Transfer Activity

alpine_saint

There is a difference, this is a cardiff city that is pushing for the premiership.

We're a club that are 2 divisions below the premiership. We will only be able to attract mid-championship players at the moment. If we were pushing for promotion in the championship, you never know.

I do vaguely agree with you there but its an interesting one.He probs has clubs like Fulham ahead of us in his head as he's been there on loan before and was manged by Mark Hughes at City, but would he be allowed to go there? One things for sure, I wouldn't want to be in his position right now!

I havent ignored it. I dont agree with it, so dont think it is an issue.

Your post is a load of rubbish which demonstrates to me you arent all that serious about promotion. Same old lack of ambition garbage.

Oh right. Brilliant. Is that the end of the debate then? I'll be sure to do it again sometime as it was so thrilling.

Fantastic reply. Don't fancy telling me where my post is a load of rubbish or anything...

If only everyone else would just claim something is not an issue when they don't agree with it. Your posts wouldn't get any reply what so ever if everyone did. You don't have a well thought out reply to my post so instead you just claim its a load of rubbish and put a sly little dig or two in there for good measure....Which oh wait, is something you've bleated on about on here for god knows how long because everyone seems to do it to you when they apparently don't agree with you...

Well done you utter mong.

Oh right. Brilliant. Is that the end of the debate then? I'll be sure to do it again sometime as it was so thrilling.

Fantastic reply. Don't fancy telling me where my post is a load of rubbish or anything...

If only everyone else would just claim something is not an issue when they don't agree with it. Your posts wouldn't get any reply what so ever if everyone did. You don't have a well thought out reply to my post so instead you just claim its a load of rubbish and put a sly little dig or two in there for good measure....Which oh wait, is something you've bleated on about on here for god knows how long because everyone seems to do it to you when they apparently don't agree with you...

Well done you utter mong.

What a complete hypocrite.

Doddisalegend's first point proved the assetion I made, but you just glossed over that to attack me on the second point he made which was in contradiction to what I said (and therefore his first point).

Lecture me about how I respond to peoples posts when you have got your own house in order.

His next point proves everyone else's point and you have ignored it. Finding a player willing to be Lamberts back up for a season, and lets be honest that's all a back up will be there for because we'll have to improve the squad more if we get promoted therefore demoting this backup player to nothing, is pretty hard to find.

That also doesn't make much sense on a business level. Getting a player to come in and paying him to sit on the bench in the hope Lambert gets injured is pretty much wasting money.

Personally, I don't give a hoot about Lambert and I'd want us to get someone good enough to challenge him. However that will only come when we go up the leagues. I imagine any "backup" will be either an old pro on a 1 year contract or a loan signing. Both of which could only become available in late stages of the window where they start to realise they are not going to get a contract to play first team football anywhere or be involved in there current teams first team plans.

A back up striker is no where near priority. We need some wingers though and having no idea what attempts we have made in that sense i'm not going to criticise but I wont defend either. Maybe there is something in the rumours about Cortese/Reed/Pardew and chief scout all having to agree on a signing for it to happen, maybe we have tried signing Antonio and the price is well over the top and we are hoping they drop there demands and therefore playing a waiting game...who knows. Certainly not me, and certainly not you either.

I agree that it would be perfect if we could sign a player like Lambert to not only be a backup, but to be competition for him as well! Have you got anyone in mind? Brett Pitman maybe?

While I agree that with do need at least 1 winger with some real pace, I feel that without Lambert in the team, there isn't much point in having quick wingers who can cross in the air if we only have Barnard (5ft 10in) and Connolly (5ft 9in) in the middle! If Rickie was in the team against Plymouth, he would have scored at least 1 headed goal from a cross in the 1st half!

IMO we need 1 CM (hopefully 2!), 1 quick winger (hopefully 2!) and a tall striker in the same mould as Rickie who is over 6ft tall!

I take the point that some have made that we have spent a lot of money and we have a good squad with a very good starting 11 and should we get promoted we will need to spend again.

However I believe we still need 3 players for this season I dont mind if they are loans the loans we had last year worked well but to contend with injuries suspensions ect we need a centre midfielder a big centre forward and a wide player with some pace the sooner we get these players in the better

100% correct! If we can get a tall striker who has some pace as well, all the better!

I want Pitman, Antonio and a CM who I haven't decided on yet.We would then be perfect IMO.

Rewind 12 months and "we would be perfect" if we could just sign Jaidi....then it was "we just need one more CM" so we signed Hammond.......we will forever be perfect 'If'

It just goes on and on and on and on and on.

