Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 84 of 84

Thread: Europa battle

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Goldfinger's Ranch
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    is this a serious quote?
    jesus, bet you’re be first in line to polish that 10th Place Trophy
    This is the most ridiculous thing said on here that maybe I have ever seen.
    clearly you didn’t go to The EL games a few years ago, because if you were at the San Siro or Prague or Holland, you surely would have thought that this was about as good as it gets for team and supporters like us.
    id take a EL group stage chance over finishing 17th all next season anyday.
    I was at all three home EL games and made the trip to San Siro. It was fantastic. Would love to be in Europe again. BUT. Couple of EL qualifying rounds and group games is 10 extra games. My point is that are squad is so thin that we would end up back in a relegation fight next season. Thats my view. Accept that others may take a different view. Doesnt make any of us less of a supporter

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwsaint View Post
    I was at all three home EL games and made the trip to San Siro. It was fantastic. Would love to be in Europe again. BUT. Couple of EL qualifying rounds and group games is 10 extra games. My point is that are squad is so thin that we would end up back in a relegation fight next season. Thats my view. Accept that others may take a different view. Doesnt make any of us less of a supporter
    If they made Europe they'd probably slightly increase the squad size to deal with the extra games. You can't judge the squad in a non European campaign season for a European campaign season.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Hypothetically (I don't think we'll qualify, even if 8th gets us in) our second string XI is a bit like

    Gunn

    Valery - Vest - Danso - Vokins

    Romeu - Smallbone

    Djenepo - Boufal

    Adams - Obafemi

    So if we rested our entire first XI for European games and put that side out, it's not a disaster. I think Boufal and Danso may well leave, so there could be a stronger option there. Possibly Stephens if we get a decent CB in. Also if we really insist on keeping Long, then one of the other two has got to go. One non-scoring striker we can live with but not three. Obafemi out on loan, a decent replacement and Long dropping from our first choice team would be my preference.

    In short, on the outside chance we qualified for Europe, I think we'd cope reasonably well. If anything, too many players is our problem and the likes of Moi and Hoedt might do alright in European games.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Hypothetically (I don't think we'll qualify, even if 8th gets us in) our second string XI is a bit like

    Gunn

    Valery - Vest - Danso - Vokins

    Romeu - Smallbone

    Djenepo - Boufal

    Adams - Obafemi

    So if we rested our entire first XI for European games and put that side out, it's not a disaster. I think Boufal and Danso may well leave, so there could be a stronger option there. Possibly Stephens if we get a decent CB in. Also if we really insist on keeping Long, then one of the other two has got to go. One non-scoring striker we can live with but not three. Obafemi out on loan, a decent replacement and Long dropping from our first choice team would be my preference.

    In short, on the outside chance we qualified for Europe, I think we'd cope reasonably well. If anything, too many players is our problem and the likes of Moi and Hoedt might do alright in European games.

    That team is terrible. Massive lack of experience and / or limited ability. It’d struggle in the championship, let alone Europe

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    That team is terrible. Massive lack of experience and / or limited ability. It’d struggle in the championship, let alone Europe
    Nonsense, all of them except Vokins and Smallbone have shown they are more than capable in the Premier League.

  6. #56

    Default

    (and Danso)

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Nonsense, all of them except Vokins and Smallbone have shown they are more than capable in the Premier League.
    All have been dropped because they’re not capable in the premier league

  8. #58

    Default

    Excluding Djenepo and arguably Boufal in that list.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    All have been dropped because they’re not capable in the premier league
    They don't play because we have better alternatives, that does not mean they aren't capable in the PL.

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    They don't play because we have better alternatives, that does not mean they aren't capable in the PL.
    How do you think that team would do over the course of a season then pal?

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    How do you think that team would do over the course of a season then pal?
    Well it doesn't really work as a question because you need more than 11 players in a squad, but they'd be competing towards the top.

