The Euro

Thedelldays

In the circumstances Greece needs to devalue it's currency to make itself more competive, but because it's in the Euro it can't devalue. If britain was in the Euro we'd be stuck with a strong currency and that would mean our exports would be more expensive. It can argued that our economy doesn't have a strong manufacturing base, but the weak pound has fuelled exports and this is the reason why we are just out of recession. Looking to the future who's to say we won't start manufacturing more in technologies such as wind turbines or other hi-tech industries - this seems to be the direction we're going in - and by being in the Euro we'd be stuck in a static exchange rate. The Eurozone is in big big trouble and if the problems spread from Greece to other weak nations such as Spain and Portugal you'll thank your lucky stars we're not in it.

We shouldn't have the Euro as we benefit massively having a more flexable currency when things go to ****. We're coming out of this recession at a faster rate then the rest of Europe as we've been able to lower the value of the currency and increase exports. We wouldn't be able to do that going through Brussels for every decision.

In theory, the Euro would benefit us if there was no more boom and bust, but there is so we should stay put.

The eurozone covers too many countries with very different economies. If it was just, say - UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Denmark I could see a lot of sense in it.

I quite agree. If it were a north European currency then it would be very strong and we'd fit in easily.

With the Eurozone as it is, as European as I am, it's a non starter.

The eurozone covers too many countries with very different economies. If it was just, say - UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Denmark I could see a lot of sense in it.

To an extent it could work if just the strong countries were in it. How it is at present is like the US Dollar being the currency of North and South America. If this happened countries like Argentina and Brazil couldn't function with a strong currency and equally the US would suffer because they'd have to prop up these countries. Greece is costing Eurozone nations such as France and Germany Billions in loans (that could be defaulted on) to keep the economy on life support and if we had joined the Euro we'd in the same boat as france and Germany. However this is just the begining -WATCH THIS SPACE- because if and when the troubles spread to other weak nations the Euro could collapse and then Britains woes won't seem so bad in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_6e1A7gzA

Look at Merkels face at the end.:D

LOL

The van Rompuy one is my all time favourite rant, for obvious reasons..

I may be being a little politically naive, but what is the possibility of Nigel Farage appealing to the British public more IF, he was, say, a leader with a similar powerbase to the big three?

I have to say that UKIP, like the Greens and BNP etc would be rubbish as a "parliament", but Farage is brilliant. A politician not afraid to speak his mind, but, able to get his point across in a clear and articulate way.

agree..he is one of the dying breed..excellent at his point and sticks to his guns...

I have to say that UKIP, like the Greens and BNP etc would be rubbish as a "parliament", but Farage is brilliant. A politician not afraid to speak his mind, but, able to get his point across in a clear and articulate way.

agree..he is one of the dying breed..excellent at his point and sticks to his guns...

Agree. Very impressive. I wouldnt vote UKIP but we need more able politicians like him from all shades of opinion in Parliament and fewer careerists.

LOL

The van Rompuy one is my all time favourite rant, for obvious reasons..

I may be being a little politically naive, but what is the possibility of Nigel Farage appealing to the British public more IF, he was, say, a leader with a similar powerbase to the big three?

The more you see of Nigel Farage the more you like him. I used to think he was a knob but seeing how he rattles the EU beurocrats with a smile on his face is quality. You've got to admire him for not giving a **** what anyone else thinks - he says it how he see's it and what you see is what you get.

Thats exactly why I like him - like you say, we could do with fewer careerists. Here is a guy who seems to genuinely care for the welfare - and he's angry about the way people do get mistreated. Angry, but articulate.

I just wish a few more people 'knew' about him!

In May 2009, The Guardian reported that Farage had said in a speech to the Foreign Press Association that over ten years as a member of the European Parliament he received and spent nearly £2 million of taxpayers' money in expenses and allowances, on top of his £64,000 a year salary.[10]

The former Europe Minister, Denis MacShane, said that this showed that Farage was "happy to line his pockets with gold". Farage called this a "misrepresentation",

Thats exactly why I like him - like you say, we could do with fewer careerists. Here is a guy who seems to genuinely care for the welfare - and he's angry about the way people do get mistreated. Angry, but articulate.

I just wish a few more people 'knew' about him!

I can't wait to get my UKIP membership pack through the post and go to their conferences as his oratory would make the day very entertaining.

In May 2009, The Guardian reported that Farage had said in a speech to the Foreign Press Association that over ten years as a member of the European Parliament he received and spent nearly £2 million of taxpayers' money in expenses and allowances, on top of his £64,000 a year salary.[10]

The former Europe Minister, Denis MacShane, said that this showed that Farage was "happy to line his pockets with gold". Farage called this a "misrepresentation",

Yes, they tried the same with Nick Griffin. Lambast the outspoken with the same kind of scandals that get us all in a tizz over the big 3 parties and suddenly Lab/Lib/Con don't seem such a bad thing after all..

I think they are intent on people having a 'best of a bad bunch' outlook

:)

He actually seems quite popular amongst some of the members... I wonder if there is a few of them sat in that colourless, stale room thinking "I wish I could stand up and say what he's saying, do what he's doing"...

Edited by Crab Lungs

:)

He actually seems quite popular amongst some of the members... I wonder if there is a few of them sat in that colourless, stale room thinking "I wish I could stand up and say what he's saying, do what he's doing"...

Look at Brown smiling about selling our bullion at rock bottom prices.:rolleyes:

There are many financiers and economists who believe that the Euro will fall apart within a decade as the tensions within it are just to large. The best thing for Greece to do would be to quit the Euro, go back to a (debased) Drachma and inflate/default the debt.

As for our membership of the Euro? The one good thing Gordon Plonker Brown did was to keep us out. Blair wanted us in so he could give even more fellatio to his buddies in Europe. We should never join. Not ever. There are no benefits in the long run.

If it can benefit our economy and trading, then I don't really have any objection to it. However, at this moment in time, I don't think it's the right thing to do. Maybe in 4-8 years when the Lib Dems would want us to join it might be a more sensible idea, but for now we should definitely stick with the good ol' british pound.

'Referendum' we have had a promise of one of those before havent we!!!!

Yes, but remember that the principle of referenda are literally inbuilt into the Liberal Democrat party, they are the only fully democratic party of the main 3 where all members have equal sway in who is the leader and so on...

Some say that technically before entering into any formal coalition they would have to ballot all members... so I could have a say in that ;)

Yes, but remember that the principle of referenda are literally inbuilt into the Liberal Democrat party, they are the only fully democratic party of the main 3 where all members have equal sway in who is the leader and so on...

Some say that technically before entering into any formal coalition they would have to ballot all members... so I could have a say in that ;)

Didn't seem "inbuilt" when they went back on their word over the Constitiuation.

Back to the topic and the Lib-Dem manifesto says:

We believe that it is in Britain’s long-term interest to be part of the euro. But Britain should only join when the economic conditions are right, and in the present economic situation, they are not. Britain should join the euro only if that decision were supported by the people of Britain in a referendum.

Back to the topic and the Lib-Dem manifesto says:

We believe that it is in Britain’s long-term interest to be part of the euro. But Britain should only join when the economic conditions are right, and in the present economic situation, they are not. Britain should join the euro only if that decision were supported by the people of Britain in a referendum.

Well that's pretty unequivocal. Don't see how anyone can have a problem with that other than if you take the view that a plebicite is not an appropriate forum for making that decision as it's too complicated for most people to take an informed view on. If that is your stance then you'd only be concerned if you were in favour of the Euro as a plebicite is much more likely to throw up a "no" vote IMO.