BadgerBadger is right what he says "lack of signings isn't the real issue, AP's ability to make the best of his squad is"

If Lampard, Drogba, Fabregas or Torres suffered a season-ending injury at this stage, their respective clubs would go out and pay big money for someone.

true, and guess we would do the same if one of our "stars" was out for the season - but they aren't.

Still think we should/will strengthen as back up but not sure of your point?

Rewind 12 months and "we would be perfect" if we could just sign Jaidi....then it was "we just need one more CM" so we signed Hammond.......we will forever be perfect 'If'

BadgerBadger is right what he says "lack of signings isn't the real issue, AP's ability to make the best of his squad is"

did we miss out on promotion this season?

Perhaps there isn't a "real issue" and Pardew will get the side performing as well as he did last season and we will get promoted?

Nobody ever said those things, everyone knew 12 months ago that we were nowhere near the finished article.

IF, this is the squad we have for the rest of the season....

then we will struggle with top 2 IMO

I'm sad to say I agree :(

We're sooo close though to being a great football team. We're just lacking that cutting edge and togetherness we so desperately need. This is why I've been saying I wish we had all our signings in place at the start of pre-season, so they have time to form a team out of a group of players.

We're sooo close though to being a great football team. We're just lacking that cutting edge and togetherness we so desperately need. This is why I've been saying I wish we had all our signings in place at the start of pre-season, so they have time to form a team out of a group of players.

yeah...spot IMO

I think we got lucky that our key players were fit for pretty much all season....lambert missed almost 0 games...lallana was ever present..etc etc...already this season, lallana is got a suspect knee and although lambert is now fit..we would be extremely lucky if he misses no more games this season

I have never said that :?

I think we still need 3 players before we have a "perfect" squad - but then how many clubs actually do have perfect squads?

I think 20 other clubs in L1 would look at our squad and think "perfect"

Not you though....you always want "one more" or "three more" now.....youre getting greedy!!

Not you though....you always want "one more" or "three more" now.....youre getting greedy!!

we probably need to spend more money than anyone ever to get out of league 1.....millwall did it on a sixpence

No point in even trying to debate with a troll to be honest. Wonder how long the mods are gonna let you carry on being such a tw*t?

we probably need to spend more money than anyone ever to get out of league 1.....millwall did it on a sixpence

Look at the teams promoted last 5 years.....we have already spent more than all of them. Leeds, Norwich, Millwall last season....we spent more than them combined!!

Saint"one more"Clark as he is known by many says we should spend more.........

This. Very much this....

We really need cover for Rickie, especially after seeing the state he was in last night in Soton! In all seriousness, when he get's a knock I think we will struggle majorly so need somebody who can do a similar job to him. Yes it will be hard to bring someone of the same quality as they aren't going to want to sit on the bench week in, week out, but somebody is definitley required. Perhaps a loan?

Those big clubs have enough squad depth to handle the loss of those players for very short periods; if it looks like it is going to be longer, they will buy.

We have no squad depth, so if we lose Rickie short- or long-term, it will cost us big time. So it is better to get back-up now.

Sorry that is such a complex concept for you to get your brain around. Or is it just willfull pathetic foot-stamping because I wont say "this squad is gonna win League 1 as it is" ?

Any news on this player that is out for the season yet? Or is it still not worth discussing stuff with me?

You keep banging on about strength in depth and how these massive clubs have superstars sitting around doing nothing in case injuries happen, but lets look at these big clubs squad players - is Ngog as good as Torres? Is Bentedner as good as Van Persie? Is Kalou as good as Drogba? Is Macheda as good as Rooney? I bet there isn't a div on 'Kop Talk' berating Benitez/Hodgson/the yanks for not signing David Villa as cover for Torres just in case he gets another injury. Get real you div.

Edited by Turkish

We dont need cover for Lambert as he is not injured. If (if, if) he does get injured then Connolly and Barnard should be good enough to cover.......these are two quality forwards.

There are not many players that could come in sporadically and cover for Lambert......he is unique and probably far, far to good for L1.

If Lambert was to get injured perhaps AP needs to adapt to accomadate the different styles of Connolly and Barnard? Thats his job right? Getting the most from what you have?

How many clubs have like for like replacements??? Good managers can adapt..........

We dont need cover for Lambert as he is not injured. If (if, if) he does get injured then Connolly and Barnard should be good enough to cover.......these are two quality forwards.

There are not many players that could come in sporadically and cover for Lambert......he is unique and probably far, far to good for L1.

If Lambert was to get injured perhaps AP needs to adapt to accomadate the different styles of Connolly and Barnard? Thats his job right? Getting the most from what you have?

How many clubs have like for like replacements??? Good managers can adapt..........

I agree, we have 3 very, very, very good strikers for this division and we should be able to adapt tactics as these two should be good enough for the L1 defences, Barnard proved that at Southend and Connolly is a class act here. Its Pardews job to come up with a plan B if RL is not available.