  12. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    They don't play because we have better alternatives, that does not mean they aren't capable in the PL.
    Romeu has been past his best for seasons now and should've been sold as he's nowhere the standard we need.
    Vestergaard has been awful, and arguably one of the main reasons we conceded so many.
    Gunn let in 9 (NINE) goals in a single game, he has potential but he's nowhere near good enough to be a premier league keeper right now.
    Danso is our 4th choice center back, on loan and probably won't be renewed as he's not seen as good enough.
    Obafemi is raw, seems to lack discipline in training and hasn't really had two decent performances in a row. If he's the answer then i'm not sure what the question is.
    Adams hasn't scored a single goal all season, it's a long shot to argue he's a premier league standard player when he's a striker with zero goals.

    Smallbone and Vokins have barely got any experience.

    Djenepo, Boufal and Valery i'll give you.

    That team would get battered in most league cup games, let alone european games.

  13. #63

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    If we beat West Ham, Newcastle and Norwich we’ll be in with a chance, Arsenal / Wolves look like they could have Europa league commitments going on for a while that could help us, we’d need to get above Sheff Utd and Burnley which is do able I think.
    BIB If that had been said at the start of the season I'd have assumed we'd have been discussing staying up. Discussing overtaking those two for a chance of a Europa place reflects positively on all 3 clubs and their performances this season.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Romeu has been past his best for seasons now and should've been sold as he's nowhere the standard we need.
    Vestergaard has been awful, and arguably one of the main reasons we conceded so many.
    Gunn let in 9 (NINE) goals in a single game, he has potential but he's nowhere near good enough to be a premier league keeper right now.
    Danso is our 4th choice center back, on loan and probably won't be renewed as he's not seen as good enough.
    Obafemi is raw, seems to lack discipline in training and hasn't really had two decent performances in a row. If he's the answer then i'm not sure what the question is.
    Adams hasn't scored a single goal all season, it's a long shot to argue he's a premier league standard player when he's a striker with zero goals.

    Smallbone and Vokins have barely got any experience.
    My post was responding to how they'd do in the Championship as SKD said they'd struggle. Adams has more than proven himself at that level.

    Leicester weren't interested in Vestergaard for ****s and giggles. He isn't as bad as many make out.

    Danso is **** I agree, Smallbone and Vokins I acknowledged are unproven.

    Using the Leicester match to write off Gunn is unfair, he wasn't to blame for the 9 goals. I think his time will come again.

    Romeu has declined, but could easily do a job in the Championship.

  15. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    My post was responding to how they'd do in the Championship as SKD said they'd struggle. Adams has more than proven himself at that level.

    Leicester weren't interested in Vestergaard for ****s and giggles. He isn't as bad as many make out.

    Danso is **** I agree, Smallbone and Vokins I acknowledged are unproven.

    Using the Leicester match to write off Gunn is unfair, he wasn't to blame for the 9 goals. I think his time will come again.

    Romeu has declined, but could easily do a job in the Championship.
    SKD's point remains though, play that team in the Europa league (not that we're getting into it) and we'd be out straight away. It's simply not good enough.

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    SKD's point remains though, play that team in the Europa league (not that we're getting into it) and we'd be out straight away. It's simply not good enough.
    The Europa League qualifying rounds and group stages have some pretty ****ty teams in it. Plus we'd be unlikely to not have any of the first choice players in the team.

  17. #67

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    My post was responding to how they'd do in the Championship as SKD said they'd struggle. Adams has more than proven himself at that level.

    Leicester weren't interested in Vestergaard for ****s and giggles. He isn't as bad as many make out.

    Danso is **** I agree, Smallbone and Vokins I acknowledged are unproven.

    Using the Leicester match to write off Gunn is unfair, he wasn't to blame for the 9 goals. I think his time will come again.

    Romeu has declined, but could easily do a job in the Championship.
    Gunn apparently has a diabolical shot/save ratio at Southampton....

  18. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    The Europa League qualifying rounds and group stages have some pretty ****ty teams in it. Plus we'd be unlikely to not have any of the first choice players in the team.
    The same qualifying rounds which, the last time we were in them, we got knocked out of.... which a squad 10x stronger than the one above.

