Gigs 2010

Smirking_Saint

Couldn't find one, found the 2009 one.

Anywho,

Anyone been to any quality gigs this year yet or have some booked ????

Have paul weller Monday night at the Royal Albert hall, then again at the BIC and then again at Carisbrook castle.

Was gutted to miss out on Florence + the machine in Wolverhampton the other day mind :(

Lack of funds has seriously hampered my gig going in recent years,used to do at least 2 a month. I'm seeing Taylor Hawkins and his band at The Brook in a couple of weeks. After that there's Green Day at Wembley next month, then heading to Ireland in July for the Oxegen festival and then back to Wembley in September for Muse.

muse, sept 10th, wembley

I am gutted about this again.

Missed out the last time, then bought tickets for this date, only for the misses' brother to announce he is getting married on the 10th, selfish b*stard :D

Oh well, there will be another

Hoping the Libertines tour soon.

In the past I'd have been to 3 or 4 gigs a month. Sadly the lack of funds and ever increasing ticket prices have made me be a bit more picky about who I go and see.

So far this year I've seen....

Midlake

Mumford & Sons

Josh Rouse

Half Man Half Biscuit

Cherry Ghost

Doves

And I'm going to see...

Crowded House

Goldie Lookin' Chain

Band Of Horses

Mumford & Sons

Doves

Paul McCartney

V Festival - Stafford

Sting & The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

I am gutted about this again.

Missed out the last time, then bought tickets for this date, only for the misses' brother to announce he is getting married on the 10th, selfish b*stard :D

Oh well, there will be another

Hoping the Libertines tour soon.

Can you not get Muse tickets for the 11th instead? They announced the support for the UK tour yesterday,Lily Allen is supporting on the 10th with Biffy Clyro and White Lies on the 11th.

I saw Neil Innes (of Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, Monty Python, Rutles, Rutland Weekend Television fame) at Hugh's Room in Toronto a month ago. Excellent concert (solo performance).

Neil Innes is great,

Is The Hawk still going strong in Canada, or has he hung up his rock and roll shoes?

Been a tad quiet on the gigs front for me last 2 years since my little girl was born. Used to do a few gigs a week either watching some big names or whatever tripe was down the Joiners (must say have found some gems by just popping down there on random nights). I did catch Biffy Clyro down P*mpey few weeks back, they were well on form.

Not a gig as such but I also went to see Derran Brown at Wimbledon Theatre couple of weeks back... I urge anybody to go see him live because he really is a class act on stage.

• 2 months later...

Bizarrely I've seen the acts mentioned in the 1st 3 posts out here in Dubai over the last year or so .....

Paul Weller was absolutely brilliant and the best of the 3. Muse and Motorhead were still very good though. Also saw The Killers who were pretty good but being in a gig with 20000 others, queueing up 30 mins for a beer and being miles away from the stage loses something for me.

Suprise of the year for me was Spandau Ballet (supporting Rod Stewart). Wasn't expecting much but have to say they were very very good indeed. Rod on the otherhand was not up to scratch, but watching his female sax player insert her instrument and blow it sure made up for it!!!

Top of the bunch by far, so far were The Subways, in a small (250/300 capacity) nightclub. They were simply awesome, and only being touching distance from the band instead of needing a telescope to see them was a big bonus!!

The Subways are great live, must've been really good to see them in such a small venue as well. I saw Dan Le Sac w/ Scroobius Pip at a club in Reading last week, they were really good. Got the crowd going in a pretty small venue (about 200-300). The best bit was the DJ set before they came on though, those guys will have arthritis in the future but for now they remain amazing DJs! Can't for the life of me remember their stage name though...

Went to The Libertines Reunion show last night.

Was absolutely amazing, struggle to think of a gig I have been to that tops that!

They sounded surprisingly good, and seemed impressively coherent!

More importantly though, what was the chemistry like between Pete and Carl? The better they get on, the more chance of a nationwide tour and, who knows, a third album...

from the jam are playing at fleming park on the 20th of nov(obviosly no weller but i think they are still amaizing without him,you can see videos of them on the "from the jam" website") has anyone seen them live without weller? have heard nothing but good things

from the jam are playing at fleming park on the 20th of nov(obviosly no weller but i think they are still amaizing without him,you can see videos of them on the "from the jam" website") has anyone seen them live without weller? have heard nothing but good things

Weller made them though IMO, and he is even more impressive on his own, just look at his heavy soul album (although he has gone a bit sh*t with his last two offerings) i still may get down and have a watch though, i do like the jam.

'Butterfly collectoooors'

Bizarrely I've seen the acts mentioned in the 1st 3 posts out here in Dubai over the last year or so .....

Paul Weller was absolutely brilliant and the best of the 3. Muse and Motorhead were still very good though. Also saw The Killers who were pretty good but being in a gig with 20000 others, queueing up 30 mins for a beer and being miles away from the stage loses something for me.

