me and 95% of other Saints fans round . If only messers Lowe & Wilde had been as fair and open minded as most of our fans we might well be better off now . I can only conclude our esteemed ex chairmen had obviously never read James Surowieckiwds book 'The Wisdom of Crowds' or indeed were familiar with the old adage - if it ain't broke don't fix it .

Yes you probably are

NP was OK lacked experienced and apparently cost more - SFC were obviously trying to save money so he went.

Go on John start the can can:rolleyes:

Er, I live in Newcastle and the general consensus up here (from the fans and the local media) is that he was a decent coach who would never step up as manager.

Of course, his sole game in charge was a 6(?)-1 drubbing at Man U.

Er, how many games did he win in charge? It was only about 4 or something.

Leicester did well cos decent players like Oakley and Howard were prepared to slum it in League 1 for a season. Probably still on decent money with Mandaric.

They got lucky with Fryatt who scored a shi*tload. DMG will do same for us.

Apart from that - You, me or your Gran in charge would have got the same result.

Not being harsh on NP 'cos I like the guy - but I fu**in' hate Leicester with a

passion and wish nothing but ill on them.

Yes you probably are

Of course I can realise other people have a different point of view but when they are, reasonably, intelligent and post utter nonsense purely because of some odd emotional attachment to a deranged little Napoleon figure they deserve to be mocked.

As for your point, if you honestly think a bit more money would have stopped Lowe from coming in and acting like a power-crazed Onan then you can join the illustrious previous poster in Mongdom.

Go on John start the can can:rolleyes:

Obviously we can stay up but whether we will I dont know

Considering how many dare I say it Lows we have had it is time we had a high.

We played well at Reading out of the blue so we maybe able to do it again.

Leicester don't have unlimited funds - they have simply just kept key players, introduced youngsters at the right pace, and brought/loaned appropriately - putting it all down to Mandaric's millions is the laziest of lazy arguments (as well as being bow-locks).

It all comes down to Lowe not understanding the difference between "cost" and "value". JP+Wotte cost

We're now paying the price. Leicester have benefited from Lowe's stoopidity and short-sightedness. Good luck to them.

Mandaric has put £10m into Leicester this season.I sugest had the majority of clubs in the CCC done so this season many would get into the playoffs or better.To inject that into L1 and auto promotion should be attained.That is not a criticism of NP but it did help his situation.

I have been going to football regularly( for over 3 decades), watching the same games, soccer am, motd etc as everyone else -but I couldn't picture him when it was announced and rang another saints season ticket holder -who has another 10 years on me and he didn't have a clue who he was - guess our football knowledge is poor!

I don't want to call you insular, but I'm amazed you didn't know who Nigel Pearson was????

He was the skipper during Boro's mad days when they signed Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson etc etc etc under Robson. He played in a few finals for them and was the backbone of their up/down side around that period.

He was also Captain for Sheff Weds during their mini revival in the early 90's when they were at Wembley and had a tidy side under Atkinson/Francis

Of course I can realise other people have a different point of view but when they are, reasonably, intelligent and post utter nonsense purely because of some odd emotional attachment to a deranged little Napoleon figure they deserve to be mocked.

As for your point, if you honestly think a bit more money would have stopped Lowe from coming in and acting like a power-crazed little Onan then you can join the illustrious previous poster in Mongdom.

Benji I am sorry but I am fed up with all this NP love in I am more interested in the future.

We had to cut the coaching budget somehow and unfortunately NP had to go

Some people think one thing others another about how and what has happened but no one really knows what and when decisions which led to our demise happened.