The reason this board has gone downhill

Turkish

is that anyone slightly amusing, controversial or entertaining is instantly banned or infracted. Dave Benson Phillips might be a total fat c*nt and a pain in the arse and love his posts or hate them you cannot deny they were interesting, people either agreed or it would start some interesting and often lengthy debates. Saintpaulkiptanui was a funny poster, but he too has been banned, i can honestly say i never found either his or DBP's posts remotely offensive, funny yes but maybe their brand of humour and discussion was too much for some of you delicate little flowers? Dune & Alpine are vilified and they're often seen as controversial or negative views, but at least they are interesting and you have to say Alps was bang on with his assessment of the squad over the summer, someting which sparked lengthty and interesting discussion and something i disagreed with him on at the time. Not seen them on here for a while, i hope they haven't gone the same way.

This board has become a victim of its own infraction policy, take away what you might call "personality posters" which the above would fall into, in case they offend or upset the whining majority and you are left with a bunch of sterile, bland posters discussing the same topics with the same bland responses over and over again. In some ways though, i think this is reflective of our fan base. You may not like or agree with the personality posters, but at least they sparked some interesting discussions, i for one think this place is poorer without them.

Edited by Turkish

is that anyone slightly amusing, controversial or entertaining is instantly banned or infracted. Dave Benson Phillips might be a total fat c*nt and a pain in the arse and love his posts or hate them you cannot deny they were interesting, people either agreed or it would start some interesting and often lengthy debates. Saintpaulkiptanui was a funny poster, but he too has been banned, i can honestly say i never found either his or DBP's posts remotely offensive, funny yes but maybe their brand of humour and discussion was too much for some of you delicate little flowers? Dune & Alpine are vilified and their often seen as controversial or negative views, but at least they are interesting and you have to say Alps was bang on with his assessment of the squad over the summer, someting which sparked lengthty and interesting discussion and something i disagreed with him on at the time. Not seen them on here for a while, i hope they haven't gone the same way.

This board has become a victim of its own infraction policy, take away what you might call "personality posters" which the above would fall into, in case they offend or upset the whining majority and you are left with a bunch of sterile, bland posters discussing the same topics with the same bland responses over and over again. In some ways though, i think this is reflective of our fan base. You may not like or agree with the personality posters, but at least they sparked some interesting discussions, i for one think this place is poorer without them.

Seconded !!

It's sadly full of aggressive, negative, Kids who try to outscore each other. Even the most reasoned debate will be spoiled by people piling in, name-calling and being generally offensive (not to mention inarticulate). FF will say something reasonably interesting and he'll get swarmed by pathetic, petty, idiots calling him all sorts.

The site used to be a good place for a reasoned intelligent debate - not that it didn't get heated - and has suffered by great posters like Um Pahars getting sick of it and leaving. Like most things in life it's become 'dumbed down'. I pop on now and then, like now, but tend to get off sharpish, as the tone, regardless off the topic, descends Inevitably to playground level. Shame.

It's sadly full of aggressive, negative, Kids who try to outscore each other. Even the most reasoned debate will be spoiled by people piling in, name-calling and being generally offensive (not to mention inarticulate). FF will say something reasonably interesting and he'll get swarmed by pathetic, petty, idiots calling him all sorts.

The site used to be a good place for a reasoned intelligent debate - not that it didn't get heated - and has suffered by great posters like Um Pahars getting sick of it and leaving. Like most things in life it's become 'dumbed down'. I pop on now and then, like now, but tend to get off sharpish, as the tone, regardless off the topic, descends Inevitably to playground level. Shame.

f*ck off you c*nt ;)

What is very odd is that we have some people being very precious over any adverse criticism on Cortese. It is as if no one is allowed to challenge any decision Cortese has taken. We frequently have a "you do not know why AP was fired therefore you cannot challenge the decision". Add in some sentimental claptrap about watch stories and claims about Cortese's brilliant business management background (no evidence), we then see the sad sight of Saints heroes who have been insulted by Cortese, being slagged off on here as well.

Some of the precious Cortese supporters also were the same folk defending Lowelife with many of the same points about "how dare you challenge the great businessman Rupert etc".......

I always do look out for FF's posts even though my politics are diametrically opposed to his (UNITE). But I do respect his insights and contacts about the Club and would encourage him to continue.

I agree. There were certainly a lot of interesting posters who don't bother anymore. I think a forum should be about gossip, and presumed ITKers, and wit, and debate, whereas some would have this site as meerly a bored for cheerleading.

