Football Manager 2012 - updates thread

Saint_clark

What are the benefits? I usually do it in all the other FM's?

You have better control of which players to play, and that'll help you get fitness levels up to the right standard for competitive games. My tactic isn't a plug and play, its dynamic, and my assistant manager obviously won't do as I would, if you get a loss or your assistant says the wrong thing at the wrong time you have the possibility of a morale problem.

In my test, I did six games and he did six games in two separate starts to a season with the same players. I may only have won one out of six, but I went nine games unbeaten. Where my assistant manager did pre-season, those six losses resulted in me being on the verge of the sack after six games because we were so bad.

Definitely a case for doing it yourself I'd say. Also, I ALWAYS take a player off if he has a 'slight' injury, or else you risk turning it into a long term injury. Your assistant manager might not, and you'll have a big injury on your hands before the season even starts.

Fair enough mate, never really thought of that to be honest, I just think of the teamwork and fitness benefits but will start doing that now!

Update on my game with Eastleigh, still top of the league unbeaten after 15-16 games, now have Quinton Fortune on free transfer and Aaron Martin and Lee Barnard on loan! Counago has scored 18 in 19 games too! Feels like I'm cheating tbh!

Fair enough mate, never really thought of that to be honest, I just think of the teamwork and fitness benefits but will start doing that now!

Update on my game with Eastleigh, still top of the league unbeaten after 15-16 games, now have Quinton Fortune on free transfer and Aaron Martin and Lee Barnard on loan! Counago has scored 18 in 19 games too! Feels like I'm cheating tbh!

Quinton Fortune, Lee Barnard and Pablo Counago at Eastleigh, are you still in the Blue Square South? There are some odd reputation problems in this game it has to be said.

Well I just finished my second season with Trelleborgs FF in second place, we could have won it but we drew two of our last three, having beaten the team at the top before that. Disappointing but I've got my team talks down to a tee now, time to strengthen the remaining positions in my team that need it and go for the title.

We got knocked out of the Europa League in the fourth qualifying round by Spartak Moscow, no shame in that if you ask me.

Quinton Fortune, Lee Barnard and Pablo Counago at Eastleigh, are you still in the Blue Square South? There are some odd reputation problems in this game it has to be said.
Yep still in the BSS, its stupid, I seem to be the only team taking advantage of the rep problems too...

Won the title with Trelleborgs FF, woop! Gothenburg messed up royally and we eventually finished three points clear. I've had enough of the 30% transfer revenue rubbish they keep lumbering me with and the three quarter empty stadium, so unless things improve I'm off to Norway.

screenshot20111114at141.png

Only took me three years to take a relegation side to the top in Sweden thanks to the tactics I posted earlier, though I've been tinkering and I alternate during matches between a 4-5-1 and that 4-3-3. Works a treat, and I dare say had I been given the opportunity to sign better strikers, we would have ran away with the division some time ago.

Can anyone work out why my Saints team pick up so many yellow cards? Team is playing well, top of the league in Feb, clear by 20 points! Play fast attacking football with Billy Sharp scoring 30 in 30 but we pick up on average 4 yellow cards a match, leading to poor discipline and fines. The tackling mentality isn't aggressive or anything, it's just really weird...

On every game I've not been Saints, Adkins has been sacked quickly. Why is this when he's clearly a good manager? Does NC have a tendency to sack because he got rid of one manager in reality when he pretty much had to? He seems like a long term chairman in every sense in reality.

Also AVB seems to fail everywhere. In my first game over 4 or 5 seasons he got left Chelsea very early, then went to Blackburn, then West Ham, the Boro. Seems not only rated very low, but has a desire to stay in england obviously!

Yep, exactly the same here. Adkins out by about October, AVB ends up at Wolves. Pretty poor if you ask me.

Meanwhile I'm taking over at IFK Goteborg, want to win a record amount of titles and be top dog in Sweden. I love the Allsvenskan, it's so competitive.

Im with you 2 on this, i find its to in depth now. All i want to do is pick the team and tactics and do all the transfer stuff. I dont care about training and spending ages picking through all the team talk stuff. I have the new version but i havent played it yet as its just to in depth and i dont see the point of allowing a assistant manager do all the work, especially in the lower leagues as they are rubbish at it.

Bring back the footy manager of a few years ago i say!

