Lampard (Chelsea),

Gerrard (Liverpool),

Downing (Middlesbrough),

Wright-Phillips (Manchester City);

Heskey (Wigan),

Crouch (Portsmouth),

Rooney (Manchester United),

Defoe (Portsmouth).

I see Owen isn't in. Which is fair enough as he hasn't done much but am personally baffled with the inclusion of Downing and Defoe - as they never perform at international level IMO.

Defoe is in because he is the most natural goalscorer we have and has started this season superbly

I have no qualms with him in the Premier league as he seems to do the business but internationally I just haven't seen him do much.

Although I am pleased that Capello is picking players for squads on what seems like form at the moment apart from omitting Young!

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Just keep it the same as the last game. Gerrard should be on the bench, there's no need to change anything from the Croatia game.

Lets not whinge about Capello's decisions after the last two games. The only change to the squad i'd make would be Defoe out for Owen.

Downing and Jenas offer very little, with the latter little more than a water carryer playing for the worst team in the premier league atm and the former previously proving his inabilty to rise to the big occasion.

Young is one of the best wingers in the league and yet does not get into the SQUAD. Something aint right there.

Downing and Jenas offer very little, with the latter little more than a water carryer playing for the worst team in the premier league atm and the former previously proving his inabilty to rise to the big occasion.

Young is one of the best wingers in the league and yet does not get into the SQUAD. Something aint right there.

Downing is basically are only choice for a left footed winger, he's not great but I can understand why he's still getting picked. He offers something different.

Young should be in the squad at the expense of Beckham imo.

Jenas isn't great either but I'm not even sure who we could replace him with, Carrick and Hargreaves when fit would take his place I guess. Maybe Reo-Coker or Bullard but I don't think there's much different between the three.

Bullard even wanted to play for the German team.

http://www.4thegame.com/club/wafc/news/187211/jimmy_waits_on_klinsmann.html

The 27-year-old has a German grandmother and, after enjoying an impressive first season in top-flight football, is hoping national team boss Jurgen Klinsmann will hand him a chance to prove himself on the world stage.

"The paperwork has been sorted and if Jurgen rang I'd definitely be interested," said Bullard.

"I used to play with England midfielder Frank Lampard at West Ham and the chance to face him in the World Cup would be too good to turn down."

Have we actually found an England manager who doesn't include strikers who just have a big reputation on their abilities and form from about 1997 to 2003, and have been sussed out by decent international defenders or is Owen just injured again..?

And how can Bridgey be included..? He never gets a game.

Rooney has done nothing to deserve being there. How is Ashley Young not in the squad??

I'll be there on saturday. I'll have seen Capellos first game in charge and Capellos first competitive home game in charge. Excellent.

Did you not watch the Croatia game? He was the most influencial man on the pitch, his assist for Walcott's third was sublime.

Rooney has done nothing to deserve being there. How is Ashley Young not in the squad??

I'll be there on saturday. I'll have seen Capellos first game in charge and Capellos first competitive home game in charge. Excellent.

What about the three assists and goal from our last two games?

Never mind the fact there are hardly any other options if we did drop him. Joe Cole is injured and I'm struggling to think of any other English players who can play in the hole. Lallana ?

why does Matthew Upson keep getting in the squad? He isn't that great

Lack of options, I guess. Woodgate would be a good shout but he's been a bit below par this season.

You could say the same about Beckham.

Indeed. Bottom of the league and only one win from their last 15 for LA Galaxy. I haven't seen any of their games but it seems like Beckham is a token pick.

I would pick Owen ahead of Defoe/Crouch everytime. His goalscoring record for England is excellent and he's proved he can score at the highest level since 98.

Gives him a little extra incentive to work for his place if we don't automatically pick him every time he's fit however...

Don't get me started on "Brand Beckham"

No idea why people slate Beckham so much. To my mind he was the only player who gave a f*** about The national team for a good few years. He gives 100 percent every time he plays for England so what exactly is wrong with him? He's a good sporting role model for children IMO, certainly better than 99 percent of footballers.

I would pick Owen ahead of Defoe/Crouch everytime. His goalscoring record for England is excellent and he's proved he can score at the highest level since 98.

For once we have a manager picking players on the form there in playing for there team, And not on who they are, Defoe and Crouch are scoring goals, Owen is NOT! Or would you rather we go back to the old pals act, Or could it be they play for a team down the road and you are being a narrow minded little W*NKER,

For once we have a manager picking players on the form there in playing for there team, And not on who they are, Defoe and Crouch are scoring goals, Owen is NOT! Or would you rather we go back to the old pals act, Or could it be they play for a team down the road and you are being a narrow minded little W*NKER,

Thanks for the abuse. Footballs about opinions. I would pick Owen ahead of Defoe/Crouch if they were still playing for Spurs/Liverpool reserves as they were. I think you will find that Owen has been scoring recently despite playing for newcastle.

Thanks for the abuse. Footballs about opinions. I would pick Owen ahead of Defoe/Crouch if they were still playing for Spurs/Liverpool reserves as they were. I think you will find that Owen has been scoring recently despite playing for newcastle.

Owen is not firing on all cylinders yet having just come back from time out of toons team (injury and the likes)......Now if you had said Agbonlahor you would of had a good argument.;)

No idea why people slate Beckham so much. To my mind he was the only player who gave a f*** about The national team for a good few years. He gives 100 percent every time he plays for England so what exactly is wrong with him? He's a good sporting role model for children IMO, certainly better than 99 percent of footballers.

Nobody is doubt his work ethic or the ability he had a few years ago. He simply isn't good enough anymore, Beckham from 4-5 years ago was a class act unfrotunatley he has lost his legs and he's nothing more than a token pick.

Spot on, Michael Owen will always score goals when he gets the chance for England. Defoe just isn't intelligent enough for the national team, good player for Pompey but he'll never cut it for England IMO. I would think Capello wants Owen to prove his fitness over a period of time before calling him up, the last two managers have been too reliant on Owen and paid the price when he's got injured.

If we where drawing a game with 15 minutes to go and I had the choice to bring on Owen or Defoe it would be an easy choice.

As for Crouch he's probably the next best allternative to Heskey, not that we have many other big strong targetmen to choose from.

Owen is not firing on all cylinders yet having just come back from time out of toons team (injury and the likes)......Now if you had said Agbonlahor you would of had a good argument.;)

Agbonalhor?! he hasn't got any international experience, maybe he deserves a chance in a friendly but he's nothing special imo. He's only scored one more than Owen this season.