Luke McCormick

SNSUN

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7654430.stm

Seven years and four months he's been sent to jail for. Deserved, but what an idiot. I bet he was on decent money, he could have had a good career, now, by the time he gets out, he will be past it at a footballing level.

This might open the eyes of some other footballers that think they own the world because of who they are and how much they earn. (Yeah Dyer, looking at you... :-))

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7654430.stm

Seven years and four months he's been sent to jail for. Deserved, but what an idiot. I bet he was on decent money, he could have had a good career, now, by the time he gets out, he will be past it at a footballing level.

This might open the eyes of some other footballers that think they own the world because of who they are and how much they earn. (Yeah Dyer, looking at you... :-))

I bet he's not. He's only 26 and he'll only serve 3 and half years. As a GK, he couldplay til he was late 30's. And look at how quickly Lee Hughes found a new club after doing a similar thing. I bet he's snapped up by a Lge 1 club on his release.

For manslaughter?

It could easily be any of us in his position. He crashed a car, he didn't buy a gun and go on a killing spree.

He crashed a car that he got in knowing full well he was drunk.

May as well have had a gun.

A hypothetical question:

When an ordinary bloke (or girl) is released from prison after serving a sentence for killing people in a car accident because they were drunk .....

Would you think it was wrong for them to return to their profession or trade (doctor / engineer / pop star)?

No i believe people should be ok to go back to their chosen profession,but a footballer isn't a normal person he is often held up as a role model to others.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
No i believe people should be ok to go back to their chosen profession,but a footballer isn't a normal person he is often held up as a role model to others.

A professional footballer as a role model. For whom, idiots?

I bet he's not. He's only 26 and he'll only serve 3 and half years. As a GK, he couldplay til he was late 30's. And look at how quickly Lee Hughes found a new club after doing a similar thing. I bet he's snapped up by a Lge 1 club on his release.

Mikey, he won't do a half sentence for killing two kids. The uproar would be too great. The parents of the kids have already lodged their disappointment at the sentence handed down but the judge can only work within his remit. He may do open prison at the tail end of his sentence but it will be at least five years served overall and probably more.

Mikey, he won't do a half sentence for killing two kids. The uproar would be too great. The parents of the kids have already lodged their disappointment at the sentence handed down but the judge can only work within his remit. He may do open prison at the tail end of his sentence but it will be at least five years served overall and probably more.

Dunno about that, Lee Hughes ran away from the scene of his death by dangerous driving crime but only served 2 of a 4-year sentence.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

It's all down to the Parole Board, how much time he spends in prison. The only way a Judge can set a tariff is for a life sentence.

(xii) Discretionary release.

Those sentenced to four years or more are eligible for parole half way through their sentence, if parole is not granted then release occurs at the two-thirds point of the sentence (or at a subsequent parole review). Release, when it occurs, is on licence and subject to supervision up to three quarters (or to the end in the case of some sex offenders) and all are 'at risk' until the end of the original sentence.

Dunno about that, Lee Hughes ran away from the scene of his death by dangerous driving crime but only served 2 of a 4-year sentence.

Agreed. His sentence seemed extremely light and he did a half. He's a high profile early example of sentencing the footballing famous though. Not that celebs should necessarily get a harder time than other miscreants of course. But it sends out messages one way or the other simply because it gets reported over more channels.

Edited by TopGun

It's all down to the Parole Board, how much time he spends in prison. The only way a Judge can set a tariff is for a life sentence.

I don't think a parole board will let McCormick out on 3.5 years though DSM. Too much crap for them even if he is a model prisoner.

I'm sure there are a few on this forum, and indeed many more who sat at home and said "he should go down for life", who have got into a car over the official limit.

Not me.

He was well over the limit, witnesses said he was driving like an idiot, and he said he fell asleep at the wheel.

Two parents have lost their children as a result. Their lives will never be the same again.

In my book his car was a lethal weapon and it should have been murder. Jail all the drink-driving scum, and take their licenses away for life.

Not me.

He was well over the limit, witnesses said he was driving like an idiot, and he said he fell asleep at the wheel.

Two parents have lost their children as a result. Their lives will never be the same again.

In my book his car was a lethal weapon and it should have been murder. Jail all the drink-driving scum, and take their licenses away for life.

I think it is strange that drunk drivers who kill people are not committed for at least manslaughter with a jail sentence that is higher end. After all, the specific crime may not be deliberately premedidated but every drunk driver knows that he is breaking the law when he gets in the car anyway.

One for the law lords to reconsider IMO.

Causing death whilst drunk in charge is murder in my book, the parents of those two poor children have been given a life sentence, that scrote will a free man after 3 - 4 years.

and because football has lost any moral values it once had, someone will give him a job

I think it is strange that drunk drivers who kill people are not committed for at least manslaughter with a jail sentence that is higher end. After all, the specific crime may not be deliberately premedidated but every drunk driver knows that he is breaking the law when he gets in the car anyway.

