Transfer Activity

alpine_saint

Before I make my point, I want to point out this is not a "slagging off" thread.

The sad untimely death of Markus has clearly had an impact on the operations side of the club over the last week or so; attention has rightly been focused on more important, more worldly things.

However, once the club has said its proper goodbye to its saviour tomorrow, the fact remains we are less than 2 weeks away from the end of the window. Yes, the possibility will remain for loans after that, but as the experience from Papa and Antonio shows, they are not the way to go about building a squad competitive for promotion and beyond.

Are we expecting a few announcements that have been postponed due to decorum and decency, or are we still searching for the right players to plug our gaps ?

Personally, I fear the latter; just today AP is saying in the Echo that A O-C will "hopefully" get some competition, but it doesnt sound very certain. (I know this quote is probably old and copied from elsewhere)

I'm hoping that as you say announcements have been postponed out of respect. I'm sure our targets are identified by now, however I am concerned that perhaps with the ownership question in the murky world of probate moneys for transfers not already in the pipeline will be delayed. And with the transfer deadline approaching those delays might scupper well laid plans.

I've previously been of the opinion that Pardew's softly softly approach towards transfers was a sensible one - wait it out for the best possible deals - but now I'm scared that circumstances have overtaken us and we might not get in the players we need to give the squad that depth it so lacks at the moment.

I know where you're coming from... I hope that we have actually been busy behind the scenes, but have ensured all parties remain silent until everyone has had the chance to pay their respect. I'm not expecting much mind you, but one or two in key positions would be good.

We can't wait forever though and the Plymouth game did highlight a few weaker areas, so we need to get on and do something.

I'm hoping that as you say announcements have been postponed out of respect. I'm sure our targets are identified by now, however I am concerned that perhaps with the ownership question in the murky world of probate moneys for transfers not already in the pipeline will be delayed. And with the transfer deadline approaching those delays might scupper well laid plans.

I've previously been of the opinion that Pardew's softly softly approach towards transfers was a sensible one - wait it out for the best possible deals - but now I'm scared that circumstances have overtaken us and we might not get in the players we need to give the squad that depth it so lacks at the moment.

I really cannot imagine that Markus was dipping his hand in his pocket and opening his wallet every time we signed a player, so I cannot imagine that any probate issue will prevent us signing players.

As for your comment about AP's strategy, its a trickie. I personally do not like such games, as my natural impatience over the summer here as demonstrated; I prefer to live for today. However, I assume that the doctors were unable to give an accurate prediction of Markus's death, so to blame him is a bit unfair. The fact remains, it could cost us promotion.

I really cannot imagine that Markus was dipping his hand in his pocket and opening his wallet every time we signed a player, so I cannot imagine that any probate issue will prevent us signing players.

I'm not sure I share your confidence. Funds were likely earmarked for player purchases but that doesn't mean they would necessarily have been transfered to the club before they were required.

As for your comment about AP's strategy, its a trickie. I personally do not like such games, as my natural impatience over the summer here as demonstrated; I prefer to live for today. However, I assume that the doctors were unable to give an accurate prediction of Markus's death, so to blame him is a bit unfair. The fact remains, it could cost us promotion.

You impatient? Honestly I never noticed ;)

I think there's something to be said both for getting them in quick (as we did for the fullback positions) and for playing a waiting game (as we're hopefully doing for a pacy right winger and a central midfielder).

The Echo piece is quoting Pardew from after the Bournemouth game so yeah a regurgitation!

I suspect "things" were put on hold until Sunday night and that targets and negotiations are back in 3/4 swing. I don't expect any announce prior to the memorial service but I do expect a new signing or two by the weekend!!

This enforced lull is right and proper but I'm sure the eye has not fern taken off the ball.

A new signing or two and especially a decent one would certainly perk the grieving fanbase.

I honestly think everything has been quite rightly put on the back burner out of respect for Markus. Even the bit in the echo today is only a rehash. I think once tomorrow has passed and everyone at the club has paid there respects to the great man we will return to football once again.

R.I.P. Markus

I'm not expecting much spending because from the outset we were told that we had to be self sufficient and now it is even more important since the death of Markus. I would of also thought we may have had a statement of some sort from AP on behalf of the players, it all seems strangely quiet.

I'm not hopefull. As I said before I have a feeling this summers ear marked transfer budget was spent last january in attempt to push the plan on quicker when it looked like promotion was a possibility. We have already spent a lot of money on this squad prehaps NC thinks we've spent enough? I also don't think we ever had the pots of money some fans thought we did before ML's sad passing and its even less likely we have loads of money now. The most important thing to me is the club lives within it's means and never goes any where near adminstration again.

I think it's loans for us not a bad thing as long as they're for the season hell Antonio and Papa where good for us last season who says we can't find a couple of loans that good this season?

I'm not hopefull. As I said before I have a feeling this summers ear marked transfer budget was spent last january in attempt to push the plan on quicker when it looked like promotion was a possibility. We have already spent a lot of money on this squad prehaps NC thinks we've spent enough? I also don't think we ever had the pots of money some fans thought we did before ML's sad passing and its even less likely we have loads of money now. The most important thing to me is the club lives within it's means and never goes any where near adminstration again.

I think it's loans for us not a bad thing as long as they're for the season hell Antonio and Papa where good for us last season who says we can't find a couple of loans that good this season?

AP said we were building for the championship - loans are not the answer.

I don't think ML's untimely death will have an immediate impact on the financial policy within the club (budgets will have been set and funds allocated), it's the long term effect that is of possible concern, but who knows.

In recent weeks discussions on here were focussing on the relationship between AP and NC, so you have to ask whether this is a 'reason' for a lack of transfer activity or whether Pardew, good to his word, is waiting for the end of the window to come into view to pressurise (better) players and moreover agents. I think that in the situation you have to take the manager at his word and expects a bit of a flurry as the window draws to a close - for my money a target man, midfield general on permanents and a couple of impact player style loans...

It probably answers why some questioned why AP said that needed to do any transfers asap when the window opened. I think the club will go back to near normal running on Thursday- after all its been a bit like a family death to a lot of people within the club. Personally can only see us a get a couple of loans in as we have to live within the clubs means and the wage bill is probably pretty high for league 1 standards

Loans are a good idea when you ensure there is an option to buy at the end of them. I think we made a huge mistake in not insisting on these when getting Papa and Antonio in. Could have saved us a fortune!

Loans are a good idea when you ensure there is an option to buy at the end of them. I think we made a huge mistake in not insisting on these when getting Papa and Antonio in. Could have saved us a fortune!

Apparently AP did not exercise an option to sign Papa.

Note that he only referrs to Antonio in his comments about ongoing transfer activity.

There are also rumours that Papa wasnt exactly enamoured of AP.

Anyway, this is digressing a bit and I dont want to attack the manager or club.

Alpine Saint makes some good points.

I too am worried about the lack of a "box to box" midfielder gereral, a "winger" to give competition to Lallana & Puncheon, particularly the latter and a cover "centre forward" Without I suspect we will struggle to get out of this division.

Loan players are not the preferred option as has been shown in the past. Either they are not good enough or they are not available after their loan period.

There was rumour that Pardew did not get on with Waigo (probably a communication issue) but Pardew is not the only one making decisions on transfers so either Waigo did not want to come or the club felt he was not the answer.

Having said the above, we are not likely to throw money at a player (and nor should we) We do not want overpaid mercenaries. We want players who want to play for the club for what it is and what, with their help, it can become. If we cannot get the right players on permanent deals then loans may be the short term answer. That will not likely happen until after the transfer window closes.

Getting promotion this season is the priority. We must keep up the interest of our "new" benifactors. They must be made to feel that continuing the late Marcus's dream will result in fulfilment.

There's a thread like this on most football forums at the moment.

The market is quiet, apart from the odd free transfer or nomial fee, man city are the only club spending money.

Until this changes and other clubs further down the leagues start showing their hand, then we'll have a stalemate. I expect us to wait for loans if im honest.

IMO things may well happen in the last four to five days of the window when things start to filter down the food chain. I would think that AP has a wish list of half a dozen players with two or three at the top of it, but till things start to move else where nothing will happen.

Pardew said that Chamberlain "hopefully" should have competition for the MK Dons game last saturday, so whoever it was should be signed by now to be honest.

They may well have been. I think we'll hear a lot more about the running of the club and new players after the memorial tomorrow.

If we have a 5 year plan that is to be implemented, then we do need some more players in various areas. IMO the squad is weaker than it was at the end of last season and has not been truly addressed in the vital areas.

I think we need to wait for confirmation on that, and it's fair that we pause for a bit. It may have to be loans, like Papa and Antonio were.

We don't know what the future holds for us long-term.

If we have a 5 year plan that is to be implemented, then we do need some more players in various areas. IMO the squad is weaker than it was at the end of last season and has not been truly addressed in the vital areas.
I disagreed with Alpine Saint on that point before the season started but having seen our play against Plymouth and Bournemouth I have changed my mind and agree with the statement highlighted in bold.

*Shrug* Managers say all sorts of stuff. Actions speak louder than words and there has been much less activity this summer than most of us thought there would be. Prehaps it is out of APs hands? At the end of the day APs not the one holding the purse strings.

*Shrug* Managers say all sorts of stuff. Actions speak louder than words and there has been much less activity this summer than most of us thought there would be. Prehaps it is out of APs hands? At the end of the day APs not the one holding the purse strings.

i still believe in NC and his shrewd handling of our finances but Iam a tad alarmed that the lack of good signings to guarantee our success is a worry.

Either NC is keeping his powder dry for a new manager or the 5 year plan has been put to one side.

