Is Life Really All That?

Liquidshokk

Is life all that? No, I've found it to be a series of one disappointment after another. Don't get me wrong - I'm not depressed at all (I've been there and done that thanks) - I've just come to accept the realisation that things are never as exciting or fulfilling as they are made out to be. Everyday life is just sh1t really - go to work, take abuse from some knobheads about things that aren't your fault, get no recognition for your efforts, get home and you're too tired to do anything other than sit in front of a computer or watch the brainless drivel that passes for TV entertainment these days. If this becomes a routine over a prolonged period then it's only a matter of time before you start wondering why you bother.

Not just any old happiness either, 'real happiness'. I've never been to Australia and so have never known 'real happiness'. Now I'm sad... but am I really sad?

(Cue predictable response).

I used Australia as an example because that is what I did. It's why I said somewhere 'like' Australia.

Deppo versus Dune...........Surely a fight to the end would cheer you up, it would me.

I have had 30 years in IT and I know exactly how you are feeling....been there. Having kids meant coming off shift and other big changes. I would say that you should some how find happiness within yourself. Small changes along the lines suggested by other posters. I recall going to Greece when I had no one else to go with aand touring round. I felt self conscious doing it but 25 years later I look back with great affection on that trip.

Where's Mrs Bridge Too Far she is always great at offering wisdom - oh I remember, a few posters on here got on her case and she doesn't post any more.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Seaford Saint

Deppo versus Dune...........Surely a fight to the end would cheer you up, it would me.

I have had 30 years in IT and I know exactly how you are feeling....been there. Having kids meant coming off shift and other big changes. I would say that you should some how find happiness within yourself. Small changes along the lines suggested by other posters. I recall going to Greece when I had no one else to go with aand touring round. I felt self conscious doing it but 25 years later I look back with great affection on that trip.

Where's Mrs Bridge Too Far she is always great at offering wisdom - oh I remember, a few posters on here got on her case and she doesn't post any more.

Good luck to you.

That's what I was trying to say.

Cant you go self-employed?

Was self-employed up until a couple of years ago. Then the credit crunch crept in and I went from having work falling out of every nook and cranny to resorting to agency work, which meant sh*t money, sh*t jobs and 2 weeks of work here, 3 weeks of work there... Which when you have a mortgage and 2 little mouths to feed it just isn't an option.

Which is why I know find myself working for a big nose c*nt who when I informed him I was off on my daughters birthday I was told "she'll have other birthdays." - Sounds like an innocent joke, but I assure you it was 110% serious. Add things like that to not getting bonus's for jobs that you were told you'd get, you get accused of over-booking hours when you have been stitched up to f*ck and had to work a 16 hour shift - even though the van has a tracker and they can see that on NEW YEARS ****ING EVE 2009 I didn't leave Bawnmuff til 22:00!

Sorry, got carried away. :rolleyes:

One aspect of this is the balance between the amount of time working and the amount of pleasure time we have and how the pleasure in my case is never worth the effort put in to achieve it.

Change jobs and/or career!!!! (plus travel)

Did that in 2003 and never looked back. Was previously working on the treadmill as an accountant and eventually it turned in to a repetitive role. Previously the jollys, the fun and the job was good, but eventually it turned in to a bit of Groundhog Day with long hours meaning my job was my life.

A couple of things made me take stock and when I traveeled the world in 2002 I decided to change my job and make more of my spare time.

Went in to teaching and have never looked back. There may come a time when I get bored of that, but for now every day is different, I really feel that I am impacting on young people (and their families lives) and enoy every day in school. The holidays are also great and I always make sure I do something in each of the holidays I get. There's plenty to do in this country during the one & two week breaks that doesn't cost much and I always do 5 weeks abroad in the summer (once again, apart from the flight you can do it quite cheaply).

Just don't get stuck in a rut.

My advice is do what my mate did and make sure your credit rating is perfect, get **** loads of loans, money from credit cards and stuff on HP. Flog the stuff on HP then bugger off to somewhere nice and hot for a few years.

All the debt will be written off and after (I think) 6 years you can start a fresh if you want to came back, which my mate doesn't.

My advice is do what my mate did and make sure your credit rating is perfect, get **** loads of loans, money from credit cards and stuff on HP. Flog the stuff on HP then bugger off to somewhere nice and hot for a few years.

All the debt will be written off and after (I think) 6 years you can start a fresh if you want to came back, which my mate doesn't.

