Time is now up for Lowe & Wilde

Long Shot

Here are the minutes. There is not a lot of rocket science contained within but it does have Andrew Cowen proposing Lowe for a paid DoF role. I have highlighted that part which is the only change to the original.

Minutes of Meeting of Southampton Leisure Holdings plc Shareholders

Held at Runnymede Hotel, 14:00 14th November 2007

Present : Michael Wilde

Leon Crouch

Rupert Lowe

Andrew Cowen

Mike Richards

Patrick Trant

Stuart Green

Marc Jackson

1. SG opened the meeting by welcoming everyone and thanking them for their attendance. The meeting was a follow up to the previous meeting held at Careys Manor Hotel in Brockenhurst on 25th October 2007. The focus of the meeting was to be on the current position and future plans rather than historic events. This was to explore where a consensus of views could be agreed to establish an agreed joint course of action.

2. AC then suggested the Agenda items as follows:

a. SISU Offer – Still no contact to the questions raised in letter to the current board dated 26th October

b. Current Situation – Significant financial losses being incurred by the club and a real threat of administration

c. AGM – not yet announced but imminent

d. Forward Plan – What can be agreed

e. Current Board – What consensus there is amongst the shareholders on their current performance

f. Terms of Reference – What can be agreed to go forward

3. AC proposed that the terms of reference should focus on the following:

i. Reuniting the directors and shareholders to a common voice

ii. Having an executive that effectively represents the shareholders

iii. Any board should have expertise in the following areas

1. Primarily Football Management

2. Commercial Activity

3. Managing the Football Manager

4. Recruitment of young players into the Academy

5. Re-establishment of the Academy as a centre of excellence

From AC’s prespective the current financial situation is “heading over a cliff” and there is a window of opportunity to correct this, but only by taking decisive actions between now and the year end. There needs to be a commonality of purpose and the last two and a half years of division in the boardroom and amongst the key shareholders has to be put aside for the greater good.

AC proposed that MR would be an eminently suitable Non Executive Chairman as he was prepared to take on this position without remuneration. MR had stood on the board for some 17 years, and had extensive experience as a Chairman of a Public Limited Company. This could not be agreed at this point.

AC further proposed that RL be appointed as the executive director responsible for all football matters, due to his history of having over ten years experience of this. This could not be agreed at this point.

MR believed that the first financial control to be put in place is to control the wages bill and transfer fees. MR stated that he believed that consensus was essential and confidence and confidentiality is needed inside the boardroom.

AC commented that the previous plan “B” which should have been implemented in the event of the club remaining in the Championship without the benefit of parachute payments had not been implemented and that costs were apparently still being held at Premiership levels.

RL commented that in his recent discussions with the company’s bankers that the current expenditure levels did not stack up. RL asked the question of what the views were of MW and LC and what they propose to do to address the problem.

LC commented that in his view there should be a CEO and a Chairman of the PLC which would be the controlling board of the club, and that the football club board should be identical in structure to the PLC board. All present concurred with this view.

LC proposed that the four incumbent executives on the PLC board – Ken Dulieu, Jim Hone, Andy Oldknow and Lee Hoos should be removed by the shareholders at the earliest opportunity. It was stated that Keith Wiseman was understood to be up for re-election, but was unlikely to stand. In the event of his standing it was felt that this would not be supported by the shareholders. All present concurred with this view.

AC pointed out that it was essential to keep a qualified club secretary in office; he believed that there were three such qualified people in the club – Barry Fox, Liz Coley and Lee Hoos. AC also pointed out that there was a perfectly well qualified Head of Operations in Brendan McLinchey. AC also pointed out that David Jones should be retained as Finance Director. All concurred with this except LC who questioned if this was the correct position to take. After discussion, it was resolved that David Jones is the best man for the job, and was essential to provide continuity.

This would leave a board consisting of PT, LC and DJ, after the clearout was complete.

LC then proposed his replacement board consisting of the following:

1. An independent chairman

2. A Managing Director/CEO with football expertise

3. A director for each of the three “tribes”

4. An independent non executive.

This would be a board with a maximum of six. It was then suggested that this should be extended to include a Finance Director in the person of David Jones – making a board of seven. It was further agreed that the football club board would mirror the same structure – and this would ensure that only one board meeting was necessary.