Any news on this player that is out for the season yet? Or is it still not worth discussing stuff with me?

You keep banging on about strength in depth and how these massive clubs have superstars sitting around doing nothing in case injuries happen, but lets look at these big clubs squad players - is Ngog as good as Torres? Is Bentedner as good as Van Persie? Is Kalou as good as Drogba? Is Macheda as good as Rooney? I bet there isn't a div on 'Kop Talk' berating Benitez/Hodgson/the yanks for not signing David Villa as cover for Torres just in case he gets another injury. Get real you div.

Mental. Why does a back-up player have to be "as good" as the player he is backing up ?

How can he be a back-up player then ? :rolleyes:

They showed against Plymouth that they cannot play with each other.

Mental. Why does a back-up player have to be "as good" as the player he is backing up ?

How can he be a back-up player then ? :rolleyes:

Mental. so what point are you trying to make when you said if Drogba etc gets injured Chelsea etc would spend big for a replacement and we should do that now, in case Lambert gets injured? What point are you making when saying we dont have strengh in depth because we haven't spent big incase Lambert gets injured? This amazing strength in depth all this big clubs have is listed in my post above. None of the players are as good as considered first choice in that position, yet these clubs are not signing superstars incase players get injured, so why would we?

Anyway, who is this player that is out for the season? You still haven't told me.

A lone striker most of the time, although alex revell may have played with him when he was there

That would work for us, 5 across the middle with him top alone, provided all of the five midfielders and Barnard aren't injured of course, as we haven't signed back up incase the whole squad is injured.

the Plymouth game did highlight a few weaker areas

Rather more than a few I'm afraid.

Very little hope now of new permanent signings, in my view, after the sad events of the past two weeks even the future direction of our club must be open to question. Whatever assurances to the contrary have been given by "spokespersons' for the Liebherr family, the reality is that we are now under new ownership; the passion that Marcus brought with him that would have guaranteed funds to buy as and when necessary may not be shared by his inheritors.

OK, so they might not pull the rug from under Nicola Cortese but Marcus was his mentor and that vital link has gone. Nicola may now be very much on his own as far as financing the club is concerned which means he only spends what he earns.

Mental. so what point are you trying to make when you said if Drogba etc gets injured Chelsea etc would spend big for a replacement and we should do that now, in case Lambert gets injured? What point are you making when saying we dont have strengh in depth because we haven't spent big incase Lambert gets injured? This amazing strength in depth all this big clubs have is listed in my post above. None of the players are as good as considered first choice in that position, yet these clubs are not signing superstars incase players get injured, so why would we?

Anyway, who is this player that is out for the season? You still haven't told me.

Nope still struggling, I see. Of course a back-up player isnt as good as the first choice player - is that really so difficult for you to follow ?

That does NOT mean teams arent getting in cover.

This season is only 2 games long and we have already demonstrated that we will struggle without Lambert. Therefore it is prudent to do what we can to find cover for him in case of injury or suspension. Its cover, aimed at being as good as possible so overall team performance hardly drops, FFS, not a bloody clone.

Jesus, it aint rocket science.

did Barnard play with big man, lone striker or with another smaller forward when scoring for southend?

A lone striker most of the time, although alex revell may have played with him when he was there

forward would not be a must have signing for me. CM would be my first priority and then winger, maybe even CB.

but this squad should be good enough.....

Nope still struggling, I see. Of course a back-up player isnt as good as the first choice player - is that really so difficult for you to follow ?

This season is only 2 games long and we have already demonstrated that we will struggle without Lambert. Therefore it is prudent to do what we can to find cover for him in case of injury or suspension. Its cover, aimed at being as good as possible so overall team performance hardly drops, FFS, not a bloody clone.

We struggled (well lost one game we were well on top of - but defeat it defeat) due to

no Lambert

no Lallana

Schneiderlin playing with injury

Puncheon not fully fit.

That is pretty unlikely to occur again and if it does we may well lose another game.

We struggled (well lost one game we were well on top of - but defeat it defeat) due to

no Lambert

no Lallana

Puncheon not fully fit.

That is pretty unlikely to occur again and if it does we may well lose another game.

So, you are now trying to claim that our first team is so good it wont lose ?

Oooookaaaay.... :rolleyes:

What i am struggling to understand is who this season long injury you said we had is, this is how this discussion between us started, is it not? So who is it? Do tell.

no Lambert

no Lallana

Puncheon not fully fit.

If only we had guessed that they wouldn't be fit for one game during the summer and signed suitable back up......

But wait, what if they get injured too??? We need back up incase the back up becomes injured.