Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: 30 years ago tonight

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shilton's 6 yard box
    Posts
    760

    Default 30 years ago tonight

    League cup

    Southampton 0 Swindon 2 HT

    Bruise Brothers Shearer and Ruddock subbed on

    Southampton 2 Swindon 2 FT

    Southampton 4 Swindon 2 AET

    Great night.

  2. #2

    Default

    one the best games Saints I have ever been to. Swindon brought a huge away support, there was an amazing atmosphere under the lights, and it was of course great game.

  3. #3

    Default

    Was this the game where Alan McLoughlin scored & played really well & pretty much convinced Chris Nicholl to buy him to make him our first £1m player?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default

    Sounds like I missed out on watching that one. Is it on YouTube or Snapnonsence? Lol

  5. #5

    Default

    There's a good pic from this game in 'In The Number ' book with a mini pitch invasion from the lower West benches when we get our equaliser .

    Cup runs under the lights at The Dell were amazing.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eastleigh
    Posts
    2,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    There's a good pic from this game in 'In The Number ' book with a mini pitch invasion from the lower West benches when we get our equaliser .

    Cup runs under the lights at The Dell were amazing.
    yep, Barry Horne!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    yep, Barry Horne!!
    Horne was a different lower west benches pitch invasion against Bolton a couple of years later wasn’t he.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon3737 View Post
    Sounds like I missed out on watching that one. Is it on YouTube or Snapnonsence? Lol

    http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Mat...tchID=19900708

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eastleigh
    Posts
    2,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    Horne was a different lower west benches pitch invasion against Bolton a couple of years later wasn’t he.
    yeah, i know, equalised in 95th minute against Bolton, people streaming back in. Just echoing your 'nights under the lights' at The Dell.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Goldfinger's Ranch
    Posts
    1,262

    Default

    I was at the Swindon game. Remember the third goal being a MLT free-kick bent round the wall into the top corner. Cracking goal.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shilton's 6 yard box
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Brilliant - thanks for posting. I did try to find highlights before posting the OP. I wasn’t even sure it was on TV.

  12. #12

    Default

    Great find. I don't remember any of those goals, just the huge crowd (you can see that ever stand is rammed. I don't think I've ever seen the Milton end so busy, there wasn't an inch of room even out towards the corner flags). Electric atmosphere and obviously having gone 0-2 down, it was extremely tense. Brilliant Saints team that season of course and not many left as we were always a threat. I think it's the first game I had seen at the Dell that went to extra time. Great days. This, Bolton and Oldham cup games really stick in mind.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,019

    Default

    Awesome,thanks for that.

    LeTiss, Wallace, Rideout. Absolute class.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shilton's 6 yard box
    Posts
    760

    Default

    The bend on that free kick from MLT - must be one of (even) his best. What a find!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    i could spit on man city's stadium
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Under the east stand that night, remember it like yesterday.
    Funny how certain games stick in the memory
    As everyone walked out, a massive rendition of ‘f@@k off Swindon, Swindon f@@k off’
    Happy times

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,151

    Default

    that was a great game. I was in the Milton just behind where Le Tissiers free kick went in, the bend was incredible and knew it was going in before he hit it, it just had that feel about it. Packed Dell, massive away following, two teams going for it, the under dog taking a 2-0 lead and their keeper playing out of their skin, a comeback, extra time and four great goals. I think I listed that as one of my favourite every games on another thread a few weeks ago. Night games in the cup at the Dell were something special

  17. #17

    Default

    That was a great season, MLT, Rod Wallace and Alan Shearer were on fire. Lots of goals scored and lots of goals conceded, 'Pool got a spanking at the Dell, 8 were scored against Norwich (h and a) and 6 against Luton at home.

    Chris Nicoll played some really entertaining teams, not bad for an old school centre half like he was.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    Horne was a different lower west benches pitch invasion against Bolton a couple of years later wasn’t he.
    1991-92. Lost to Norwich in the quarters.

  19. #19

    Default

    That is beautiful. Love Saints.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabrone View Post
    That was a great season, MLT, Rod Wallace and Alan Shearer were on fire. Lots of goals scored and lots of goals conceded, 'Pool got a spanking at the Dell, 8 were scored against Norwich (h and a) and 6 against Luton at home.

    Chris Nicoll played some really entertaining teams, not bad for an old school centre half like he was.
    Yes, one of our underrated managers who was treated shabbily in the end. Sadly in poor health now.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stud mark of doom View Post
    The bend on that free kick from MLT - must be one of (even) his best. What a find!
    I’d forgotten this one with so many others getting in the way. What a strike.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,019

    Default

    Funny how that MLT goal is never on a highlights reel.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eastleigh
    Posts
    2,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Yes, one of our underrated managers who was treated shabbily in the end. Sadly in poor health now.
    you think, we were awful the next season and were so close to be relegated. Something like 20 games or so without a win, ironically after he’d won a MOM award I think. He tried to go after the Forest game, his dog had died, we lost the replay and that was it for him, but they would not take his resignation. Only a late surge inspired by a Neil Ruddock penalty (Le Tiss was on the pitch too WTF) against Newcastle if memory serves me well?
    If you want to talk about underrated, Rod Wallace, totally underrated and never really took off after he left us. Nice lad too, awful agent.
    as for Nicholl genuinely nice man, shame to see him now but as for results, that season was bad.
    and then came Branfoot

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    you think, we were awful the next season and were so close to be relegated. Something like 20 games or so without a win, ironically after he’d won a MOM award I think. He tried to go after the Forest game, his dog had died, we lost the replay and that was it for him, but they would not take his resignation. Only a late surge inspired by a Neil Ruddock penalty (Le Tiss was on the pitch too WTF) against Newcastle if memory serves me well?
    If you want to talk about underrated, Rod Wallace, totally underrated and never really took off after he left us. Nice lad too, awful agent.
    as for Nicholl genuinely nice man, shame to see him now but as for results, that season was bad.
    and then came Branfoot
    Yeah, Rod Wallace was brilliant in 89/90. Genuinely top class.

  25. #25

    Default

    Rod Wallace did win the league with Leeds. Strange he never got any international recognition but he had a pretty decent career.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Rod Wallace did win the league with Leeds. Strange he never got any international recognition but he had a pretty decent career.
    I know what you mean. It feels like he should have gone to great things. Despite winning the league it feels like he didn't really achieve what he should.

    A bit like Walcott. I know he's had a good career and his bank balance will be fine, thanks, but it feels like he never found his groove.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shilton's 6 yard box
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    you think, we were awful the next season and were so close to be relegated. Something like 20 games or so without a win, ironically after he’d won a MOM award I think. He tried to go after the Forest game, his dog had died, we lost the replay and that was it for him, but they would not take his resignation. Only a late surge inspired by a Neil Ruddock penalty (Le Tiss was on the pitch too WTF) against Newcastle if memory serves me well?
    If you want to talk about underrated, Rod Wallace, totally underrated and never really took off after he left us. Nice lad too, awful agent.
    as for Nicholl genuinely nice man, shame to see him now but as for results, that season was bad.
    and then came Branfoot
    Pretty sure it was the season before this one that we went 20 games without a win. But, to be fair to Chris, we were also top of the league early in on that previous season and finished strongly. The season with the Swindon win was one of our best ever I think. You’re right that the next one wasn’t as good.

    In retrospect Nichol was a really good manager whose main problem was following on from an all time great.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •