Transfer Activity

alpine_saint

Lets be honest for a minute.....if you were NC would you really sanction MORE spending? AP has signed 13/14 players in the last 12 months while NC has also allowed him to keep the crop of the side he inherited. I know if I were NC I would be asking to see results/performances from the investment to date before agreeing more additions.

Good job you're not running our club then , you'd make Pardew crawl on the floor for spare change to sign players.

I don't really understand the aimed animosity towards alpine on here.

TBF, his first post on this subject a few weeks ago was a little premature, however right now i am beginning to get a little worried (and very bored). This isn't helped by the fact that we don't know whether or not the club has been in for some of the bigger transfer targets and better transfer targets, such as Eaves and Vokes for example.

It is obvious we need a like for like back up for Rickie, and another CM to provide competition. Perhaps we also could do with a new wide man, i can see that, but for me it is not desperate.

I also agree with Glasgow, i can fully understand why NC would have been p*ssed off at the end of last season, i can see Pardew isn't the god everyone believes he is and IMO could have made the playoffs without some poor tactical decisions last year. This added to the fact that he asked NC for more funds last season and failed in his targets. But i do think NC still has a bit more to spend.

If we sign the RIGHT players all will be forgiven, but after all this waiting i will be dissapointed if it turns out to be a league 1 standard fill in player as apposed to the quality replacements pardew has said we are waiting for.

Thing is however, if Pardew fails in promotion with this squad, this club and the war chest he has had then it is a complete failure and a terrible terrible performance.

We've got rid of a lot of very ordinary players, in my opinion. We have had to buy a completely new team.

We have signed a whole new team and kept some very very very good L1 players.......

In 12 months we have signed -

Frazer Richardson

Jose Fonte

Aaron Martin

Dan Harding

Danny Butterfield

Ryan Dickson

Radhi Jaidi

Danny Seaborne

Dean Hammond

Jason Puncheon

Lee Barnard

David Connolly

Rickie Lambert

Add them to those already at club -

Kelvin Davis

Bartosz Bialkowski

Joseph Mills

Paul Wotton

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Lee Holmes

Morgan Schneiderlin

Adam Lallana

Thats quite a formidable L1 squad......but we want more??? I think NC would be entitled to say enoughs enough.......show me what you can do with this squad before I allow you to spend even more.

We have signed a whole new team and kept some very very very good L1 players.......

In 12 months we have signed -

Frazer Richardson

Jose Fonte

Aaron Martin

Dan Harding

Danny Butterfield

Ryan Dickson

Radhi Jaidi

Danny Seaborne

Dean Hammond

Jason Puncheon

Lee Barnard

David Connolly

Rickie Lambert

Add them to those already at club -

Kelvin Davis

Bartosz Bialkowski

Joseph Mills

Paul Wotton

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Lee Holmes

Morgan Schneiderlin

Adam Lallana

Thats quite a formidable L1 squad......but we want more??? I think NC would be entitled to say enoughs enough.......show me what you can do with this squad before I allow you to spend even more.

I can't believe I'm saying this but you have a point. Thats why I think we're looking at loans. I think our best eleven is the best in the league it's when the first eleven aren't all avaliable we'll be in trouble good quaility loans like Papa and Antonio last season would sort us out.

Since relegation from the Premiership we have gone through more players than I have had arguements on here with Alps! :)

We have gotten very used to a spinning door mentality (and with managers).

At some point it will stop but I agree with most that we are probably at least 2 short of the squad needed to challenge all season long.

Sorry guys but i felt like i needed to add my two pennies worth. I definitely see your point Glasgow, however we were left with a wreckage of a squad through 24 months of mis-management and relegation. Personally i think Lowe made some terrible signings on purpose as an up yours gesture to the fans.

I mean who would sanction a signing of a player like Pulis???who has played about 12 games in his less than glamourous career?? the guy was probably on 4k a week and has cost the club in the region of 300k on his wages alone. Add players like Molyneux, Wotton and youth players we had like Lancashire and that squad would of been relegated from League 1 let alone the Championship.

Pards had to spend, it just goes to show that even after bringing in all those players we are still not quite strong enough to win it out right. Now i see your point, go out there with what you got and prove yourself....however staying in this league is damaging for NC and Saints as a business. The quicker we get to the prem the quicker the club gets to being more commercially viable and self sufficient. So why not spend the money now while the wages are relatively low and transfer fees low???

Add to the fact, any one can see we are at least 3 players short. Centre mid would be a huge worry if any of the starting boys got injured as frankly Wotton should of been got rid of. Pace is also lacking and is there for all to see.

Im sure the players will come, they would not leave numbers 8 and 11 vacant for nothing....