AC commented that this was still a very large board for a business with a turnover of around £15m, but agreed that this may be the right compromise.

Discussion then took place on individual roles as follows:

Chairman – Mike Richards

MR then proposed Rupert Lowe. Neither of these proposals could be agreed.

MD/CEO – Football responsibility and management of football club manager and with business responsibility to get costs under control. MR proposed Rupert Lowe, and LC proposed Andrew Cowen. AC felt that he had the required skill set to do this position, with the exception of the football responsibility as this was not his strength.

MR then left the meeting at this point as he had to catch a flight.

AC then re-iterated his support for Mike Richards as Chairman based on his proved independence and ability to represent shareholders. Further discussion then ensued in which it was clear that both RL and MW could not agree to serve on the same board. This was set aside for further discussion.

LC then proposed that in his view Andrew Cowen should be CEO and proposed Patrick Trant as Chairman. PT declined any interest in this solution. PT then suggested a joint CEO/Chair position. AC commented that this was the right and appropriate course for a Championship club. PT then agreed that if a suitable interim board could be established with the right terms of reference, he would be prepared to continue to serve.

MW then stated that in his view an interim board must be appointed and should reflect the shareholders interest. This was not agreed.

PT then suggested a board of 7 which would include MR, LC, MW, AC and David Jones. This was seconded by LC. This was agreed by a majority, but could not be agreed by MW, who was not inclined to comment on this. MW re-iterated that the alternative Interim board must be agreed before any moves are made to replace the existing executives. Some discussion then followed on the right mechanism to remove the current executives. The timelines discussed centre on the next board meeting due to take place on 29th November and the AGM which needed to take place by 28th December. RL suggested that the appropriate mechanism was to seek a meeting with the current executives with MW, RL and LC alongside a legal representative. Mark Shepherd of Shoosmiths was unanimously agreed as a suitable legal representative. If agreement could not be found at this stage it would then be appropriate to call an EGM.

AC then suggested that the likely makeup of an interim board would be as follows:

AC – CEO but be prepared to give up his proxy so that the board was not seen as being biased toward any one tribe, but with a deadlock process in place to resolve such situations.

PT - Non Executive Director

David Jones – Finance Director

RL – Executive acting as Sporting Director

MW – Non Executive Director

LC – Non Executive Director

MR – Possible Non Executive Chairman

It was not possible to agree these proposals, but AC agreed to act as a central contact point to resolve the three main difficulties that remained – as follows:

1. MR as Chairman – further discussion essential to see if this can be agreed

2. RL – to decide if he is prepared to serve on the board with MW

3. MW – to decide if he is prepared to serve on the board with RL.

The meeting was then closed at 1550.

If it forced out Lowe and Wilde it would be a good thing, wouldn't it? Or would you prefer for them to stay until we are either bankrupt, in a lower division, or indeed both?
Trouble is Wes, that despite all the posts on here suggesting that if Lowe was to sell his shares, everything would start looking up, there is absolutely no evidence to support that. Its equally probable that with someone else in the Chair the club will still be facing relegation and financial meltdown. Lowe wasn't on the board last year when we sank to bottom spot. So......, much as the depressive atmosphere is understandable, there really is no easy way to save a club that has expoenditure exceeding its income. A different board would have exactly the same problems.

Here are the minutes. There is not a lot of rocket science contained within but it does have Andrew Cowen proposing Lowe for a paid DoF role. I have highlighted that part which is the only change to the original.

The meeting was then closed at 1550.

Sounds like an average Friday afternoon on TSW, plenty of gab,no action.

I want the whole lot gone although i do feel that AC is a decent person and LC a true fan.

The minutes were interesting but for me this sentence was the most worrying

'AC commented that the previous plan “B” which should have been implemented in the event of the club remaining in the Championship without the benefit of parachute payments had not been implemented and that costs were apparently still being held at Premiership levels.'

Interesting. No hint of the betrayal about to unfold. The Wilde/Lowe 'takeover' feels just as much a coup as the executives' hugely damaging power grab - and seems to be driving the club over the very same cliff the meeting was evidently called to avoid.

Here are the minutes. There is not a lot of rocket science contained within but it does have Andrew Cowen proposing Lowe for a paid DoF role.

AC further proposed that RL be appointed as the executive director responsible for all football matters, due to his history of having over ten years experience of this. This could not be agreed at this point. .

doesn't say director of football -as we understand the role -but the director managing the manager/managing football side of PLC. Also says as Lowe has done for 10 years -therefore implying same role he had with Strachen, Hoddle, Dave Jones etc. Doesn't look earth shattering

Edited by NickG

Trouble is Wes, that despite all the posts on here suggesting that if Lowe was to sell his shares, everything would start looking up, there is absolutely no evidence to support that. Its equally probable that with someone else in the Chair the club will still be facing relegation and financial meltdown. Lowe wasn't on the board last year when we sank to bottom spot. So......, much as the depressive atmosphere is understandable, there really is no easy way to save a club that has expoenditure exceeding its income. A different board would have exactly the same problems.

I think that there would be an initial improvement certainly in "customers" through the gate. This would give breathing space to decide if JP should remain, he must be on some probationary period, therefore could be disposed of at minimal cost.

I'm not saying that there is good news on the horizon. I only see our dire situation as bad news.

All I know is that certain parties who have been waiting to see what happens are talking again. More in preparation I feel, if it goes completley t*ts up. I don't see anyone out there on a white charger I'm afraid and as for Fulthorpe, I have no idea what is happening there.

It certainly seems to be heading for the buffers don't you think? As I understood things we were reliant on selling someone like Bale once a season to stay above water. That supply has dried up now hasn't it ? No doubt the release of the Company Accounts will indicate the direction that we are heading for one way or the other.

Regards

Morph

I'm going to assume that by that you mean Crouch and Salz.

Sorry i disagree. If anything their actions seem amaturish on a whole. 1They came into this with no plan other then to say they were cost cutting. 2The only people who stand to lose from administration is Lowe and Wilde. 3But yet they are the ones who set the club onto that course of direction. 4Getting rid of someone who is proven to score goals when you need goals for the sake of say £384k is bad buisness. We have a club set up now in the way Lowe and Wilde wanted it to be. The team is different from last years and we have a near whole new back staff etc.. all these people have contracts just as the ones who have been replaced had. When the figures are released we will see just how "intelligent" they have been. It will also be interesting to see if Jan paid for his compensation or if we did. 5Right now we are heading to division 1. There is nothing i have seen in the 13 games to make me think the kids could spark into life and start scoring goals and winning games. The games we won we had massive luck with. 6This whole ideal that we are playing good football is just a myth. If football was passing around the half way line we would be top of this league. But it isn't, it is defending and scoring. We can do neither. 7The decisons that lead us to that was made by Lowe and Wilde. They are to blame for it.

1. I think the only plan they came in with was to make sure we didnt go into administration, they could see money we didnt have being spent all over the place and hearing Crouch say things that they knew not to be true. For Lowe and Wilde to join forces when they could hardly talk to each other previously must show in some respects that they dont want the club to go down the pan. If Crouch could do the same I think the 3 of them have a better chance of making the club go forward.

2. Wrong on this point. We will all lose from administration. I dont get how there would be a winner other than the bank.

3. I think you will find the Bank have a large portion of the blame as to the direction we have been heading. Available funds would have seen the likes of John and Skacel playing from the start and maybe even keeping hold of AD to bolster a very week defence.

4. It may be bad business to get rid of last seasons top scorer but if it is the banks instructions to accept any offers that increase our bank ballence or reduce our outgoings. Only reason Skacel hasnt left us is because he couldnt agree terms, Euell has been injured and there havnt been any offers for our other high earners. Any offers that have been refused will have been with the banks blessing but the current state of affairs probably means the next offer that comes in for Lallana and Co and they will be accepted. Maybe higher gate's throughout the season would have changed that but IMo its too late now.

5. I agree with the direction we seem to be heading but I said at the begining of the season that we would get many batterings mixed in with a few surprises, but on a whole I think we will manage to get enough points to stay up. Without the gates being higher though I dont hold out much hope at all for the following season. Catch 22 in that losing our better players will mean lower gates but its only the fans that can decide if they want to go along or not.

