Reasons for not going to SMS

Long Shot

Some reasons are acceptable - some are not.

Acceptable

Living a long way away - personally this is a dubious one, I never missed a game when I lived in London but accept it is not easy for some (dont forget that bloke, Malc who lived in Canada who came home for every game.

Finance - it is expensive these days

Family committments - can't get out of looking after the kids if no one else can

illness - self explanatory

you're banned - no brainer

work

the chance of meeting unpleasant postees - scooby - does he go, sundance - is he real?

Agrophobia - and its getting worse with all the stay aways

might find yourself sitting next to Marc Jackson - on leave from saving the Cherries

an allergy to Mike Osman

amnesia

Unacceptable

The presence of Lowe - understandable but not acceptable

Prefer to monitor forum and pontificate - criminal

Laziness - see above

Weather - see above

game on TV - see above

Fear of hooliganism - does not exist any more

lack of atmosphere - not surprising if people stay away

being a Billynomates - get to a game you might find a friend

Borderline

Crap football a la Branfoot and Burley

Disillusionment with football in general

the beer is crap

divorce threats

old age or death

a hot date with Lucy Pinder

No doubt there are other reasons that fall into the above 3 camps - feel free to voice them.

Edited by Long Shot
listening to other's views - very un Rupert like

Acceptable

Living a long way away - personally this is a dubious one, I never missed a game when I lived in London but accept it is not easy for some (dont forget that bloke, Malc who lived in Canada who came home for every game.

Family committments - can't get out of looking after the kids if no one else can

Unacceptable

Laziness - see above

Weather - see above

game on TV - see above

Borderline

the beer is crap

divorce threats

old age

No doubt there are other reasons that fall into the above 3 camps - feel free to voice them.

No-one to go with :(

(more difficult for a woman I think you'd agree :smt102 )

Excellent I didn't go last night because a) it's a 3hr roundtrip and b) a young son.

However I have a season ticket so I get counted whether or not I'm in my seat or not AND I lent someone else my ticket to go.

Win for Saints him as he got a free seat, win for the team as they got more support, win for the club as he enjoyed himself and will pay next time - and as Saint won, a loss for me :(

Acceptable

Unacceptable

Laziness - see above

Weather - see above

game on TV - see above

Borderline

the beer is crap

divorce threats

old age

London a long way away ? an hour by train from Waterloo, now Cheshire 4 hours by car that IS a long way

I will take you R

Long Shot you forgot work or other social commitment (I think you know what I mean(

Work, most definitely in my case. Most of my weekends are spent either at work on a 12 hour day shift or at home, asleep, between two 12 hour night shifts. Midweek I am either at work 4 to midnight or on nights and hence too shot for going to a game!

Well i go to all home games and as many away games as i can afford.I dont think that makes me better than anyone else,but i can understand why people stay away.

Apart from supporting the team, the other main reason i feel that encourages fans is the matchday experience.I think the experience Lowe used to promote so much is now sadly lacking.

We have lost the Itchen North,plus most of the atmosphere(and the beer has gone up).

The people in charge have to realise that there are a whole host of reasons(not just the team winning),why people have stopped going.

Acceptable? Unacceptable? Who the f7&^ are you to say what is or is not "acceptable"? People are generally grown up enough to decide for themselves how to spend their lives, their time and their money.

No, haven't been this season and will probably do away games before home games, but its my choice. You can go feel smug, holy and self-satisfied if you like, but, jeez, get some perspective.

Acceptable

Living a long way away - personally this is a dubious one, I never missed a game when I lived in London but accept it is not easy for some (dont forget that bloke, Malc who lived in Canada who came home for every game.Finance - it is expensive these days

work

the chance of meeting unpleasant postees - scooby - does he go, sundance - is he real?

Agrophobia - and its getting worse with all the stay aways

might find yourself sitting next to Marc Jackson - on leave from saving the Cherries

an allergy to Mike Osman

amnesia

Unacceptable

Laziness - see above

Weather - see above

game on TV - see above

lack of atmosphere - not surprising if people stay away

being a Billynomates - get to a game you might find a friend

Borderline

the beer is crap

divorce threats

old age or death

a hot date with Lucy Pinder

Coming from Canada for every game seems unlikely. Must have way more money and spare time than me

Long Shot, we are football fans, not members of a messianic cult.

Don't hector us with pompous, self-regarding guff about what you find 'acceptable' or 'borderline'.

F*ckin hell mate I was having a joke, light hearted, not serious. We are touchy - I wonder why.

Acceptable? Unacceptable? Who the f7&^ are you to say what is or is not "acceptable"? People are generally grown up enough to decide for themselves how to spend their lives, their time and their money.

No, haven't been this season and will probably do away games before home games, but its my choice. You can go feel smug, holy and self-satisfied if you like, but, jeez, get some perspective.

See my reply to Roman - this post was meant to be light hearted mate. For your info i missed Tuesday's because I was looking after my kids - its not big deal unless you chose to make it so, and by your reply I see you have.

I hate Lowe and Co for what they have done to this club but this cannot be used as an excuse not to support the club. I only miss games due to working abroad for short trips and may have been known to manipulate dates to avoid missing home games.

Were you there on tuesday night, mate? I have to admit that it was the first home game I've been to this season (other than Claus' testimonial) mainly because I live in London and am not too flush at the moment. I did make it to Cardiff on the first day, however, so that was a decent effort I thought but my point is this: I've never seen such a total lack of atmosphere at st marys, even last season when we were playing ****e we still had 20-25,000 attendances. If it continues the way it's going now the club could be in serious trouble and this is why Long Shot is drawing attention to the problem.

Acceptable

The fear of meeting some of the 'characters' that post on here

But how would you know who each person was unless they told you?

Take me for example, no-one would ever guess who I am, as i'm no longer bald (following a decision to grow my hair taken recently).

Saying that, I am still big, still called Si, and still going through the slightly frustrating transitional phase between skinhead and acceptable haircut I can go out in public with without feeling like a complete plank!

Aren't 2 threads (on the first page!) on this enough. We all know that those who go are far superior to those who don't go. Or some such ****.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2563

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2527

If only you had some kind of moderating power Poncey, then you'd be able to delete duplicate threads.

Acceptable

The fear of meeting some of the 'characters' that post on here

That can't be too great a fear, most on here claim that the very appearance of Lord Lowe in the stands is enough to drive them from the club in an attempt to send it to oblivion.

southampton is for life not just the premiership...........not even just for the top half of the championship,or wether or not lowe is in charge.

get out and support your team.

I do and I will continue to support Saints away from home. As far as i'm concerned the lower the home gates the better. With every pitiful gate it pushes the club closer to administration and sooner rather than later poor old Rupert and Mike will be shafted.

Cue the "you're not a real fan" and "administration will be a disaster" replies, but quite frankly nothing could be worse than having a club under the stewardship of Lowe and Wilde. They'll take us into administration eventually anyway so those boycotting are merely excellerating an inevitable process.

Rock bottom is where this club is heading and until we've hit it, and Lowe and Wilde are gone for good, we cannot rise again.

I do and I will continue to support Saints away from home. As far as i'm concerned the lower the home gates the better. With every pitiful gate it pushes the club closer to administration and sooner rather than later poor old Rupert and Mike will be shafted.

Cue the "you're not a real fan" and "administration will be a disaster" replies, but quite frankly nothing could be worse than having a club under the stewardship of Lowe and Wilde. They'll take us into administration eventually anyway so those boycotting are merely excellerating an inevitable process.

Rock bottom is where this club is heading and until we've hit it, and Lowe and Wilde are gone for good, we cannot rise again.

You're not a real fan, administration would be a disaster

I've never really subscribed to this debate. I'm not sure which is the worse 'holier than thou' attitude - the ones that say I'm a better fan cos I go or the ones that say I'll never come back whilst Lowe is there.

The reality is we get low crowds because we have no household names and too many defeats.

If JPs plan works (and I think it will) then the wins will come, our youngsters will start to become good role models / household names and the fans will return.