    I can only assume you’re on a wind up, in which case fair play you’ve got me to bite.

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    The same qualifying rounds which, the last time we were in them, we got knocked out of.... which a squad 10x stronger than the one above.

    I can only assume you’re on a wind up, in which case fair play you’ve got me to bite.
    He's not on a wind up, he's just a bit odd. Don't forget this is the nipper that genuinely thought we'd get champions league and was convinced we would increase the stadium to 45k and sell it out. Football for him exists on a computer, it has no bearing at all to real life.

  20. #70

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    He's not on a wind up, he's just a bit odd. Don't forget this is the nipper that genuinely thought we'd get champions league and was convinced we would increase the stadium to 45k and sell it out. Football for him exists on a computer, it has no bearing at all to real life.
    In our league one days he said we were the most attractive side in the country for a player outside of the current top 4.

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Had we lost to both Villa and West Ham, and the gap from them 2 teams closed to 3 points, would you have considered us for relegation, or would you have considered them both safe?

    Fortunately for us, Villa are shambolic and allowed us to waste multiple chances, which on another day would cost us.

    No need for the personal insults though buddy, if you’re that irate and upset that people have a differing opinion to you then a football forum isn’t for you.
    We didn't' lose to Villa. We're not going to be relegated. Your hypothetical "gotcha" questions are lame as fu ck sunshine.

    The only hypothetical I am interested in how how much you will sh it yourself about how complacent everyone is being and how doomed to relegation we are if we dare to drop any points on Saturday.

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    He's not on a wind up, he's just a bit odd. Don't forget this is the nipper that genuinely thought we'd get champions league and was convinced we would increase the stadium to 45k and sell it out. Football for him exists on a computer, it has no bearing at all to real life.
    He’s got a point though. Plums who don’t want European football should give up.
    Everyone seems to have bought into rest the poor little petals as they can’t play two games a week.
    Wolves making a decent fist of it and playing most of their PL team.
    Back up players could easily play with a mix of first team.

  23. #73

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    That team is terrible. Massive lack of experience and / or limited ability. It’d struggle in the championship, let alone Europe
    Che Adams, who scored 15 goals at that level would struggle?
    Gunn, who all the Norwich fans were raving about, would struggle?
    Djenepo, man of the match according to many, against Villa?
    Boufal 'the most talented player in the Prem' according to someone on here?
    Was Hooiveld better than Vestergaard?
    Romeu, player of the season under Puel?

    It'd struggle in the Prem but I'm on about playing it in the Europa League. How do you think Hapoel Be'er Sheva would get on in the Prem? Or Levadia Tallinn, BATE Borisov and Grasshopper Zurich?

    Anyway, it wasn't really my point. People were suggesting we'd struggle in the League if we had to play in Europe too. My point is, even if we made no signings and rested our entire first XI, we could still put a reasonable team out. It's not like we'd be playing Fox, De Ridder and Seaborne.

  24. #74

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eastleigh
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwsaint View Post
    I was at all three home EL games and made the trip to San Siro. It was fantastic. Would love to be in Europe again. BUT. Couple of EL qualifying rounds and group games is 10 extra games. My point is that are squad is so thin that we would end up back in a relegation fight next season. Thats my view. Accept that others may take a different view. Doesnt make any of us less of a supporter
    Don’t think I said it made you less of a fan and the fact that you went to Milan makes your post even more surprising.
    Who cares about a relegation fight and if you're going to stay up and not challenge the top, then a relegation fight is bloody entertaining anyway. I can’t wait to go back to Europe and hope we get some backwater club in Uzbekistan, would love it.

  25. #75

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    The top 6 have squads capable of fighting on multiple fronts. Iirc the last sides to be the 7th European qualified side have been us, Everton, Burnley, Watford and Leicester who all went on to have pretty disastrous domestic campaigns the season they were playing in Europe.
    Wolves this season have very much bucked the trend, but Watford might well get relegated.
    I pray we don’t somehow qualify, it would be a nightmare with our squad.
    Didn't we finish 8th with a cup final last time we were in Europe? hardly seems like a disastrous domestic season.