I am a bit disappointed at our failure to act swiftly in the transfer market this year. Also sad that we did not sign Waigo and Antonio. Had we got those two, then we would have only needed cover for Rickie and we would be sorted. I like signing players we know because we already know that they can perform.

Well I wouldn't mind a season long loan of a player of this quaility

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8919925.stm

It seems man city would rather he didn't play for an EPL team but they're not naming him in their squad for the season. Some have already said this what AP is waiting for there might be a quite a few EPL loannes avaliable. So what if it's only for a season could make all the difference to a promotion chase.

It seems man city would rather he didn't play for an EPL team but they're not naming him in their squad for the season. Some have already said this what AP is waiting for there might be a quite a few EPL loannes avaliable. So what if it's only for a season could make all the difference to a promotion chase.

Precisely. To pay for this, Cardiff are most likely going to have to let some of their players go - apparently McCormack is now available up front.

The club have stated in writing that they have identified Transfer Targets. (Note the plural) Reading Friendly programme amongst others.

I am frustrated that we haven't signed the squad strengthening players we all know we need (and, let's face it the CLUB have said we need)

I'm frustrated that we dropped points against Plymouth and am concerned that we don't have game changing loans like Papa & Antonio on the bench OR longer term players covering CM.

But, Rupert Lowe & The 3 Amigos have been gone well over a year now. I don't like waiting for anything but I believe the new structure have told us what is going on and with this lot I have some faith that they have stopped spinning (lying) and are working on it.

And FFS we won't be getting anywhere near Bellamy. As Redkrap said today, Man City paid 12mil for him and he's on massive wages. He'll be loaned to a PL club that are no threat to Man City (eg Fulham) or a Europa League team on the Continent (that's just a negotiating position on their behalf)

Precisely. To pay for this, Cardiff are most likely going to have to let some of their players go - apparently McCormack is now available up front.

We don't know the terms (unless you do? I haven't seen them anywhere) Man city may be picking up the wage bill or part of it (in fact giving Cardiffs fianices they must be surely?) as they won't let him go to a EPL club.

The club have stated in writing that they have identified Transfer Targets. (Note the plural) Reading Friendly programme amongst others.

I am frustrated that we haven't signed the squad strengthening players we all know we need (and, let's face it the CLUB have said we need)

I'm frustrated that we dropped points against Plymouth and am concerned that we don't have game changing loans like Papa & Antonio on the bench OR longer term players covering CM.

But, Rupert Lowe & The 3 Amigos have been gone well over a year now. I don't like waiting for anything but I believe the new structure have told us what is going on and with this lot I have some faith that they have stopped spinning (lying) and are working on it.

And FFS we won't be getting anywhere near Bellamy. As Redkrap said today, Man City paid 12mil for him and he's on massive wages. He'll be loaned to a PL club that are no threat to Man City (eg Fulham) or a Europa League team on the Continent (that's just a negotiating position on their behalf)

...or Cardiff.

Pardew said that Chamberlain "hopefully" should have competition for the MK Dons game last saturday, so whoever it was should be signed by now to be honest.

I don't think he ever mentioned having them in before that game specifically.

here's the quote

Pardew said: “He’s shown in pre- season that he has the pace and the directness that we’re missing because (Michail) Antonio obviously is not here.

“He will come under competition I hope soon but at the moment he is there or thereabouts.

“At half-time against Cherries, I said that in the first half I thought he could have done better, even though he’s only 16.''

Exactly what the Cardiff fans are saying. They know that even if the loan deal is for only 6 months, he'll make a huge difference to the team and give them that extra little push for promotion.

Im all for loans, as long as it fills a gap for the time being or adds competion (eg Papa & Antonio last year) then we should look to utilise the loan market because you can get some very good players there for next to nothing.

Amazing deal for Bellamy, is he a Cardiff fan? Some good points above about the trickle down effect, particularly with us in Div 3. Our first 11 when all fit, is very good indeed, the fear is that having let so many players go if injuries kick in we are in big trouble. Looks like Vassell is off to Leeds...

I am a bit disappointed at our failure to act swiftly in the transfer market this year. Also sad that we did not sign Waigo and Antonio. Had we got those two, then we would have only needed cover for Rickie and we would be sorted. I like signing players we know because we already know that they can perform.

Risking the ire of West_Ender, I think centre-midfiled is still not strong enough and lacks real incisive punch - had Hammond been able to take his chances against Plymouth we'd have won.

No we won't (never thought we would) as he has already gone to Cardiff according to the BBC. It goes to show though that there will be lots of EPL players that won't get into the 25 man squads they've got to play somewhere. Ok we won't get any big names like Bellamy but some of the lesser players would still be good enough for us.

It makes sense to wait for loanies IMO. You have to remember we are in League 1 and there is a ceiling on who we can attract.

Must have imagined the signing of Fonte....

sorry, I dont buy that low-ambition defeatist sentiment. If we are supposed to buy the "we are going places" mantra, why cant it be sold to the players ?