What is very odd is that we have some people being very precious over any adverse criticism on Cortese. It is as if no one is allowed to challenge any decision Cortese has taken. We frequently have a "you do not know why AP was fired therefore you cannot challenge the decision". Add in some sentimental claptrap about watch stories and claims about Cortese's brilliant business management background (no evidence), we then see the sad sight of Saints heroes who have been insulted by Cortese, being slagged off on here as well.

Some of the precious Cortese supporters also were the same folk defending Lowelife with many of the same points about "how dare you challenge the great businessman Rupert etc".......

I always do look out for FF's posts even though my politics are diametrically opposed to his (UNITE). But I do respect his insights and contacts about the Club and would encourage him to continue.

The laughable comments that Cortese and the Liebhers would "pull the plug on us" if they read this site and saw all the moaning. Like a few minutes spent on here would be enough to make them pack their bags and walk away, writing off the cost of purchase plus any other investment made during their time here because they weren't happy with some of the comments. Judging everyone, even multi billionaires by their own fragile, insecure states of mind.

Um Pahars "great poster" ! Hilarious ! The reason he cleared off was because he was busted. He liked to portray himself as ITK and a voice of reason when in fact he was neither. He knew no more than anyone else and was another agenda laden "I wantafanontheboard" delusional knob.

if im honest this forum has been crap for a couple of years,i think turkish is right, whatever the reasons there just isnt enough quality posters anymore.

just like st marys,the forum is very sterile..... i dont know the mods or admin (perhaps one or two by sight) and im sure they think they are doing a good job but they need to shake this place up and once again make it the place it should be.

dont be scared to upset people and stick two fingers upto the threat of libel.

Um Pahars "great poster" ! Hilarious ! The reason he cleared off was because he was busted. He liked to portray himself as ITK and a voice of reason when in fact he was neither. He knew no more than anyone else and was another agenda laden "I wantafanontheboard" delusional knob.

Agreed. I've seen his posts for years and was certainly not any more ITK than anyone else. The fan on the board this was a joke.

if im honest this forum has been crap for a couple of years,i think turkish is right, whatever the reasons there just isnt enough quality posters anymore.

just like st marys,the forum is very sterile..... i dont know the mods or admin (perhaps one or two by sight) and im sure they think they are doing a good job but they need to shake this place up and once again make it the place it should be.

dont be scared to upset people and stick two fingers upto the threat of libel.

That is the problem, like i said in my OP, anyone controversial is banned or infracted. To many soft, delicate personalities on here that whinge and cry if anyone doesn't agree with the majority view on any subject. As i say, these days this forum is reflective of our fan base, bland, sterile and soft.

As Dave Benson Philips puts it so succinctly, there are too many Jester hat wearing mongs on here.

Thing is,

If someone wants to come on here and slate something the club has done or is doing then fine but if someone is going to come on here calling other posters names acting all billy big ******** then they will get banned. Its not much to ask everyone to have a little respect for each other.

Alps used to get banned IIRC because his negative posts often ended up in abuse getting hurled at each other rather than discussing points raised. Now he comes on and while many think he is still negative, his points are usually discussed in the right way and interesting debates follow.

If Alps can do it then so can DBP ;)

That is the problem, like i said in my OP, anyone controversial is banned or infracted. To many soft, delicate personalities on here that whinge and cry if anyone doesn't agree with the majority view on any subject. As i say, these days this forum is reflective of our fan base, bland, sterile and soft.

I would be amazed if they have been banned because there views are different to anyone else. More likly banned cause they cant debate without hurling abuse at everyone.

How bout the mods make a list of people who have been banned and why, then everyone else can see the behaviour they need to aviod if they want to stay here and debate?

Some of the reasons for this;

Anyone ITK or with the remotest piece of evidence something may be happening when SFC sign a player or manager that has the gaul to post it on here gets shot down in flames no matter how water tight the rumour is. This is a fans forum, surely it is where fans should be passing on rumours and gossip they heard down the pub/at work etc... but too many "personality posters" as you put them are the ones who insult/mock those who decide to put the rumours on here. This is stopping people from writing what they have heard on the site which limits the content we read about.

Another really stupid idea is a massive HCDAJFU thread. Once again, this is a forum. It should be a place to post relevant threads as and when they happen. I'm not going to trawl through 100 pages of rumours but if a thready was started about certain players it would get more banter going and more thrads read. When we signed Rickie Lambert I didnt know until the day after we signed him. Despite checking the forum on an almost daily basis, there were no threads about him apart from what was being said on the HCDAJFU thread. Surely the prospect of signing a player with the record Lambert had at this level when we signed him deserved a dedicated thread of its own?

