What are you like in 'real' life?

Unbelievable Jeff

Obviously a lot of our traits are shown on this forum, but do you actually believe that you are the same on this forum as to how you are in real life?

For me, I think I'm a lot more serious on this forum than in real life, and am perhaps a bit more forthright in my opinions.

What does everyone else think? Does it bring out your best or worst side? Interested to know.

Almost always take the p*ss on here or say whatever rubbish enters my head to pass the time. In real life I'm a lot kinder and probably more accepting but I suppose I've never met someone like Saintandy or KelvinsRightGlove offline so I'm not sure how I would react to them in the real world. Could well be that they are just Charicatures of themselves on here which would explain that.

Almost always take the p*ss on here or say whatever rubbish enters my head to pass the time. In real life I'm a lot kinder and probably more accepting but I suppose I've never met someone like Saintandy or KelvinsRightGlove offline so I'm not sure how I would react to them in the real world. Could well be that they are just Charicatures of themselves on here which would explain that.

I think most people are a lot kinder in real life - you'd worry about the human race if not.

Don't really know much about Andy, but certainly even though we disagree on most things, KRG seems a decent guy from what I know about him (debates on here/follow on Twitter etc).

I haven't really got any set views on this, but as it was me who suggested you start this thread, then I feel almost obliged to post something, so here goes:

I think judging a person by what they write is probably better than a lot of other yardsticks some people use: wealth, appearance, background etc.

However, a problem that can occur is when posters use irony, sarcasm, parody etc. As you mentioned in the other thread, it is difficult to convey these things by just using the written word, and some people seem to struggle more than others to pick up when someone is not being particularly serious – or just joking – about a subject.

Also, how some people post depends on their mood on that particular day, but I guess this is reflected in real life as well.

People report I'm much the same :)

I wouldn't disagree with that. A liar's biggest problem is remembering which lie was told to which person. Similar can be said of constructing a forum persona that isn't reflective of what you're like in real life. You'll only ever end up getting found out....

People report I'm much the same :)

I wouldn't disagree with that. A liar's biggest problem is remembering which lie was told to which person. Similar can be said of constructing a forum persona that isn't reflective of what you're like in real life. You'll only ever end up getting found out....

Digressing from the main path of this thread a little, you, Pap, are one of only two posters (Tim being the other one, thanks to you!) that I can put a face to.

I like the fact that I tend to build up pictures of posters in my imagination. I think I'd be quite disappointed to find out that Bear wasn't actually a bear or Goat not actually a goat.

Does anyone else feel like this, or am I just weird?

Digressing from the main path of this thread a little, you, Pap, are one of only two posters (Tim being the other one, thanks to you!) that I can put a face to.

I like the fact that I tend to build up pictures of posters in my imagination. I think I'd be quite disappointed to find out that Bear wasn't actually a bear or Goat not actually a goat.

No, I think it's just you, sorry.

I'm not actually turkish. Its a funny name for an English man in know. My parents to be were on the same plane when it crashed. That's how they met. They named me after the name of the plane. Not many people are named after a plane crash.

Definitely just you. A goat has hooves, how the **** could he type?

I'm not actually turkish. Its a funny name for an English man in know. My parents to be were on the same plane when it crashed. That's how they met. They named me after the name of the plane. Not many people are named after a plane crash.

I wonder how many kids will be named MH370 in the coming years...

I'm the complete opposite. I like finding out what posters look like.

I know what Turkish, Bucks, VFTT, Verbal, Tim, UJ, Dr Who?, Coxford Lou, unionhotel, Channon's Windmill, KRG and irishsaint83 look like in real life.

Im alright I think, everyones a lot more OTT on a forum then in real life.

I let people go at crossroads, let people cross the road. Have a good job, my staff seem like me, people that have worked under me seem to like me. So hopefully Im not too bad a person.

You do get pictures of people in your head though.

Nice example of something I was referring to earlier, Pap.

Serious, irony, sarcasm, parody, joke – your post could be taken as any of those, or as a mix of any of those.

Yeah, and I like that sort of post.

I also enjoy a nice ambiguous statement without smilies. It really messes with the Bear.

I'm really a sad old git but somebody already has that user name.

No, honestly, I'm kind, understanding, witty, the life and soul of the party, far too attractive for my own good and the world's greatest lover. I also have a tendency to over exaggerate.

Seriously, if anybody would like a picture of me then they are welcome to send me a PM.

I just assume everyone is a caricature of themselves - all threads on here are created for discussion and debate, so everyone comes across very contrarian when they probably aren't anywhere near as so 'in real life'. And then text never comes off the same as speech does.

I do never understand why people sling insults around on an internet forum though. It's all a bit serious.

It's all too easy. I find myself doing it far more than is healthy.. Sure there is some reasoning about being able to be angry with strangers and no consequence

Getting annoyed at people who disagree with my view of Nigel Pearson should really be of no consequence.

Edited by whelk

I just assume everyone is a caricature of themselves - all threads on here are created for discussion and debate, so everyone comes across very contrarian when they probably aren't anywhere near as so 'in real life'. And then text never comes off the same as speech does.

Remember when first visited here it struck me how hostile it all seemed. Now I am used to it and part if it. As just said though not healthy

Im alright I think, everyones a lot more OTT on a forum then in real life.

I let people go at crossroads, let people cross the road. Have a good job, my staff seem like me, people that have worked under me seem to like me. So hopefully Im not too bad a person.

You do get pictures of people in your head though.

You sound too lovely. Are you mother Teresa?

A more contrarian poster you will not find.

Is your new shtick simply to follow me around the board, either replying to my posts or to posts about me? It's odd because up until a couple of weeks ago I didn't have clue who you were. Maybe you do it for attention?

Edited by hypochondriac