Parachute payments

sadoldgit

I think when this was raised a while ago, someone said even if the Premier League clubs agreed to it, which they were always going to do, it still has to be accepted by the Football League. Not sure whether this would be the board or the Championship clubs but if this is correct perhaps it may still not be passed.

Is this more money for the relegated clubs or is it the same amount of money but paid out over 4 years rather than 2?

it was rumoured to be £50m over 4 years, instead of the current £30-£35m over 2

would have thought that distorts the championship even more

it was rumoured to be £50m over 4 years, instead of the current £30-£35m over 2

would have thought that distorts the championship even more

It was reported that its £48m over 4 years - £16m for two years then £8m for two years.

Heard an interview with Ray Ranson (Cov City Chairman) yesterday who used Southampton as an example of a club struggling having come down from the PL. He therefore supported the idea. This sets a worrying precedent for the other Championship chairman who may support it in the hope of getting up for one season. Would expect most of the L1 & L2 chairmen to vote against.

Expected nothing else from the PL though, the pigs at the trough just continue to feed themselves even more.

Subject to ratification at a meeting in June, I believe. Almost all the Fotball League would be against it, surely?

I dont know.

3 teams come down, they bring with them the promise of 4 years worth of cash to spend in the CC and League 1 (usually) - so from the start some of that money is benefiting other League teams

Secondly, and someone please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but if a team goes up before the scheduled end of their parachute payments, the excess is wrapped up and given to the FL to distribute. So, assuming after 2 years all 3 of the relegated teams have gone back up, there there is (3x2) years worth of cash for the FL.... each season.

Secondly, and someone please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but if a team goes up before the scheduled end of their parachute payments, the excess is wrapped up and given to the FL to distribute. So, assuming after 2 years all 3 of the relegated teams have gone back up, there there is (3x2) years worth of cash for the FL.... each season.

This is my understanding. The Blackpool fans in my office are already working out how to spend their share of Newcastle's 2nd payment.

I think this is the thin edge of the wedge, teams that are relegated will have an unfair advantage on existing teams in the championship so will in no doubt bounce back to the premiership. So over a couple of years after the same teams bounce backwards and forwards between leagues how long before the premiership say whats the point of relegation and it becomes a closed shop.

I think this is the thin edge of the wedge, teams that are relegated will have an unfair advantage on existing teams in the championship so will in no doubt bounce back to the premiership. So over a couple of years after the same teams bounce backwards and forwards between leagues how long before the premiership say whats the point of relegation and it becomes a closed shop.

Don't think they would, as a competition it would have so much less interest without the relegation battles and would impact on TV viewing figures. Less people watching = less money.

I dont know.

3 teams come down, they bring with them the promise of 4 years worth of cash to spend in the CC and League 1 (usually) - so from the start some of that money is benefiting other League teams

You're not wrong. Didn't Birmingam go straight back up?

Arse about face. they say it's to bridge the financial gap between Prem and CCC. Why not give all clubs less money when in the Prem and distribute any leftovers to lower leagues and grass roots to develop the game. All this will do is encourage teams like the Skates to spunk it all up the wall knowing they have 4 years to sort it out if they go down. It just shoves the problem two years further down the line unless you get back up.

I think the FL should stand up and be counted. To level the playing field they could deduct points for prem teams joining it with a cash advantage!

Or they could just say we dont want you! Apart from the Prem Top 6 the Championship has the opportunity to have some 'big' clubs in it, or at least as big as the remainder of the Prem. When there is a European League breakaway then we have 2 similar leagues.

Oh well just feeling miffed and a bit contentious! Discuss?

It should be decresead if anything. It's almost like giving a club some sort of reward for being relegated. Sorry, but you should have played better.

If you can't sustain your premiership wage bill after relegation then sell the players and buy CCC standard ones that you can afford to pay.

The way the money is divided up in football nowdays sux big time. It is about to get even more unfair if this measure goes through.

Anyone who doesn't see this as part of the march towards Premier A and Premier B is blind.

Within 7 years the 20 premier league clubs and 16 CCC clubs receiuving some form of parachute payment break way to be PLA and PLB, two leagues of 18 which is what UEFA want.

Anyone who doesn't see this as part of the march towards Premier A and Premier B is blind.

Within 7 years the 20 premier league clubs and 16 CCC clubs receiuving some form of parachute payment break way to be PLA and PLB, two leagues of 18 which is what UEFA want.

I think you are right. The only other alternative might be a break away European league (volcanos permitting) leaving behind a watered down Premiership.