Basically, admin are trying to be too efficient and I agree, are perhaps also trying to please the masses by silencing the outspoken. I'm a big boy, I'll just choose not to read posts from clowns like Alps or SRS/DBP. Theres no point banning them and stopping them from posting altogether; they are Saints fans too and really that should be the only required criteria for posting on this forum.

I would be amazed if they have been banned because there views are different to anyone else. More likly banned cause they cant debate without hurling abuse at everyone.

How bout the mods make a list of people who have been banned and why, then everyone else can see the behaviour they need to aviod if they want to stay here and debate?

People need to grow a bit of a backbone TBH, as it is those who are obviously too precious to accept a little banter now and again who are pretty much destroying the more humourful side of the forum.

We already have people moaning about Deppo and Dog, is it so hard that if you have a problem with a poster or don't like the forum made a little more light hearted that you just press the ignore button ? Instead of running to the Mods and asking them to be banned etc ?

People need to grow a bit of a backbone TBH, as it is those who are obviously too precious to accept a little banter now and again who are pretty much destroying the more humourful side of the forum.

We already have people moaning about Deppo and Dog, is it so hard that if you have a problem with a poster or don't like the forum made a little more light hearted that you just press the ignore button ? Instead of running to the Mods and asking them to be banned etc ?

Not seen many posts by dog but some of Deppo's posts have had me in stitches. I have seen him post very much tongue in cheek stuff and if you get the humour you will find it funny, if you dont you with think he is a nob. Neither is enough to get him banned for those comments though. If he starts personally slating someone however then he runs the risk of getting banned.

Sometimes a ;) at the end of an insult is all thats needed to show its tongue in cheek or not.

I have no problem in a bit of ribbing and a bit of a laugh but if someone walked into a pub and started a debate with others in the pub only to end up slagging everyone in the pub off and calling them all c**ts I would have thought the backbone of many would have resulted in punches being thrown.

All I am saying is it doesnt take much for people on here to hold back on personally slating other posters.

Not seen many posts by dog but some of Deppo's posts have had me in stitches. I have seen him post very much tongue in cheek stuff and if you get the humour you will find it funny, if you dont you with think he is a nob. Neither is enough to get him banned for those comments though. If he starts personally slating someone however then he runs the risk of getting banned.

Sometimes a ;) at the end of an insult is all thats needed to show its tongue in cheek or not.

I have no problem in a bit of ribbing and a bit of a laugh but if someone walked into a pub and started a debate with others in the pub only to end up slagging everyone in the pub off and calling them all c**ts I would have thought the backbone of many would have resulted in punches being thrown.

All I am saying is it doesnt take much for people on here to hold back on personally slating other posters.

Not if the pub is full of the posters on here it wouldn't, they'd sit there whinging amoungst themselves then running to the land lord to get the debater banned.

Edited by Turkish

Not quite sure why people are so willing to blame this board for the quality of content. The rules are pretty much the same as they have ever been. Anything you wanted do discuss 5 years ago, you could discuss now. The difference really is the club. Since the takeover last summer, there has been no threat of administration or liquidation, no takeover rumours, no evil pantomime villain chairmen and far fewer ITKers. It also seems a couple of you are looking back on the past with the very reddest of rose tinted glasses. The posts and poster no being championed as "interesting and controversial" were viewed by many at the time as irritating and nonesensical trolling. Nobody has ever been infracted for being interesting or controversial. Those who have been banned were banned because they repeatedly broke the rules.

There is nothing, within reason, which you can't discuss on this board. Stop moaning and start being interesting.

Some of the reasons for this;

Anyone ITK or with the remotest piece of evidence something may be happening when SFC sign a player or manager that has the gaul to post it on here gets shot down in flames no matter how water tight the rumour is. This is a fans forum, surely it is where fans should be passing on rumours and gossip they heard down the pub/at work etc... but too many "personality posters" as you put them are the ones who insult/mock those who decide to put the rumours on here. This is stopping people from writing what they have heard on the site which limits the content we read about.

