Does Yaya Toure have a point?

St Jim

Just seen this article on the BBC http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27074317 and was wondering what your thoughts are.

Personally I can't help feeling that it's easy for non-white players to play the race card but I do get the point where European and South American players, particularly English players in the English media, get recognition over and above what they should (Rooney is a prime example of that) but I think it's only a select few.

Sure Yaya has been a super player for City but is he really in the class of Messi and Ronaldo?

No, he gets a f*ck ton of praise. His comment about Messi is ridiculous as he simply isn't as good as him.

That's kind of what I thought. All I ever see is praise about him but I do think he draws a point in that there are some players (as I've mentioned, Rooney is one of them) who gets recognition for being mediocre when other players should get it and don't.

Playing the African race card has lowered my opinion of him.

Just seen this article on the BBC http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27074317 and was wondering what your thoughts are.

Personally I can't help feeling that it's easy for non-white players to play the race card but I do get the point where European and South American players, particularly English players in the English media, get recognition over and above what they should (Rooney is a prime example of that) but I think it's only a select few.

Sure Yaya has been a super player for City but is he really in the class of Messi and Ronaldo?

Rooney gets overhyped because he is English, nothing to do with the colour of his skin. Andros townsend was being hyped up on a smaller scale and he isn't white.

With regards to the likes of Drogba, I would say he is extremely well known, the problem is that he just isn't as skillful a player as the likes of Messi and whilst his power has been impressive in the past, it's not quite the same as what Messi and Ronaldo offer. His bit about not being recognised is just silly. I'm not being funny but very dark skinned males I would argue are much less distinctive in their appearance than say Messi. Maybe he should grow an afro or something so that he can be recognised in Africa more (which it seems is one of his gripes?)

If a black man scored the amount of goals and assists in the same manner as Messi and Ronaldo, then they would get to same amount of recognition and praise as those two imo.

The colour of a man's skin is irrelevant and always has been. Eusebius, Pele, Gullit, all great players have earned that greatness because of their skill, and rightly so.

The colour of a man's skin is irrelevant and always has been. Eusebius, Pele, Gullit, all great players have earned that greatness because of their skill, and rightly so.

Always been irrelevant?? Comical how complacent the white man can be.

If you think it's relevant then doesn't that make you a racist?

Treating everyone the same is equalism. Equality is different. The dream isn't making race invisible, it's acknowledging people's diversity and allowing everyone the same opportunities and privileges.

I don't think Toure can complain about his own media reputation, in England at least. He might be talking about the global profile other top class players have though. He does have a point about African players more generally. Samuel Eto'o never quite got the recognition he deserved and I'm not sure Drogba did outside of England.

• 1 month later...

To be taken with a pinch of salt, as this appears to all come from his advisor, not the man himself. That said, this article says the two are close, and that Yaya named his child after him.

TL;DR, City didn't shake his hand and congratulate him on his birthday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27484318

Is he a bit wet? Is he agitating for a move? Or is his advisor just a bit of a knobber?

To be taken with a pinch of salt, as this appears to all come from his advisor, not the man himself. That said, this article says the two are close, and that Yaya named his child after him.

TL;DR, City didn't shake his hand and congratulate him on his birthday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27484318

Is he a bit wet? Is he agitating for a move? Or is his advisor just a bit of a knobber?

This did make me laugh, does sound as if he's trying to get a move away.

I love the quote in the article that says Roberto Carlos got bought a Bugatti for his birthday. When I think of the things my boss has bought me for my birthday, oh...

He's always been a bit precious, you can tell by the way he acts on the field as soon as he's fouled or touched.

But this is quite clearly agent instructed manoeuvring to either a) secure him a new/bigger contract, or b) to secure him a move, to a new/bigger contract.

He'll probably get neither though, so fail.

why dont players just have the balls and say, thank but I now want to leave

he would have clubs queuing up to sign him

it was on the radio earlier that Barcelona want him back. Surprise Surprise

He's been sounded out, IMO, and his head has been turned.

Does make you think though, even Man City...with all their mega riches and a PL title, are at risk of losing one of their best players.