Just back from the game thread

InvictaSaint

One if the advantages of being exiled in north Kent is that I am home already! Woeful first half from us. Fonte was having a terrible game and we looked lost without Lambert's presence and clever play. Connolly had a great chance after 2 minutes after a defensive Gills mess up, but we never seemed to get going after that. Martin had a few sticky moments, but grew in confidence, as did Mills. Lloyd James, however, was terrible I am afraid. Second half and Lambert on, and we are a different side. Papa brought a good edge to the game and we scored. Could have had a couple more, but it wasn't to be. I really felt for the Saints fans getting soaked as my son and I sat under cover.

All in all quite an entertaining game, but one from which Pardew will have learnt much about those who will be staying and those who will leave.

A new, box to box CM is a must, as is a CB. Possibly another CF to take the burden off Lambert.

not sure CB will be his priority with Fonte / Seaborn possibly long term first choice and then Jaidi / Martin (who says was best player on pitch today) / Thomas / Perry as four back ups.

Depends on Thomas / Perry's contracts

not sure CB will be his priority with Fonte / Seaborn possibly long term first choice and then Jaidi / Martin (who says was best player on pitch today) / Thomas / Perry as four back ups.

Depends on Thomas / Perry's contracts

Martin did well, and as I mentioned on the back from the game thread, he grew in confidence. Fonte had a torrid time up against Howe. I just feel we need a brick outhouse to complement Fonte. Jaidi can do that job, but age and injury will increasingly play a role in how often he plays. Connolly was my MOTM.

ok player, not player well since his injury, but we should be able to do better now

Depends what we're recruiting for really, if we're signing a starter no problem, if we're after signing a back up player it might not be so easy. Good players want to play...all of the time.

Martin was brilliant today and on this evidence and Fonte's performance you would have to wonder who was the senior and experienced player. I also like the way Martin was communicating with Ostemboor and one or two others. He was bossing the defence like an old pro. Great stuff young man!

We now have decent cover for Jaidi and Fonte with Martin and Seaborne so I would say we can let Perry and Thomas leave. There is also Lancashire who by all accounts has had a good season at Grimsby. He may not be good enough but I reckon he will get a chance to impress in pre season!

One other mention I will give is to a player who has got stick on here the past few weeks. Ostemboor defended brilliantly on several occasions in the first half. He blocked at least two crosses. He also intercepted a few and got his head on several dangerous balls into the box. On that performance I would offer him a contract but I would still sign someone else as Thomas can leave and James is not good enough.

Of all the away games to make my first ever......

We were shocking first half, which was to be expected though as the training before the game showed that none of them were with it today. Noone could hit the target and you knew how the day was going to go. Ricky Lambert fired a shot which went way over the bar and smashed some poor saints fan in the face. He ran through the crowd to go and say sorry which I thought was pretty cool.

One of the Saints fans made Bialkowski come over to where we were standing and put a floral skirt on whilst having his picture taken, which was funny. He seems like a cool bloke.

Got absolutely soaked whilst the gills fans looked toasty warm in their stands. Its shocking that its allowed really.

Cant quite believe how bad we were but despite that I enjoyed the away experience. Had a good sing and a lot of laughs. The fans definately put in more effort than the players...

Oh and Elvis' pitch invasion at the end was very funny :-D

Edited by Liquidshokk

Another very poor showing from us in the first half, but a marked improvement in the second once Waigo came on. He added a degree of quality to proceedings that helped us to create a few openings. Sadly the damage was done by then. I'm glad Pardew gave Martin, James and Connelly a chance, but we weakened the side and lost as a result.

Davis 5 - not sure if he or Fonte was to blame for the goal, but bloody poor by both might be fair. Caught and punched (a couple weren't great) today but no actual saves.

Semi 5 so casual its not true. One terrible bit of (ballwatching) defending in the first half was instantly recovered by his pace. Where is the determination though? He will frustrate me all next season as well, but his pace will get us out of jail as well. Kept posession pretty well.

Fonte 1 Woeful. Played on the left side and he clearly didn't want to turn out onto hisleft side and because of that he got himself in a mess.

Martin 5 Won some headers (he should win a lot considering the size of him) but very slow on the turn and his positional play is going to need some work. Didn't have the confidence on the ball so passed back to Kelvin when there was no need, at times I wondered if he was good enough for this level. Better teams may run rings round him. Having said that it was his debut so he will improve.

Mills 7 Pretty solid and got stuck in. Not a lot of overlapping but then again we were playing 4-3-3 in the second half so maybe not wise.

Lallana 1 ****e.

Puncheon 7 some good stuff, some not so good.