I keep buying FM every year (although not this year because of Steam) but totally agree its too in depth. I always find myself going back to CM4 due to its simplicity. It also helps Saints are a pretty decent outfit on it as well but I like the fact I can sit down and do a season in an afternoon. I briefly went back to my FM09 game last weekend, played for about 3 hours and had played about 4 games. Boring.

I don't know about it being too in depth but when it takes me half a day to play a few games, that's a bit annoying. There have been too many bugs and errors for me this year and Steam is an absolute nightmare when it goes wrong, and I'm afraid there's no getting away from it, it often does.

If I had a problem with how in-depth it is, I would agree with maddog, it would be the fact that yes, I could ask my assistant manager to do it all for me, but they cannot always be trusted and if you are managing a team lower down the tiers, you can never get a decent one. In the Allsvenskan I can only offer an assistant manager £275 a week which is absolute peanuts - this is managing a team that has twice won the UEFA Cup. I'm not going to get a decent assistant manager for that kind of money and definitely not one that I can ask to handle things for me.

It would be nice to have a choice between a simplified, chopped down version circa CM4 or one like it is now, just so everyone was happy!

LMA Manager used to have different options along those lines, you could choose to just do the team selection and transfers or you could add in the option to do all the finances etc. Wouldn't go amiss in FM.

Why did steam mean you didn't?

Bad feedback/poor user experience. Quite frankly I want to put a CD I have bought in to my computer and start playing the game. Ask me to start jumping through hoops and changing security settings etc etc etc.. and frankly I cannot be bothered. I really hope you feed this all back to your bosses and are not burying your head in the sand.

Bad feedback/poor user experience. Quite frankly I want to put a CD I have bought in to my computer and start playing the game. Ask me to start jumping through hoops and changing security settings etc etc etc.. and frankly I cannot be bothered. I really hope you feed this all back to your bosses and are not burying your head in the sand.

Well said. Whatever happened to the days of just paying and playing? If you pay for the game, you should decide when you play it.

Steam is a pile of ****, when Civ5 came out I purchased, downloaded and played for a day or two. Then a problem with my broadband meant I had no connection at my house. Went to play Civ5...oh I cant as i can't connect to steam. Great I'll set to offline mode...nope can't do that without an internet connection, 18 days I couldnt play a game I just paid $70 for...ridiculous.

Quite enjoying my save at the minute. Set a rule on myself that after 2 seasons if I get a job offer I will accept it. Started at Celtic and won everything pretty easily and in my last season scored 179 league goals in 38 games..had Fierro and Vossen up front. Heerenveen then came calling, languishing in the lower half of the Dutch league. Pretty much didnt get far first season, mid table and let in over 90 goals, pretty bad. 2nd season there improved greatly and finished 3rd and won the cup. Liverpool then came a knocking...so ended up at Anfield. Won the quadruple first season and finished on 100 points, they already had Fierro (my ex celtic guy) and Niang there so pretty much easy street. In my 2nd season now and just wondering if I should quit at the end of this season or wait for the eventual call from Real or Barca...

****ing hell skintsaint, that's brilliant work. What tactic are you using?

I tried tweaking my tactic to get some goals out of it, I had something stupid like 12+ shots per game on target but I put barely any of them away, but I failed. Then I came across this

It's a great tactic, I've won eight and lost two using it with a fairly average team. It gets plenty of goals - just beat my local rivals 4 - 0.

Urgh. That tactic served me so well until I lost my first choice goalkeeper and I was hit by suspensions.

We lost three in a row, blew the narrow lead we had at the top and hosted our local rivals in the title decider. Anders bloody Svensson scores a 35 yarder to win 2 - 1 and they take the lot.

Sigh. Anyway. I'm gutting my squad now, which is what I've wanted to do for ages, and now that we're in the Europa League we might get a bigger budget and bigger names on our teamsheet.

Managing Zimbru Chisinau (of Moldova) at the moment, four games in. Just drew at home to a team we should have annihilated. Typically, I had to go spare at the players in private, yet exuded a calm, professional manner when the press interviews came back around. Still can't speak Romanian though. :(

Managing Zimbru Chisinau (of Moldova) at the moment, four games in. Just drew at home to a team we should have annihilated. Typically, I had to go spare at the players in private, yet exuded a calm, professional manner when the press interviews came back around. Still can't speak Romanian though. :(

Moldova! Wow. That's a new one on me.

Moldova! Wow. That's a new one on me.

If you're really daring, there are leagues out there for the likes of Anguilla, Surinam etc. :o I can point you in the direction of the leagues you can download if you fancy a crack at it?