Suprise of the year for me was Spandau Ballet (supporting Rod Stewart). Wasn't expecting much but have to say they were very very good indeed. Rod on the otherhand was not up to scratch, but watching his female sax player insert her instrument and blow it sure made up for it!!!

Top of the bunch by far, so far were The Subways, in a small (250/300 capacity) nightclub. They were simply awesome, and only being touching distance from the band instead of needing a telescope to see them was a big bonus!!

Muse were stunning when they were here. Nice lads as well and yep I blagged an on stage pass and was at the back of the stage filming their encore (Philtheblag they call me down here). Strangely we had no probs getting beer from the VIP tent Eric :-)

Got to agree about Spandau though absolutely superb, slightly edgier sound than the originals and I'm with Eric - we went to see Rod who was really good but Spandau's just rocked.

And The Subways - how ridiculous, me & Eric in a tiny 250 person venue surrounded by my youngest son's mates all going WTF are you doing here? And the band were really nice guys after in the bar. (Think Eric may not remember that part - I blame the Magners, he won the tickets in the VIP section on the radio & I blagged my way in with him)

The Killers were great, we were about 7 rows back (yep old farts in the Mosh Pit) and as future son-in-law said - was like watching them in your front room

Missed out on Nickleback that many still rave about.

Overall not as good a year for live bands here compared to last year, having seen Kings of Leon, Kylie, Queen & Paul Young & Coldplay here and Glasto over there don't think it could ever be beaten, not with the recession and all that...

But our favourite gig is still

The Band in The Seaview. Ramadan will soon be over woo hoo!

G'n'R,October 14th,extra date added, 02 London.

I now await the Axl Rose bashing and the 'they are not as good as they used to be' stuff.

They are a completely different entity,they go under the same name but should not be compared with the G'N'R of the past.

Thought Chinese Democracy was a damn fine album.

Opinions, I know, but Chinese Democracy was the biggest pile of sh!t i've ever heard.

Correct, it is all about opinions.

If we were all the same what a boring world we would live in.

I trust you won't tune in too BBC3 tonight for the Reading highlights/live then.

Edited by saint lard

This year I've seen;

Black Spiders

65Days of Static

Terrorvision

Gary Numan

Alice Cooper

Anthrax

Rammstein

Skunk Anansie

Fear Factory

Soulfly

Apocolyptica

Therepy?

Tim Minchin

Maleface

Earthtone 9

Karnivool

Skindred

Slayer

Alice In Chains

Pendulum

80 Matchbox B-Line Disaster

Iron Maiden

Karnivool again

Beardyman

Stevie Wonder

Faithless

Jack Johnson

Ray Davies

Slash

Muse

Seasick Steve

Gorillaz

Coheed and Cambria

Reef

Rolf Harris

Lots of others but I can't be bothered to type them all.

Oh, and Grandmasterflash

I'm going to see

Karnivool twice

The Defiled

Helmet

Correct, it is all about opinions.

If we were all the same what a boring world we would live in.

I trust you won't tune in too BBC3 tonight for the Reading highlights/live then.

I'm tuning in, need to check what the site looks like as i'm going tomorrow + i'll probably watch what they show of Biffy Clyro, Billy Talent and Phoenix.

Tomorrow is going to be amazing, even if Reading is incredibly sh!t.

More importantly though, what was the chemistry like between Pete and Carl? The better they get on, the more chance of a nationwide tour and, who knows, a third album...

On the night it was hard top judge. There was little in the way of talking in between songs. In fact, none whatsoever until just before the final track of the encore.

It was as you would expect, fits very well into the Libertines story. Pete is clearly a man besotted, in awe of Carl. He appears to make constant overtures in an attempt to impress his friend.

On Wednesday this all seemed to go well, both played with smiles and there was plenty of the usual microphone sharing and facing each other to play guitar.

However. I've just got back from Leeds Festival, where I had a day ticket and saw The Libertines again.

Frankly, they bottled it. Perhaps unexpectedly, Festivals were never a strong suit of The Libertines, where as The Forum is a Venue that holds good memories of them.

There was clear tension between Pete and Carl. Started when Pete hit (not overly hard, but enough to distract Carl momentarily) guitar against Carl's during song. Later they were having a 'chat' that looked more like Pete getting a telling off, which caused Gary to leap up and attempt to intervene whilst John's face was one clearly of frustration and reservation.

Several unpleasant looks were exchanged between Pete and Carl during the show, exacerbated by Pete choosing not to sing some of his lines and nodding to Carl to do so for him - often when Carl had his backed turned or was not by a microphone.

Even whilst both sharing a mic, it appeared as though they were physically wrestling to be heard.

Genuinely did not think they would make it through a whole set. I'd be surprised if they make it through their set at Reading, let alone a whole tour or recording a new album.

• 2 weeks later...