FM 2010 hints, tips, cheats & gems of players / tactics

SO16_Saint

Matt Le God, i think that re gens need to be looked at for the next one, once the original list of players have been depleted you just don't get good enough new players coming in.

You do get the odd decent ones, but never many that good, especially midfielders that are always crap in regards to marking, i have had to convert defenders into DM to get me through.

S_S has a point, the regens at Saints are crap considering the quality of academy we have IRL and in the game. The status of the academy ought to improve next year as well with the improvements being made by the board.

However, there are always some quality regens going on frees. I had an International manager game going as Scotland for a while on FM10 (and FM09 as well), and most of my players had been released at some point during their careers. As Scotland in FM10 I won a European Championship, and in FM09 we won 3 Euro's and 1 World Cup. Speaks volumes! :D

S_S has a point, the regens at Saints are crap considering the quality of academy we have IRL and in the game. The status of the academy ought to improve next year as well with the improvements being made by the board.

However, there are always some quality regens going on frees. I had an International manager game going as Scotland for a while on FM10 (and FM09 as well), and most of my players had been released at some point during their careers. As Scotland in FM10 I won a European Championship, and in FM09 we won 3 Euro's and 1 World Cup. Speaks volumes! :D

It's not just saints !! I mean the whole world. I have managed to get saints to 13th in the world by 2016 (took over after getting Luton promoted !! So 10/11 in league 1) But do agree, we have world class youth and still get dump in my youth acadamy, most of my budget goes to youngsters and i cancel most of the new youth contracts, Napoli seem to get an unusual amount of decent young'uns.

But all in all the re gens on the WHOLE game seem to be not good enough. Surely the algorithms are not that hard.

It's not just saints !! I mean the whole world. I have managed to get saints to 13th in the world by 2016 (took over after getting Luton promoted !! So 10/11 in league 1) But do agree, we have world class youth and still get dump in my youth acadamy, most of my budget goes to youngsters and i cancel most of the new youth contracts, Napoli seem to get an unusual amount of decent young'uns.

But all in all the re gens on the WHOLE game seem to be not good enough. Surely the algorithms are not that hard.

Remember that in the real world Gary Neville is considered a pretty decent player in arguably the top team in the best league in the world. You DO get decent regens in the game, but they're quite rightly far and few between.

• 2 weeks later...

I got FM for my iPhone last week, and spent pretty much all last week playing.

I'm managing Southampton, and I manage immediate back-to-back promotions to the Prem (take note Pardew 8)). I can see that my squad is not good enough for the Prem, but the board still won't give me any transfer funds (they do set a massive wage budget, but it doesn't help much because I can only sign free transfers).

So we have a hard first season in the Prem, but somehow we just manage to avoid relegation :D and while I'm still celebrating... I get the sack.

Go figure!

I got FM for my iPhone last week, and spent pretty much all last week playing.

I'm managing Southampton, and I manage immediate back-to-back promotions to the Prem (take note Pardew 8)). I can see that my squad is not good enough for the Prem, but the board still won't give me any transfer funds (they do set a massive wage budget, but it doesn't help much because I can only sign free transfers).

So we have a hard first season in the Prem, but somehow we just manage to avoid relegation :D and while I'm still celebrating... I get the sack.

Go figure!

You do know you can use excess wage budget for transfer fees right?

I seem to be getting a world class one through ever second season or so. Cant see a problem with regens in this version. I also think that your scouting network also affects the quality of regens coming through your own ranks.

Matt Le God, i think that re gens need to be looked at for the next one, once the original list of players have been depleted you just don't get good enough new players coming in.

You do get the odd decent ones, but never many that good, especially midfielders that are always crap in regards to marking, i have had to convert defenders into DM to get me through.

A huge amount of work goes into making sure the game seasons down the line is balanced in terms of the quality of newgens (SI stopped using regens years and years ago ;)).

In my Saints savegame I'm in 2026 and it seems fine and balanced imo and pretty much every player is a newgen by that point 16 years in the future.

Edited by Matthew Le God

A huge amount of work goes into making sure the game seasons down the line is balanced in terms of the quality of newgens (SI stopped using regens years and years ago ;)).

In my Saints savegame I'm in 2026 and it seems fine and balanced imo and pretty much every player is a newgen by that point 16 years in the future.