It's quite fun, but in a way it's quite difficult as you're completely hamstrung in so many aspects. You don't know the players, the players you're linked with, the strength or the opposition in the league and you're guaranteed to be working to a tight budget. My objective is to have the club qualified for the Champions League proper, but we'll see how that goes!

Done all the tactics myself (very, very Adkins-esque style of play), the training and recruited all my own backroom staff. Likewise, overhauling their youth system as by the time next season rolls around, I want to have at least 2-3 regens who can step up to the first team. :)

I'm also quite tempted to try and get Surinam qualified for a World Cup, or even the Netherlands Antilles. :)

Won the title with Trelleborgs FF, woop! Gothenburg messed up royally and we eventually finished three points clear. I've had enough of the 30% transfer revenue rubbish they keep lumbering me with and the three quarter empty stadium, so unless things improve I'm off to Norway.

screenshot20111114at141.png

Only took me three years to take a relegation side to the top in Sweden thanks to the tactics I posted earlier, though I've been tinkering and I alternate during matches between a 4-5-1 and that 4-3-3. Works a treat, and I dare say had I been given the opportunity to sign better strikers, we would have ran away with the division some time ago.

Haha, just seen this! It appears you are someone who enjoys a challenge in a foreign country!

If you're really daring, there are leagues out there for the likes of Anguilla, Surinam etc. :o I can point you in the direction of the leagues you can download if you fancy a crack at it?

It's quite fun, but in a way it's quite difficult as you're completely hamstrung in so many aspects. You don't know the players, the players you're linked with, the strength or the opposition in the league and you're guaranteed to be working to a tight budget. My objective is to have the club qualified for the Champions League proper, but we'll see how that goes!

Done all the tactics myself (very, very Adkins-esque style of play), the training and recruited all my own backroom staff. Likewise, overhauling their youth system as by the time next season rolls around, I want to have at least 2-3 regens who can step up to the first team. :)

I'm also quite tempted to try and get Surinam qualified for a World Cup, or even the Netherlands Antilles. :)

Ha, yes I saw the Anguillan option, worst ranked football league in the world?

You enjoy a challenge, fair play to you. I'm sick of seeing people going 'I've got a great tactic, just won everything with Barcelona'. Yeah, well done on doing something that isn't very difficult at all.

I've done my fair share of taking turds and polishing them (Berwick, Winchester City, AFC Wimbledon in the Blue Square South, Barnet, Cambridge United) so I'm going to step up a few levels. Currently with IFK Gothenborg, going to beat Sven and win the Champs League. Just beat our deadliest rivals 5 - 0 on their own patch, which I love (Keegan style).

Europa League qualifying draw will please Mr. Crab Lungs and niemi14, first up a trip to Andorra and then if I beat whoever the team are, I go to Tallinn, Estonia!

Bit of a wobble in the league meanwhile, we were comfortably clear at the top by about five points, that's now down to two after a loss and two draws. Grrrr.

Why does it matter if it is "too in depth"? Most (if not all) of these things can be allocated to your assistant so don't matter if you don't like doing them. Had they not been included they would only have been simulated in some other way behind the scenes so doesn't really matter either way.

Thats my point though, why would i want to allocate it to a Assistant manager as they are usually crap at it. The old games it was all hidden so you didnt really realise but when you allocate team talks to the assistant manager and he is useless at them you know you need to do them yourself. Im a massive Footy Manager fan but each year i find myself less and less interested in the new features. Also i hate the fact you can play the game for a whole afternoon and only get 8 or 9 games done, the old versions you used to be able to get a season done in an afternoon.

I don't know about it being too in depth but when it takes me half a day to play a few games, that's a bit annoying. There have been too many bugs and errors for me this year and Steam is an absolute nightmare when it goes wrong, and I'm afraid there's no getting away from it, it often does.

If I had a problem with how in-depth it is, I would agree with maddog, it would be the fact that yes, I could ask my assistant manager to do it all for me, but they cannot always be trusted and if you are managing a team lower down the tiers, you can never get a decent one. In the Allsvenskan I can only offer an assistant manager £275 a week which is absolute peanuts - this is managing a team that has twice won the UEFA Cup. I'm not going to get a decent assistant manager for that kind of money and definitely not one that I can ask to handle things for me.

Totally agree with this and that was my point really. If anything i feel they need to actually allow you to turn off some features of the game that your not interested in.

