Calais

Batman

Listening to the radio this morning, they were interviewing some of the migrants and a French MP

The French MP was more evasive than ours (if thats possible), however he kept going on about Shengen (which the UK are not part of) and the need for cooperation between the Uk and France - reading between the lines, they will not do anything substantial and would if they could help every last one board a train to the UK.

The migrants are not going to give up - when challenged about the dangers of crossing, they said it is a 1000 times safer that going to sleep in Aleppo not knowing if your house will be bombed during the night.

Listening to the radio this morning, they were interviewing some of the migrants and a French MP

The French MP was more evasive than ours (if thats possible), however he kept going on about Shengen (which the UK are not part of) and the need for cooperation between the Uk and France - reading between the lines, they will not do anything substantial and would if they could help every last one board a train to the UK.

The migrants are not going to give up - when challenged about the dangers of crossing, they said it is a 1000 times safer that going to sleep in Aleppo not knowing if your house will be bombed during the night.

I wouldn't think that many of them are from Aleppo, and even if they are they must have passed through a lot of safe places on their way to Calais.

I wouldn't think that many of them are from Aleppo, and even if they are they must have passed through a lot of safe places on their way to Calais.

A good number have left syria - some have good English language skills so it makes sense from them to head for us

A good number have left syria - some have good English language skills so it makes sense from them to head for us

Not America, or Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada, or South Africa then, or any of the many other English-speaking language countries? Or any of the Arabic-speaking ones, come to that.

Not America, or Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada, or South Africa then, or any of the many other English-speaking language countries? Or any of the Arabic-speaking ones, come to that.

It might be an idea to think before you type (not that you've ever shown any evidence of doing that in the past). Do you think the following might have anything to do with it?

Aleppo to London - 4,265km

Aleppo to Ottawa - 8,713km

Aleppo to Washington DC - 9,275km

Aleppo to Pretoria - 10,600km

Aleppo to Canberra - 14,000km

Aleppo to Wellington - 16,300km

It might be an idea to think before you type (not that you've ever shown any evidence of doing that in the past). Do you think the following might have anything to do with it?

Aleppo to London - 4,265km

Aleppo to Ottawa - 8,713km

Aleppo to Washington DC - 9,275km

Aleppo to Pretoria - 10,600km

Aleppo to Canberra - 14,000km

Aleppo to Wellington - 16,300km

I am not stupid and I have been to all of these countries except South Africa but including Syria. The distances are irrelevant, it's more to do with what type of social benefits they can expect to receive on arrival. Britain pays 7% or the world's benefits. You have omitted all the countries between the UK and Syria which would provide a safe haven and all of which are a lot closer. Have a look at a map of the world and look at the countries of origin of these migrants compared with the location of the UK. You will find that we are stuck out in the corner on an island in the North Atlantic.

Aleppo to Turkish border 150km

Aleppo to Beirut 300 km

Aleppo to Limassol 271 km

Aleppo to Amman 371 km

Aleppo to Teheran 1605 km

All of these are a lot closer than London and there are many more.

And why do you feel the need for the personal abuse? Everything I write has been thought through beforehand. There was no need for your first sentence, it adds nothing to the debate.

The thing that ****es me off about this whole thing is if anyone says anything even remotely aggressive they get shot down as racist or whatever.

It isn't racist to point out these people who want to feel 'safe' and are escaping such horrible terrors have passed through multiple 'safe' countries to get to our borders.

A lot are economic immigrants, nothing more. Of course they want to move to a place where they get free healthcare, a free house, free education, free money etc. If you were in their situation you would too.

One thing that did make me laugh was one of them on TV is from Tunisia..... "we are in fear of death" he said. What is funny about it is he is from a place I have visited many times and never seen anything bad happen ever. In fact Tunisia has a lot lower crime rate then us and a far lower murder rate.

The sad thing is the ones who really do need the help and are actually escaping hell are lost in the river of idiots like that.

The thing that ****es me off about this whole thing is if anyone says anything even remotely aggressive they get shot down as racist or whatever.

It isn't racist to point out these people who want to feel 'safe' and are escaping such horrible terrors have passed through multiple 'safe' countries to get to our borders.