Sorry guys but i felt like i needed to add my two pennies worth. I definitely see your point Glasgow, however we were left with a wreckage of a squad through 24 months of mis-management and relegation. Personally i think Lowe made some terrible signings on purpose as an up yours gesture to the fans.

I mean who would sanction a signing of a player like Pulis???who has played about 12 games in his less than glamourous career?? the guy was probably on 4k a week and has cost the club in the region of 300k on his wages alone. Add players like Molyneux, Wotton and youth players we had like Lancashire and that squad would of been relegated from League 1 let alone the Championship.

Pards had to spend, it just goes to show that even after bringing in all those players we are still not quite strong enough to win it out right. Now i see your point, go out there with what you got and prove yourself....however staying in this league is damaging for NC and Saints as a business. The quicker we get to the prem the quicker the club gets to being more commercially viable and self sufficient. So why not spend the money now while the wages are relatively low and transfer fees low???

Add to the fact, any one can see we are at least 3 players short. Centre mid would be a huge worry if any of the starting boys got injured as frankly Wotton should of been got rid of. Pace is also lacking and is there for all to see.

Im sure the players will come, they would not leave numbers 8 and 11 vacant for nothing....

Some good points but why buy and not loan? We've spent a fortune at this level maybe there isn't anymore money in the pot? two of our best players last season were loans and they did very well for us whats to say we can't a couple of good loans in this season to beef up the squad?

I would love some more signing – don’t get me wrong, its just the feeling I have with NC…..I feel he will now insist and probably deserves to see some positive movements from the investment so far and may hesitate to add more until AP convinces him he can deliver?

Sure a couple of additions would make us stronger – that’s a given. Add two quality players to any squad and the squad gets stronger…..but from NC’s perspective when is enough enough?

We already have 2 quality GKs, 7 or 8 quality DFs, 7 or 8 very good MFs and 3 very very good Fwds……..how much back up do we need? How many other L1 sides have this luxury? Most L1 side (if lucky) have one very good player – not 11 or 12.

Fo sho I would welcome a new exciting pacey winger that destroys L1 defences week in week out – BUT I also feel that what we have already SHOULD be enough. If its not then AP probably needs to explain why!

No, there are some new signings due soon. When I don't know as I have just made it up, but they are coming. NC has decided that Pardew needs more players, my source at Saints didn't tell me as I don't have one, so is allowing him more freedom to purchase more players. The type of players he is going for are the sort that wouldn't play in League 1 and also some foreign purchases of the sort of players that wouldn't want to move country.

in other news my sources tell me a bear is catholic and the pope s*its in the woods

I would love some more signing – don’t get me wrong, its just the feeling I have with NC…..I feel he will now insist and probably deserves to see some positive movements from the investment so far and may hesitate to add more until AP convinces him he can deliver?

Sure a couple of additions would make us stronger – that’s a given. Add two quality players to any squad and the squad gets stronger…..but from NC’s perspective when is enough enough?

We already have 2 quality GKs, 7 or 8 quality DFs, 7 or 8 very good MFs and 3 very very good Fwds……..how much back up do we need? How many other L1 sides have this luxury? Most L1 side (if lucky) have one very good player – not 11 or 12.

Fo sho I would welcome a new exciting pacey winger that destroys L1 defences week in week out – BUT I also feel that what we have already SHOULD be enough. If its not then AP probably needs to explain why!

Spot on mate, people banging on about quality back up for Lambert and Schniderlin but these guys are two of our 5 key players. Chelsea without Drogba and Lampard, Arsenal without Fabregas and Van Perise, Liverpool with no Gerrard and Torres, all significantly weaker, i bet the Man Utd forums are not rife with people whinging that their back up striker to Rooney is not as good. Like you say, i'd welcome 2 or 3 new signings, but we already should have enough to win this league.

Spot on mate, people banging on about quality back up for Lambert and Schniderlin but these guys are two of our 5 key players. Chelsea without Drogba and Lampard, Arsenal without Fabregas and Van Perise, Liverpool with no Gerrard and Torres, all significantly weaker, i bet the Man Utd forums are not rife with people whinging that their back up striker to Rooney is not as good. Like you say, i'd welcome 2 or 3 new signings, but we already should have enough to win this league.

I think everybody accepts that we will always be weaker without Lambert. What people are hoping for is a backup player which minimises that weakness.

If Lampard, Drogba, Fabregas or Torres suffered a season-ending injury at this stage, their respective clubs would go out and pay big money for someone.

Yep, you prove again there isnt much point discussing these matters with you.

who has had a season ending injury? Or did i imagine reading this this morning? Minus Frazer Richardson obviously...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/8337242.Saints_set_to_be_at_full_strength_for_Orient_visit/

So who is this mystery season long injury victim? or are you proving again there isn't much point discussing these matters with you?

Edited by Turkish

what the heck are you on about now.