James (first half 1 second half 6) some very poor passing and was beaten all hands up by their winger showing how poor he is defensively, but he did get better as the game went on and his first touch was decent. Not nearly enough grit in the first half, but much better second. As usual he didn't get to the byeline ever.

Hammond 8 Real desire all game. Gave everything. He has been very good since getting back to full fitness. For a dead rubber game you couldn't ask much more of him.

Connnely 5 He had five chances and scuffed four of them badly. Three in the first half were woeful and showed his lack of sharpness. The same could be said of the 5th chance late on that he should have done so much better with. His touch did get better as the game went on (I'd of though with tiredness it would get worse???) and given two or three games he would be back to his best.

Barnard 7 Gave everything as usual, challenging for every header (winning a few). I love how he runs 30 yards to make arial balls whilst the rest stand and watch. When we moved to three up front he played deep and looked lost. Work rate but is there genuine threat?

Seaborne 6 we looked much tighter at the back when he came on, but they still scored from a set peice. Not sure if he was at fault though. Don't think so.

Waigo 7 great first touch, and got us moving, linking the play very well. Should have shot first time with one chance and the second (even better chance) he seemed to cross when the goal was there to go for.

Lambert 7 won some headers and had one great half volley blocked

Edited by Chez

Not a good game 1/10 for Saints and that was for the goal.

Pointless turn out for a `nothing to play for game`, shame as I was looking forward to us clinching 6th place when I got the ticket and an exciting game.

God knows what the Southend game will be like....bring you blankets and a pillow it may be zzzzzzzzzz

I think we should keep Semi. I wasn't at the game today, but his pace is invaluable IMO. When it comes to defending against a counter attack, I've yet to see any opposing player get the legs on him.

Problem is with him is that he inists on letting an aerial ball bounce before he does anything with it rather than headering it away. He lost the ball at least 4 times today by doing that....

Lloyd James was shocking today. I thought Mills did pretty well and Martin was ok, looks like decent cover for next season. We were a different side second half when Lambert and Papa come on, but it was too little too late.

I think we should keep Semi. I wasn't at the game today, but his pace is invaluable IMO. When it comes to defending against a counter attack, I've yet to see any opposing player get the legs on him.

With any luck we'll be able to find a right-back in the summer who has pace AND can tackle.

Lloyd James was shocking today. I thought Mills did pretty well and Martin was ok, looks like decent cover for next season. We were a different side second half when Lambert and Papa come on, but it was too little too late.

Couldn't agree more to be honest.

I am really annoyed that such a makeshift side was put out after the OS was saying we will carry on playing until the end of the season. Let me know next time and I will go to Marchwood to watch the reserves not spend £46 for open air tickets and £76 on train fares. I thought Davis Semi Fonte Mills Puncheon Connelly and Lallana were dire and James f'ing awful in the first half and just awful in the second. Martin is excused as it was a difficult debut when almost everyone round you is crap. What a joke. Not happy at all. This better not persist next week or Southend will turn us over as well.

Problem is with him is that he inists on letting an aerial ball bounce before he does anything with it rather than headering it away. He lost the ball at least 4 times today by doing that....

Yep I noticed that and I have to say Fonte did it too - always thought it was one of the first rules of defending not to let the ball bounce if you can head it before it does (basic common sense really).

i can understand frustration about team selection but these last two games were an opp to try new systems and players without big game pressure. James had a poor first half but improved in the second. we should not forget the signs of improvement he showed in early part of season before injury. Lacks match sharpness and should be kept as a squad player. Seaborne is also thoroughly improving game by game.

Ostembor got caught out on a number of occasions ball watching, causing panic.

Aaron Martin was very good throughout, and deserves another crack next week...

Lloyd James' performance left a lot to be desired, and Fonte the same.

Elvis' feints and faking did not fool the steward at the end - I think if he had his way Elvis would have been booted into touch following his slip and capture. Man not amused syndrome!

Remember chaps next week.... "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease stay off the pitch" :)

Edited by markr27

Like invictasaint I too live in Kent, and felt for the fans in the uncovered end as I sat in the medway stand (although I did get wet in 2nd half).

A better display from saints in the 2nd half and hopefully Pardew has worked out that Connolly & Barnard can't play together, James isn't a CM (and we need one) and we rely on Rickie's goals too much.

He really isn't.

this isnt a matter for debate, he has no attributes that justify him being a professional. cant pass, head cross or tackle. I would be willing to pay out the remainder of his contrcat to make him leave. he is offensively bad.

this isnt a matter for debate, he has no attributes that justify him being a professional. cant pass, head cross or tackle. I would be willing to pay out the remainder of his contrcat to make him leave. he is offensively bad.

This is all in your opinion, which clearly means it IS a matter for debate.

