Striker

thorpie the sinner

We'd be mad to splash out £20m on a player who doesnt want to come and is being forced out of his club.

Perhaps, and he also seems quite a combustible fellow. But I guess if anyone knows how to manage him and get the best out of him it will be Poch.

I actually think we have a strong likelihood of signing him. Now the Wanyama saga is over I can see Cortese's putting all his efforts into getting this deal completed, especially with the Roma board so keen to offload.

One quite big reservation is how well he would be able to play with Lambert as both are natural lone frontmen. Maybe shift Lambert back into a deeper role, but this would have implications for Ramirez/Lallana etc., so hardly ideal. Call me sentimental but would hate to see Lambert's game time severely restricted next season. Understand the issues with his mobility but he really is such a talismanic figure for us. From what I gather, Osvaldo is not the sort to accept 'rotation' easily (berating management at Roma for not starting him, etc) which would make Lambert's position even more precarious.

20million euros is probably market-value for his level of ability, but still, taking into account his age I can't see us recouping a lot of that back. Probably worth the hit ability-wise, just worried that with the playboy attitude he'd majorly disrupt the dressing-room.

As said before though, Poch will know him better than most so hoping those worries prove unfounded.

My understanding of the major transfer goals over the summer was a £20 mill + Italian striker that would break the Saints signing on fee,who that meant is up for debate.Perhaps it still is in the working ,we wait and see.

My understanding of the major transfer goals over the summer was a £20 mill + Italian striker that would break the Saints signing on fee,who that meant is up for debate.Perhaps it still is in the working ,we wait and see.

Cheers VMAN. Italian striker or Italian-based striker?

Cheers VMAN. Glasgow, can you confirm this? :)

Not many players that can be... pretty much its Pablo Osvaldo.

Just checking out Osvaldo's wiki page, the lad doesn't seem to stay at one club very long, only one or two seasons. Plus he seems to have a reputation as a bit of a difficult character. Tbh I wouldn't be that keen on signing him. Would prefer Soldado/Damiao

For all you that love these youtubes....

To be serious, the upcoming clips is his goals from this last season at Roma.

If you want to see quality goals from a striker, look at these videos.

Almost every goal is pure pure quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Dru4zsx2w

Guy is a class finisher. Bit mental, but that is price you have to pay. Balotelli is mad as a box of frogs, but still good. Just hope he can be tamed. Failing that, a tazer or something. He would boss alot of teams in PL though. Big and strong.

Luis Muriel?

That's the one.

I've found the following site to be pretty much spot-on in the past - and they say Cortese has had enough of trying to lure Osvaldo to St Marys. To be honest, the media say us, Man City & Napoli are all serious contenders for his signature. As much as I love Saints to bits - we'll be bottom of that list of 3 clubs for a striker of his ability/ambition :

http://www.todomercadoweb.es/mercado-futbolistico/exclusiva-tmw-el-southampton-se-retira-de-la-puja-por-osvaldo-50583

That's the one.

I've found the following site to be pretty much spot-on in the past - and they say Cortese has had enough of trying to lure Osvaldo to St Marys. To be honest, the media say us, Man City & Napoli are all serious contenders for his signature. As much as I love Saints to bits - we'll be bottom of that list of 3 clubs for a striker of his ability/ambition :

http://www.todomercadoweb.es/mercado-futbolistico/exclusiva-tmw-el-southampton-se-retira-de-la-puja-por-osvaldo-50583

Would be a bit of a coup for Glasgow Saint if we signed Muriel :)

Is Osvaldo an and out CF?

Not seen him play so looked at his goal record, price seems high for 27 year old..

12/13. 16 in 29

11/12. 11 in 26

10/11. 13 in 24

09/10. 10 in 26

08/09. 0 in 20.

I know stats don't paint full picture, but not having seen him, what will £20m buy us as doesn't seem prolific.

What type of player is he?

Napoli are everyone who has ever kicked a ball aint they? Pretty sure their name is just chucked in to try and squeeze more cash out of buyers in deals all over Europe at the moment. Citeh are going big for Jovetic from what I can tell, so they may not be in the market. Not saying he will sign, indeed its indicated that its kind of fizzled out, but he will want to play in a world cup year, and his options will soon be few and far between.

Not seen him play so looked at his goal record, price seems high for 27 year old..

12/13. 16 in 29

11/12. 11 in 26

10/11. 13 in 24

09/10. 10 in 26

08/09. 0 in 20.

I know stats don't paint full picture, but not having seen him, what will £20m buy us as doesn't seem prolific.

Eh? Averaging a goal every two games over the past four seasons is very good.

There's some great movement in those videos and some top class finishes as well. If we serve him well and he can scout out the differences between Premier League and Serie A defenders then he could end up being very good indeed. Would still prefer someone without this 'character' tag if we can afford to be choosy though...

