Smartphone upgrade

Toon Saint

• 2 weeks later...
Chinese phones are the way forward. The spec for the phone I just ordered at this price shows how much the big companies are ripping us off.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Niribu-H1-Niribu-Mars-H1-MTK6592H-Octa-core-1-7G-Android-4-2-Dual-SIM/412402_1722265866.html

Loiks imoressive for the price. ...interested in feedback after a week of use

Chinese phones are the way forward. The spec for the phone I just ordered at this price shows how much the big companies are ripping us off.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Niribu-H1-Niribu-Mars-H1-MTK6592H-Octa-core-1-7G-Android-4-2-Dual-SIM/412402_1722265866.html

Sexy!

The One Plus One sounds good too:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/oneplus-one-review/

There's plenty of info about the different models online. I was looking at the Cubot X6 at first but it doesn't seem to run on the same 3G network band as my T-Mobile SIM. You can buy the Cubot and various other models on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arrival-Cubot-MTK6592-1280x720p-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00J9KHXVG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405801450&sr=1-3&keywords=cubot

I definitely fancy a dual SIM phone for money saving potential. I believe they're not normally allowed to be sold in the UK?

I use one. So does my wife. We wouldn't be without them for travelling. I don't think they're illegal, just not preferred by the networks, who don't like the thought of you making calls or data using somebody else's simcard. We bought ours overseas, both Galaxys.

Sexy!

The One Plus One sounds good too:

del

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/oneplus-one-review/

I like this but it is so hard to buy , you can't just buy it, you have to get an invite from somebody who owns one or enter compos ! which to me seems to be a weird way to do business !! Still I'm on the list ,whats not to like £264 for the 64Gb model

I like this but it is so hard to buy , you can't just buy it, you have to get an invite from somebody who owns one or enter compos ! which to me seems to be a weird way to do business !! Still I'm on the list ,whats not to like £264 for the 64Gb model

Yes you can...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OnePlus-Screen-Android-Smartphone-Quad/dp/B00L5L952W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405851085&sr=8-1&keywords=oneplus

I definitely fancy a dual SIM phone for money saving potential. I believe they're not normally allowed to be sold in the UK?

I got a silly cheap Chinese dual Sim phone for about £15 delivered...plastic, tinny but works beautifully on pay as you go SIMs from EE and Vodafone (my main contract is with 02...this was for those places it didn't work...good experiment) - came from cellphoneshop.net and shipped from China.

Wouldn't want it as a main phone but ideal for my purpose.

I'd agree with the general point you're making, but you do need to do a bit of investigation into what has actually been 'burned' into the phone's firmware - spyware perhaps. And being firmware, it probably means that it is non-removable.

On a wider level, governments around the world are concerned by the dominance of Chinese companies such as Huawei who are supplying more and more of the low-level infrastructure upon which the Internet relies. Whether their concerns are valid or not, we should each be aware of the intelligence that we freely sign over to phone companies, network operators or governments when we connect a device to a network.

Samsung galaxy's start great and if you change to one from and iphone youll think you've done ok until about 3 months later when it turns into the most amount of unusable crap ever

My partner has one of these (previously had an iphone) and she hates it! Not user friendly at all and she cant get on with the camera.

Turns out I couldn't order the Nibiru from China becuse the seller told me they are not allowed to ship lithium batteries to the UK. Not sure if that's totally correct but no matter because I bought a barely used second hand THL W200S for under £100 off Amazon marketplace instead.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/THL-W200S-IPS-LCD-Screen-MT6592W/dp/B00IRWOFHC

So far I have to say it's superb. It's fast, has a beautiful screen and a great camera. An absolute bargain.

• 1 month later...

Just upgraded to a HTC One M8. Loving it so far. Came from a relatively recent Nexus 5, but very much feeling the upgrade. Unibody, full HD screen, can chuck 128Gb extra stuff in it and the front facing stereo speakers are glorious. Didn't end up paying anything extra when renewing. We did three phones and ended up about £35pm better off.

Great choice Pap. Only the size of that put me off - slightly - so I got a the oddly titled HTC Mini One 2, which is basically the mini version of the M8. Its not much smaller but it is excellent and the metal body puts all those Samsungs and LGs to shame. Agree about the front facing speakers, seriously good

Never understood why people care about things like the body of the phone. My phone is permanently in a case. A removal battery is much more of an advantage to me than if the back of my phone is plastic.