A lot are economic immigrants, nothing more. Of course they want to move to a place where they get free healthcare, a free house, free education, free money etc. If you were in their situation you would too.

One thing that did make me laugh was one of them on TV is from Tunisia..... "we are in fear of death" he said. What is funny about it is he is from a place I have visited many times and never seen anything bad happen ever. In fact Tunisia has a lot lower crime rate then us and a far lower murder rate.

The sad thing is the ones who really do need the help and are actually escaping hell are lost in the river of idiots like that.

Indeed.

No different to the hundreds of thousands who turn up from poor EU countries every year.

I don't want an open door policy, in fact I agree with UKIP's stance on this, however all this hype about these people (who obviously are in a more desperate situation than the average Polish immigrant) does make you wonder if it is because their skin is brown.

No different to the hundreds of thousands who turn up from poor EU countries every year.

I don't want an open door policy, in fact I agree with UKIP's stance on this, however all this hype about these people (who obviously are in a more desperate situation than the average Polish immigrant) does make you wonder if it is because their skin is brown.

it is because we CAN stop these. those in the EU (regardless of skin colour) we have made ourselves unable to stop

It would make no difference. We are not in the Schengen area at the moment so all they would need to do is get to Calais and then do what they are doing now.

But if we didn't have hundreds of thousands turning up from Poland and Romania every year a few who manage to sneak in via the tunnel wouldn't be a problem.

It would make no difference. We are not in the Schengen area at the moment so all they would need to do is get to Calais and then do what they are doing now.

agree it amazes me with the fantasy world that leaving the eu would stop the migrants..lol,i can see it now the guy from africa saying " everybody stop the uk has chose to leave the eu,lets go home " he he

How can such a relatively low amount of people cause so much trouble.

a few thousand people is nothing, but look what they are costing us, millions and millions.

Okay, say we let those ''few thousand'' currently besieging Calais to enter the UK illegally today - the next question is what happens tomorrow?

To answer that question, surely seeing this group's success will almost certainly encourage many more to follow them with the inevitable result that we have a escalating problem on our hands rather than a solved one. The supply of unfortunate people in this world who are both equipped and motivated to better themselves knows no limit while this small island of ours is obviously very much a finite resource.

A nation state that can no longer maintain any control of its borders is not worthy of the name.

Okay, say we let those ''few thousand'' currently besieging Calais to enter the UK illegally today - the next question is what happens tomorrow?

To answer that question, surely seeing this group's success will almost certainly encourage many more to follow them with the inevitable result that we have a escalating problem on our hands rather than a solved one. The supply of unfortunate people in this world who are both equipped and motivated to better themselves knows no limit while this small island of ours is obviously very much a finite resource.

A nation state that can no longer maintain any control of its borders is not worthy of the name.

I mean, I like the EU but I agree with this 100%.

The Schengen Agreement needs to be suspended until this is brought under control. Then the EU needs a sensible discussion about how to share the asylumn seekers; even I can see that the original agreement that applications can only be permitted in country of landfall is unrealistic (it massively benefits us to the detriment of the Med countries). It will take months, if not years

may have been already said, but how the hell has this been allowed to go on?

If people had stormed an airport, the police and army would have been called in to secure the area, and the people wouldnt have been driven 2 miles down the road and left to do it all over again.

"A nation state that can no longer maintain any control of its borders is not worthy of the name. " So that would be all of Europe and Africa and the USA for starters. Is the concept of Nation States doomed and out of date. Maybe this is a good thing as it is a concept designed to ensure power is retained by a privileged elite while the majority are kept in line by using the fear of Johnny foreigner and other patriotic nonsense. It is also the cause of most wars so what would a future without nation states be like, John Lennon had some thoughts on this.

That supports many peoples questions as to why people are passing multiple EU states to head to the UK, the French must feel insulted that people don't wish to stay! Kos has received 10K with a population of 30K, quite a figure.

We take a fair whack of EU economic migrants too, not sure how our %s work on that basis. It has been surmised before that all in we are taking on a population increase the size of the city of Southampton each year, which is mind boggling considering our housing shortages, crumbling NHS etc.