New York

Turkish

I'm going to throw this out there:

I think it's a ****hole (I'm assuming you mean manhattan island and not upstate New York, which with the finger lakes and verging on Niagara near Buffulo is beautiful). I've spent roughly a year in the US and been to most of the continental states in the union and for me, it's probably the worst, the people are rude, the portion sizes are generally smaller than everywhere else and it, to me, represents probably the most European of US cities.

And that's what makes it so good, for me. I've been to America an awful lot in the past 15 years with work, probably over 50 times now and been to close to 40 of the states. New York is by far my favourite city, no other city comes close (although San Francisco is thoroughly decent).

And that's what makes it so good, for me. I've been to America an awful lot in the past 15 years with work, probably over 50 times now and been to close to 40 of the states. New York is by far my favourite city, no other city comes close (although San Francisco is thoroughly decent).

But isn't the point that it isn't a European city and shouldnt try to be like one? I just think it doesn't give a true picture of most of the country itself (although, its nowhere near as bad as Florida) I do actually like San Francisco too (although I think now that I'm much more into hill climbing, I'd enjoy it far more). Personally my favourite state is North Dakota (which I think says everything about my kinda taste.....long open plains, the black hills, lots of beauty all around with not a great many people to spoil it.)

I now wont be going this year. :(

Just do it. The most 'walkable' city in the world, with so many worthy art galleries, museums, and other attractions. or wait until dec/jan and go in the snow. 'Ti awesome. As mentioned before, you can spend a day at Ellis Island alone (followed by helicopter tour and empire state rooftop).

The only let down is the statue of Liberty. It's friggin tiny. From the impression garnered from films and television, I thought it would be much bigger!

We had a very pleasant time back in November.

Stayed in the Royalton on West 44th and 6th, Very nice. Breakfast over the road in The Red Flame was great and Cheap.

went on a great tour very small group and lasted 9 hours (certainly didn't feel like it) and we saw loads.

Chelsea Market down in the Meat Packing district is good especially if you like Lobster.

Thanksgiving Parade at the end of the street was quite a sight.

we walked Chuffin miles.

Only thing that I had wished I had done was skating in Bryant park in the shadow of The Empire State building, Central Park Was sponsored by Trump and expensive, the Rockerfeller centre was also expensive, sadly we ran out of time.

Not the cheapest city, as the tour guide said "most New Yorkers wouldn't think twice about paying $70 for a pair of Jeans" just about sums it up.

That said I would go back but not in a massive hurry.

Well actually I'm going there with work soon and was wondering if anymore has any more suggestions? I'll have a weekend free. So was thinking of finding a sports bar on the day Saints play chelsea. Any recommendations?

I'm also there over easter. Will keep an eye out for a Shearer in a Saints shirt on the saturday. Probably a few Blues around. The match starts at 11:00.

Anyone any tips on bars/pubs with live music?

Take the QM2 from southampton to NY at £600 each inc flights, Enjoy 5 days top nosh, etc, You get ashore about 9am, you cant fly home till 5pm because of heathrows night flight rules.... so Cunard lay on a coach which gives you an all day tour and drops those who want to shop at strategic points. Your luggage stays on the coach.

Or book two extra night in NY via cunard. however you have to organise your own taxis

Take the QM2 from southampton to NY at £600 each inc flights, Enjoy 5 days top nosh, etc, You get ashore about 9am, you cant fly home till 5pm because of heathrows night flight rules.... so Cunard lay on a coach which gives you an all day tour and drops those who want to shop at strategic points. Your luggage stays on the coach.

Or book two extra night in NY via cunard. however you have to organise your own taxis

Doesn't that berth in Brooklyn and not Manhattan?

Me and my better half went there a few years ago. LOVED it . Stayed at the ROOSEVELT on 45TH and Maddison, about 50 yrds from \Grand Central Station and 500yrds from the Empire State. Found Woodbury Common Shopping very cheap (outlets). You must do up/down bus tour/ Very good,

Be back there this year, staying at Edison NJ for 6 months (work). :)

I'm also there over easter. Will keep an eye out for a Shearer in a Saints shirt on the saturday. Probably a few Blues around. The match starts at 11:00.

Anyone any tips on bars/pubs with live music?

Where abouts are you staying? I'm tempted to go to Brooklyn. Had a look out on Time Out:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/bars/10-best-sports-bars

Which is usually a good source for places to go and see in various cities. Also have found out that an old school friend is currently working in NYC so will hassle them for some tips.

Who's been? Might go there next year. Is it as good as its made out to be? What's a decent place to get flights and hotels?

Yes. You will have a great time. Check the usual travel web sites for deals. Stay as close to Time Square as possible. Do plenty of walking for the best experience.

Just do it. The most 'walkable' city in the world, with so many worthy art galleries, museums, and other attractions. or wait until dec/jan and go in the snow. 'Ti awesome. As mentioned before, you can spend a day at Ellis Island alone (followed by helicopter tour and empire state rooftop).

The only let down is the statue of Liberty. It's friggin tiny. From the impression garnered from films and television, I thought it would be much bigger!

It took me 2 Hours to walk from 102nd street to 47th street....not that walkable!

I still say Washington DC is much more so.....only a 2 hour drive from NY too....definatley worth a visit!

I live just outside Washington DC - and its very walkable and nice....but totally devoid of any life or character. I absolutely love going to NYC......an absolute must is the High Line: it ends near a ton of bars like Cafe Pastis near the Meatpacking district.

Would not want to spend more than 3-4 days there at a time though.

I live just outside Washington DC - and its very walkable and nice....but totally devoid of any life or character. I absolutely love going to NYC......an absolute must is the High Line: it ends near a ton of bars like Cafe Pastis near the Meatpacking district.

