8 Years Ago Today & We Own The Song

Gemmel

http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=495174

Apologies for linking to a skate sight, but.....

I think you had to be there that day to really understand the pain.

As for the song, it was a long time before I could even listen to it, if it ever came on the radio.

As for when we started singing it, I wasn't convinced for a long time. However, their demise, coupled with our success - with a league shift of over 100 places and the remake sung at least once at every game..... 8 years on the demons have been put to bed and the song is Ours.

Sh la la la la la la indeed.

As for the song, it was a long time before I could even listen to it, if it ever came on the radio.

As for when we started singing it, I wasn't convinced for a long time. However, their demise, coupled with our success - with a league shift of over 100 places and the remake sung at least once at every game..... 8 years on the demons have been put to bed and the song is Ours.

The myths go on.

So, did Harry really say, live on TV "I'm not really looking forward to this"

Was Claus Lundekvam really that intimidated?

And for chrissakes, Peter Crouch was scared of playing at Fratton Park he threw up?

LMFAO

Remember the look on Jamie redknapps face warming up, the fat pompey idiots on the way in, the Portsmouth copper going Welcome to portsmouth slapping his truncheon as we got off coach, the way they didn't sit down at halftime just kept on singing

Oh I'm ****ing laughing now. Totally priceless. Just had my haircut by a skate he said e would be happy to stay in div 2 if they remained stable HAHA

They are obviously making stuff up, as usual, but it was a very poor performance by Saints. Quashie showed plenty of bottle and Camara scored a good goal but that's about it as I remember. Let's put it down to the Manager at the time who was too busy winking at his mates.

I am still of the mindset that it never happened. Like the others, unable to listen to that song until around 2011 - and absolutely furious in 2009/10 when someone decided to play it prior to kick off at St Mary's.

Different story now. 4-1 is just the score in admins. :)

Totally agree. Spot on. It was one of the worst day of my life. Now I ******* love it when we sing that song now. Time is a great healer.

I am still of the mindset that it never happened. Like the others, unable to listen to that song until around 2011 - and absolutely furious in 2009/10 when someone decided to play it prior to kick off at St Mary's.

Different story now. 4-1 is just the score in admins. :)

How the tables have turned though! We've had so many great moments with Markus, Nicola, Pards, Nigel and now MP since that it has turned the volume right down on that memory. There's no way the current squad, who are also far more talented as well as gutsy, would have lost let alone capitulated. Only Quashie, to his credit, and Camara turned up. Niemi went from potential legend to villain. Just for good measure he then drained the skates when their crisis began kicking in for a year to top up his pension pot!

Funnily enough though, it wasn't that game in the relegation season that haunted me but the Villa home game capitulation. Something wasn't right about that second half. Villa were mentally on the beach and I'd booked my flight for the midweek game at Bolton, 2-0 at ht, what could go wrong? Still, these things go in cycles and one of their goalscorers that awful day now plays in our midfield!

Enjoy Saturday's game, have a beer or two, think about our new summer signings and theirs. I don't think many of the 30k Saints fans will be thinking about that day, let the skates have it for those defeats at Accrington on a Tuesday night in the snow.

The single worst day as a saints fan for me, from the fu.cked up train service, to the "queue" outside the away end, to missing their first goal and the look on the fat skate cu.nt in the green and white hooped tops face when we did get in. Then THAT fu.cking song. And the cafe full of their gloating inbred cu.nts on the long walk back to the station.

Only highlight was the shirtless, toothless fat sailor getting coined back into his flat outside Fratton.

****tiest football day of my life. As mentioned above, the late train, the disorganised queue getting in late, then THAT song. Fair play to them (for probably the only time) I've never experienced anything like it before or since at football. It wasn't even intimidating, more humiliating, it seemed like every single person on all 3 sides singing it AT us straight into our faces over and over again, and we had no choice but to stand there and take it. Made me appreciate how young kid in a school playground feels being taunted by a crowd of bullies, nowhere to hide, couldn't hit back, couldn't escape. And the saddest thing was thanks to the gutless display of about 9 of our players we knew what they were singing was true.

Sounds like an exaggeration but I too felt almost mentally scarred by that song for years. Now karma has come full circle and I can hear it with a smile on my face. Only shame is when we sing the WTFILN version the opposition probably have no idea what we're on about.

Sounds like an exaggeration but I too felt almost mentally scarred by that song for years.

