Debuts the best or most unforgetable?

Nadia Sllim

Theo looked ok on debut

Flash Watson had a good home debut saints 0-1 down in 90th min somehow we scored 3 in about 2 mins to win 3-1

Did Ostenstad & Berkovic make 1st home league starts in that game against manure?

I believe both had played before, in the victory vs Coventry (?, I may be mistaken), but it does deserve special mention. I remember Berkovic's crackers on MOTD that day, and thinking Ostenstadt was a brilliant goal poacher, and thinking we would do well that season. I was listening to it on Solent whilst on holiday in my parent's caravan, and the whole thing was rocking with every goal we scored. My first ever live Saints game was that following January in the FA Cup 3rd round, when we lost 3-1 to Reading and had Slater and Benali sent off, and Souness stormed onto the pitch afterwards.

BWP scored on his debut, then seemed to just get progressively worse over the next 3 years.

Also David Connolly at Oldham last year. Remember it well, I was there. Came on as a sub, then broke through 1 on 1. Sent the 'keeper completely the wrong way from a challenging angle. Thought we'd found an absolute gem there. It's a shame because he's probably the best finisher in the club, if only he wasn't stuck in the treatment room all the time. ;)

Edited by Lighthouse

indeed he did, at home to QPR (i think) in a 5-1 win. Those were in the days when we used to win the first game of the season now and again.

I remember the game well, sunshine on day one of 1986/87; Clarke triple along with goals from Nick Holmes and Danny Wallace.

We have only won our opening league game twice since then - 1988 (West Ham 4-0) and 1999 (1-0 at Coventry).

Oh Come On !!!!

Surely the Alan Shearer hat-trick against Arsenal on his debut was the mostunforgettable

tbf ..he had two sub.appearances in away games before that, but it was a devasating HOME debut - agreed.

call it a flash in the pan, but he had only 5 apps. that season (mno more goals ) and had to wait 6 months before his next game, ...and yet another year before he got to be a regular fixture in the side. ..still it was great start.

I remember going to Nick Holmes' testimonial match, a pre-season friendly in 1986 against one of the big Portuguese teams. Saints' team included a gawky, clumsy-looking 17-year-old who I'd never heard of - he was skinny, had a big nose and certainly didn't look like much to get excited about. But when he got the ball, it was a revelation - his control and touch were nothing short of astonishing.

I think his name was Matthew something...

Oh HIM !

he's gone down as the man (a boy, at the time )... who got a Man Utd. manager sacked !

In a League Cup replay at the Dell v. MU ...we stuffed them 4-1 in November 1986

He came on as sub on 75 mins. and scored twice in 9 mins.

Ron Atkinson got the bullet two days later!

I kind of remember Claus Lundekvam's debut at the Dell.

I think it was a midweek cup game, and he picked the ball up on the edge of the 18 yard box (Milton road end), ran all the way to the other end and had a shot that went narrowly over. Did I dream this? Or can anyone else confirm?

League game at home to Forest. 2-2 draw. I thought the run was towards the Milton, But then again it was an evening match and I had been at cricket all day and was probably off my face.

Despite being a complete tool for the rest of his career, Steve Baker actually had a good debut. Last game of the 80-81 season, away midweek at Ipswich.

We had to win to stand a chance of getting into Europe and were 3 up in 20 mins. By h-t it was 3-2 and they pis sed all over us for the rest of the game, but Baker cleared at least 3 off the line and we all thought he was one for the future.

Unfortunately, it was the Skates future.

Thinking back to Shearers debut, there are 2 other things I remember:

1) There was a torrential rain storm, and for the first & only time I retreated under the shelter of the family centre.

2) Someone else scored there first goal for Saints, although I don't think it was this persons debut.

A gold star to anyone who can remember who it was.

1) There was a torrential rain storm, and for the first & only time I retreated under the shelter of the family centre.

2) Someone else scored there first goal for Saints, although I don't think it was this persons debut.

Okay .... I've cheated .... even though I was there!!!

Mark Blake ..... can't say I remember much about him.

Or do you mean Kevin Bond who scored .... an og for The Ar5e!!

Mark Blake scored, but his first goal was away at Norwich the previous season.

All this talk of debut hat tricks and no mention of Nicky Banger.

I think it was his full debut .... a 5-0 ? win over some northern monkeys Oldham? Rochdale? Halifax? in the 80's.

I was back in UK for that one as well. SFC should pay for my air fare home the next time we have a young debutante in the line up!!!

Danny Wallace, at Old Trafford.

I was at Soton Uni at the time, and used to watch the youth games at the Dell. Watched him score a couple of goals on the Weds, and was telling all my mates about what a good prospect we had. Low and behold, Steve Morans gutsfell out of his bottom and Danny gets his debut, along with Ruben Agboola in a 1.1 draw at Old Trafford.

Danny would hacve scored the winner, but the ball bobbled up just as he was about to hit it. Crap pitch even then.