A rallying call

Weston Super Saint

wrong,he is a fan that doesnt contribute,he is a fan that whinges and moans about the state of the club and how we dont have any money but is not willing to put his hand in his pocket to help out his club when it is needed the most.

he says he doesnt want to go whilst lowe is in charge,and wont buy a ticket but will go if it is free..........just tell me how that is a fan?

you can bet your life that if we get a good cup run (very unlikely i know) he will be the first in the queue to try and get a ticket and also be the loudest moaner when he realises he cant get one.

if you want that type of fan at the club then you are deluded.

we need paying fans who support the club through thick and thin,i can even tolerate part time fans/casual supporters,but freeloaders are just parasites.

utter tripe is all i can really be bothered to say in response...

it's a football club...people can choose to come along and watch if they want to...if not then so be it...there's no obligation to go to every game when you start supporting a team...

and in all seriousness you must know that every club is not supported by uber fans that turn up through thick and thin...

Yes but by those standards you'd have to blame the students and teens as well. They get the same price.Seniors are oft the people with the most money nowadays, index linked pension schemes be praised.

don't get me started on the teens and students...

they have the audacity to spend money on booze and women instead of watching a sh:t game of football...they make me wanna go on a killing spree...

So then this season's attendance is conditional on last seasons performances. A ST (early bird) on the half way line is £500 or £22 per home game. On the "March Madness" scheme it would have been about £80 less I expect,so the home game cost about £18.50. Interest free credit to boot I think.

There is no validity in this ticket price guff, not if you were a season ticket holder and could have renewed uner the MM scheme. That the football was crap, now that I do buy. Big money team that has nigh on bankrupted the club for tinpot dire performances, yep that explains it very well;Last season we were catastrophically badly run, neither of the present incumbent was involved with that....Dodd and Gorman what a fook up supreme.We were bad under Burley, should have been sacked early on,wasn't, then he left and we got the comedy duo when there were plenty of cheap candidates waiting in the wings. If we'd got Pearson THEN, he might still be here.

Well a lot last season depended on what was happening in the board room in regards to those going for early bird deals. I have to be honest and say i waited before buying mine as was unsure if i would renew or pick and choose games i go to and just pay for those. I think most people thought like that really. And no the performances don't determine if you buy the ticket or not but how much you thik it's worth. If you are a team going for promotion with a team who are established and a manager who is known etc.. then yeah you would pay those prices. Love or hate Burley the season before he had got us to the playoffs and i think paying the prices was justified. Majority of the games we got value for money. However last season was just **** and does not warrent the price people had paid. This season even with the early bird price of £500 that is a rip off. Take into account similar teams. Norwich = £366. (£15 per game) Coventry = £390 (£16 per game) Barnsley = £260 (£11 per game) etc.. etc.. We are a team that is in big trouble with a team largely of last year reserves and a manager who has near zero experience in top league football. Add to that we came off of a season where we survived by the skin of our teeth from going down. You can't sit there and say we should be paying nearly double what teams around us pay is fair? That is just crazy.

wrong,he is a fan that doesnt contribute,he is a fan that whinges and moans about the state of the club and how we dont have any money but is not willing to put his hand in his pocket to help out his club when it is needed the most.

he says he doesnt want to go whilst lowe is in charge,and wont buy a ticket but will go if it is free..........just tell me how that is a fan?

you can bet your life that if we get a good cup run (very unlikely i know) he will be the first in the queue to try and get a ticket and also be the loudest moaner when he realises he cant get one.

if you want that type of fan at the club then you are deluded.

we need paying fans who support the club through thick and thin,i can even tolerate part time fans/casual supporters,but freeloaders are just parasites.

Im with you on this, if he only will go if it is free what good is he to the finacial health of the club.

I dont want to go down the road of saying that there should be no freebies as that caused a lot of unneccessary grief last time but we need all hands on the pumps.

What you're saying is Steve, is that some clubs are being more imaginative in their pricing policy in order to attract supporters.

I wasn't offering any analysis of the figures, to be honest, but yes, that's certainly a view I would agree with.

The idea at the time of removing the different pricing categories following the first season of Championship football was based on a bizarre situation where games against Crystal Palace and Norwich were both actually more expensive in the Championship than they had been in the Premier League due to them being moved from a "Bronze" rated game in the PL but a "Gold" rated game in the CCC. If we'd been flying high in the league for the whole season in 06/07, the standard price wouldn't have bothered people too much as they were watching a winning team, but to have the same price for games against Birmingham and Blackpool doesn't really make an awful lot of sense.

I see many of them have a big ticket cost range. I think Saints could do something more along these lines without alienating season ticket holders.

I'm not sure they'd be able to do anything this season as it could just confuse matters. Also, I don't think we'd really want to be putting the prices UP for any games at the moment, but the club have made it clear they're not in a position to reduce the prices for any games either.

Well a lot last season depended on what was happening in the board room in regards to those going for early bird deals. I have to be honest and say i waited before buying mine as was unsure if i would renew or pick and choose games i go to and just pay for those. I think most people thought like that really. And no the performances don't determine if you buy the ticket or not but how much you thik it's worth. If you are a team going for promotion with a team who are established and a manager who is known etc.. then yeah you would pay those prices. Love or hate Burley the season before he had got us to the playoffs and i think paying the prices was justified. Majority of the games we got value for money. However last season was just **** and does not warrent the price people had paid. This season even with the early bird price of £500 that is a rip off. Take into account similar teams. Norwich = £366. (£15 per game) Coventry = £390 (£16 per game) Barnsley = £260 (£11 per game) etc.. etc.. We are a team that is in big trouble with a team largely of last year reserves and a manager who has near zero experience in top league football. Add to that we came off of a season where we survived by the skin of our teeth from going down. You can't sit there and say we should be paying nearly double what teams around us pay is fair? That is just crazy.
If that pricing is correct then it shows what a terrible financial mess we have got into.I dont beleieve that if the tickets were £10 we would get lots more fans to make up for the halving of prices.

Its fine now for clubs like Charlton or Norwich but knowing the fans from here if the tickets were £10 and we got PL next season they bloody wouldnt accept the price trebling and we would have the same old moans of the club ripping us off.

The other clubs are askig for financial suicide if they keep their prices at that level, as I noticed Charlton were not filled up even at that rate.

How is it "nearly double" then compared to say Coventry. presume (and I'm not going to check this) that £390 is the price for exactly the same category of ticket. A matchday ticket at Coventry is £24 same as us.We had march madness when our tickets were the same price as Coventry's.

it's a football club...people can choose to come along and watch if they want to...if not then so be it...there's no obligation to go to every game when you start supporting a team...

and in all seriousness you must know that every club is not supported by uber fans that turn up through thick and thin...

you are missing the point,im all for filling the ground even if that means letting people in for a knock down price,but for a supposed fan to turn round and say that they will not attend whilst RL is in charge then go to a game because it is free is a bit rich imo.

you are missing the point,im all for filling the ground even if that means letting people in for a knock down price,but for a supposed fan to turn round and say that they will not attend whilst RL is in charge then go to a game because it is free is a bit rich imo.

no i understand you're point perfectly well...and yes he does sound like a bit of a turd to be honest...it just the driving him away comment that i take exception to...he's a plastic fan...in the ideal world we'd have an army of fans desperate to follow the team through the good and the bad...sadly this isn't the case...it certainly doesn't surprise me however...

Well, after reading this thread, the Nick I rallying call and the soap box fiasco that was Steve Grants attempt at understanding the situation, I almost felt compelled to write my reasons for not going, once again, because many, as represented by these 3 outlined examples, do not listen!

I gave my reasons for not going anymore when Lowe returned. I repeated myself several times over the summer and into the new season and still, many people do not listen to what has been said. Instead, they resort to sweeping rationalisations and finger pointing in order to what? Persuade me to go against my principals? Persuade me that Lowe is really a nice man if I actually spoke to him? Get a refund on my holiday or my the other articles that I have bought my wife? Maybe return the new clothes I bought my little girl, her toys? Or maybe I should no longer spend Saturday with my little girl having a 'Daddy day' that she never used to get?

What these people do not understand is that I now do different things. When I'm not going to watch Saints, I don't sit here, online or watching the vidi-printer, I go out, I'm doing stuff. Replacing Saints isn't about sitting in a darkened room until 4:45 passes and then I rejoin social life. I have made a lifestyle change. Football is no longer a central point in my life, for the first time since I could walk and talk. That is massive, that is huge, that is change that will effect my life forever.

And although Steve Grant touched upon it in his own naive, self indulgent manner, that I won't be coming back and Nick I and others on here think that it's just a case of going 'oh, ok, I'll come back because you asked so nicely', it's not going to happen. And like I said, that doesn't just mean I won't be watching Saints anymore, neither will my father, neither will my daughter, neither will my nephew, nor will their friends, who I would also take to make it fun, and then nor will my childrens children, and my childrens children friends, etc etc.

And this is sad.

Some will try and turn this around and say that this means that Lowe wins and that he can ruin this club and the sport he hates. Well, for me, he already has. Whilst talking about Lowe, just want to clear up that pro-Lowe myth:

I DO NOT THINK MY MONEY 'LINES' LOWES POCKETS!!!!

How many more times do I have to repeat myself? And whilst I'm talking about repeating myself, I'm going to stop now because repeating myself for the umpteenth time is not why I'm posting. I'm posting because some of those mentioned at the start of this post, just don't get it. As many of you know, I am happy for those that go, to still go. I have no problem with people supporting Lowe, that's their prerogative. And yet pigs will fly before many on here give me that same respect.

FWIW, if a product is ailing and needs an injection of cash, a sale is a good thing. It brings back customers that have forgotten why they regularly paid for said product and therefore, with the hope that they will become loyal again at the original price.

Reducing prices at SMS will therefore be meaningless because more people will come for that one game, but, unlike sale items that are trying to recapture customer loyalty, our product is not up to scratch. And the truth is, if we have 'one of those days' and play poorly and lose, those extra bums on cheap seats will NEVER return.

IMO, Lowe ruined this club and I will NEVER give him my mandate to rule through my money. Passive acceptance or positive reinforcement of that mandate is the only thing that keeps Lowe in charge.

Well you have given your reasons why you will not attend, however spending 3-4 hours a fortnight watching your team is not excessive and can certainly be squeezed into any family's programme but I cannot see how you know your daughter, nephew, grandchildren etc will not attend in the future unless you are going to brainwash them. What happens when your daughter when in her teens ask you to take her to SMS, will you say no because of YOUR principles. Grow up ffs, you can still have family values for the remaining 330 odd hours in the fortnight.

I couldn't agree more. It will be a combination of events, both on and off the field, that get the crowds returning en masse.

How is it "nearly double" then compared to say Coventry. presume (and I'm not going to check this) that £390 is the price for exactly the same category of ticket. A matchday ticket at Coventry is £24 same as us.We had march madness when our tickets were the same price as Coventry's.

http://www.ccfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SeasonTickets/0,,10269,00.html

If you check you see it works in a different way to ours, it is not about tiers it is about time. If you see it says season ticket cost £390 if you buy BEFORE 1st August. So thats in Coventry's case £110 cheaper then ours. Then after that date it goes up to £470 and then £499. Still £144 cheaper then taking a ticket at our club late. Then for people paying on the day the ticket is £22 for an adult. See now Coventry have a named manager and a few good players, think they are in a playoff spot and doin ok. Things have got better for them in comparison to most of us who were near the bottom last year. So in contrast i'd say £390 for a season ticket is quite good value. Are we really being realistic by saying for the early birds you can pay £110 more and the late people can pay £274 more then Coventry fans? That is not right at all.

I have said before as a season ticket holder i would be happy to lose the money i have paid this season if they reduce the entry price to something comparable to our actual situation for the people buying tickets. It makes no sense to keep the stadium empty and charge people £24 to £28 to see us play, were not worth that. If the stadium was heaving full of people and there was a high demand to see us play then of course you can charge that. That is what happened at the dell. But times have changed and our position in english football has changed. People today don't see clubs as charitys, they wont give their cash away simply because they support a club. They want value for money and right now they are not getting it. I really hope we have a big turn out tommorow i really do.

My first post as a full member so I'm wondering who to upset. Having already upset some on another now closed thread it might not be difficult.

Steve Grant wrote a very good post and I must admit made me think(painful). I have advocated cut prices to help bring back some of the missing. I note his point about the lost revenue from those already intending to watch. My option though is not quite as simple as cutting prices. I would suggest a longer trial. One would need to purchase three tickets to get a free one. Tickets would need to run consecutively so each person would have to watch three home games on the trot before being able to claim their freeby. People who are regularly at the games would be able to purchase the tickets at the same time, if showing previous ticket receipts.

The gates are dropping slowly, as low as they are, and might still drop lower. Barring the odd big game the trend is likely to continue unless we can buck the trend. Even if the club lost slightly with my proposal there is nothing to say that the gates would have stayed at the current level. If a few hundred plus were to return the bigger gate should encourage the team and quite possibly shout them home to a victory or two. Winning breeds confidence and that is in supporter's eyes as well. A few wins and hey presto we are seeing bigger gates and more enjoyable football.

An alternative would be to do what teams like West Ham, Millwall and Charlton have done. Issue new shares. Though it would be difficult in the present climate it is conceivable that there are still people who would purchase shares for our club. It might have one drawback though and that is Lowe and co would own a smaller share of the club. Unles they buy them themselves. A smaller holding could put us back on an uneven keel with more infighting among the board members and share holders. The advantage in a share issue is that whilst moneymen may be hard to borrow from, it is possible they might choose the alternative. I would imagine owning shares is a much more enjoyable choice.

As you may have guessed I am not a moneyman. I am in fact struggling financially but I will be at the game against Watford. Being a pensioner I get a reduction so any thoughts that I might be trying to gain personally are off course. I only care about our club. Southampton FC is our club and is only being run by Lowe and co on a temporary basis.

Originally Posted by Wes Tender

If they stay away because of their dislike of Lowe and Wilde, or because of perceived lack of value for their money, then the solution to those reasons puts the ball back in the court of the board.

I've got to ask this though, Wes.

What you are saying is that to get fans back, Lowe and Wilde have to leave, to get fans back.

Sorry, I don't get it.

Not entirely, although those two failures leaving would undoubtedly be the best solution to the problem of disunity that is hampering our forward progress. But I've said many times that something also needs to be done about pricing before those who claim that they do not come to matches because they do not see it as good value will return.

Steve Grant:If we'd been flying high in the league for the whole season in 06/07, the standard price wouldn't have bothered people too much as they were watching a winning team, but to have the same price for games against Birmingham and Blackpool doesn't really make an awful lot of sense.....

I'm not sure they'd be able to do anything this season as it could just confuse matters. Also, I don't think we'd really want to be putting the prices UP for any games at the moment, but the club have made it clear they're not in a position to reduce the prices for any games either.

The debate on prices has made interesting reading with several good points made and some useful suggestions. But a couple of things that Steve touched on here help to highlight the problem. Why should there be a hierarchy of games in the Premiership and not one in the Fizzy pop league? Why should it cost the same to watch Birmingham or Reading as it does to watch Doncaster or Blackpool? But the problem goes even deeper than that. The board want to charge the same rate as if the matches were against Premiership opposition, exactly as they did after relegation, but attempting to comfort us that we would get and extra 4 games for free. On the basis that Premiership prices were either Gold, Silver, or Bronze, then prices now ought to be Brass, Copper or Tin, if I've got that in the right order. And then some allowance should be made that the team has been robbed of the established bigger names and substituted with last year's youngsters who could have been watched playing a year ago for free.

And the fact that the club has made it clear that they are in no position to put prices down for any games just goes to prove what a bunch of unimaginative people that we have running our club. There have been several good suggestions of ways that offers could be made that would generate some positive results, but if they're too short-sighted to see it, then the sooner they're gone, the better.

And although Steve Grant touched upon it in his own naive, self indulgent manner, that I won't be coming back and Nick I and others on here think that it's just a case of going 'oh, ok, I'll come back because you asked so nicely', it's not going to happen. And like I said, that doesn't just mean I won't be watching Saints anymore, neither will my father, neither will my daughter, neither will my nephew, nor will their friends, who I would also take to make it fun, and then nor will my childrens children, and my childrens children friends, etc etc.

What a very sad and ridiculous statement. Let's hope they have a little bit more common sense and pride than you appear to have. Stick your principles where the sun don't shine if you feel the need to put future generations off supporting the club. Get a grip FFS

Sheffield game on Tuesday is only a £10 for adults!

I still won't be going as I have lost the will to spend time and money at the moment.

For all those "fans staying away because of the current regime" who are concerned about starving the club of income. Show your loyalty and contribute to a "neutral account" and show the board the size of your committment.

If the so called 10,000 fans who are staying away because of Lowe and Co. and didn't but season tickets - put the money into one account. 10,000 x 300 for the season ticket = £3,000,000. No that says something to any potential investor - or creditor like Barclays!

Who's in?

The warchest could be for the new regime - from the fans!

Sheffield game on Tuesday is only a £10 for adults!

I still won't be going as I have lost the will to spend time and money at the moment.

For all those "fans staying away because of the current regime" who are concerned about starving the club of income. Show your loyalty and contribute to a "neutral account" and show the board the size of your committment.

If the so called 10,000 fans who are staying away because of Lowe and Co. and didn't but season tickets - put the money into one account. 10,000 x 300 for the season ticket = £3,000,000. No that says something to any potential investor - or creditor like Barclays!

Who's in?

The warchest could be for the new regime - from the fans!

now something the Trust could promote rather than spouting of in the Echo

Sorry about the spelling mistakes in my previous posts but I think this could gain some momentum given the right promotion.

I don't thnik the Trust is the right body - something about the name and throwing in with Wilde last time around, and having no ideas for themselves. I am also suspicious of any "business" or "individual" as £3m is a lot of temptation.

There are too many scallywags about - so who can you trust to genuinely look after the money in the interim?

Perhaps a group of trustees and from all walks of life, all classes and all over the world. Everyone has to sign to agree any transfer or withdrawl from such an account. Surely there must be 5/6 people who care enough!

I had a bit of a try at raising the topic in The Echo forum the other night - I'm still not for contributing to the current regime in charge but I don't want to be labelled as a fan who killed the club because he didn't go to SMS.

We have a very limited audience on here, infact on line is only a small % of fans represented. Apathy is what will kill our club - sitting back and doing nothing will give us exactly what we deserve.

I've made a suggestion, seems it has some legs, if anyone wants to discuss further over the internet via e-mail just indicate through a PM. Do they still exist to non-members? No e-mail address will be posted or mobile phone number - but some of you probably have details from previous encounters.

It may seem a lot of work to get this sort of thing up and running - but surely if you have a passion for the club, but not the way it is being run - it makes a statement that no board can ignore. A vote of "NO CONFIDENCE" would surely follow, and then we would be in a position to attract further investment once Lord Lowe and his cronies have gone.

Who's in?

Not me, I'm going to the game. TBH the last thing the club needs is a group of fans arguing with each other about how best to use the money. It would only further division, not improve things.

Sorry about the spelling mistakes in my previous posts but I think this could gain some momentum given the right promotion.

I don't thnik the Trust is the right body - something about the name and throwing in with Wilde last time around, and having no ideas for themselves. I am also suspicious of any "business" or "individual" as £3m is a lot of temptation.

There are too many scallywags about - so who can you trust to genuinely look after the money in the interim?

Perhaps a group of trustees and from all walks of life, all classes and all over the world. Everyone has to sign to agree any transfer or withdrawl from such an account. Surely there must be 5/6 people who care enough!

I had a bit of a try at raising the topic in The Echo forum the other night - I'm still not for contributing to the current regime in charge but I don't want to be labelled as a fan who killed the club because he didn't go to SMS.

We have a very limited audience on here, infact on line is only a small % of fans represented. Apathy is what will kill our club - sitting back and doing nothing will give us exactly what we deserve.

I've made a suggestion, seems it has some legs, if anyone wants to discuss further over the internet via e-mail just indicate through a PM. Do they still exist to non-members? No e-mail address will be posted or mobile phone number - but some of you probably have details from previous encounters.

It may seem a lot of work to get this sort of thing up and running - but surely if you have a passion for the club, but not the way it is being run - it makes a statement that no board can ignore. A vote of "NO CONFIDENCE" would surely follow, and then we would be in a position to attract further investment once Lord Lowe and his cronies have gone.

The fundamental problem we have AT THE MOMENT is what happened in the global money markets in the last 3 weeks. Nobody is spending anything at the moment, because if they have assets, they are plunging in value faster than our Goal Difference in televised games. If they have CASH they are spreading it around the world into as many guaranteed accounts as they can.

for the next few weeks, even ASSUMING that the shareholders would give the club away for a quid, NOBOBY will come knocking at the door.

(Even Federer commented on it - Roger Federer, the richest tennis player of all time, joked on Friday that a "big mattress" could be his salvation from the current world financial meltdown.

Just two days after topping the all-time tennis rich list with a staggering 43.29 million dollars in career prize money, the 27-year-old Swiss revealed at the Madrid Masters that he keeps a close eye on the turbulence in the world money markets.

"It's not been whole lot of fun for anyone," said the multi-millionaire who puts faith in conservative money management

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20081017/ten-my-money-s-heading-for-a-mattress-jo-9700fcb.html)

So we then come back to the issue that staying away is a valid protest and is having an effect, but RIGHT NOW it actually drives the club closer to the wall. Again, even IF we went into admin (as some people wrongly hope) NOBODY will dip their hands in their pockets while the world is screwed, so we may never come out.

There must be other better ways maybe something as simple as to get some T-shirts made up, go to home games with the "I'm only here to help my CLUB through the global crisis and up yours shareholders", then as SOON as things settle down and investors can start to spend money you can all stop going again.

Whatever is done, our mess is just a sh*tty mix of everything going wrong at the same time and i worry we may not survive long enough for somebody to be able to pick up the pieces

the problem is nobody wants to buy our club,we are not an attractive acquisition when the money is flowing freely around the world,so we are even less attractive in these hard financial times.

the sad truth is that all of the 'stay-aways' as well as the attending fans will be labeled as the 'fans who bought the club to its knees' if the sh1t really does hit the fan.

the stay aways (the ones who stay away because of lowe and wilde) should be ashamed of themselves,to stay away because of your dislike of one man is senseless.

you are depriving your club of much needed finances which could make us slightly more attractive to any investors out there.depriving the club of your money is either going to force lowe to stay longer to try and rescue his investment or force the club into admin so where is the sense?

you can be sure that that there are no investors out there willing to invest in us and if there are then they will be no better than what we have imo

its time for the stay aways to put all of their differences behind them and start spending some money,they have to think back to the reasons that they started to support saints in the first place and how much pleasure the team has given them over the years.

the reality is that lowe and wilde are here and will be until somebody buys them out (very unlikely) or the club goes down the pan(very likely) but in the meantime the club is crying out for your support financially and vocally.

the fantasy is that the stay aways think that their actions will lead us to the promised land and rid our club of the undesirables (very very unlikely,unless admin looms large).

What a very sad and ridiculous statement. Let's hope they have a little bit more common sense and pride than you appear to have. Stick your principles where the sun don't shine if you feel the need to put future generations off supporting the club. Get a grip FFS

Being an idiot doesn't help your argument. Think about it for just one second and maybe the sun will shine out of your a*se and you'll get a moment of clarity.

My daughter is 3 very soon, and my nephew has just turned 2. Now, I'm sure at 3 years old, you were able to go to games on your own, but I won't let my daughter go on her own just yet. Hence, she needs me to take her. I'm not going but at 3 years old, she's hardly in a position to be choosing her own football team yet, and I don't even know if she will be watching football. So, it's all hypothetical (it's in the dictionary under 'h').

But, if you father doesn't 'persuade' or 'influence' your choice of football teams and doesn't take you to games from an early age, you're probably more likely to support Man U or Arsenal than Saints. It isn't about me 'putting her off' supporting Saints, those are your words and your exaggerated interpretation of my view, it's about not influencing her against supporting Arsenal or Man U and choosing Saints instead, how can I, I won't go myself, so that would be a tad hypocritical (again, under 'h').

So, please, get a grip yourself and stop being such a ridiculous idiot.

I have my point of view, I stated it, if you have a point of view, why don't you state it, or maybe it'll make you look more stupid than you already do, unlikely, but it is possible!

Perhaps ilingworths rallying call should have been aimed at the players instead. Truely pathetic

Aye. Two thoughts came to me on my drive back from Salzburg this evening after hearing the result from SMS.

1. Attendance figures will plummet further - the next Northern Monkey team we play at home, especially mid-week, will see a new record low by some margin

2. How does Nick feel this evening, after wiping off the egg on his face, thrown by players, manager and PLC chairman he has been so toadying up to in recent times ?