Southampton Nostalgia...

SW11_Saint

Ah yes, the Juniper Berry, that's the one. Cheers fellers!

Nice to confirm, after all this time, that my mate wasn't bullsh*ting after all!

the JB had a reputation of being a gay place and not in the factual sense of the word. It also had the reputation of a drug dive, a bawdy house and a place where you might just get your neck wrung for an odd look. Think it even got closed down for a while.

Probably a family inn nowadays.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Bugle St doesn't meet Castle Way as far as I know, it becomes Upper Bugle St and then err Castle Court, for the most part Bugle St and Castle Way are parallel. Could be the Juniper Berry I suppose, Back of the Walls but topless women wouldn't have interested most of their clientele at that time.

My recollection too. Not a place I was inclined to frequent.

My recollection too. Not a place I was inclined to frequent.

The only time I went into the JB was mob handed when there was a stag night from the pipeshop at Vospers. The JB was always the last port of call before the Top Rank on a Thursday night, by the time we got there we were all well plastered and had a ball laughing/singing along with the drag act they'd invariably have on. Wouldn't have gone near the place sober that's for sure.

the JB had a reputation of being a gay place and not in the factual sense of the word. It also had the reputation of a drug dive, a bawdy house and a place where you might just get your neck wrung for an odd look. Think it even got closed down for a while.

Probably a family inn nowadays.

Sounds like they catered for all tastes! Pubs sure ain't like they used to be. I blame the smoking ban myself ;)

I think I might have been one of the last generations to get to go to the Top Rank on a Monday night.

Anyone from my neck of the woods will probably remember the 812 club, the youth club that ran on Thursday nights for 8-12 year olds. Games nights most weeks, with a disco every month! The girls gave it a proper go at dancing. The lads mostly did run-ups before sliding about on their shins.

I haven't been through all the pages of this thread, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned; sometimes me and my mates used to fit in a swim at the swimming pool along Western Esplanade on match day mornings. Two things that stick in my mind: first, the amazingly high diving board; second, the window that gave an underwater view of swimmers in the deep end.

On more than one occasion I spotted people contravening the ‘strictly no petting' rule :eek:

The Juniper Berry,they also had topless go go on Wednesdays, allegedly of course.

The Juniper Berry is owned, and has been for about 8 years or so, by one of the famed McCarthy brothers (I'm sure many on here remember them working the doors in the 80s/90s). Until a couple of years ago it was called The Bosuns Locker, but Mike wanted to cash in on it's rep & returned to it's original name.

Dog and Duck and what was that nightclub over the road?

Fridays below it, don't remember one over the road though, unless you mean Raffles down East Street?

Fridays thats it yes sorry not over the road, Christ years ago now, funny when I think back.

I was a day out Bazza, It was Thursdays downstairs from the Dog & Duck, I found this on facebook:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1033&d=1358241546

So Fridays would have been just off London Road.

Ok how about this I can remember the Fighting cocks pub where Mcdonalds and KFC are in Millbrook but what was the name of the pub opposite, there is a Tesco and the great Olivers chip shop there now ???

There is a pub sign post and frame still there...

The Royal Oak

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
He was when I left Southampton in 2006!

Just reading this old thread. Saw the laughing Paki in Poole in 2011, I was amazed he was still about so took a pic of him.

Don't know if I can post pics as just a registered user.

Easty

Fridays became Peggy Sue's circa 1985 and then Burbanks about 4-5 years later. Then a lap dancing club. Now Junk (apparently).

And used to have some right sweaty do's in the basement circa late 80's early 90's. I call them the missing years.:scared:

Left over 20 years ago... Memories?

Was a Merry Oak boy myself (long gone, I think?)...

Thornhill Towers, where my nan lived - have they been pulled down yet?

Replays - best record shop!

Southampton Zoo - with the chimp who used to smoke the lit cigarettes thrown at him...

Cowherds where you could get a pint at 15 years old!

Prinny's in Bevois Valley

Prince Regent in Swaythling

Martines (in Eastleigh?)