Just did an experiment. Ran a game whilst unemployed, but made sure Saints won all their home games. They won the division comfortably. What followed next was absolutely ridiculous.

Adkins was made Arsenal manager, Sean Dyche took over for Saints' Premier League campaign.

This compared to when the game was left alone and Saints couldn't buy a win, sacked Adkins in October and replaced him with Strachan. Strachan was then sacked at the start of the next season.

Meanwhile, in Gothenborg...

We scraped past Tallinn, beat our nearest rivals to go six points clear of them with a game in hand then beat Dinamo Bucharest in the Europa League third qualifying round. Niiice.

Sean "scratchy voice" Dyche? Haha, that said, can see Cortese appointing someone like him as opposed to a bigger name or established dinosaur... Rather him than Clotterill, anyway! Will be interesting to see how adkins gets on at Arsenal. Glad to hear you're going ok in the league, we've just imploded at home against our biggest rivals and fellow title challengers Sheriff... With a little help from the cheating game engine of course. Player sent off reduced us to countering them, spirited effort but the game engine decided that, as usual, after 60minutes, we were a spent force and never had another chance. Now playing catch up and they're yet to slip up :(

Sean "scratchy voice" Dyche? Haha, that said, can see Cortese appointing someone like him as opposed to a bigger name or established dinosaur... Rather him than Clotterill, anyway! Will be interesting to see how adkins gets on at Arsenal. Glad to hear you're going ok in the league, we've just imploded at home against our biggest rivals and fellow title challengers Sheriff... With a little help from the cheating game engine of course. Player sent off reduced us to countering them, spirited effort but the game engine decided that, as usual, after 60minutes, we were a spent force and never had another chance. Now playing catch up and they're yet to slip up :(

I met Sean when on hack duty at SMS after we beat Watford this season, he's a really nice bloke, but his voice, christ! I thought he had a sore throat when I first heard him but that's how he actually sounds all the time, quite incredible.

Six points clear in the league with a game in hand, knocked out of Europe by Metalist, not overly bothered really. Three red cards in three games recently, I'm going to tinker with my tactic I think.

Moldova really interests me now! Let us know how you get on.

I'm still with eastleigh but haven't played in a while so nothing to report, I might start a separate game with some eastern euro team though, looks very interesting.

Have either of you ever tried the English leagues with unknown players ticked? It's a hell of a lot harder!

I met Sean when on hack duty at SMS after we beat Watford this season, he's a really nice bloke, but his voice, christ! I thought he had a sore throat when I first heard him but that's how he actually sounds all the time, quite incredible.

Six points clear in the league with a game in hand, knocked out of Europe by Metalist, not overly bothered really. Three red cards in three games recently, I'm going to tinker with my tactic I think.

Moldova really interests me now! Let us know how you get on.

Yeah, he does seem a real nice guy, a little crazy too - in the Martin Allen mould. What's he like? Personable, I'm assuming?

I have to say, I'm not too bothered about my game anymore - a three-week break has left me longing for a new challenge. I might start a new game or I might... apply for another position. Hmmmm, what to do!

PS: Moldova is fun, and I'm liking the sound of Scandanavia... swaps?

Right, the toy's are out of the pram. It's official.

I resigned straight after losing to Dacia 3-2 away. Pathetic result (not performance) from my lot, especially considering they're the probably the highest paid group of player in the division (Pompey, anyone?).

So what next? The Thai U23's job, Philadelphia Union, Maritimo (could do with a warmer climate and Funchal seems like a good choice) and the Ath.Bilbao "B" team. Quite fancy managing the "B" side for a while, not focusing on results, but improving the players.

Uh oh, I'm turning into Steve Wigley. Or Steve Kember. Or Tony Parkes. :(

Uh oh, I'm turning into Steve Wigley. Or Steve Kember. Or Tony Parkes. :(

Can you believe Wigley has another job? Hull are the latest gullible set of fools to employ him. Whenever he's been at a club they've failed.

Yeah, he does seem a real nice guy, a little crazy too - in the Martin Allen mould. What's he like? Personable, I'm assuming?

Well given he'd just seen his team hammered with a lot of them looking like they couldn't give a toss (Sordell), he was really upbeat, even after the refereeing decisions which were rather questionable.

As for swapsies, I've started again... Again. Wasn't happy with my squad so I've decided to start from scratch with Gothenborg again. We WILL win the Champions League. Someday.