But I can't be bothered right now anyway, so we might as well say you win.

James, Lallana, Fonte - very poor.

Mills and Hammond played well, while Puncheon was hit and miss as usual.

Barnard hardworking, Connolly got into some good positions but looked a little rusty.

Why oh why did Waigo not shoot near the end, he was clean through and only had to bend it past the keeper back post, but completely bottled it and fluffed a pass to know-one. He didn't even look up, shocking.

bit harsh. He has a decent first touch and composure on the ball. There is still time for him. He had a real mix bad display today, quite a few teribble passes for starters, but out on the right in the second half he offered decent widtch (though never making it to the byeline of course) and kept posession pretty well. But bear in mind its his first start for a long time and its not easy to find your best form straight away. Lallana was much worse today.

Think we need another a big target man - we've been set up to play direct and only get the ball down in the final third.

Neither Connolly nor Barnard provide that outball option- and it showed in the 1st half as nothing stuck or flowed. Not surprisingly,things got better in the 2nd when Lambo came on.

Getting another target man in would also allow us to go with the two big men which might be useful when teams mark the f**k out of Lambo - teams that have done that have typically done well against us this season...

Think we need another a big target man - we've been set up to play direct and only get the ball down in the final third.

Neither Connolly nor Barnard provide that outball option- and it showed in the 1st half as nothing stuck or then flowed. Not surprisingly,things got better in the 2nd when Lambo came on.

Getting another target man in would also allow us to go with the two big men which might be useful when teams mark the f**k out of Lambo - teams that have done that have typically done well against us this season...

Bring back the muffin man.

Barnard 7 Gave everything as usual, challenging for every header (winning a few). I love how he runs 30 yards to make arial balls whilst the rest stand and watch. When we moved to three up front he played deep and looked lost. Work rate but is there genuine threat?

The way i look at it, and the same i would say with england etc, is that you don't need your two strikers to score shedloads, as long as one is dominant in the scoring charts.

He compliments Lambert so well and brings other teams into it, hounds defences and generally puts the fear of god up him.

We had another work horse striker that nobody really rated but he was EASILY the reason that his strike partner got so many goals. That was Brett, Barnard is good for the team IMO and will probbaly get 15-20 goals next season to compliment Lamberts 30.

It's all irrelevant anyway as i think we play better 4-5-1 :rolleyes:

Just got in.

Watched the first 30 minutes then went to queue up for a beer, was dissapointed that they didn't open the bar till half-time.

Had two bottles of sh!t fosters during the break, it started raining so thought fook this and headed back to London town.

Went to Queen Anne in Vauxhall, had a few nipples in my face, was dissapointed with the bird who looked like Trevor McDonald but impressed with the bird from New Zealand and the Scottish one.

That's the review of my day. Tidy

Just got in.

Watched the first 30 minutes then went to queue up for a beer, was dissapointed that they didn't open the bar till half-time.

Had two bottles of sh!t fosters during the break, it started raining so thought fook this and headed back to London town.

Went to Queen Anne in Vauxhall, had a few nipples in my face, was dissapointed with the bird who looked like Trevor McDonald but impressed with the bird from New Zealand and the Scottish one.

That's the review of my day. Tidy

Wow. You're an uber fan alright.

I hope Pardew found a few answers today but if he hasn't I have come up with a few that needs attention if we are going to "romp away" with the title next year.

James is simply not good enough, Davis still does not command his 6 yard box for crosses, Fonte can't play on the left, Connolly and Barnard upfront together does not work, Puncheon plays better out wide cutting in, Semi sometimes enters a world of his own, Hammond is over-rated and Lallana is inconsistent - he was dire today.

On the plus side, Mills is good back up and I thought Martin had a steady afternoon. The view from the back of the away stand was good but don't look down between the cracks in the scaffolding and they could have at least provided plastic macs - everyone got soaked. Watching Saints play like planks in the pouring rain was not my idea of fun.

I hope Pardew found a few answers today but if he hasn't I have come up with a few that needs attention if we are going to "romp away" with the title next year.

James is simply not good enough, Davis still does not command his 6 yard box for crosses, Fonte can't play on the left, Connolly and Barnard upfront together does not work, Puncheon plays better out wide cutting in, Semi sometimes enters a world of his own, Hammond is over-rated and Lallana is inconsistent - he was dire today.

On the plus side, Mills is good back up and I thought Martin had a steady afternoon. The view from the back of the away stand was good but don't look down between the cracks in the scaffolding and they could have at least provided plastic macs - everyone got soaked. Watching Saints play like planks in the pouring rain was not my idea of fun.

But stood in vain waiting for the train door to open was a priceless moment. :D