Another really stupid idea is a massive HCDAJFU thread. Once again, this is a forum. It should be a place to post relevant threads as and when they happen. I'm not going to trawl through 100 pages of rumours but if a thready was started about certain players it would get more banter going and more thrads read. When we signed Rickie Lambert I didnt know until the day after we signed him. Despite checking the forum on an almost daily basis, there were no threads about him apart from what was being said on the HCDAJFU thread. Surely the prospect of signing a player with the record Lambert had at this level when we signed him deserved a dedicated thread of its own?

Basically, admin are trying to be too efficient and I agree, are perhaps also trying to please the masses by silencing the outspoken. I'm a big boy, I'll just choose not to read posts from clowns like Alps or SRS/DBP. Theres no point banning them and stopping them from posting altogether; they are Saints fans too and really that should be the only required criteria for posting on this forum.

The whole point of the HCDAJFU thread was to seperate the wood from the trees. That thread have over 3,300 replies in a couple of months. I'd take a guess at that being something like 2,000 odd players being mentioned. If you can imagine people starting a couple of dosen threads a day about players who have nothing to do with Saints and probably never will, then trying to find the 1 thread about a player who has actually signed.

I'm not sure what you're on about with Lambert. Whenever a new player is signed there is always a thread started about it by someone. Here's one about Lambert for starters.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?15744-Lambert-Biggest-Name-Signing-Since

The laughable comments that Cortese and the Liebhers would "pull the plug on us" if they read this site and saw all the moaning. Like a few minutes spent on here would be enough to make them pack their bags and walk away, writing off the cost of purchase plus any other investment made during their time here because they weren't happy with some of the comments. Judging everyone, even multi billionaires by their own fragile, insecure states of mind.

Hits the nail on the head.

Everything is cyclical, including these forums. I have been on a number and they all go the same way in the end. Same old arguements, diffent names. What becomes tiresome is the constant negative slagging. Cortese, Pardew, the team - there are plenty of issues to be discussed but it always turns into schoolyard name calling session. You couldn't have a balanced discussion about Lowe, Wilde or Crouch and now it seems we can't have one about Cortese. People need to lighten up more too. These are only opnions at the end of the day so why get so upset? I can't think of one issue that has been discussed on this forum where people have agreed 100% - and wouldn't it be a boring place if they did?

There is nothing, within reason, which you can't discuss on this board. Stop moaning and start being interesting.

I guess the fact that Franny Benali informed a good friend of mine that he was suing our chairman for £50K is one of the things I can't post about because of you strange and incorrect views on libel, then? I found the fact quite interesting and worth sharing, but then again...

Just to help...

Update 2009: High Court ruling on bulletin board cases

The High Court has ruled that defamation on internet bulletin boards is akin to slander rather than libel.

Mr Justice Eady hearing a case regarding posts on an investors bulletin board (or forum) has said that such comments are not to be taken in the same context as a formal newspaper (etc) article and are more like slander due to the casual or conversational nature of them.

Mr Justice Eady stated that posts on bulletin boards "are rather like contributions to a casual conversation (the analogy sometimes being drawn with people chatting in a bar) which people simply note before moving on; they are often uninhibited, casual and ill thought out...Those who participate know this and expect a certain amount of repartee or 'give and take'."

As such "When considered in the context of defamation law, therefore, communications of this kind are much more akin to slanders (this cause of action being nowadays relatively rare) than to the usual, more permanent kind of communications found in libel actions...People do not often take a 'thread' and go through it as a whole like a newspaper article. They tend to read the remarks, make their own contributions if they feel inclined, and think no more about it."

web01.gif Full article [Reading Room].

I don't know what is so terrible about being ITK. Surely we don't just want to post unsubstantiated speculation if there is any real information to be had.

I the time BC (Before Cortese) the club was leaking like a sieve, and everything which was going on was well known within hours. Things are different now, because the evidence suggests that what is posted on the OS is authoritative, and NC certainly knows how to keep his mouth shut. More of a problem is that the communications are so few and far between so that it is nearly impossibly not to try to fill in the blanks, trying to answer the question: What is going on?

A few posters have got contacts who are close to the club, which means that their views are more valuable than others. Others think that they have such contacts, although old players who were here many years ago don't know any more than the rest of us. Still others make it all up and pretends to be conspiratorial about it. Irritating? Only if you keep reading it. By now I would imagine most of us know who's posts are worth reading, for what reasons, and what is best left alone.

Not if the pub is full of the posters on here it wouldn't, they'd sit there whinging amoungst themselves then running to the land lord to get the debater banned.

LOL but do you think it would be a better place if the debater slating everyone was asked to stay so a massive ruck can kick off?