Again, Roberto Soldado is far too good to sign for Southampton.

City has backed off Osvaldo from what it seems and is targeting Jovetic/Negredo.

Napoli is connected to everyone out there but might be where Osvaldo would choose, but they are in for other players and they have to meet Romas valuation which it seems like we have done.

Talks about Cortese backing off, well I think the last few days would´ve learned us something there. It´s part of the game when dealing with transfers.

As I said earlier it might go on for another 2- weeks but if he doesn´t find a club in 2 weeks our chances would increase.

We are not favourites but for me there is a 30-40% chance it might happen.

I for one would love it, he´s a natural goalscorer. Strong, pacey, scores in every way with his right, left, headers, volleys, chips etc.....

People think he´s a bit of a nutter and well he probably want to be loved by the fans and being seen as the big star. In Roma he will never be that fan favourite because of Totti and others and if you wanna point out a crazy town regarding to football that would be Rome.

He has worked with MP without any problems at all and he would come in and be familiar with the system we´re playing.

His stats has only been good the last 4-5 years but he is a bit of a late bloomer....

Get him in there Mr Cortese!

12/13. 16 in 29

11/12. 11 in 26

10/11. 13 in 24

09/10. 10 in 26

50 goals in 106 games in the Spanish and Italian top flight isn't exactly poor.

Over a 38 game season that would average about 18 goals. Only van Persie, Suarez, Bale and Benteke scored more than 18 goals last season in the Premier League.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I have seen a fair bit of Totti (no pun intended) and have never quite got what all the fuss is about. Bit of a Beckham.

A Beckham? It seems a long time ago now but he was a world class footballer once.

As big as Lambert is in our opinions here, that doesn´t come anywhere close to Tottis status in Rome if you compare it that way.

Not at all, but if he wants to be the main man he's going to have some competition. Hardly a key point though

I have seen a fair bit of Totti (no pun intended) and have never quite got what all the fuss is about. Bit of a Beckham.

You can compare him to Le Tissier. Tiss didn´t get the recognition he deserved outside England (and probably not in England either).

The same with Totti, he doesn´t get the recognition he deserves outside Italy but has been just as good for Roma as Le Tissier were for us.

AND Totti has been part of teams that has won titles for his club.

Lazy luxury player, definitely. But also a football genius imo.

Not at all, but if he wants to be the main man he's going to have some competition. Hardly a key point though

Agree, not the key point but I think he would be loved big time if he comes here and plays up to his ability.

In Rome he scored a hattrick once and was booed off by the fans when he got subbed.....says it all.

A Beckham? It seems a long time ago now but he was a world class footballer once.

Not belittling his ability, just he is a huge deal in Italy, not just because of his football. His wedding was broadcast on tv there. In my opinion, he has a reputation that is built on far more than just what he can do with his feet.

From his Wikipedia page:

"On 2 March 2008, Osvaldo headed in a cross from teammate Papa Waigo to give Fiorentina a 3–2 win in stoppage time over fierce rivals Juventus"

Have a word Papa - get him on side! (actually, with Waigo that'd be hard)

I see what you did there ;)

50 goals in 106 games in the Spanish and Italian top flight isn't exactly poor.

Over a 38 game season that would average about 18 goals. Only van Persie, Suarez, Bale and Benteke scored more than 18 goals last season in the Premier League.

Strange edit of my post!

Didn't say it was poor.

Appreciate he is four years younger than RL, and can't say I have any idea how the scoring difficulties compare between two leagues.

Maybe I am out of touch we fees but £20+m sounded high.

RL managed 1 in 2.5 last season. Osvaldo has been better, but was asking more about him (although he is also 1 in 2.5 over last 5 seasons ;) )

As big as Lambert is in our opinions here, that doesn´t come anywhere close to Tottis status in Rome if you compare it that way.

Totti is like MLT, bobby stokes, mick channon ron davies and SRL rolled into one for roma fans.

Totti is like MLT, bobby stokes, mick channon ron davies and SRL rolled into one for roma fans.

Don't understate le tiss. Crop circles, u are now entering gods country. Other clubs think le tiss was as bigger cult hero as there is!

Not belittling his ability, just he is a huge deal in Italy, not just because of his football. His wedding was broadcast on tv there. In my opinion, he has a reputation that is built on far more than just what he can do with his feet.

These days maybe so - he is getting on a bit - but look at his goal scoring and assist record in Seria A- one of the toughest if not the toughest leagues to be a striker in....in technical terms he was simply outstanding. he has no pace yet you cannot get the ball of him and he can score from anywhere. A almost genius footballer actually for me. I only say that of very few players...at present only Pirlo Iniesta Messi Ronaldo and zlatan qualify as genius players for me today. Bale is making s good case - but come back when you've done it at least 5 years in a row and at international level too Gareth..:-)

Yep, good way of putting it for those who dont know just how big he is in Rome...