That's the truest thing and why i never understood people who said that they don't care about them, or that it's "just another game". For anyone that's ever been to their dump, for anyone there at that, for anyone that has to deal with those cu.nts and their braggings and portsmyths it's a fu.ckload more than just another game

They can revive those special days when they beat us all they like. With the passage of time, memories fade and they will look more and more desperate and moronic for trying to gain some crumb of comfort by remembering those precious few days.

The pendulum has swung so far in the opposite direction that we have had the last laugh and can throw that song right back in their faces. For all of their optimism of how they will now quickly start to climb their way back up the leagues, the reality is that we will be above them for many, many more years to come.

Whenever they try and remind us of days like that one in the future, the most hurtful thing for them is to have us pity them, or laugh at them.

We still had the sense of humour to sing "you're supposed to be at home" to the empty ground when locked in for getting on for an hour.

For some reason I'm still pleased that when the late train people finally got released, I managed to get to the front (a couple of people above complaining about the disorganised queue outside), and I was about the 2nd or 3rd person in from that group - hammered up the steps, just in time to see Niemi bring down Yakubu to concede the penalty.

I doubt anyone who was there has seen the tv footage live, so difficult to know about all the "bottled it" and "in the tunnel" stories people talk about. I was still stood in Fratton having bricks chucked at me wondering what the smell of burning petrol was, and how that car was upside-down at that point.

It was the worst thing ever though. Utterly embarrassed by the lack of performance and just stood there for getting on for 2 hours and took it.

The single worst day as a saints fan for me, from the fu.cked up train service, to the "queue" outside the away end, to missing their first goal and the look on the fat skate cu.nt in the green and white hooped tops face when we did get in. Then THAT fu.cking song. And the cafe full of their gloating inbred cu.nts on the long walk back to the station.

Only highlight was the shirtless, toothless fat sailor getting coined back into his flat outside Fratton.

HAHAHAHAHA ohhhhhhhhh mate, that's literally the same memories as me. The train ride, the queue, missing the first goal and what a creature that bloke was on the balcony...

****tiest football day of my life. As mentioned above, the late train, the disorganised queue getting in late, then THAT song. Fair play to them (for probably the only time) I've never experienced anything like it before or since at football. It wasn't even intimidating, more humiliating, it seemed like every single person on all 3 sides singing it AT us straight into our faces over and over again, and we had no choice but to stand there and take it. Made me appreciate how young kid in a school playground feels being taunted by a crowd of bullies, nowhere to hide, couldn't hit back, couldn't escape. And the saddest thing was thanks to the gutless display of about 9 of our players we knew what they were singing was true.

Sounds like an exaggeration but I too felt almost mentally scarred by that song for years. Now karma has come full circle and I can hear it with a smile on my face. Only shame is when we sing the WTFILN version the opposition probably have no idea what we're on about.

yeap i was their that day but as the sayin goes ,every dog has his day.

Ohhh Teddy Teddy ? Anyone remember that whilst "kettled" outside the ground after the match?

Also, did anyone else who was on that train wonder why there were thousands of Skates in the streets if they were bothered about the match, when it was live on tv ? There were hundreds right next to the away end 20 minutes AFTER kick off, so either they were bothered (in which case why not see how the match was going) or they weren't, in which case why were they there ?

No, they'd rather turn out to give the Scammaz stick than actually watch the match. Highly illogical.

More likely to play them in R2 of the League Cup though, that would be nice and early too. They'd still have to win a game in August against a southern L1/L2 side to get to play us though, so 50/50 they'll even get through, never mind the approx 1/25 chance of drawing them in what appears to be a national 2nd Round draw.

And then we could stick 4 on them with our reserves. Hooray.

More likely to play them in R2 of the League Cup though, that would be nice and early too. They'd still have to win a game in August against a southern L1/L2 side to get to play us though, so 50/50 they'll even get through, never mind the approx 1/25 chance of drawing them in what appears to be a national 2nd Round draw.

And then we could stick 4 on them with our reserves. Hooray.

I'd hope for our strongest possible line up if we did draw them in a cup next season.

They probably want the Council to organise a bank holiday to commemorate the event. I know someone that managed a Wessex League side that had played AFC Portchester and had their after match refreshments at the Wicor pub. Apparently they've got a huge brass plaque on the wall commemorating their win that day. Their league titles I could understand but a win over your local rivals is pushing it.