My uncle owned the "Admiral Cunningham" pub in Fareham - rough as ****

The Physik girls...

The Buchanan girls...

(sigh)

Happy days!

I was a Merry Oak lad too. It is indeed long gone. I remember walking across the veracity once a week to do some lessons in the girls school (I expect that's gone too). Football on the concrete playground at lunchtime and lessons in the Nissan huts. If I remember rightly, Mr Little was the deputy head, famed for his liberal use of the cane.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Is the Potter's Heron (not sure about the apostrophe there!) still going? Back in the day it was considered "dead posh" - my nan was a silver-service waitress there (NOT just a "waitress" but a "silver-service waitress" lol!). I think it was a favourite place of Lawrie Mac's and they had the press conference for Keegan's signing there?

Maybe a complete melt-down of my faculties, but I have memories of my nan getting Keegan's autograph on a napkin from that day...

They did change the pub name a few years back to something rather bland (can't remember what it was now) but after a while they realised that The Potters Heron is a landmark and they were foolish to change its name so they soon put it back again.

I haven't read all of this thread yet, only just found it. But does anyone remember the Frog and Frigate in Canute Road with its sawdust on the floor? That was a great pub.

That was a top pub. A skin full of ale and a sing song before going over the bridge to Riverside for their Friday Alt' night with Hammy DJing.

I'm on a roll now. Do you remember the Running Horse and/or Wig and Pen pub in town. I think it was originally the Running Horse but changed to the Wig and Pen? We used to have a tradition of going there on a Saturday before Christmas, getting smashed and then doing the Christmas shopping.

Also, what was the name of that DiY shop on the corner in East Street on the way to the car park and what was the name of that brilliant toy/model shop next door that used to have the train driving round and round the top of the walls? Then there was the original Block and Quayle in Portswood Road that eventually became the monster that is now B&Q.

Frog and Frigate: American pie was always a winner. Bouncing up and down on the tables and covered in beer. I have too many horrific Riverside tales to mention.

I have the advantage of struggling to remember due to beer intake although I certainly f**ked some right beasts from there.

American Pie in the Frog & Frigate. Quality nights out.

I haven't read all of this thread yet, only just found it. But does anyone remember the Frog and Frigate in Canute Road with its sawdust on the floor? That was a great pub.

Certainly do, I spent many a Friday night in there, singing my little heart out & getting very sweaty, before either snaking my way up the The Escape club, of coping off with some young student or other for a knee-trembler under Central Bridge.

Was the first (I think) pub opened by the Ringwood Brewery in the day of Peter Austin and David Walsh. Had it`s own micro-brewery in the cellar. Great pub.

• 9 months later...

I moved away from Soton about 20 years ago but long before that I remember going to La Margaritas next to the Gaumont when it first opened.

I remember it being full so they took me and my then mrs into a back room which was being used as a front room/lounge by an elderly couple with a big smelly dog, they spoke little english but were very friendly and they gave us a free drink.

I used to love eating there, the place was always buzzing and the waiters were always laughing and joking, plus it introduced me to how a proper pizza should taste.

A great place with a cracking atmosphere back then.

I'm on a roll now. Do you remember the Running Horse and/or Wig and Pen pub in town. I think it was originally the Running Horse but changed to the Wig and Pen? We used to have a tradition of going there on a Saturday before Christmas, getting smashed and then doing the Christmas shopping.

Also, what was the name of that DiY shop on the corner in East Street on the way to the car park and what was the name of that brilliant​ toy/model shop next door that used to have the train driving round and round the top of the walls? Then there was the original Block and Quayle in Portswood Road that eventually became the monster that is now B&Q.

Pretty sure that was Beatties.

the frog and frigate is due to re open next month

Wow, that’s excellent, if somewhat surprising, news! I was only thinking what a shame it was to see it all boarded up when I walked by it on the way to the Everton game.

