'Saints need to stop treating the fans with an arrogance bordering on contempt'

Maggie May

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15001051.READER_S_LETTER___Saints_need_to_stop_treating_the_fans_with_an_arrogance_bordering_on_contempt_/?ref=twt&cid=dlvr.it

Interesting letter, but what is striking me lately is the arrogance from Saints fans clearly forgetting where this club was in 2008. There is no divine right for us to be in the Premier League.

However, it's good to see people waking up to Puel being a terrible fit at St Mary's.

Strange that this sort of letter wasn't being sent to the Echo when we were winning games a couple of weeks back.

So fickle. We just don't have the players to be anything but mediocre, that's true but most just won't seem to admit it as such.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Although the writer makes some good points, I don't agree with everything.

I don't think we need wholesale panic buying or changes to the squad. There are promising players coming through who, handled well, will make a big impact. Our first-choice defence is solid.

But the things that bother me are:

Rotation to the point where our manager seems to think that virtually no player is capable of two games in a week, and playing anyone who's fresh is better than anyone who's played in the previous few days.

Now we're out of Europe, and about to exit the EFL Cup, we need to discover our strongest team and establish some consistency and continuity so players can actually understand each other and feel comfortable and confident.

And yes, a top-class striker would be useful but getting one at a sensible price isn't guaranteed, or even at a stupid price. Just think Osvaldo.

And a striker is only as good as the service, which I don't believe will come with our current setup. It looks as if Puel was given leave to switch to his preferred diamond, but that has proved to be ill-advised when the system through all levels in the club has been 4231, and it's worked and the players understand it.

I can believe Puel has lost the dressing room, or is close to it, for three reasons. Firstly, Fonte isn't happy. He wasn't picked at all for the Euro games, and Puel doesn't trust him to play two games in a week. This will spread to other players too. The persistence with Redmond nearly every game despite others being rotated must also be confusing. Secondly, I sense frustration with the negative tactics. I do believe that retaining possession has become the priority over any adventure, bravery on the ball or pace. I could add that I think fitness levels have dropped. This Instead of a regime that gets players fit enough to play twice a week, which clubs like Liverpool and Spurs have no problem with, we just accept that it's too much. And finally, if Puel displays the same charisma with the players as he does on his interviews, they must be close to suicidal. He also has a totally inadequate assistant in Black. Neither seem to me to be the characters to inspire and pick up a team losing belief and confidence.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Another excellent analysis

http://readsouthampton.com/2017/01/03/what-on-earth-has-happened-at-southampton/

Brilliant article, sums up everything I'm seeing and thinking about Saints at present. It's to the point and balanced but doesn't pull it's punches. Claude is on borrowed time.

He just hasn't had any connection with the supporters from the start which I think left him vulnerable with the dour tactics when results started to falter. You could argue neither did MP have a connection with the fans - which is the only fault I could pick in that article - but he did have smart people around like Perez who could bring the supporters around plus he made the squad super-fit and great to watch at times with an identifiable style and approach. By contrast, Eric Black is coming under increasing scrutiny and the famed due diligence slipped.

The only I can see Puel surviving long-term is to have a January window where 3 or 4 exciting players that can give everyone a lift come in but that would appear to run counter to the club's strategy.

The other thing I wanted to question was about the club pushing the academy too hard. To be fair to the club, Koeman genuinely wasn't interested in it and McQueen's emergence has been Claude's big triumph, along with the Inter result, and has probably bought him quite a bit of credit with the Board. Sims too has been a delight to watch since his introduction and Stephens got his debut at Everton and was solid.

For me, the bigger issues are CP's ongoing inability to cope with the media and supporter spotlight of the PL - and working all the hours of the day won't fix that. Black seems to be copping it from the ITKs and would appear to be on his way out shortly so a higher profile, media-savvy assistant who can lift sagging player morale and ease discontent seems key if the club want to stick with Puel. Reed had a stinker in the summer transfer window and the striker situation was staggering and Les should have challenged on that far more by both Claude but also the local media and fans. I'm glad Blackmore and Merrington are challenging far more at the moment.

Brilliant article, sums up everything I'm seeing and thinking about Saints at present. It's to the point and balanced but doesn't pull it's punches. Claude is on borrowed time.

He just hasn't had any connection with the supporters from the start which I think left him vulnerable with the dour tactics when results started to falter. You could argue neither did MP have a connection with the fans - which is the only fault I could pick in that article - but he did have smart people around like Perez who could bring the supporters around plus he made the squad super-fit and great to watch at times with an identifiable style and approach. By contrast, Eric Black is coming under increasing scrutiny and the famed due diligence slipped.

The only I can see Puel surviving long-term is to have a January window where 3 or 4 exciting players that can give everyone a lift come in but that would appear to run counter to the club's strategy.

The other thing I wanted to question was about the club pushing the academy too hard. To be fair to the club, Koeman genuinely wasn't interested in it and McQueen's emergence has been Claude's big triumph, along with the Inter result, and has probably bought him quite a bit of credit with the Board. Sims too has been a delight to watch since his introduction and Stephens got his debut at Everton and was solid.

