Nile Ranger

once_bitterne

Maybe he's looking for a move to QPR?

As if we havent got enough gits at the moment, maybe we could bring Savage out of retirement too!

There was talk about it at the end of last season but I wanted no part of him, posing with a gun, beating people up, he will end up in non league football.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha! It's hilarious that you're all posting complements about how he has cleaned himself up, because if you do a search on him (I did) you can find he has actually done a few bad things recently (ok, not so bad but still he's not perfect)!!!!

For example:

He beat someone up a few weeks ago(!!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-14691913

And then only today he's been arrested for drink driving

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-14878565

Funny old world!!!

It's like a spreading disease caused by too much money, too much adulation, too much ego and nowhere near enough common sense.

I don't think Ranger should be treated any more harshly by the courts than "Joe Public" would be, but he shouldn't be treated any more leniently, either, as footballers often are.

And the same goes for any other player in a similar situation. Even one of ours.

Given the Club's treatment of Puncheon, I still can't help but wonder how much of Barney's continuing absence really is injury-related.

Ha ha! It's hilarious that you're all posting complements about how he has cleaned himself up, because if you do a search on him (I did) you can find he has actually done a few bad things recently (ok, not so bad but still he's not perfect)!!!!

For example:

Funny old world!!!

Woosh.

It's like a spreading disease caused by too much money, too much adulation, too much ego and nowhere near enough common sense.

I don't think Ranger should be treated any more harshly by the courts than "Joe Public" would be, but he shouldn't be treated any more leniently, either, as footballers often are.

And the same goes for any other player in a similar situation. Even one of ours.

Given the Club's treatment of Puncheon, I still can't help but wonder how much of Barney's continuing absence really is injury-related.

Different things I'd say Puncheon was an arse at trainning (or so the rumour goes) hence the treatment. Barney was in the wrong place at the wrong time ( although how much he was to blame hasn't yet been established) there is no indication that Barney has ever given less than 100% on the pitch or at trainning or ever fallen out with NA.

For example:

Funny old world!!!

Went over your head like an Ali Dia cross, didn't it. ;)

Different things I'd say Puncheon was an arse at trainning (or so the rumour goes) hence the treatment. Barney was in the wrong place at the wrong time ( although how much he was to blame hasn't yet been established) there is no indication that Barney has ever given less than 100% on the pitch or at trainning or ever fallen out with NA.

Fair comment, but what I was trying to say is that I think there are "standards" at the club now. Both Adkins and Cortese seem like very principled people, and they have a vision for how the Club should function in all its forms. If you don't fit into that and the 'rules' that go along with it, you're probably out or on the way out.

Or, in the case of some near-signings, you don't get in. With no evidence at all, I still have a hunch that we walked away from at least one near-signing because he raised concerns in some kind of "interview" situation.

And if this is how the Club works now, I'm delighted to see it. I certainly don't know that Barney has fallen afoul of this - I just wonder.

Edited by CanadaSaint

Fair comment, but what I was trying to say is that I think there are "standards" at the club now. Both Adkins and Cortese seem like very principled people, and they have a vision for how the Club should function in all its forms. If you don't fit into that and the 'rules' that go along with it, you're probably out or on the way out.

Or, in the case of some near-signings, you don't get in. With no evidence at all, I still have a hunch that we walked away from at least one near-signing because he raised concerns in some kind of "interview" situation.

And if this is how the Club works now, I'm delighted to see it.

Yep I agree. I think it helps that a lot of our players feel (it seems to me) grateful for the chances SFC has given them coming from the lower leagues/ through youth system/ or off the scrapheap (ala Harding) they've seen the other side of the coin and realize they're onto a good thing at SFC. I suppose the higher up the leagues we go we will encounter more big time charlies.

I suppose the higher up the leagues we go we will encounter more big time charlies.

Sad, isn't it? On the one hand I'm dying to get there again, but on the other hand I'm dreading it.

Still, if those 'Club principles' are in place, and if NA and NC stick to them, I think we can buck the trend.

Its a great shame when a talented young player goes off the rails like Nile apparently has. Clearly needs some serious help and a good role model to harness his talent and keep him out of trouble. Unfortunately Newcastle Utd was/is not the place for a kid like him.

If only Barton and Nolan were there, he could have house shared with them.....

Sad, isn't it? On the one hand I'm dying to get there again, but on the other hand I'm dreading it.

Still, if those 'Club principles' are in place, and if NA and NC stick to them, I think we can buck the trend.

Arsenal seem to do this. Wenger rarely signs a player that ends up getting into trouble. (which is why he rarely signs English)

It made me laugh how Barton's agent was touting him as exactly the sort of player the Arse needed! Funnily enough no offer was forthcoming....

If only Barton and Nolan were there, he could have house shared with them.....

Don't forget Carroll as well. No wonder the kid has continued to go off the rails with all those angels around as role models (though he was clearly in a lot of trouble before he joined Newcastle or even for that matter before he joined us).