Striker

thorpie the sinner

So we know we are in the market place for a new striker and silly numbers have been bandied around a la 20m!! We could certainly get a darn good striker for that kind of money! Already linked with Damiao and Osvaldo, which one of those two would be the bigger 'WOW signing, or would you prefer a n other?? Settle for eithe rof 2 mentioned, probably inching towards Osvaldo! 1) Man City expressed and interest and 2) he is certainly a character, think fans would love him!! Either way, with Wanyama capture, we have showed we will splash the cash and it looks like a strike is on our list, bring it on!!!

So we know we are in the market place for a new striker and silly numbers have been bandied around a la 20m!! We could certainly get a darn good striker for that kind of money! Already linked with Damiao and Osvaldo, which one of those two would be the bigger 'WOW signing, or would you prefer a n other?? Settle for eithe rof 2 mentioned, probably inching towards Osvaldo! 1) Man City expressed and interest and 2) he is certainly a character, think fans would love him!! Either way, with Wanyama capture, we have showed we will splash the cash and it looks like a strike is on our list, bring it on!!!

!!!!

I personally don't think we'll get either Osvaldo or Damaio. Damiao seems to want to go to Italy, and I'd be truly surprised if we managed to lure Osvaldo. We need a striker, and while we tend to aim for young, up and coming talented individuals, a striker IMO is better when he's proved he can score goals. To that end someone like Hooper or even Bent would be a good signing. I think Benteke will go to one of the bigger clubs. I'd take Defoe. Granted he's knocking on a bit but he's always scored goals. Think HCDAJFU.

I would love to see Hooper , I just know that he and wamyama would be Awsome for us. plus Hooper would love playing of a big guy like SRL. He may not be the big name that some crave but he sure as hell would score goals in our set up.

I'd be over the moon with either to be honest. However...

After Wanyama signed today I thought back to our signings since we were promoted from league 1. Correct me if I'm wrong but with the exception of Boruc we haven't signed anyone over the age of 25 since have we?

I'd be over the moon with either to be honest. However...

After Wanyama signed today I thought back to our signings since we were promoted from league 1. Correct me if I'm wrong but with the exception of Boruc we haven't signed anyone over the age of 25 since have we?

Steven Davis.

Jos Hooiveld.

After Wanyama signed today I thought back to our signings since we were promoted from League 1 . . .

Slightly off topic, but I was thinking about this today.

From the likes of Paul Wotton to Victor Wanyama in just a few years - an amazing turnaround and something that no-one could have predicted.

Fantastic achievement with exciting times ahead!

Reading between the lines we're going to play 4-3-3 this coming season with 3 central midfielders, 2 wide forwards and one striker. It means we're going to need someone much more mobile than Lambert to lead the line. I can see us starting with Rodriguez in the middle if that's the case and someone else wide on the left.

We can forget about Soldado. Damiao and Osvaldo are ambitious but he's on another level.

I'd like to see Damiao or Burak Yilmaz. Osvaldo is quality but if we can get someone of his ability without his, erm, 'character' then we might be doing ourselves a favour.

Slightly off topic, but I was thinking about this today.

From the likes of Paul Wotton to Victor Wanyama in just a few years - an amazing turnaround and something that no-one could have predicted.

Fantastic achievement with exciting times ahead!

It never gets dull comparing it does it?

Lovren joined on the same day Seaborne left.

Really is fantastic.

It never gets dull comparing it does it?

Lovren joined on the same day Seaborne left.

In that respect, it's Chaplow out and Wanyama in!

As much as I love Chappers, that's not a bad upgrade in anyone's book!

It's got to be Osvaldo for me. Being as MP has previously managed him I presume he thinks he could get his head together and if he did he'd be awesome in the PL.

Way better than the overrated Ballotelli IMO.

Easily a 20 goal striker and more than likely a lot more.

Just can't see it though.

And both have been quite useful for us too....

Definitely. I have nothing against signing players over 25 to do a job for us even though we tend to sign younger players (which as a policy I love).

Our best signing under Cortese was some striker bloke aged 27....

It's got to be Osvaldo for me. Being as MP has previously managed him I presume he thinks he could get his head together and if he did he'd be awesome in the PL.

Way better than the overrated Ballotelli IMO.

Easily a 20 goal striker and more than likely a lot more.

Just can't see it though.

Yep, think Osvaldo would be a revelation to saints, might take a bit of selling up tho!

Southampton retires from the negotiation for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. The continuous push and pull of the player brought the President Nicola Cortese and stand back. Osvaldo at the moment is no longer a goal of Southampton, which evaluates alternative solutions. Roma striker will have to look around ...

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tuttomercatoweb.com%2Fserie-a%2Fesclusiva-tmw-osvaldo-il-southampton-si-ritira-465065

Southampton retires from the negotiation for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. The continuous push and pull of the player brought the President Nicola Cortese and stand back. Osvaldo at the moment is no longer a goal of Southampton, which evaluates alternative solutions. Roma striker will have to look around ...

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tuttomercatoweb.com%2Fserie-a%2Fesclusiva-tmw-osvaldo-il-southampton-si-ritira-465065

Now is that because we have decided he wont join us, or is it because we have decided to look elsewhere, or because we have agreed to sign someone else...

hmm...it gets ever murkier....Apparently Zenit have matched our offer - 20m euros plus 4million euros salary (77,000euros pw...) but he does not want to go that north....and from last week we heard he was not all that excited about sfc (apparently) but with this latest calciomercato article today the translation suggests in the final lines that the Roma management, in particular Sporting Director Sabatini are pushing him to accept the Saints offer...

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/calcio_mercato/2013/07/12-328007/Calciomercato+Roma%3A+Zenit+pressing+Osvaldo

La dirigenza, con Sabatini in prima fila, sta convincendo l'attaccante ad

Per approfondire accettare la proposta del Southampton, club della Premier League. Anche gli inglesi hanno messo sul tavolo 20 milioni di euro.

The Directors, starting with Sabattini first of all, are trying to convince the striker to accept southamptons, (the premier league club), offer. They too have put 20-m euros on the table.

I suspect the directors are pushing him to join us its because our payment terms are clearer than the russians...or Nicola knows them somehow...;-), or they are incentivised somehow..

Edited by Giordano

Well, what is safe to say is that Osvaldo will move from Roma. They definitely dont want him there.

I wouldn´t expect him to throw his arms around us as a first option but as time goes by and no other options emerge he might be tempted to join up with MP again and maybe use us as a stepping stone to a bigger club. And if he´s under pressure from Roma management it might force him to take a decision.

I think a lot of clubs are very wary over his personality but looking back the only real problems has been at Roma.....

Either way I can see this saga continue for another 2-3 weeks....

How much did Man U pay for RVP, circa 20m? I know he's pushing 30 but the sort of money we're talking about can buy you a genuine match winner.

The issue with someone like RVP won't be the transfer fee, it'll be his wages that go with it. RVP will be on north of £200k pw, that's £10m a year just on his basic, then you've got his bonuses and NI contributions. If you spread the transfer fee over, say, a four year deal with everything in you've got to be looking at £20m a year. No way would Saints be able to afford that, although the initial transfer fee is within reach.

hmm...it gets ever murkier....Apparently Zenit have matched our offer - 20m euros plus 4million euros salary (77,000euros pw...) but he does not want to go that north....and from last week we heard he was not all that excited about sfc (apparently) but the Roma management, in particular Sporting Director Sabatini are pushing him to accept the Saints offer...

We'd be mad to splash out £20m on a player who doesnt want to come and is being forced out of his club.