For me, the bigger issues are CP's ongoing inability to cope with the media and supporter spotlight of the PL - and working all the hours of the day won't fix that. Black seems to be copping it from the ITKs and would appear to be on his way out shortly so a higher profile, media-savvy assistant who can lift sagging player morale and ease discontent seems key if the club want to stick with Puel. Reed had a stinker in the summer transfer window and the striker situation was staggering and Les should have challenged on that far more by both Claude but also the local media and fans. I'm glad Blackmore and Merrington are challenging far more at the moment.

AR-10 is full of absolute ****

Another excellent analysis

http://readsouthampton.com/2017/01/03/what-on-earth-has-happened-at-southampton/

Can't disagree with any of that.

The fact that we've scored 4 goals in total from games against Watford, Sunderland, West Brom, Palace, Everton, Hull and Stoke is alarming. 4 of those teams are currently our direct competitors and the rest will most likely be in the championship next season. That's a damning statistic and is no where near good enough.

The reality is that as per usual, we are very unlikely to spend any money in January. I'd expect the see Gallagher recalled and that's about it. Even if we do spend big, signs are pointing to the squad loosing faith in Puel and I don't think a new player will change that.

A lot of people (myself included) are saying it's not so serious yet. We've got 3 league fixtures coming up that we should really win (perhaps a draw at Burnley). If we end up with anything less than 4 points then I'll start getting a little worried...

Can't disagree with any of that.

The fact that we've scored 4 goals in total from games against Watford, Sunderland, West Brom, Palace, Everton, Hull and Stoke is alarming. ...

This time last season we had played them all bar Hull ( obviously in different league) & had scored the grand total of 1 goal . Were you even more alarmed then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This time last season we had played them all bar Hull ( obviously in different league) & had scored the grand total of 1 goal . Were you even more alarmed then?

Yes. But we turned it around after Christmas, and I'm not sure that will happen again.

Yes. But we turned it around after Christmas, and I'm not sure that will happen again.

Ok, so what league position do you consider par for us this season. Where would we need to finish for you to give Puel another season?

Ok, so what league position do you consider par for us this season. Where would we need to finish for you to give Puel another season?

10th to 12th, but only if we also see more cohesion on the pitch and less negative tactics.

When was the last time Saints board treated their fans with anything other than arrogance & contempt?

What do you expect from a poorly regulated industry awash with unaccountable cash, run by narrow-minded, self seeking nonentities who by and large have no interest in life beyond how to enrich themselves at the public's expense and living off the fat of the land.

We are the fools for turning up in our droves eager to hand over our hard earned money and expect nothing in return. The greedy barstewards must be laughing all the way to their bank vaults.

The solution is obvious but of course as with all addiction it is friggin nigh on impossible to kick the habit.... and 'they' know that and milk it for all it's worth. That's how it works, you earn it they take it off you.

Where in that scenario is the motive for change if change does not come from us?

When was the last time Saints board treated their fans with anything other than arrogance & contempt?

What do you expect from a poorly regulated industry awash with unaccountable cash, run by narrow-minded, self seeking nonentities who by and large have no interest in life beyond how to enrich themselves at the public's expense and living off the fat of the land.

We are the fools for turning up in our droves eager to hand over our hard earned money and expect nothing in return. The greedy barstewards must be laughing all the way to their bank vaults.

The solution is obvious but of course as with all addiction it is friggin nigh on impossible to kick the habit.... and 'they' know that and milk it for all it's worth. That's how it works, you earn it they take it off you.

Where in that scenario is the motive for change if change does not come from us?

Yeah, lets rip up our season tickets and do a march.... ;)

Vulnerable to what? Supporters throwing their toys out of the pram? Connection with the supporters means nothing in terms of whether or not he keeps his job, they are just there to cough up the money and STFU. What Les thinks is all that matters, supporters don't and should not have any influence.

So it's not about the position in the league, just whether you approve of his tactics.

I'd like some entertainment! Although being a bit more positive would probably go hand in hand with a better league position

Vulnerable to what? Supporters throwing their toys out of the pram? Connection with the supporters means nothing in terms of whether or not he keeps his job, they are just there to cough up the money and STFU. What Les thinks is all that matters, supporters don't and should not have any influence.

God, if this is you as a Saints supporter today I can't imagine how you felt during the Lowe years!

What a bundle of laughs you must be at games. Echo what Duncan RG posted below - you must have been one of the real Lowe zealots (although I was technically one as an STH at the time) during 08/09. You obviously aren't young enough to remember the Branfoot era because you wouldn't have posted like that if you had. The FANS got Branfoot out and whilst we are rightly and proudly considered one of the more fair minded sets of fans in English football, we won't put up with terrible, negative football without results and clearly watching very unhappy players. Branfoot was also sunk by rapidly falling gates which made the board act - I was at one game V Ipswich where it was claimed the gate was 9k but was clearly less and another FA Cup game with Port Vale where it couldn't have been much over 10k and the atmosphere was rank and hostile. Branfoot was quite open about the fact that his tactics were his tactics and he didn't care what the supporters thought. It cost him his job.

Burley was heading the same way before the SFA's brainfart and he was a popular appointment to start with, Puel less so. We'll accept variable results as a fanbase but not variable effort and scared, negative insipid fare.

Nowhere near this state of affairs yet mind, but it'll be interesting to hear some of the views at the next home match v Liverpool. I know quite a few STHs that are unlikely to renew if Puel and Black are still there and quite a few on here have posted to that end, moderate posters on the whole too.

Truth be told yes I was more 'alarmed' this time last year. Well, prior to the Arsenal game at least.