Nothing wrong with being happy with good quality, surely? My comments only reflect what others have told me. Plus, features like the dual front facing speakers are genuinely better than most other devices.

Just upgraded to a HTC One M8. Loving it so far. Came from a relatively recent Nexus 5, but very much feeling the upgrade. Unibody, full HD screen, can chuck 128Gb extra stuff in it and the front facing stereo speakers are glorious. Didn't end up paying anything extra when renewing. We did three phones and ended up about £35pm better off.

Get yourself a 'dot view' case too. Great fun!

Nothing wrong with being happy with good quality, surely? My comments only reflect what others have told me. Plus, features like the dual front facing speakers are genuinely better than most other devices.

I can understand that and the HTC is clearly a great phone. I just don't really get why build quality is such an important consideration since I can rarely tell any difference once it is in a case.

Great choice Pap. Only the size of that put me off - slightly - so I got a the oddly titled HTC Mini One 2, which is basically the mini version of the M8. Its not much smaller but it is excellent and the metal body puts all those Samsungs and LGs to shame. Agree about the front facing speakers, seriously good

Cheers Bucks; did the research beforehand - so knew it was well-reviewed. The only downside is the off-screen half-centimetre or so devoted to HTC branding. Could have been a slightly smaller phone without it, but it's really no deal breaker.

Get yourself a 'dot view' case too. Great fun!

Mixed reviews slightly putting me off, but found one for 17 quid. May get; certainly appeals to the geek in me.

I'd like an invite please, but I can't pm you as you're not a full member...

Would love an invite if you have one spare

alright guys, happy to dish out the invites on a first come basis, so will let you know when I receive them, keep checking this thread? Probably easiest if you give me your 1+ forum username so i can send it to you on there. I'll try and get hold for you on here first tho. Sorry, forgot I cant do Pm's

But yeah, I've had the phone since the end of august and im still waiting for them to send me invites.. but should come soon

alright guys, happy to dish out the invites on a first come basis, so will let you know when I receive them, keep checking this thread? Probably easiest if you give me your 1+ forum username so i can send it to you on there. I'll try and get hold for you on here first tho. Sorry, forgot I cant do Pm's

But yeah, I've had the phone since the end of august and im still waiting for them to send me invites.. but should come soon

I bailed out of getting the One plus when I did a phone size comparison on GSM arena it was mahoosive. can you use it one handed ? Got an LG G3 from expedit, thoroughly recommended , great battery life and easy to use

I bailed out of getting the One plus when I did a phone size comparison on GSM arena it was mahoosive. can you use it one handed ? Got an LG G3 from expedit, thoroughly recommended , great battery life and easy to use

Yeah you can use it one handed if you've got big hands like me. I didn't fully appreciate quite how big the phone is until I got it but not bothered, still a great phone. LG is a great phone too

LG g3 looks a great phone. Was a consideration during my upgrade review. The only pick-up it got was viewing angle.

It's a phone. You look directly at it. Who cares?

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest i use nearly every single handset daily in my job (and every tablet too) and i'd say they're much of a muchness. My professional opinion is that Apple devices are still the market leader in nearly every area of the technology, but are starting to lose ground hugely to Google. But with Google comes major privacy issues, which is my main reason for never getting an Android phone.

UI wis i personally think the one that nails it the best is ironically Windows, their phones have an utterly beautiful UX/UI design and have actually influenced nearly every other designer to join their "flat" design trend recently.

I'm due an "upgrade" (i tend to buy outright rather than being locked into contracts that are a total rip off) soon and i've got to say the choice is sparse and fairly poor. For a start wide phones to me are aesthetically ugly and pretty impractical. Especially since i don't watch films on them or play games on them. I'm more worried about the sleekness of the design, quality of the build and over all design language (UI etc).

Also i want access to a good browser, of which the choice is limited to Safari sadly, but that's mainly due Android's device owners feeling the need to **** around with the browsers and making them as reliable a piece of software as Internet Explorer.

In terms of security/privacy though there can only be one choice, the problem is it's not reached it's funding levels yet! https://ind.ie/phone/

Once it has arrived.... if you could be so kind. :)

I'll stick one on this thread mate for a fellow saints fan to enjoy, I've got mates asking so the others are allocated.

Before then the nexus 6 will be released and judging by the leaks it'll blow this away. It will be a major improvement over the original moto x which was by far the best phone I've owned.