They can't be serious...?

Saint_clark

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1993315,00.html

One of the stupidest ideas i've ever heard....

If you listen to interviews with Matt Le Tissier, he still speaks in glowing terms about the family he stayed with and all the help and support they gave him in adjusting to life away from his own family. Without them we may never have got to see everything that followed if homesickness had forced him back home to Guernsey.

Some soulless bedsit/hostel or a real family atmosphere and someone to share your problems with ..... you choose.

If you listen to interviews with Matt Le Tissier, he still speaks in glowing terms about the family he stayed with and all the help and support they gave him in adjusting to life away from his own family. Without them we may never have got to see everything that followed if homesickness had forced him back home to Guernsey.

Some soulless bedsit/hostel or a real family atmosphere and someone to share your problems with ..... you choose.

Well i'd say a proper lodge for the youth players would be the best way (which is what I thought we had anyway).

Why??

Merely returning to what appeared to be a very successful part of developing our young players and helping their transition from their home to living and working away. I would guess people like LeTiss and Shearer would advocate this?!!

Well i'd say a proper lodge for the youth players would be the best way (which is what I thought we had anyway).

At the impressionable age in question then putting them in a lodge would be a disastrous idea. As has been said, this idea has gone on for years and years and seems pretty succesful.

At the impressionable age in question then putting them in a lodge would be a disastrous idea. As has been said, this idea has gone on for years and years and seems pretty succesful.

The point could also be made that at that age some kids might feel awkward in a family environment that isn't their own, making them feel even more home sick.

You hear from the players who it helped but i'm sure there are just as many, if not more, who had to leave the club due to homesickness anyway.

If it's been proven to work in the past then obviously I was wrong, but reading that they make it sound as if they housed the players themselves and have given up on that trying to save money.

Using words like "exciting new initiative" to describe what is effectively a re-launch of a well established practice throughout football, but has probably been wholly ignored since the lodge was established is merely marketing speel. I'm notsure where in the article SaintClark you read about saving money. And why does that matter? The important thing is that the club do what is best for the youngsters in supporting and devoping them. You could also put this move in the positive column for "building contact between club and fans" (for want of a better phrase!).

A positive move and just the start of NCs plan fir making our academy the best in the country.

Using words like "exciting new initiative" to describe what is effectively a re-launch of a well established practice throughout football, but has probably been wholly ignored since the lodge was established. I'm notsure where in the article SaintClark you read about saving money. And why does that matter? The important thing is that the club do what is best for the youngsters in supporting and devoping them. You could also put this move in the positive column for "building contact between club and fans" (for want of a better phrase!).

A positive move and just the start of NCs plan fir making our academy the best in the country.

RE. your first point, it would make the article sound better if they quoted the success stories from the past that have been listed here.

And for your second point, I assumed (because they said it was a new initiative) that they had provided accommodation previous to this and were trying to save some pennies by making others pay for their keep.

If it's been proven to work in the past then obviously I was wrong, but reading that they make it sound as if they housed the players themselves and have given up on that trying to save money.

How exactly are they saving money and how much? Or are you saying the hosting families will not be paid to do this?

This is a real non-story. Pretty well all clubs have been doing this for donkeys ears. NC wants our academy to be the best in the country and will probably need more accomodation for incoming scholars. It is just a re-launch to make potential hosts aware and get more of the local community involved. All very positive I think.

RE. your first point, it would make the article sound better if they quoted the success stories from the past that have been listed here.

And for your second point, I assumed (because they said it was a new initiative) that they had provided accommodation previous to this and were trying to save some pennies by making others pay for their keep.

Agree with your remark concerning first point. Maybe it's a conscious effort to publicly leave the past in the past to minimise association with those who do not need to be mentioned!!

In regard to costs I would be amazed if the host families suffered any expense, i'm sure they will be suitably compensated!

Why are they hailing it as an "exciting new initiative" then?

Even if it has been going on for a while I think it's pretty stupid, and seems a desperate way to save a bit of cash. Not sure why we need to do that.

Why is it a desperate way to save cash? The last time I heard about this scheme the families get an allowance to feed the trainee?

Even after reading this thred I'm really not sure what your problem is!

Why are they hailing it as an "exciting new initiative" then?

Even if it has been going on for a while I think it's pretty stupid, and seems a desperate way to save a bit of cash. Not sure why we need to do that.

they haev not just been doing to for `a while', its been going on since the beginning of time. In recent years we've moved away from this and instead using an acadamy lodge, but perhaps this has not been providing the atmosphere/environment the club wants.

This has gone on for years...not a new idea at all.

Nothing new - at all.

There are various articles, and mentions in books of young players " lodging " with families way back in the 1960's.

It's good for the young / single players to have a home base, and a sympathetic landlady who can be " mum" for them, especially if they'd come from long distances.

Sometimes, even senior players took in apprentices from faraway places. It wasn't so easy travelling back and forth to Scotland in the 1960's, and we had quite a few Scots in the youth sides around that time.