One for the law lords to reconsider IMO.

i do agree with what you're saying, however where do you draw the line???

a driver doing 35mph in a 30 zone knows they are breaking the law too, but should they be tried for murder if they are involved in an accident and kill another driver/passenger or pedestrian???

you can't really say that speeding is a more/less serious breakage of the law than drink driving, as both actions pose a significant and serious risk to public safety........

i do agree with what you're saying, however where do you draw the line???

a driver doing 35mph in a 30 zone knows they are breaking the law too, but should they be tried for murder if they are involved in an accident and kill another driver/passenger or pedestrian???

you can't really say that speeding is a more/less serious breakage of the law than drink driving, as both actions pose a significant and serious risk to public safety........

I understand where you are coming from but surely your statement begs the question why not? Surely the speed limits are there for that one main reason? We know that a collision between a car and person at 40 is more likely to lead to a fatality than one at 30. So surely one at 35 (I know we're indulging in semantics here) is still more likely to lead to a fatality than one at 30? The point is that the driver is breaking the law, yes I slip over the limits at times, but at the end of the day I would be breaking the law. Are we not supposed to be in control of our vehicle at all times? To drive, with 'due care and attention'? The minute we do not observe that care and attention we leave ourselves open to any mishap whereas if paying that care and attention we may well stand a chance of taking avoiding action?

Not intentional = a manslaughter charge I agree but we make that choice to not drive within the law and that is intentional. We all know where that can lead as in the case of the footballer!

Although maybe a grey area I can see it fairly plainly leaning toward the black!

There seems to be two different arguments here. One is should a professional footballer be treated differently to any 'normal' member of the public. The other is whether the punishment fits the crime. Neither are really connected.

Personally I think the law should be applied equally and without prejudice to anyone found guilty of any crime regardless of their place in society.

As for the second argument - I really don't have a clue. There's the whole argument about whether a sentence is punishment, retribution or rehabilitation. Would leaving anyone guilty of this crime rot in jail be worthwhile? Would the parents feel better? Would it ultimately produce an aged and worthless individual? Perhaps after a lengthy spell inside making him talk to other convicted drunk drivers would be more productive. I really don't know. Seems to me a fairly complex argument with no easy answers. I guess the people who work in this field are the best to judge.

Some of the comments I've red on here are an absolute joke. Luke McCormick made a mistake, just like many other people on here. As already mentioned by another poster it could quite easily have been any person that's driven somewhere under the influence, but more often than not they arrive at their destination and nothing comes of it. However what happened has ripped the lives of that family apart, and i'm sure a day won't go by where McCormick won't think about those two kids.

Whether he's a footballer ot not doesn't really matter, this they are full of themselves, don't care about others arguement is nonsense. Whether he was a electrician, banker, or a gardner this is not the issue here.

Some of the comments I've red on here are an absolute joke. Luke McCormick made a mistake, just like many other people on here. As already mentioned by another poster it could quite easily have been any person that's driven somewhere under the influence, but more often than not they arrive at their destination and nothing comes of it. However what happened has ripped the lives of that family apart, and i'm sure a day won't go by where McCormick won't think about those two kids.

Whether he's a footballer ot not doesn't really matter, this they are full of themselves, don't care about others arguement is nonsense. Whether he was a electrician, banker, or a gardner this is not the issue here.

That's pretty much how I feel...

Bloody hell, i never knew it was so excusable! He didn't make a mistake. He wilfully got into his car, knowing he was ****ed and drove like a *****. The consequences of his actions were entirely avoidable, but no, he chose to act the way he did. And an innocent family has to suffer. I hope he gets f**ked up in prison.

I feel desperately for the lads parents....but I also feel for McCormick as well...he will serve a life sentence of guilt for a stupid mistake he will regret every day for the rest of his life.

There's that "mistake" excuse again! Let's just get it straight one more time. He knowingly got into his car in the early hours of the morning after having too much to drink, drove down a motorway and crashed into another car. Where's the mistake? He disregarded advice from a friend about pursuing this course of action? Picking up his car keys? Using Facebook? Where? Where is the mistake?

There's that "mistake" excuse again! Let's just get it straight one more time. He knowingly got into his car in the early hours of the morning after having too much to drink, drove down a motorway and crashed into another car. Where's the mistake? He disregarded advice from a friend about pursuing this course of action? Picking up his car keys? Using Facebook? Where? Where is the mistake?

You're right. It wasn't a mistake. It was a gamble.

He took a gamble and he lost.

Now he is paying for it. As are innocent third parties.

i watched This Morning this morning (i hate saying that!! lol) and the parents of the 2 young lads that were killed were on there talking about what had happened ..

i was absolutely breaking my heart listening to the mother describing the moment that she was told that her 2 young boys had been killed, and then how she had to then go and indentify their bodies which (in her words) were not a pretty sight and THEN have to go and tell her husband that the boys had died.....not only that , but she had to keep re-telling her husband in the days/weeks following the crash that the boys had died, as his injuries and medication were causing memory loss....

i really think that a copy of that interview should be shown in ALL secondary schools, so that hopefully as the younger generation grow up and become drivers ,that the image of that interview will stay with them, and make them think twice before drinking and driving.

as a mother of two boys myself, it was an almost unbearable thing to hear....:(