When will the media stop writing 'despite losing......in the summer'

Saintru

Soon hopefully, reading that line is getting so dull now. Considering that we have played over 10 games in all comps now and won so many of them, it's hardly a secret or a surprise anymore that we're pretty good!

I think we will lose this as an into to all the articles about us at some point after christmas, but at the end of the season in all the "season reviews" and similar - it will be back!

To be fair, it makes a good story. Seeing a team doing well, despite what's happened etc. Makes it more of an interesting read, rather than just saying Southampton have won, bla bla. (Ok, for us it's annoying, but it probably makes it more of an interesting read for the neutral)

Has Neil Ashton or is he still clinging to the hope of watching us collapse in December
I am already tired of that narrative:

"Sure, Southampton is doing well, but wait until December. They'll come crashing down to reality."

The folks pushing this narrative are the ones who slated us for relegation and are now trying to find some way to save face. I hope to god the team comes out of December smelling like roses, and we can shut all the naysayers up.

Personally. I am ok with the summer narrative. I think that it makes a good story - juxtapositioning the perceived health of the club in the summer to the health it is in now.

I am already tired of that narrative:

"Sure, Southampton is doing well, but wait until December. They'll come crashing down to reality."

The folks pushing this narrative are the ones who slated us for relegation and are now trying to find some way to save face. I hope to god the team comes out of December smelling like roses, and we can shut all the naysayers up.

Personally. I am ok with the summer narrative. I think that it makes a good story - juxtapositioning the perceived health of the club in the summer to the health it is in now.

The only people I have seen, read or head reciting this "narrative" are people on this forum with their usual "the media hate us" persecution complex. No one actually says it.

It's a bit like the "when he wins he's British, when he loses he's Scottish" Andy Murray fallacy.

The "media" (as a whole, which it isnt) would be absolutely delighted if we end up third or fourth, even just to be in the mix come spring. They'd effing love it.

People on here need to get their chips off their shoulders.

This must be one of the best ones yet.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2814313/Graziano-Pelle-Southampton-hit-best-worst-Italian-strikers-Premier-League-history.html

When striker Graziano Pelle arrived on British scenes hardly anyone had heard of him.

Even disgruntled Southampton fans, who over the summer had seen their beloved club become a cash and carry with five key first-team players being snapped up by Premier League rivals, raised an eyebrow when the Italian put pen to paper on a three-year deal at St Mary's.

And who could blame them? Even if Southampton had somehow signed Cristiano Ronaldo they would still struggle to stay in the Premier League with a squad resembling an arid plain, they thought.

A cash & carry and an arid plain!!!

"Even disgruntled Southampton fans, who over the summer had seen their beloved club become a cash and carry with five key first-team players being snapped up by Premier League rivals, raised an eyebrow when the Italian put pen to paper on a three-year deal at St Mary's."

Well, I'm a Saints fan, and I was quite excited about that signing!

Well, I'm a Saints fan, and I was quite excited about that signing!

Agree. On paper, the 3rd best scoring record in Europe since 2012, after Messi & Ronaldo. It was a risk I guess coming from Netherlands, but early signs look good. I hate to say it about him, but I thought SRL's days might have been numbered with us, so was happy for him to get his dream move.

Nearly in November now and the media still can't help saying the above line, naming all the players that have gone and then talking about the game. Move on please.

Know what you mean. It is truly irritating and I now ignore articles that use it as the first or second paragraph. Was going to start this thread a couple of weeks ago but never got round to it.

Nearly in November now and the media still can't help saying the above line, naming all the players that have gone and then talking about the game. Move on please.

as usual .....they are two months behind in everything they write. Continuing to quote Pelle and Tadic's as " surprise summer signings " .....really is wearing a bit thin now.

I'm sure most neutrals are aware of where Saints are in the Prem.Table and who's who .... very poor journalism.

They are the media. There are no simple stories. Everything needs an angle.

We'll stop having references to the summer departures when a better storyline comes around.

Maybe the next one will be "Despite winning one domestic honour (in the form of the League Cup), Koeman's young saints want more cup glory and are even still in the hunt for European honours via the league. Neil Ashton reports from Staplewood. From the safety of his car. With his collar turned up so no-one knows it's him."

We can but hope.

Heard Chris Hughton on Talksport this morning coming out with the same old blah. I guess they think it gives the impression that they know what they're talking about when in reality there's only one or two journos out there that actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Saints. The rest just focus on the 'big' teams and the London clubs.

When?

When the media as a whole finds creating a "narrative" less lucrative.

I mean, seriously. What do you expect them to do... ignore last season and the players we had playing for us? Ignore the close season? Ignore the whole last 12 months?

This season Man U, for instance, will be defined by Van Gaal and his signings, Moyes and his signings and how well/poorly they did last season. Why would we be any different.

Get off your high horse, etc, etc... A person with a victim complex is really embarrassing to witness.

When?

I mean, seriously. What do you expect them to do... ignore last season and the players we had playing for us? Ignore the close season? Ignore the whole last 12 months?

This season Man U, for instance, will be defined by Van Gaal and his signings, Moyes and his signings and how well/poorly they did last season. Why would we be any different.

Get off your high horse, etc, etc... A person with a victim complex is really embarrassing to witness.

The Man U "narrative" also included a lot about "they haven't played anyone good yet" in the weeks before their Chelsea match last weekend.

Of course no one here noticed this as they think the media only ever say that kind of thing about Saints.

The big clubs get slated by all sections of the media all the time: over the last couple of days it has been Pelligrini's turn. Liverpool have been hammered. Arsenal hammered all the time.

It let's not ruin the fun.

When?

Beg your pardon. I find it irritating as the OP says when almost every article starts the same way.

The Man U "narrative" also included a lot about "they haven't played anyone good yet" in the weeks before their Chelsea match last weekend.

Of course no one here noticed this as they think the media only ever say that kind of thing about Saints.

The big clubs get slated by all sections of the media all the time: over the last couple of days it has been Pelligrini's turn. Liverpool have been hammered. Arsenal hammered all the time.

It let's not ruin the fun.

No ones saying it just us, just that it's tedious.

How dare the media suggest that some fans were not won over by the Pelle signing, outrageous.

It's not as though he was getting jeered 30 minutes into his debut or anything.

I will confess to finding that deeply troubling and embarrassing that we have so called fans that did this. Me and those around me in the middle of the Kingsland looked at each other in amazement.