Ive often wondered if you can get away with this.

what's HP?

Debt is a sure fire way to misery. The Santader Zero credit card is alright for foreign travel as you get the inter bank exchange rate and no commision on purchaes, but apart from this example and maybe a few others they are not worth it. My advice to anyone is to make sure you have 3 months salary in your current account and treat that as you overdraft for unforseen circumstances. Credit cards and credit in general isn't worth it with the exeption of a mortgage. If you can't afford something save up for it. Here speaketh the voice of experience who learnt the hard way.

Edited by dune

A mate of mine thought about doing that aintforever..

was offered a £20k loan and was thinking of getting that, selling his car and drawing the rest of the available balance from his credit card and leaving to stay with family is australia

The guy I know is not regretting it, he was quite badly in debt but had some money in his property so instead of paying the banks back just got further into debt, sold his house and buggered off to Belize. He actually worked in the mortgage industry so is aware of the laws surrounding debt etc. It was a simple choice of spending years paying of a debt living like a scumbag or spend 6 years kicking it in the Caribbean.

If you plan it right it is surprising how much cash you can get hold of if you have a good credit rating. It's a bit dishonest but the way I see it the system is set up so that the government arse rapes you for tax, banks rip you off for the privilege of having a roof over your head - why not use the system to your advantage?

The guy I know is not regretting it, he was quite badly in debt but had some money in his property so instead of paying the banks back just got further into debt, sold his house and buggered off to Belize. He actually worked in the mortgage industry so is aware of the laws surrounding debt etc. It was a simple choice of spending years paying of a debt living like a scumbag or spend 6 years kicking it in the Caribbean.

If you plan it right it is surprising how much cash you can get hold of if you have a good credit rating. It's a bit dishonest but the way I see it the system is set up so that the government arse rapes you for tax, banks rip you off for the privilege of having a roof over your head - why not use the system to your advantage?

but isnt it this sort of mass bankrupcies (?) that caused the credit crunch for the rest of us?

anyway, does Belize not mind how long a British passport holder stays there?

but isnt it this sort of mass bankrupcies (?) that caused the credit crunch for the rest of us?

anyway, does Belize not mind how long a British passport holder stays there?

Bad debt did cause the credit crunch but the responsibility lies with the lender. I wouldn't lend anyone money unless I knew they would pay it back.

My mate has family in Belize.

Not just that, it puts up the charges for everybody else who pays what they owe.

Maybe, or maybe the banks just charge the maximum they can get away with anyway regardless of how many people default.

Either way it's all fair game, that's what capitalism is about. Grab as much cash for yourself and **** everyone else.

'A bit dishonest'? He should never be allowed back in the country. In my eyes he is scum.

Was self-employed up until a couple of years ago. Then the credit crunch crept in and I went from having work falling out of every nook and cranny to resorting to agency work, which meant sh*t money, sh*t jobs and 2 weeks of work here, 3 weeks of work there... Which when you have a mortgage and 2 little mouths to feed it just isn't an option.

Which is why I know find myself working for a big nose c*nt who when I informed him I was off on my daughters birthday I was told "she'll have other birthdays." - Sounds like an innocent joke, but I assure you it was 110% serious. Add things like that to not getting bonus's for jobs that you were told you'd get, you get accused of over-booking hours when you have been stitched up to f*ck and had to work a 16 hour shift - even though the van has a tracker and they can see that on NEW YEARS ****ING EVE 2009 I didn't leave Bawnmuff til 22:00!

Sorry, got carried away. :rolleyes:

The credit crunch is finished, if you're good you will make money. I am back to working 60+ hour weeks now as a self employed tradesman. Sounds like you could do with getting away from your employer.

Sounds like a load of old cock to me. Myths like this often crop up as if inspired by some idealised ******** from spending too much time renting horse**** films from Blockbusters, but quite honestly, it is all crap. If one can't stand on their own two feet in this country, then what ****ing hope have they got ****ing off to some god forsaken third world hellhole where the home comforts are nowhere to be seen?

I am sorry, but I love life. I love my wife and children. I love my job, my house, the football team I support, refereeing, and going on holiday. I also look forward one day to having my own business.

There is not enough time to do all i want to do!

Either way it's all fair game, that's what capitalism is about. Grab as much cash for yourself and **** everyone else.

So if I come and burgle your house, helping myself to as much as I can, is that OK with you? Afterall, it is only capitalism.....

Capitalism is about making money, not taking money.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

love yourself. it's not as simple as it sounds though as you might need to deal with some deep rooted crap to get there.

And don't make the mistake of dismissing people jesting or pee taking, eventually you may find that they are absolutley on the money and I am sure that they mean well.

Some things in life are bad

They can really make you mad

Other things just make you swear and curse.

When you're chewing on life's gristle

Don't grumble, give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten

There's something you've forgotten

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

When you're feeling in the dumps

Don't be silly chumps

Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd

And death's the final word

You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin

Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death

Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of ****

When you look at it

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.

You'll see it's all a show

Keep 'em laughing as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the right side of life...

(Come on guys, cheer up!)

Always look on the bright side of life...

(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)

(I mean - what have you got to lose?)

(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.

What have you lost? Nothing!)

Always look on the right side of life...

So if I come and burgle your house, helping myself to as much as I can, is that OK with you? Afterall, it is only capitalism.....

Capitalism is about making money, not taking money.

Burglary is illegal what my mate did is not. Like I said the responsibility lies with the lender, the banks are free to choose who they lend to and how much. Just like my mate can choose to live in whatever country he wants.

Taking/making little difference in today's world. I would class what the banks do as taking money.

And don't make the mistake of dismissing people jesting or pee taking, eventually you may find that they are absolutley on the money and I am sure that they mean well.

I'd say that 90% of time i'm right about everything. Labour being a complete disater for the economy is obvious to me, yet there are some idiots who can't see it, and even vote for them. It's completely inexplicable.

I'd say that 90% of time i'm right about everything. Labour being a complete disater for the economy is obvious to me, yet there are some idiots who can't see it, and even vote for them. It's completely inexplicable.

I would say that you are 'right' about everything 100% of the time.

Burglary is illegal what my mate did is not.

My view is that if you borrow money (from anyone), without intending to pay it back, this is tantamount to theft.

See the section on fraud

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/legal_issues_explained/imprisonment_and_debts.php

Fraud is a criminal offence, so your mate is a fraudster and should be prosecuted if he ever returns.

Like I said the responsibility lies with the lender, the banks are free to choose who they lend to and how much. Just like my mate can choose to live in whatever country he wants.

Yes, the risk/responsibility is with the lender who base their rates upon that risk / defaults. Therefore your mate has cost not just the banks, but people who may really need to borrow money for whatever reason.

Taking/making little difference in today's world.

Big difference. Making is about offering something in return for the money you are making, whether that is a product or service. Taking is just theft.

Out of interest, have you ever tried to sell anything (house, car, etc) and try to get the best price for it? If so (and this is more than likely), it makes you a capitalist.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

My view is that if you borrow money (from anyone), without intending to pay it back, this is tantamount to theft.

See the section on fraud

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/legal_issues_explained/imprisonment_and_debts.php

Fraud is a criminal offence, so your mate is a fraudster and should be prosecuted if he ever returns.

Yes, the risk/responsibility is with the lender who base their rates upon that risk / defaults. Therefore your mate has cost not just the banks, but people who may really need to borrow money for whatever reason.

Big difference. Making is about offering something in return for the money you are making, whether that is a product or service. Taking is just theft.

Out of interest, have you ever tried to sell anything (house, car, etc) and try to get the best price for it? If so (and this is more than likely), it makes you a capitalist.

Jesus no need to get on your high horse I've already said what he did was dishonest - I just don't think he's any worse than the banks who gamble on the stock exchange knowing full well if they lose the tax-payer will bail them out. Everyone in today's world is a capitalist and has to be to survive - that's my point all he's doing is what's best for him and his family - screw anyone else. Just like the bankers who are raking in billions, Mp's feathering their nests with tax payers money and company directors claiming VAT back on their wife's petrol.

Jesus no need to get on your high horse I've already said what he did was dishonest - I just don't think he's any worse than the banks who gamble on the stock exchange knowing full well if they lose the tax-payer will bail them out. Everyone in today's world is a capitalist and has to be to survive - that's my point all he's doing is what's best for him and his family - screw anyone else. Just like the bankers who are raking in billions, Mp's feathering their nests with tax payers money and company directors claiming VAT back on their wife's petrol.

I don't believe there is anybody in the country who could get away with that. Claiming VAT back on petrol is way more trouble than it is worth.