6. Some of the football has been good to watch, our movment and passing can be effective but like you say it counts for nothing if we cant defend or make the most out of our chances. If nothing else I think JP needs to be prepared to adopt the 4-4-2 formation when needed. We are no Chelsea and have no Drogba so a more English formation that the players are used to might provide the backbone for us to get a foot hold in the game. Mix it up with the 4-3-3 in periods of the game will keep the opo guessing and give the players the learning curve they desperatly need.

7. The decission made by Lowe and Wilde was done after speaking to the bank so they share part of the blame. As in anywhere if a new approach is to be tried then it has to be seen through. Right now we are out of the relegation spots with a long season ahead. Some sort of re-think is needed to make sure JP has the correct players at his disposal. Again, without the banks blessing we are looking at our current squad and no-one else

I will continue to support JP as long as he is here, I will support the team that we have no matter what and I will hope that RL and co will do enough to make us worth buying so we can see the back of the lot of them.

One pertinent point from the Runnymede minutes.

Why was our bank talking to a man who had no effective role in the running of the club?

Can they do that, I would have thought not, unless they have some personal guarantee from Rupert or one of the parties for whom he seems to be spokesman.

Anyone want to have a stab at explaining that point?.

the club needs to

1) to keep solvent in the short-term (ideally long as well)

2) inject some posivity

unfortunately I think, without investment, continuity with Lowe/Cowen are capable of 1,

unfortunately Lowe us definately not the one to inject positivity. Still think that Lowe's departure would add far less to the gate than 3 victories - both just as unlikely!

doesn't say director of football -as we understand the role -but the director managing the manager/managing football side of PLC. Also says as Lowe has done for 10 years -therefore implying same role he had with Strachen, Hoddle, Dave Jones etc. Doesn't look earth shattering

Still in denial Nick?

(Ask any of the board members who were there when Lowe tried to bring back Hoddle. He also wanted to be DoF then.)

Still in denial Nick?

(Ask any of the board members who were there when Lowe tried to bring back Hoddle. He also wanted to be DoF then.)

not in denial about anything, don't know what went on -well didn't til you posted saying it was to return to the role he had for the previuos ten years.

Stop looking for battles that aren't there!

As I said, nothing groundbreaking.

No but people were interested and asked me to put up so I have.

I have since also recieved some interesting PMs amd it seems Barclays aren't Rupert's biggest fans. I think the suggestion is that if he was to "go" then the situation would be a little more fluid. Perhaps the people the fans should be pressurising to request Lowe's removal is the bank.

I have since also recieved some interesting PMs amd it seems Barclays aren't Rupert's biggest fans. I think the suggestion is that if he was to "go" then the situation would be a little more fluid. Perhaps the people the fans should be pressurising to request Lowe's removal is the bank.

But which branch should we all meet at :rolleyes:

not in denial about anything, don't know what went on -well didn't til you posted saying it was to return to the role he had for the previuos ten years.

Stop looking for battles that aren't there!

Nick - Au contraire, I think the club is facing its biggest ever battle and all you can do is split hairs. I have done my best to deliver proof of what is going on up at SMS re JP and RL but you want it gift-wrapped and on a silver platter before you will even concede there might just be some truth in it.

Fiddling while Rome burns?

I have just spoken to three of my freinds who post and we did not know of the content of the meeting and I know like many others that this made interesting info as we are not all in the know as you say.

Thank you.

Nick - Au contraire, I think the club is facing its biggest ever battle and all you can do is split hairs. I have done my best to deliver proof of what is going on up at SMS re JP and RL but you want it gift-wrapped and on a silver platter before you will even concede there might just be some truth in it.

Fiddling while Rome burns?

it was an interesting insight, but saying it doesn't say what you say it says is not splitting hairs! Obviously things have moved on and the board may be supporting exactly the role you suggest - but that says as per the last ten years

In terms of the "where are we now scenario" the publication of the minutes may upset some people, but as many have now seen, the meeting appears to have been professional and business-like which probably surprised many.

They did TRY and find common ground to work together and recognised many of the problems.

But we see a situation where Leon was agreeing with many proposals, and yet only a month or so later managed to pull off his own "coup" and take sole control.

Are the minutes as useful as we would liked to have thought or were they the starting point of the real battles and mess developing?

But then why were they talking to him when his was off of the radar???

I just don't understand that.

If they're not his biggest fans why kick his cage when he'd been ousted.

I mean November 2007 "recent discussions with the clubs bankers"

when he'd been off the scene for nigh on 18 months.