Would not want to spend more than 3-4 days there at a time though.

Oh it has character lol.....outside the mall area, it's one of a mugger (I blame the not being eligible to vote for a long time bit). I often stay in McLean in VA so it's not quite DC but I agree about the 3-4 days though. But if you're a sports fan, trips to Madison Square Garden is a must (I've watched some wrestling, ice hockey and basketball there...all very worth watching) on the DC side, FedEx Field is quite an impressive stadium and the RFK near the Armory station is one of the grounds that hosted the 94 world cup.

Places like McLean are commuter belt and not really comparable to downtown DC. My company's HQ is at Dupont Circle and I love that and Georgetown area for going out. Both are very walkable with lots of good bars and restaurants.

Smack down in the middle of Dupont Circle? flippin eck....but yeah, Georgetown is quite the place to go of an evening. One of the ladies I know in McLean is always moaning about the "tourons" which probably has a lot to do with all the tourists who interupt the usual morning commute (I don't drive over the pond so a metro from West Falls Church at the end of the orange line is a daily thing).

Thinking about it though, as a bit of a geek and a history buff, you couldn't really do DC in 3-4 days (realistically I don't think I could cover it for years....the museums are like nirvana for me).

Where abouts are you staying? I'm tempted to go to Brooklyn. Had a look out on Time Out:

Which is usually a good source for places to go and see in various cities. Also have found out that an old school friend is currently working in NYC so will hassle them for some tips.

were staying in Midtown and me misses wont let me stray too far to watch the game. Too much planned for the four days. Saying that we will be in Brooklyn sometime (the Bridge walk), so it might be sat morning :)

Booked tickets for the NY Rangers on monday evening at Madison Sq Garden. Interested to see how the yanks do sport; mostly popcorn & hot dogs i guess?

were staying in Midtown and me misses wont let me stray too far to watch the game. Too much planned for the four days. Saying that we will be in Brooklyn sometime (the Bridge walk), so it might be sat morning :)

Booked tickets for the NY Rangers on monday evening at Madison Sq Garden. Interested to see how the yanks do sport; mostly popcorn & hot dogs i guess?

Quality of food will range from rubbish to good and so will the pricing!

We took in a Rangers game at MSG last Thursday. They lost 3-1, but it was an enjoyable evening. I see you've booked tickets, so you probably don't want the tip I was going to give you: wait outside and hold your nerve with the dozens of touts! The game was a sellout and we still got 2x good $132 seats for £115.

It's a great venue, the concourses and catering are great and the whole hockey experience is entertaining (if annoying during the tv timeouts!)

If you're staying in mid-town and have a couple of hours to spare on a Friday afternoon (2-4pm), I would thoroughly recommend the Food Cart Tour that we did. It was probably one of the best things we did here. A very informative and fun lad, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the history and quality of the carts. You do a walk around Midtown and sample food from 6 or 7 carts (savoury and sweet) and learn a lot about the history and the system. Just DON'T think of food carts as hot dogs only - they are for the sucker tourists who avoid the decent ones!

Brian Hoffman @EatThisNY or http://www.eatthisny.com You won't regret it.

8a3asy8e.jpg

ebanygu3.jpg

u5etu4a3.jpg

I've been twice and it is quality. The first time was with my mum and sister in 2005, didn't really do much as they just wanted to go shopping - although we did do a bus tour, which was very handy for the second time I went (last Feb with my gf) as I knew the city layout, which made walking around easier and knew the best places to go.

Done loads of touristy stuff the second time - Empire state, Statue of liberty, central park/new york zoo and went to MSG to watch a NY Knicks NBA match - which was very entertaining.

Unfortunately I'd already spent most of my money when I managed to track down Century 21, so couldn't pick up some bargain jackets.

As already mentioned, there are loads of diners which are great for breakfast. However, when going out for dinner I was expecting huge portions - maybe I picked the wrong places to go!

Definitely going back - would like to take in some night life next time, a few bars etc. Kasabian were playing a few weeks after I went - so I'd probably try and tie in some live music with the NBA season and also the MLS season.

EDIT - I forgot, when mentioning to an american fella that I was from Southampton he started talking about the dell and 1976, which was quite cool. Although another bloke I spoke to 'supported' Man Utd and hadn't even heard of Man City :D

Edited by saintrich

I am going on Tuesday. My 4th visit, after Aug 1994, Jan 2000, and Jan 2007. I love the place, this time I'm letting the missus (on her first trip there) set the agenda.

With the exception of Wrestlemania 29 at Met Life Stadium and Reading v Saints at 7:45am. :D

I never really wanted to go there anyway.

Too bad. It's a fascinating place. I've been four times. Would like to go back. It's like London and Paris - you can walk around for hours and hours, passing all these famous spots you've heard about, read about, and seen in the films and on TV. Much cleaner and safer now than it seemed in the 70s. So much to see and do there - so many different angles you can take in considering the place.

• 7 months later...
Too bad. It's a fascinating place. I've been four times. Would like to go back. It's like London and Paris - you can walk around for hours and hours, passing all these famous spots you've heard about, read about, and seen in the films and on TV. Much cleaner and safer now than it seemed in the 70s. So much to see and do there - so many different angles you can take in considering the place.

This. Been twice but not since 2005, hopefully again in the next year or two. Definitely much cleaner and safer "in real life" and one of those places you can keep going back to and never run out of things to do.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Circumstances have changed, I won't be going there for a few years!

We did as many bars as possible while there. Proper NY bars not the big sports bars.

Had a great time. Lasses off shopping. Guys finding these small bars all over the place. Trying a new IPA in every one. Some great local brews. Just avoid the Bud and similar ****.

Remember the spirits were cheap. Got really smashed before NYRangers match. What an evening. Pictures of us in parken up electric police cars!