You hark back to some golden posting age which never existed. StuRomsey never added anything of value to the site beyond childish humour, stories about the girls he was currently pursuing, and how he gets into all manner of fights. He hated anyone wearing replica shirts, as they are seemingly too soft or something. In every way he reminded me of that Jay character with the awful hair from Inbetweeners, you know the one who sends his time obsessing with sex, and is all talk but no trousers. Except I imagine the real-life Stu is somewhat fatter. [is that infactionable mods?]

You hark back to some golden posting age which never existed. StuRomsey never added anything of value to the site beyond childish humour, stories about the girls he was currently pursuing, and how he gets into all manner of fights. He hated anyone wearing replica shirts, as they are seemingly too soft or something. In every way he reminded me of that Jay character with the awful hair from Inbetweeners, you know the one who sends his time obsessing with sex, and is all talk but no trousers. Except I imagine the real-life Stu is somewhat fatter. [is that infactionable mods?]

A golden age of posting?! Someone takes this forum far to seriously i think!! It has gone downhill on here, it has become sterile and bland. SRS/DBP at least provided humour because he was like Jay from Inbetweeners, however he is 30 and fat, so his endless tales of "slamming" women were laughable. Personally i felt some of his posts were interesting and if you read the muppet show and the lounge he was often worth being on here just for the endless blazing he got on there.

Topcat - although I have a position at Unite, through my role with BA cabin crew, I think they are a monolithic waste of space. As for my politics - well I usually end up voting Lib Dem because of where I live but politics has left me disillusioned too much these days to to get too excited, but I suppose I would say I am a bit of an old fashioned Labour person, not left, not right in an Ed Miliband sort of way.

Otherwise thank you for your confidence although I have to say most if not all I hear these days is from outside the club. I would hate for anyone working for the club to get into trouble by confiding in me and it doesn't happen.

It is just a negative board now. I rarely read the front page as each thread will turn into the same thing. The same posters disagreeing and then talking about stuff that happened in the victorian era and how we should of continued to do that. Some might call it petty point scoring i just call it petty.

As for the people getting banned, who has been banned? The forum is infested by people who are obvious internet trolls and have no passion for Southampton FC at all. They just like to provoke a reaction in you. The sad thing is these numbers over the summer increased a lot. The decent interesting posters bailed. And the more these people are allowed to get away with what they are doing the more people will leave.

And you can't say the threads are simply down to our current position as that is ********. They started at the end of last season. People used not going up as their reason for attacking people's views. Then used the releasing players thing, then the pre-season, then the lack of signing people and then our poor start. Add to that mix the whole Cortese thing and you got one giant load of negativity. Some of those wanted Pardew out but never said it in those words. Now a new guy is in are they being positive and behind the team? Nope, looking for more things to be negative about.

Now there is nothing wrong with that, some are valid points. But when you talk about them day after day for months the forum becomes like a broken record. Some people me included still have some joy from watching Southampton and still have some pride in supporting them. If all you read is the same negative people mixed in with the trolls creating as much negativity as possible then it is draining but more importantly boring.

That stuff would never have been allowed to happen on the old forums. The sad fact is a few of the trolls on here are friends of the website runners, nothing will happen to them, just be given a new name.

I agree totally

The old days of S4E had some brilliant, hilarious threads that would never get past 2 or 3 posts these days

The infraction system has made this board far too serious, but I don't blame the owners of this site for doing this

The internet is no longer a place where you can avoid legal action, and Steve/Baj are probably more worried about certain material than Keith was 5 or 6 years ago

Saints Forever was nothing like this board. If you think they let people like Stu on there with the crap he talked about then your deluded. Saints Forerver was great because it was full of Saints fans. Simple as that. Now as Marco say's you got people who just want to create trouble for the sake of creating trouble.

A golden age of posting?! Someone takes this forum far to seriously i think!! It has gone downhill on here, it has become sterile and bland. SRS/DBP at least provided humour because he was like Jay from Inbetweeners, however he is 30 and fat, so his endless tales of "slamming" women were laughable. Personally i felt some of his posts were interesting and if you read the muppet show and the lounge he was often worth being on here just for the endless blazing he got on there.

So you're saying that Mr Romsey was a comedy foil, who lit the ignition paper by posting something controversial, and added fuel to any dieing thread by saying something outrageous, but that he made up for his blatent trolling by interspersing it with racism, misogyny, and playground stapstick antics?

Stu, represents the decline of the board. In the past he would have been ousted by the admins long ago.

Edited by Joensuu