To understand it you probably have to go there for a game or two....it´s hard to understand how big he is there.

Why is a 27 year-old who's been scoring a goal every other game for 4 years a 'late bloomer'? Players don't hit their peak until 26/27.
A striker that doesn't start scoring until they're 25 is definitely a "late bloomer". His recent record is very good, but he has had a bit of a strange career.

Why is a 27 year-old who's been scoring a goal every other game for 4 years a 'late bloomer'? Players don't hit their peak until 26/27.

It was an assessment of his over all performances, not just the scoring part.

At 22-23 he still had trouble to get in the starting lineup so that´s why I have that opinion.

http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/osvaldos-agent-will-meet-with-zenit-tomorrow/

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo could say good bye to Italy. The striker joined his Roma teammates at training camp, he has been practicing with them but his future does not seem to be with Roma. Tomorrow his agent will fly to Europe to meet with Zenit St Petersburg, even though the striker prefers the Premier League

I have already speculated that we had a big named player at St Mary's the day the big coach cane in.

He walked around with Wanyama.

Some players and lots of staff had to leave certain areas because they want to keep it quiet from the press.

One player speculated he was from Roma to my source.

I have already speculated that we had a big named player at St Mary's the day the big coach cane in.

He walked around with Wanyama.

Some players and lots of staff had to leave certain areas because they want to keep it quiet from the press.

One player speculated he was from Roma to my source.

But was this necessarily a striker ?

Osvaldo agent flying to Europe to meet zenit apparently. BUT the latest latest hint coming out of Italy is the revealing comment that the player apparently prefers the Premier League.....

Of the possible Premier league teams looking ( and able to afford him) id think that if Man City wanted him he'd go in a flash, ditto Chelsea arsenal and spurs....but there are good reasons why none of those will want / have him, which leaves Saints as the only gig in town.....;

1. Man city just got rid of not just one Italian bad boy in balotelli but Tevez as well- I think pellegrini and he owners might just prefer a less problematic striker who can reliably deliver without too much coddling....osvaldo is not a "guarantee" player like higuain or soldado might be for instance...much higher risk reward ratio-- though possibly more upside.

2.Arsenal dont usually buy " characters" like him especially Italians. He's not their "type".

3.Chelsea have to get rid of a few forwards before they might take him. Unload Ba unload Torres then maybe- bu not all together- they need swop or sell. A Ba/ osvaldo swop is a possible plus cash from Chelsea...

4. Spurs are more possible of the main four I'd say but there silence suggests the manager doesn't fancy him, if they like Damiao then they must like osvaldo- can only be manager does not want that guy in his squad.

I don't think Everton or west ham or teams like that will have him so IF Osvaldo wants to play EPL then Saints is THE option. An easy decision really. Definitely a marquee signing... Fingers crossed....but I'm sure we have others lined up if he doesn't come off...

Osvaldo agent flying to Europe to meet zenit apparently. BUT the latest latest hint coming out of Italy is the revealing comment that the player apparently prefers the Premier League.....

Of the possible Premier league teams looking ( and able to afford him) id think that if Man City wanted him he'd go in a flash, ditto Chelsea arsenal and spurs....but there are good reasons why none of those will want / have him, which leaves Saints as the only gig in town.....;

1. Man city just got rid of not just one Italian bad boy in balotelli but Tevez as well- I think pellegrini and he owners might just prefer a less problematic striker who can reliably deliver without too much coddling....osvaldo is not a "guarantee" player like higuain or soldado might be for instance...much higher risk reward ratio-- though possibly more upside.

2.Arsenal dont usually buy " characters" like him especially Italians. He's not their "type".

3.Chelsea have to get rid of a few forwards before they might take him. Unload Ba unload Torres then maybe- bu not all together- they need swop or sell. A Ba/ osvaldo swop is a possible plus cash from Chelsea...

4. Spurs are more possible of the main four I'd say but there silence suggests the manager doesn't fancy him, if they like Damiao then they must like osvaldo- can only be manager does not want that guy in his squad.

I don't think Everton or west ham or teams like that will have him so IF Osvaldo wants to play EPL then Saints is THE option. An easy decision really. Definitely a marquee signing... Fingers crossed....but I'm sure we have others lined up if he doesn't come off...

I think the fans would love a character! Hope the Don works his magic!!

The story of Zenit is a bit weird if the player prefers PL.

And I can´t think of many players that has gone to Russia and then be picked to the national team in the World Cup.

There´s probably a few Brazilians but not many from the top european national teams.

If he came to us and scored 15+ goals during a PL season I would say his chances to be in the World Cup would be bigger....

I think the saga will continue, dont think our Don has throwed in the towel just yet....