Those big clubs have enough squad depth to handle the loss of those players for very short periods; if it looks like it is going to be longer, they will buy.

We have no squad depth, so if we lose Rickie short- or long-term, it will cost us big time. So it is better to get back-up now.

Sorry that is such a complex concept for you to get your brain around. Or is it just willfull pathetic foot-stamping because I wont say "this squad is gonna win League 1 as it is" ?

Those big clubs have enough squad depth to handle the loss of those players for very short periods; if it looks like it is going to be longer, they will buy.

We have no squad depth, so if we lose Rickie short- or long-term, it will cost us big time. So it is better to get back-up now.

Sorry that is such a complex concept for you to get your brain around. Or is it just willfull pathetic foot-stamping because I wont say "this squad is gonna win League 1 as it is" ?

The fate of Liverpool last season suggests that might not be true, they suffered injuries to both Torres and Gerrad for a big part of last season and didn't bring in any big name replacements hence their poor showing (by there standards last season).

The problem is where are these top quaility replacements for our best players going to come from, which decent players are going to come here to sit on there arses playing understudy to RL. I would suggest any player who is happy with that isn't the sort of player we want.

I don't agree with that - even without 4 of our top players we still have a very good L1 team, It's up to AP to box accordingly and show his worth

The fate of Liverpool last season suggests that might not be true, they suffered injuries to both Torres and Gerrad for a big part of last season and didn't bring in any big name replacements hence their poor showing (by there standards last season).

The problem is where are these top quaility replacements for our best players going to come from, which decent players are going to come here to sit on there arses playing understudy to RL. I would suggest any player who is happy with that isn't the sort of player we want.

I think you actually just proved my point.

I actually think Pardew is a poor manager tactically. Poyet has really impressed me, not just with his signings but with his tactics in a game. I think our problem is not the quality of our squad and backups, but learning to adapt when we have injuries etc.

Whilst I am not qualified to write about A.P. and his tactics, I would have to agree with you about Poyet, it does seem to be a manager that can achieve results with out a large cheque book; as I have written before, ask any Leeds fan, and they will tell you that it was him and not Wise that got them close to promotion after a 15 point reduction. Should A.P. and Saints part company then he would be my first choice, with out any doubts.

Bizarre.

Our four best players are Lallana, Lambert, Fonte and Schneiderlin. With everyone fit would leave us a team of

Davis

Richardson Jaidi Seaborne Harding

Puncheon Butterfield Hammond Dickson

Connoly Barnard

Oxlade-Chamberlin

Bialkowski

Martin

Holmes

Wotton

Which whilst slightly weak in the middle, is still better than most teams in this league IMO. I'll say again, I think it is Pardew's tactics which give us some disappointing results and not the ability of the players themselves.

Whilst I am not qualified to write about A.P. and his tactics, I would have to agree with you about Poyet, it does seem to be a manager that can achieve results with out a large cheque book; as I have written before, ask any Leeds fan, and they will tell you that it was him and not Wise that got them close to promotion after a 15 point reduction. Should A.P. and Saints part company then he would be my first choice, with out any doubts.

That's why a manager like him has the most respect from me. Hodgson, Poyet, Hiddink. All proper manager who don't spend a lot but get success through their own talent alone. Give me one of them over the stupid amounts spent by Redknapp any day.

I think you actually just proved my point.

His next point proves everyone else's point and you have ignored it. Finding a player willing to be Lamberts back up for a season, and lets be honest that's all a back up will be there for because we'll have to improve the squad more if we get promoted therefore demoting this backup player to nothing, is pretty hard to find.

That also doesn't make much sense on a business level. Getting a player to come in and paying him to sit on the bench in the hope Lambert gets injured is pretty much wasting money.

Personally, I don't give a hoot about Lambert and I'd want us to get someone good enough to challenge him. However that will only come when we go up the leagues. I imagine any "backup" will be either an old pro on a 1 year contract or a loan signing. Both of which could only become available in late stages of the window where they start to realise they are not going to get a contract to play first team football anywhere or be involved in there current teams first team plans.

A back up striker is no where near priority. We need some wingers though and having no idea what attempts we have made in that sense i'm not going to criticise but I wont defend either. Maybe there is something in the rumours about Cortese/Reed/Pardew and chief scout all having to agree on a signing for it to happen, maybe we have tried signing Antonio and the price is well over the top and we are hoping they drop there demands and therefore playing a waiting game...who knows. Certainly not me, and certainly not you either.

His next point proves everyone else's point and you have ignored it. Finding a player willing to be Lamberts back up for a season, and lets be honest that's all a back up will be there for because we'll have to improve the squad more if we get promoted therefore demoting this backup player to nothing, is pretty hard to find.

