12th September 2010

Dazza82

Good shout.

Nigel is doing a great job; it has been a good time to be a Saints fan. Love some of the football we're playing at the moment - and think we made great signings over the summer.

Only niggles I'd have with Nige is that 90% of his interview material is recycled pap, and he seems incapable of uttering the word "Southampton", preferring "this football club". It's a bit like when you've got two ladies on the go, and call them "babe" to avoid calling one the wrong name.

He's done a great job, some will argue he did what was expected of him...but he was under enormous pressure due to the start we had to the season, and he got us flying by the end of it. So I think he deserves alot of credit for how he managed the squad through the 2nd half of that season.

We seem to have gone up a notch this year, last year was all about getting out of that league, this year seems to be about building/assembling a team that can grow and play in the premiership. I think the fact we're not playing under so much pressure has brought about some of the amazing, relaxed football we're playing.

I'm excited by the types of players we're being linked with, because it shows we're planning long-term and not going gung-ho like Leicester have - on players who are arguably championship standard at best.

...and also some of our players have improved so much under Nige, notably Rickie and his fitness/mobility and also Dan Seaborne who has got better and better IMO and I hope we see him again before long.

Good shout.

Nigel is doing a great job; it has been a good time to be a Saints fan. Love some of the football we're playing at the moment - and think we made great signings over the summer.

Only niggles I'd have with Nige is that 90% of his interview material is recycled pap, and he seems incapable of uttering the word "Southampton", preferring "this football club". It's a bit like when you've got two ladies on the go, and call them "babe" to avoid calling one the wrong name.

As many have said, that's a strategy - don't give anything away and just keep reinforcing the same "togetherness" message

Good shout.

I've heard him saying "Southampton Football Club" in interviews before.

What are the win/draw/lose stats in his first year? They must be impressive.

It's something like won loads and lost very little and as for draws I don't do them!

I'm not worried about losing him as he knows we are going to be a great club soon, even if he did leave Cortese is no mug.

And half the managers in the prem!

I'm not sure Nigel will be on the wanted list of many. Not due to merit, just the daft mentality of many top flight clubs. He's not a famous former player, not a glamourous name, not a big ego. He's off the radar to many I think. Even if he gets us up, which I think he will eventually, we'll be able to keep hold of him. As with Norwich, the key point comes later. If Lambert keeps them up, he may think he's done all he can there and may be offered bigger jobs. The same could happen with Nigel, although you'd hope we have plans to do well enough to keep him, ultimately progressing to a Bolton/Everton sort of level.

Bolton & Everton leve. they are both on the bones of their **** are'nt they. don't wan't to go back to those days again.l

It would be interesting to dig out the thread when he was appointed for the reactions

Which posters now appear genuis for being deleighted, and which posters have been made to look daft with their 'underwhelmed' line

Whack me in the underwhelmed category; I thought we were worse off than with Pardew and that it was a mistake. Happy to have my face rubbed in it though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that provided Cortese remains here for a reasonably substantial period of time and retains the financial backing required, Adkins will remain with us for a number of years. There has not been one smidgeon of gossip that has leaked to indicate that there is any disharmony between Adkins and Cortese. On the contrary SS Southampton appears to be a very happy ship from the Captain down to the cabin boy. There has not been this level of stability between the club, its management, the players and the fans for many years.

Long may it continue.

I have a sneaking suspicion that provided Cortese remains here for a reasonably substantial period of time and retains the financial backing required, Adkins will remain with us for a number of years. There has not been one smidgeon of gossip that has leaked to indicate that there is any disharmony between Adkins and Cortese. On the contrary SS Southampton appears to be a very happy ship from the Captain down to the cabin boy. There has not been this level of stability between the club, its management, the players and the fans for many years.

Long may it continue.

Actually, there has, but only just recently. Only gossip of course, but rumour of a bust up between the two of them due to losing out on Gorkss.

Good shout.

In one of his first interviews after the game against MK Dons we did say S****horpe instead of Southampton, but it must be hard after all the time he spent at the place.

He's done a remarkable job - we are playing the attractive football Markus wanted, Nige plays the game the right way (see Poyet) and we are winning more than we are losing, which is always nice.:)

Tis a great time to be a Saints fan - and to emphasise that I can currently hear Cotterill ranting like a deluded looney on Solent - apparently they were better than West Ham by a million miles and the ref got every decision wrong.

Happy days.

The future is red and white - as is the present!