Come on someone must have an explanation for that-please?

But then why were they talking to him when his was off of the radar???

I just don't understand that.

If they're not his biggest fans why kick his cage when he'd been ousted.

I mean November 2007 "recent discussions with the clubs bankers"

when he'd been off the scene for nigh on 18 months.

Come on someone must have an explanation for that-please?

Cunning is our Rupes.

He never really left SMS, just hid in the broom cupboard for 18 months.

it was an interesting insight, but saying it doesn't say what you say it says is not splitting hairs! Obviously things have moved on and the board may be supporting exactly the role you suggest - but that says as per the last ten years

Why is it you always bend over backwards in your own interpretations when it concerns directors at SMS could it be you work there in some capacituy and are a little scared at being identified. Perhaps you are trying to be PC ( I hate those who are always PC wet individuals without an original thought themselves)

Its always someone elses fault never the people running things.

Soon we will be in administration and you will stillbe making even handed excuses. It beggars belief at times.

Come on Nick just for once fall of the bleeding fence

the club needs to

1) to keep solvent in the short-term (ideally long as well)

2) inject some posivity

unfortunately I think, without investment, continuity with Lowe/Cowen are capable of 1,

unfortunately Lowe us definately not the one to inject positivity. Still think that Lowe's departure would add far less to the gate than 3 victories - both just as unlikely!

We simply need to survive as long as possible.

Outside investors are watching their assets melt down and aren't doing anything except hoarding cash.

Morph's team are in (IMHO hopefully) the background and in all likelihood could now afford the club IF they want to talk to Andrew or Rupert, but also are probably trying to play Russian Roulette to get the price down a little more.

Leon could help in the short term but has to swallow some of his pride, as would Rupert. Who could bring the pieces together? Probably not even Dr Henry Kissenger

Survival until the world stops spinning downwards and we can start to see the bottom and we have a chance of finding a saviour, right now we would need 2 to 4 million to get through admin and I can't see it being enough to build a team to keep us even in League 1.

Cunning is our Rupes.

He never really left SMS, just hid in the broom cupboard for 18 months.

What and he was just impersonation Hone when the phone rang to "discuss our overdraft

Come on why were the bank talking to Lowe in November 2007, that's an important thing to know.In fact it's the key.

Not sure I've seen anything that said they were :smt102

Look at the minutes published above

RL commented that in his recent discussion with the companies bankers

Not any old recent discussions his recent discussions.

Why were Barclays talking to Lowe in the fall of last year?

Come on people I want to know..

If Lowey and Wildey had any decency they would go mow. They must see all bar a few of the fan base are against them.

Do you really think if they take over the groundsman role it would make amends.

Mind you it would help lower the costs. They could even sell tickets, rotten fruit, eggs and bricks.

Look at the minutes published above

RL commented that in his recent discussion with the companies bankers

Not any old recent discussions his recent discussions.

Why were Barclays talking to Lowe in the fall of last year?

Come on people I want to know..

That is a very good point which I brought several times with others that had recicved these minutes. All his was then was a shareholder! Does that mean as a shareholder I could phone up Barclays and ask about our current situation?

That is a very good point which I brought several times with others that had recicved these minutes. All his was then was a shareholder! Does that mean as a shareholder I could phone up Barclays and ask about our current situation?

Well I'm going to bell them tomorrow to see if they want to talk to me about it then.

I'll spill the beans, no worries.

I can't help thinking that there are personal guarantees in place.

I'm sure our OD showed up in the last accounts as a "secured" loan.

Could be wrong though, it's been known.:cool:

Maybe he had his mouth full the whole time.

The only thing he'd have had in his mouth would likely have been his foot...

But despite the fact that he was a prize pillock on here and in Bournemouth too often, he did actually get up off his a8se and try and get something done, shame he couldn't have done it less publicly.

How much different could things have been IF the 3 amigos HAD found a way to work together at that meeting? If nothing else, the cost cutting could have started sooner which as others have said MAY have eased the situation this year.

And in a speculative vein, would Rupert have got the carte blanche for the "experiment" with the others around him in a team working together?