I guess it must be looking to cash in on all the new Moresby Tower residents! :)

the frog and frigate is due to re open next month

Wow, that’s excellent, if somewhat surprising, news! I was only thinking what a shame it was to see it all boarded up when I walked by it on the way to the Everton game.

I guess it must be looking to cash in on all the new Moresby Tower residents! :)

Hopefully it'll be like the old days, should be, as the new owner is Derek Gardener.

• 2 months later...

Last Sunday I returned to the place where the Dell once stood – the first time I'd been back since it closed.

Over the years I must have walked down Burlington Road several hundred times, but this was the first time I'd done so without feeling a mixture of pre-match excitement, anticipation and tension. Was this ordinary suburban street really the place where my dad had lifted me onto his shoulders so that I could peer over the heads of the crowd cheering on two fans – both women – fighting in the gutter, or from whence I'd heard the roar following Hugh Fisher's never-to-be-forgotten last-minute equaliser against Villa?

I turned into Wilton Avenue.

No sight of queues forming outside the ground hours before kick-off, street vendors selling rosettes, enamel badges and programmes, police vans prowling along the Milton Road, smoke and mist swirling around the floodlights. No scent of burgers, tobacco, alcohol, Brut, liniment, freshly mown grass. No sound of ratcheting turnstiles, marching bands, tin tannoys, shouting, singing, chanting, 'Milton Aggro 'Ello', wailing sirens, barking police dogs. No lashing rain, piercing wind, glaring sun. No game of football.

I'm not normally one for maudlin nostalgia: time passes, people pass on, places change, or, as Omar Khayyám said, 'the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on'. But, standing there staring at a housing complex and a young couple pushing their child on a swing in a small play-park where the Dell once stood, the sense of nostalgia was palpable … unnervingly so.

I'd come for a glimpse down memory lane; what I got was more like a vision of my own mortality. :cry:

RIP The Dell.

Last Sunday I returned to the place where the Dell once stood – the first time I'd been back since it closed.

Over the years I must have walked down Burlington Road several hundred times, but this was the first time I'd done so without feeling a mixture of pre-match excitement, anticipation and tension. Was this ordinary suburban street really the place where my dad had lifted me onto his shoulders so that I could peer over the heads of the crowd cheering on two fans – both women – fighting in the gutter, or from whence I'd heard the roar following Hugh Fisher's never-to-be-forgotten last-minute equaliser against Villa?

I turned into Wilton Avenue.

No sight of queues forming outside the ground hours before kick-off, street vendors selling rosettes, enamel badges and programmes, police vans prowling along the Milton Road, smoke and mist swirling around the floodlights. No scent of burgers, tobacco, alcohol, Brut, liniment, freshly mown grass. No sound of ratcheting turnstiles, marching bands, tin tannoys, shouting, singing, chanting, 'Milton Aggro 'Ello', wailing sirens, barking police dogs. No lashing rain, piercing wind, glaring sun. No game of football.

I'm not normally one for maudlin nostalgia: time passes, people pass on, places change, or, as Omar Khayyám said, 'the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on'. But, standing there staring at a housing complex and a young couple pushing their child on a swing in a small play-park where the Dell once stood, the sense of nostalgia was palpable … unnervingly so.

I'd come for a glimpse down memory lane; what I got was more like a vision of my own mortality. :cry:

RIP The Dell.

Very eloquently put, Halo.

You've brought Philip Larkin to mind:

Slowly light strengthens, and the room takes shape.

It stands plain as a wardrobe, what we know,

Have always known, know that we can’t escape,

Yet can’t accept. One side will have to go.

Meanwhile telephones crouch, getting ready to ring

In locked-up offices, and all the uncaring

Intricate rented world begins to rouse.

The sky is white as clay, with no sun.

Work has to be done.

Postmen like doctors go from house to house.

It's odd - I don't remember a lot about the area surrounding The Dell. Granted I was quite young, but even so...

They are nice flats though! I moved into one a few weeks ago. This greets me every time I walk into my block :)

11084940_743221792457354_1201787895_n.jpg