I Missed Re-Gens. gone are the days of putting players on the shortlist and then waiting for them to retire and get a new player with the same great stats for almost no money. (CM2 I think did this)

• 2 weeks later...

How did you play Barnard? I've tried him in a number of roles, Poacher, Trequartista, Advanced Forward, and none of them have suited him and he's on a big barren spell at the moment. Connolly doesn't really score that many either, but he does chip in with a lot of assists and plays well off Lambert (who's scored 14 in 14).

Oh, and tip for anyone, play Dickoh as Limited Defender>Stopper, and Fonte alongside him as Ball Playing Defender>Cover and you will never concede a goal without a mistake being made. Only ever conceded 1 goal when Dickoh's played, he is an absolute beast.

Tbh I think I had a new striker I brought in but it was a while ago, can't really remember. Will have a look/think and get back to you.

Just checked, and it was Matt Paterson :o

He got 26 goals...

Edited by Saint_clark

Getting a bit easy now, won the Prem, LC & FAC 7 years in the row. CL twice now as well.

Shelvey is a club legend, had him since season one, best 3.5m you could spend.

Also if you can buy the Huddersfield keeper called Smithies...England number 1 and worth about 12m.

Went umemployed and on holiday until end of 2014 season and added myself in as Saints boss. Finished 17th in Championship but given 6.9million to spend went up as champions far too easily.

Spent big this summer after being given 38million by Markus and somehow sit top of the prem 12 games. Team is full of regens so I won't paste the team but I do have a 33 year old Saviola in my squad, as well as Fonte still.

Can't believe I'll keep it up but quite good fun not knowing who the word class players are at every club anymore.

Got a couple of fantastic regens, can we post screenshots on here? And how? If anybody is interested?

• 2 weeks later...

whats the latest version is there a full patch for the last transfer window? Before you respond I have the MAC version via download so if there is an update then please point me in the right direction. (I have tried the check updates and it says I am up-to-date however the database does not include the last transfer window's changes)

whats the latest version is there a full patch for the last transfer window? Before you respond I have the MAC version via download so if there is an update then please point me in the right direction. (I have tried the check updates and it says I am up-to-date however the database does not include the last transfer window's changes)

http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=patches

If you have the Mac download version you need the Mac eSellerate 10.3 patch.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't wait to see Pompey crash and burn in the next FM :D

Yeah, but I bet their researcher takes an optimistic view of the quality of the aging squad, untried youth, and worst of all financial outlook. My guess is that most games will see them favourites for promotion, however unrealistic that is in reality.

The Saints squad might also be a bit less of a challenge, especially if it's kept on freespending mode. There will be a good team in place, plenty of cash, and not even too many deadweights to oust.

I think Pompey's situation is quite accurately portrayed on 10.3 with all the available information at the time.

As pointed out by FMPR above, he is far from optimistic with the situation. I tried managing them and was hard to do anything unless you had a firesale due to the staggered loan repayments.

I bet you I don't and never have done. Suggest you play a game with 10.3 and see how optimistic I am

Admittedly still on 10.2, but Pompey always failed to go bust, and on most games ended up qualifying for Europe at the end of the first season. By season 2 Pompey had cleared their debts and were back spending silly money again.

Assume 10.3 is far more realistic.

• 1 month later...
Just got a new PC

I have FM09. Is it worth getting this or should i wait for FM11?

You can get FM10 for under £15.

FM11 will likely be out in Oct or Nov. No-one knows for certain yet. Gives you 3 or 4 months of play for £15 until FM11 so not bad value for money.

Best thing to do would be try the free demo of FM10 and see if you like it...

http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=demo

Edited by Matthew Le God

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3160

That's the best one available at the moment, but I should imagine that there'll be a lot of people doing new ones coming out within the next couple of days with the deadline day deals all added in.

Give me a PM if you're having any issues installing or loading the file, and happy playing!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3160

That's the best one available at the moment, but I should imagine that there'll be a lot of people doing new ones coming out within the next couple of days with the deadline day deals all added in.

Give me a PM if you're having any issues installing or loading the file, and happy playing!

Thanks mate!!

You can get FM10 for under £15.

FM11 will likely be out in Oct or Nov. No-one knows for certain yet. Gives you 3 or 4 months of play for £15 until FM11 so not bad value for money.

Best thing to do would be try the free demo of FM10 and see if you like it...

http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=demo

How come your only a humble registered user now then?