Would the mess be even bigger now? Would Burley have lasted until Scotland paid us for him? Would NP have got the job? Would we have wasted so long with Dodd & Gorman... ah back in the land of if only's and missed opportunities

Originally Posted by Wes Tender viewpost.gif

If it forced out Lowe and Wilde it would be a good thing, wouldn't it? Or would you prefer for them to stay until we are either bankrupt, in a lower division, or indeed both?

What so many fail to understand is that the footballing side will not have that great a bearing on our immediate future, administration is coming and that shadow will cause every thing to go into melt down. I can see it now with the usual muppets lined up to know why Lowe never got rid of and sold more players than we have.

As for the other idiots who feel Crouch will ride in to save the day, he needs administration to cancel out all those debts and wages that he spectacularly help create and failed to do anything about.

They have all known of these losses for so long but have consistently buried their heads, now it will be us down there with them. Just remind me again what was so wrong with the statement issued by the execs, when they said we had hit the end of the road and needed to sell players. but not to worry, throughout all this time we have had true Saints fans on the board in Leon, Mary and Lawrie looking after our welfare. Lowe may well be a ****, but at least he is not a stupid ****.

What so many fail to understand is that the footballing side will not have that great a bearing on our immediate future, administration is coming and that shadow will cause every thing to go into melt down. I can see it now with the usual muppets lined up to know why Lowe never got rid of and sold more players than we have.

As for the other idiots who feel Crouch will ride in to save the day, he needs administration to cancel out all those debts and wages that he spectacularly help create and failed to do anything about.

They have all known of these losses for so long but have consistently buried their heads, now it will be us down there with them. Just remind me again what was so wrong with the statement issued by the execs, when they said we had hit the end of the road and needed to sell players. but not to worry, throughout all this time we have had true Saints fans on the board in Leon, Mary and Lawrie looking after our welfare. Lowe may well be a ****, but at least he is not a stupid ****.

Don't blame Crouch for all our recent ills but the Execs who overruled his objection to signing Euell on such a high wage for starters.

I beg to differ - it is the only possible means we have of increasing revenue. Clearly cost cutting on its own is never going to achieve anything (other than to damage the core business of the company).

I've always wanted to know what people think Crouch should have done differently?

Dodd and Gorman didn't work but in the end we got a good manager and we didn't go down. We had a sell out crowd on the final day of the season and everyone was pulling in the right direction. Crouch loaned out Rasiak and Skacel. We signed experience because we would have gone down otherwise.

And, he wasn't chairman.

Crouch could have put himself forward as chairman, director of sporting affairs, lord chief to the privy council, rear admiral, financier extraordinaire blah, blah, blah, but he actually stepped aside to allow Wiseman to take up the pLC chairmanship.

Do people really think that we would be worse off if Crouch was in charge now? If so, name one thing that Lowe and Wilde have improved. They certainly haven't improved the finances.

No I don't, but I know certain parties are now talking behind Lowe and Wildes backs.

What is that saying about people who live by the sword ?

Regards

Morph

Beware the ides of October? He asked mockingly, but with a sincere hint of hope in his voice.

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"

Nosey grindstone.

Don't blame Crouch for all our recent ills but the Execs who overruled his objection to signing Euell on such a high wage for starters.

If at any time Crouch or Wilde had said to the execs to get the costs under control, it would of had to have been done, because it would of represented the largest share holding. Or do you still believe that Lowe / Cowen would not have insisted upon cuts? Crouch has been in this up to his neck and if you are worried about Euell's salary, get a look at some of the loans.

There may well be some distancing from all of this as the fan takes delivery, but he has been in there up to his neck.

Do you really think if they take over the groundsman role it would make amends.

Mind you it would help lower the costs. They could even sell tickets, rotten fruit, eggs and bricks.

After the mowing I would ask that they wash the kit it all helps.

Bring back Woggy, Ethel the tea lady and the four corners.

If at any time Crouch or Wilde had said to the execs to get the costs under control, it would of had to have been done, because it would of represented the largest share holding. Or do you still believe that Lowe / Cowen would not have insisted upon cuts? Crouch has been in this up to his neck and if you are worried about Euell's salary, get a look at some of the loans.

There may well be some distancing from all of this as the fan takes delivery, but he has been in there up to his neck.

You don't believe that the execs would listen to the bigger shareholders do you!! They pushed the biggest shareholder out and marginalised the second biggest ffs