Is Life Really All That?

Liquidshokk

Sounds like a load of old cock to me. Myths like this often crop up as if inspired by some idealised ******** from spending too much time renting horse**** films from Blockbusters, but quite honestly, it is all crap. If one can't stand on their own two feet in this country, then what ****ing hope have they got ****ing off to some god forsaken third world hellhole where the home comforts are nowhere to be seen?

The French had it good for a while. You could claim dole by phone and live in India, Thailand on the beach.

Think theyve stopped it now though :-(

• 11 months later...
If anything it makes you realise what a difference a year makes. Life is just awesome right now so no opportunity for your forum bullying antics this year. Not with me anyway but the usual suspects will get their kicks somehow.

Would you go as far as to say life is now "all that"?

Would you go as far as to say life is now "all that"?

Oooh that's a toughy :) Don't think I'll ever appreciate the work/personal time balance, but life's good when I'm not slaving away at work (in the same crummy IT job I had back then unfortunately)

Charity work abroad this year also had an impact on my outlook on life it's fair to say.

It seems to me that life is indeed a pretty grim experience for a great many people (especially the poor and/or unhealthy) and that alas is a perfectly normal state of affairs for a adult human being to find themselves in. So my advice, for what its worth, is to grab onto those little moments of genuine happiness that may come your way every now and again and remember how lucky you are to have even that consolation.

Above all cherish the children in your life - be they yours or somebody else's - because very often sharing in their childish joy and innocence is the only thing that makes life worth the trouble of living it. Thats how it seems to me anyway.

Dream on fairy child, because this life is more full of tears than you can know

Oooh that's a toughy :) Don't think I'll ever appreciate the work/personal time balance, but life's good when I'm not slaving away at work (in the same crummy IT job I had back then unfortunately)

Charity work abroad this year also had an impact on my outlook on life it's fair to say.

Well I hope your outlook Liquidshokk for 2012 is more upbeat. Your issues of last year were easily fixable. If you have not repaired things then think more positively and do it; happiness is never far away.

I know it's only just turned 2011 and we're meant to be looking to the year ahead in a positive mood hoping for positive things, but despite being fairly comfortable in life and having not ever gone without much I can't help but come to the conclusion at 27 that life is in fact overrated and actually pretty sh!t.

Now before I'm put on suicide watch or people tell me stop complaining cos my life could be so much worse let me just say that I know all that and I know i haven't got it bad. Yet I still think that everything everyone thinks is good in this life isn't actually all that amazing IMO (even the "best" things).

One aspect of this is the balance between the amount of time working and the amount of pleasure time we have and how the pleasure in my case is never worth the effort put in to achieve it.

Every "thing" each of us wish we could have, someone has and has come to acknowledge it's not actually that great and could live without it. Even jackpot winners don't seem all that happy once they've got used to having the money.

Life is hard going with everything we worry about and how hard we have to work to survive. I question whether it's all worth it.

I do wonder if I'm the only person who thinks life is overrated and whether it is because I am a single 27 year old guy in an IT job without any kids, marriage etc or whether people who have all this feel the same!?!?

Discuss.

Thanks.

Great post and a sign of an adult going through some personal growth.

Thanks Jonnyboy, I do know and appreciate that some posters were/are able to see what this thread was about way back then even if it was alcohol induced misery to a certain extent!

Fwiw, it's 00:54 on 1st of Jan and life is great :) HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

The only "personal growth" you should be thinking about on NY eve is when you're ramming your chopper in a bird's mouth to see in the new year ffs

• 11 months later...
We can't all be rapists.

This reminds me, I have it on good authority that The Irish Times only narrowly avoided a near calamitous error that very nearly made it past their elite team of proof readers. This esteemed journal of record was just about to print for all to see: "John Smith, the rapist" - instead of the intended - "John Smith, Therapist"

That, let's face it, would be rather a serious typo ...

This reminds me, I have it on good authority that The Irish Times only narrowly avoided a near calamitous error that very nearly made it past their elite team of proof readers. This esteemed journal of record was just about to print for all to see: "John Smith, the rapist" - instead of the intended - "John Smith, Therapist"

That, let's face it, would be rather a serious typo ...

Wasn't there a health website called http://www.therapist.com? Sure I remember an article about the most unfortunately-named sites a while back.

I was in that place (a very drunken one) two years ago, keep up.

I never needed to make any progress as such, you just didn't get the point I was making about life not neccesarily being worth the effort work and other stresses in life involve.

But as you are so interested in my life (quite creepy) I want you to know I've changed career, met a girl I love and am just dandy. Hoe you're life is just as dandy.... No, really I mean it...

Likewise.

So is life now all that? What progress have you made in the last year?

I was in that place (a very drunken one) two years ago, keep up.

I never needed to make any progress as such, you just didn't get the point I was making about life not neccesarily being worth the effort work and other stresses in life involve.

But as you are so interested in my life (quite creepy) I want you to know I've changed career, met a girl I love and am just dandy. Hoe you're life is just as dandy.... No, really I mean it...

Well you're contradicting yourself as you've made the effort to change career and get a bird and life is better for it, yes? You've made progress haven't you. Maybe your laziness, lack of motivation and woe is me attitude were the reason why life wasnt worth the effort and you were whinging how terrible it was two years ago.

Well you're contradicting yourself as you've made the effort to change career and get a bird and life is better for it, yes? You've made progress haven't you. Maybe your laziness, lack of motivation and woe is me attitude were the reason why life wasnt worth the effort and you were whinging how terrible it was two years ago.

May be maybe not. Of course, you're naturally wanting me to say you were right to inflate you're already oversized ego further.

People change, past is past. Not got anything in your own life you should be concentrating on? On here a lot aren't you....

May be maybe not. Of course, you're naturally wanting me to say you were right to inflate you're already oversized ego further.

People change, past is past. Not got anything in your own life you should be concentrating on? On here a lot aren't you....

There are no maybes about it. Two years ago you were drunkenly whinging that your life was crap on new years eve, now you've done something about it, changed your job and got a bird. So by making an effort and not sitting sround bleating about it your life is better. I like to think that in a small way I may have helped with this.

There are no maybes about it. Two years ago you were drunkenly whinging that your life was crap on new years eve, now you've done something about it, changed your job and got a bird. So by making an effort and not sitting sround bleating about it your life is better. I like to think that in a small way I may have helped with this.

Well done you.

keep up the good work... Isn't there a star or something I can give you on here?!

Well done you.

keep up the good work... Isn't there a star or something I can give you on here?!

No but a bit of gratitude for the sage advice I gave you two years ago would be nice. Keep up this spoilt, ungrateful behaviour and your bird will be off getting pounded by someone else before you can say 'is it really worth it' and we'll be back to square one this time next year.

• 11 months later...