That also doesn't make much sense on a business level. Getting a player to come in and paying him to sit on the bench in the hope Lambert gets injured is pretty much wasting money.

Personally, I don't give a hoot about Lambert and I'd want us to get someone good enough to challenge him. However that will only come when we go up the leagues. I imagine any "backup" will be either an old pro on a 1 year contract or a loan signing. Both of which could only become available in late stages of the window where they start to realise they are not going to get a contract to play first team football anywhere or be involved in there current teams first team plans.

A back up striker is no where near priority. We need some wingers though and having no idea what attempts we have made in that sense i'm not going to criticise but I wont defend either. Maybe there is something in the rumours about Cortese/Reed/Pardew and chief scout all having to agree on a signing for it to happen, maybe we have tried signing Antonio and the price is well over the top and we are hoping they drop there demands and therefore playing a waiting game...who knows. Certainly not me, and certainly not you either.

This.

Spot on post.

I havent ignored it. I dont agree with it, so dont think it is an issue.

Your post is a load of rubbish which demonstrates to me you arent all that serious about promotion. Same old lack of ambition garbage.

This x2

I take the point that some have made that we have spent a lot of money and we have a good squad with a very good starting 11 and should we get promoted we will need to spend again.

However I believe we still need 3 players for this season I dont mind if they are loans the loans we had last year worked well but to contend with injuries suspensions ect we need a centre midfielder a big centre forward and a wide player with some pace the sooner we get these players in the better

I havent ignored it. I dont agree with it, so dont think it is an issue.

Your post is a load of rubbish which demonstrates to me you arent all that serious about promotion. Same old lack of ambition garbage.

What don’t you agree with; the post was well thought out, what player worth his salt is going to come just to bench warm? We have other options they of course not the same standard as Lambert, ironically that’s why they are not nailed on first 11 players. I am believe we have a very capable squad for this league, every team strives to strengthen, however we can only buy what we can afford and then only if its available. Please provide your list of affordable available acceptable back ups to Lambert all nominees must meet all 3 criteria.

Before I make my point, I want to point out this is not a "slagging off" thread.

The sad untimely death of Markus has clearly had an impact on the operations side of the club over the last week or so; attention has rightly been focused on more important, more worldly things.

However, once the club has said its proper goodbye to its saviour tomorrow, the fact remains we are less than 2 weeks away from the end of the window. Yes, the possibility will remain for loans after that, but as the experience from Papa and Antonio shows, they are not the way to go about building a squad competitive for promotion and beyond.

Are we expecting a few announcements that have been postponed due to decorum and decency, or are we still searching for the right players to plug our gaps ?

Personally, I fear the latter; just today AP is saying in the Echo that A O-C will "hopefully" get some competition, but it doesnt sound very certain. (I know this quote is probably old and copied from elsewhere)

Sorry, but did this warrant a new threador did you need to massage your ego?

I know everyone will probably think I am banana's but does anyone think with the Craig Bellamy/Man City situation and all that, that Wayne Bridge (if we are looking at loans) would be a possibility once the loan window is open? City will have had to have named their 25 man squad by then and if he's not in it, then it will be curtains for him there me thinks.

He has seen his team mate go back to a championship club where he's always wanted to go back too...Cardiff City, and seen him say he wanted to go back at the top of his game. If Bridge has always wanted to come back here at the top of his game then for me now is the time...but would we want him back? We need wingers, its where we are short and he can play left mid, its just would he drop down to league 1. They wouldn't want him to go to a premier league club and who in the championship would take him after Middlesborough/Strachan plus would he want to move even further north away from his home down here. I know he has Boateng/Zabaleta/Kolorov ahead of him in the pecking order at City though, its why Javier Garrido left. Answers everyone...:?

I know everyone will probably think I am banana's but does anyone think with the Craig Bellamy/Man City situation and all that, that Wayne Bridge (if we are looking at loans) would be a possibility once the loan window is open? City will have had to have named their 25 man squad by then and if he's not in it, then it will be curtains for him there me thinks.

He has seen his team mate go back to a championship club where he's always wanted to go back too...Cardiff City, and seen him say he wanted to go back at the top of his game. If Bridge has always wanted to come back here at the top of his game then for me now is the time...but would we want him back? We need wingers, its where we are short and he can play left mid, its just would he drop down to league 1. They wouldn't want him to go to a premier league club and who in the championship would take him after Middlesborough/Strachan plus would he want to move even further north away from his home down here. I know he has Boateng/Zabaleta/Kolorov ahead of him in the pecking order at City though, its why Javier Garrido left. Answers everyone...:?

There is a difference, this is a cardiff city that is pushing for the premiership.

We're a club that are 2 divisions below the premiership. We will only be able to attract mid-championship players at the moment. If we were pushing for promotion in the championship, you never know.