  26. #76

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,732

    Default

    While having an outside chance of Europe will keep the season interesting a bit longer I cant see us getting into Europe, this season, this team is to bloody inconsistent and quite frankly after the start we made to this season (and the last couple of seasons) a solid mid table finish would be a decent outcome this season.

  27. #77

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Didn't we finish 8th with a cup final last time we were in Europe? hardly seems like a disastrous domestic season.
    It was an absolute disaster pal. The football was boring ALL season including the cup final, the two wins against Liverpool, the win at emirates and against inter but more importantly Puel didn’t have me rolling around on the floor with his interviews.

  28. #78

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    He’s got a point though. Plums who don’t want European football should give up.
    Everyone seems to have bought into rest the poor little petals as they can’t play two games a week.
    Wolves making a decent fist of it and playing most of their PL team.
    Back up players could easily play with a mix of first team.
    Exactly. We don’t need to make eleven changes for Europe FFS.

  29. #79

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Searching for the voice of reason
    Posts
    3,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It would be fantastic to get into Europe from having the start we’ve had this season. Just thinking back to the Everton game gives me the shivers.

    It’s a long shot with so many teams above us, but it’s been a funny old season. I don’t understand why anyone would not want the team to excel.

  30. #80

    Default Europa battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    It was an absolute disaster pal. The football was boring ALL season including the cup final, the two wins against Liverpool, the win at emirates and against inter but more importantly Puel didn’t have me rolling around on the floor with his interviews.
    I remember being really bored in Milan, off work for a few days with mates, visiting bars. Remember it being very subdued with no one chatting or having fun. Think we were all quiet, pondering, worrying how we were going to watch Saints stink out one of the world’s most iconic stadia with dull football. Such boring times and something I wish I could erase from my memory.
    I try to block it out replacing with thoughts about that time we finished 7th and got £2million more than Newcastle who were 8th. More of that please to block out the darkness.

  31. #81

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    I remember being really bored in Milan, off work for a few days with mates, visiting bars. Remember it being very subdued with no one chatting or having fun. Think we were all quiet, pondering, worrying how we were going to watch Saints stink out one of the world’s most iconic stadia with dull football. Such boring times and something I wish I could erase from my memory.
    I try to block it out replacing with thoughts about that time we finished 7th and got £2million more than Newcastle who were 8th. More of that please to block out the darkness.

  32. #82

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    I remember being really bored in Milan, off work for a few days with mates, visiting bars. Remember it being very subdued with no one chatting or having fun. Think we were all quiet, pondering, worrying how we were going to watch Saints stink out one of the world’s most iconic stadia with dull football. Such boring times and something I wish I could erase from my memory.
    I try to block it out replacing with thoughts about that time we finished 7th and got £2million more than Newcastle who were 8th. More of that please to block out the darkness.
    I must have been with you pal. My group were there in silence thinking we’d rather be at home letting the players get some all important rest so we could prepare for the weekends massive premier league game In the fight for 7th. We worried about the squad being too tired and if we had enough depth for our push. Then we went to the bar after the game and heard Puels interview, I’d only
    Just managed to stay awake during the game but sitting in an Italian bar a few beers deep I fell into a deep siesta, one of the locals thought I’d died of boredom! He commented something in Italian which I believe translated “how do you put up with those interviews every week?”

  33. #83

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,836

    Default

    We aren't getting Europe are we. Still too many off days like Burnley, not clinical enough.

    I'd be chuffed with 10th though given our start and how held back by poor signings we've been.

    Also, getting to or bettering Puel's 46 points is realistic. Crazy that got 8th that season really. Think we came 8th on 60 points before that, huge difference in wins, goals, style etc.

  34. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Also, getting to or bettering Puel's 46 points is realistic. Crazy that got 8th that season really. Think we came 8th on 60 points before that, huge difference in wins, goals, style etc.
    13/14 8th - 56 points
    14/15 7th - 60 points
    15/16 6th - 63 points
    16/17 8th - 46 points

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •