How much do you rate/like nige..?

Thedelldays

Just dug up what I wrote last Sep before he came......

"I'll look forward to Adkins if he does finally turn up.

He has a track record of getting out of this league with scant resources and comes across as a decent, intelligent and honorable guy. I really like the sound of him.

To those of you who question whether he is prem material may I remind you that we are in league 1 and will never get to the prem if we don't get out of league 1.

One step at at time please folks."

Yup, still agree with that.

Agree with this. Lets see how he gets on in the NPC folks. First signs look good but we haven't had to deal with adversity here yet.

As you are aware, last season and the results have been discussed on here in detail.

I am interested in this season and I consider results in the NPC with our current squad to be a much greater achievement than results last season.

so, 16 wins out of 18 is something we cant praise our man for and think he is great...pardew never got close to that at all and you think he is the muts nuts no doubt

Anyone worried he might jump ship (bus) if a prem club come looking?

That doesn't worry me at all

Nigel appears to be a guy of great integrity, who puts a value on loyalty.

Realistically, he stayed at S****horpe longer than he needed to, but he felt a duty towards them

I think he will be the same with us. Sure, he's ambitious, but I'm convinced he'd rather get there with Saints, rather than jump ship now

Totally and definitely disagree with this statement. Pards was out of his depth - tactically off the pace and technically too old school. His signings were good but had no idea what on earth to do with them........

Tactically he was very poor. He did have Paul Ince in his pocket, but I doubt I would bother putting that on the resume. Pardew flapped a lot and I am sure that got through to the players. I remember when he used the -10 as the reason things were not going for us, only to be picked up and repeated by the players. But after -10 you would always have a while on the -ve, then a while at the bottom, then a while in the bottom 3. Just dumb to use that as an excuse and something the players can hide behind. There were several times where Pardew would become exasperated with the players hoofing, but it still went on. With Adkins it took a couple of early substitutions and the message got through. To be fair to Pardew we played some of the best football under him, but the nature of it meant we could never keep it up for long enough, even against minor opposition when playing twice a week.

I liked Adkins last season, but never really felt he was anything exceptional. He needed to go on a good run for that and leaving it to the very last minute, that is exactly what he did. I don't know exactly how he did this, but full praise for bringing it about. So far this season he is different gravy, sorting out the midfield which had malfunctioned for most of last season. What has particularly impressed is the work he has done pre season and putting out a team in the prime of fitness and preparedness. We have a lot of resources at SMS, but Adkins looks to have wrung the maximum from every aspect.

The one area I don't agree with Adkins is the faith he has in Lambert. As much as I like Ricky and his support for the team, I believe he is the weak link especially playing against decent opposition away from home. We need a striker who can take on the opposition off their own back, something I rarely see from Ricky.

so, 16 wins out of 18 is something we cant praise our man for and think he is great...pardew never got close to that at all and you think he is the muts nuts no doubt

I see you are putting words in people's mouths again, something you like to do to try and win an argument. I think last season we got a great return, but also I feel our squad was vastly superior to those in that league and so we should have expected a number of wins. (We have been over and over this as you are aware and this is old ground.)

I have been consistent in my stance that this season is when Adkins will truly be judged. It is when his job gets much harder and when we will really see if he can be a longterm success here or just a short term fix to get us out of league one. The initial signs are very encouraging and I hope that we continue in a similar vein for the rest of the season.

The only are we could criticise him for last season was his ability to bring quality in. His transfers this summer are contrary to that.

This is a results game, and NA has come in and got the results we need. At this juncture he is doing a VERY good job, and I think we have exactly the right man at the moment.

For what it is worth, I don't think we would be doing as well under Pardew.

The guy can certainly pull the squad together and I can't fault him for that.

I am interested to see how he gets on in this league with a 'bigger club with bigger expectations', even dropping down a league last season he admitted that it was in theory, a massive step forward. He does like to use sports science and I think thats starting to pay off and I also agree with a previous comment about the way he's got DC fit and enjoying football again, I believe his faith in getting DC fit could be his best move yet.

That doesn't worry me at all

Nigel appears to be a guy of great integrity, who puts a value on loyalty.

Realistically, he stayed at S****horpe longer than he needed to, but he felt a duty towards them

I think he will be the same with us. Sure, he's ambitious, but I'm convinced he'd rather get there with Saints, rather than jump ship now

Yeah I agree (hopefully)

The guy can certainly pull the squad together and I can't fault him for that.

I am interested to see how he gets on in this league with a 'bigger club with bigger expectations', even dropping down a league last season he admitted that it was in theory, a massive step forward. He does like to use sports science and I think thats starting to pay off and I also agree with a previous comment about the way he's got DC fit and enjoying football again, I believe his faith in getting DC fit could be his best move yet.

He's a great fit for us in that respect. NC is a very forward thinking Chairman and wants to embrace all of the sport science/football development side of things, I think you find some managers don't like that and want to do it their own old fashioned way. I think this was some of the issue with Pardew.

With Adkins he embraces it, he's a forward thinking manager and very modern in his approach to everything which is exactly what this club needs at the moment. The players look as fit and trim as I've seen them for a long time, and this pre-seasons has benefited from being arranged by a former physio. He knows what he's on about when it comes to player conditioning.

He's a great fit for us in that respect. NC is a very forward thinking Chairman and wants to embrace all of the sport science/football development side of things, I think you find some managers don't like that and want to do it their own old fashioned way. I think this was some of the issue with Pardew.

With Adkins he embraces it, he's a forward thinking manager and very modern in his approach to everything which is exactly what this club needs at the moment. The players look as fit and trim as I've seen them for a long time, and this pre-seasons has benefited from being arranged by a former physio. He knows what he's on about when it comes to player conditioning.

I think what I am seeing with NA is the TEAM ethic. And that is not simply about the 11 on the pitch or the 22 in the squad, but that he understands that he cannot be an expert on everything and seems to have faith in the entire backroom staff as well. His praise for his assistants as an example, his (OK cliched) use of the we all the time. He is obviously "The Boss" but seems to delegate responsibility - to the players on the pitch and to the team around him.

He has also managed to extend that team ethic to us, he's got (most of) us on the bus, but he isn't carried away, he knows and lets us know that it is all about hard work first.

There are many books written about Leadership, but what I am starting to see in NA is Followership, he is not crowing about the unbeaten run, the ego stays pretty firmly parked and he seems to understand what he can and cannot "ask NC" for.

Compare that to the moaning and whining that AP has been in the press with following the debacle of Newcastle's pre-season. That's two poor pre-seasons in a row now for him (although he did get the draw yesterday).

I'm not going to say he is a messiah or even the best manager in the NpC, just that right now, he has been clever enough to see what needed to be done, and has gone and done it.

I'll take that, I'm sure he'll make mistakkes this season and moaners will be on his back (maybe even me). But right now? Would not swap him for anyone. The Ego's have finally left our club.

THAT's what I'm luvvin at the moment

Well done NA..........So far sooooooo good and everything going in the right direction...

I was one of the doubters when he was given the job.....more than happy to admit he has proven me so wrong

and derry boy soooo right..(only thing that derry has ever got right and I believe it was a guess on his part:rolleyes:)

One area that I believe that NA has highlighted..... Morgan in centre midfield.....a young player developing but who was never ready to take the strain at his stage of his career.

Many of his fans on this forum were correct...Morgan is a very good player and will in my opinion develop into a top team player...hopefully at Saints...

HOPING HE SIGNS A NEW CONTRACT?????? AND CONTINUES IN OUR SQUAD/TEAM

NA by aquiring Cork and continuing to see the great value Hammond gives the side in the middle....particularly the combination of the two as the right unit for our style of play..

Great to have the likes of Morgan and Chappers around to utilise at the right time in games...Morgan could further develop with us by watching and playing with Cork and Hammond..

Most would disagree...but I believe we will need a further midfield player in the middle

for the season ahead.. ie suspensions, injuries , form, tactics etc etc....Chappers for exampleand ........For me that player would be Howson from Leeds...

Well done NA and NC for the brave choice of our Manager...

Good guess derry boy;)

Ps The decision to retain David Connolly for this season albeit after a good end to the season.....

Shrewd, clever, astute..or very lucky.....Whatever brave and commendable on the part of The Manager and CEO...

Well done NA and NC 10 / 10 keep up the good work.....

Edited by ottery st mary
spellin and correction

I am very interested in the way his sports psychology degree is seeming to be effective. Something has certainly happened in the way the players are responding and reacting. He seems like a great bloke, and a fairly reasonable tactician, but excels at player management.

As Phil said, I would not swap him for anyone. That bears some thinking about.....If you had the chance to replace him with any other manager, would you? At this particular time, and in this situation at the moment I think it would be crazy to even consider anyone else for his position. That says it all for me.

Just dug up what I wrote last Sep before he came......

"I'll look forward to Adkins if he does finally turn up.

He has a track record of getting out of this league with scant resources and comes across as a decent, intelligent and honorable guy. I really like the sound of him.

To those of you who question whether he is prem material may I remind you that we are in league 1 and will never get to the prem if we don't get out of league 1.

One step at at time please folks."

Yup, still agree with that.

I feel he's the right kind of manager for us, and given the ups and downs we've had over the last 5 years, it's good to have our club back as one we can be proud of that goes about things the right way.....for years, we were a lot of people's 'second' team, or at least one which other fans admired for the right reasons, stability, family atmosphere, passionate but respectful.....it was a huge backwards step when we lost our way and our sense of direction in the Lowe years.....yes, it's far too early to be talking about promotion but results speak for themselves, there's a great feeling around the club and we're all on here generally being positive about our club so I think it's as good as it can be at the moment....

Think he's a great bloke and love his managerial style; the scientific approach and adaptable tactics. That said' date='[b'] I think he should grow a 'tache again[/b]! ^^^

NO NO and NO!!!

The Scousers would suddenly spot him as one of their own and be in for him in a flash.

Calm down, calm down. :spaz:

can't bear to listen to his interviews, but actions speak louder than words. Liked the appointment at the time and still like the appointment now. Anyone else find that h makes the exact same subs as you think he should abut 2 minutes after you thought he should make them. When a manager starts doing that you know you have a good un.