Football Manager 2012 - updates thread

Saint_clark

Just knocked Saints out in the 2nd Round of the League Cup with Crawley. My 2 star players were away on international duty (Tyrone Loran and Robin Nelisse - both with Curacao/Dutch Antilles) so I thought we'd get thrashed.

We took an early lead when in the 12th minute, a long throw by David Hunt was nodded in at the near post by Calum Angus. Our lead was increased a mere 2 minutes later by Sergio Torres, who was found unmarked at the far post by Matt Tubbs. Steve De Ridder caused us problems throughout the whole game, and he pulled one back for Saints by slotting in from a corner in the 27th minute. Rickie Lambert then scored a penalty after David Hunt brought De Ridder down after a mazy run. Hunt went on a bit of a mad one, and gave away a free kick just outside the area on the left hand side, which was crossed in by Guly and Schneiderlin connected with a diving header at the near post. 3-2 to Saints at half time.

At half time I told the team they were doing well, but that if they kept going they could still get a win. This got the players riled up, and they came out for the second half raring to go. Both teams had numerous chances to score in the second half, but it wasn't until the 92nd minute that Matt Tubbs popped up at the back post with a header from a pinpoint Sergio Torres cross to take the game into Extra Time. My fears were increased when Steve De Ridder popped up just 20 seconds into Extra Time to make it 4-3, and I thought there would be no way back from there. Luckily, that man Sergio Torres came to the rescue again, as he scored a screamer from 35 yards out to make it 4-4 on 110 minutes. The game simmered down after that, with both teams resigned to a penalty shootout.

In the end, it took 9 penalties for us and 10 penalties for Saints, but Crawley came out on top in the end - winning 7-6.

Well chuffed with that!

The o.g was blatantly Aaron Martin's aswell, so a hat-trick for him also. I tip my hat to you sir.

Glad I could be of help Mr. Barnard.

Me personally I'm having troubles again. Steam is refusing to open half the time, and when it does, FM12 crashes on startup. It's a f*cking joke. It's been going rapidly downhill in the game with the match engine starting to suffer, so I'm wondering what's going on. My MacBook is fine, not a problem with it at all.

Well. Here's a right old c*ck-up.

FM12 has basically completely died on my laptop. No one at SI had a solution, and then Steam itself broke. I've had to totally gut both things from my system and am starting from scratch, in the hope that'll sort it all out. Trouble is with my internet connection, I could be doing that for a while.

Brilliant eh?

I'm due a new laptop on Tues to replace my 5yr old Vista laden PC....hopefully that will fix any problems.

Ho Hum...can't play a game I paid for till then.

FM...every year gets better and better lol

Yeah, that's what REALLY gets me. I can't play a game I paid for until a third party piece of sh*t tells me. I paid for it, I DECIDE!

The players on this game are very easily irritated - I made 9 changes to my team to face Bradford in the league (won 3-1) before the cup game on Tuesday against Millwall (yet to play) and one of the players who was rested (Scott Davies) came to me saying I had broken my promise about starting him in more games. I've started him in every game so far this season apart from that one! Bit of a glitch there.

Right, I went down to my local where they have free wifi at a staggering 850KB a second and downloaded the game from scratch in about an hour.

Still quite sluggish, I've tried disabling threading. Minor improvement I think. Steam is a f*cking joke though, I just spoke to someone who waited 14 days for their technical support to get back to them.

3 days, swapped game, dumped my brand new Bitdefender for AVG, three IT 'brains' tried to load it, and I still can't get the fer king game to load. Bloody steam, once registered, you should be able to dump steam off your computer, and just play the game. Steam is intrusive, and reacts with other programes, hence the problems.

I want my bloody money back!!!

:x:x:x:x:x

Well after two and a half years at Berwick, which included two division titles, a Scottish cup-semi final and the Challenge Cup final, I've decided to move on.

The Challenge Cup final against Dunfermline was my last game, sadly we lost 2 - 0 and just didn't play well enough at all. I leave Berwick second in the Scottish first division, six points behind Dunfermline in November - I could have stayed and mounted a title challenge but I've had enough.

The club is so skint, it can't even go full time. I think that speaks volumes. Next up, Scandinavia, although I might be tempted by Wales for a season, never managed there (never had the ambition to either, but our Nigel did it).

You can put Steam on offline mode.

I know, but you can't remove it this time! or can you. Matters not, because the game (second one) still shows the same crash error. This is not now due to Bitdefender ( as I removed it ), I can only assume it's steam, in conflict with another programe, which is causing this. Surely, having registered the bl00dy game with 'big brother' steam, I should be able just run the game, with steam off the laptop completely?

Things that need to be changed in the next patch (for MLG)

- Chaplow's workrate and pace need to be higher

- De Ridder's finishing needs to be much higher

- Schneiderlin's tackling and positioning need to be higher

- Hammond's positioning needs to be higher

- Lambert's finishing needs to be slightly higher

Grab a Coffee...

First season in charge of Plymouth has come to an end. First job was to get the squads morale up which was a widespread "abysmal". A few team meetings and a few home friendlies against Wolves & Aston Villa saw some much needed money come through the turnstiles, but it also saw the wrong net being battered and losses of 0-4 and 0-6 respectively, done absolutely nothing for the morale problem of my newly inherited team.

The rebuilding began with two season long loans, a certain Aaron Martin from along the south coast at Southampton and Gavin Massey, a young striker from Watford who it turns out makes Jason Puncheon look an angel. A good start, but I had a he'll of a lot more to do to give me a fighting chance for the long season ahead. I had to cut the wage bill and fortunately Simon Walton agreed to a significant wage cut and with Warren Feeney & Romain Larrieu joining Carl Fletcher on season long loans out of the club I finally had some money to play with in terms of the wage bill. First in, Marvin Andrews, the experienced Trinidadian centre back, followed closely by veteran Quinton Fortune and Stern John. Much needed experience for my seriously young squad. I needed more options up top and gambled on 27 year old SPL and Australian League journeyman Gary Wales and young Faroe Island U-21 striker Gilli Sørensen. Young defender Danny Ball joined for a free from rivals Bristol City but the Pilgrims gave him not even the time of day. They had found their scapegoat for the season before it had even began.

So the season got underway and The Pilgrims got off to a suprisly good start, picking up 7 wins from the first 11 games and occupying the early play-off spots. Gary Wales got off to a flyer and really hit it off with the young Gilli Sørensen. Aaron Martin was formidable at the back alongside Onismor Bhasera and the big Marvin Andrews and Youngster Jake Cole was thoroughly impressive between the sticks despite being chucked in at the deep end in light of Larrieu's season long departure.

Progression in away ties in the early rounds of the Johnstones Paint Trophy and The F.A Cup against Yeovil & Aldershot respectively masked the minor disappointment of Reading's 94th minute Winner at Home Park in the first round of the Carling Cup.

Unable to gain any constant form with up and down results, The Pilgrims were floating just outside of the Play Off spots, but then came the F.A Cup 2nd round tie away to League Leaders Swindon, where a comeback from 2-0 down saw the Green Army come through with the "shock of the round". My half time team talk had worked wonders and following my full time address, suddenly morale was sky high and the Greens went went on a great run, propelling the side tipped to battle relegation into 3rd place. A 3rd round F.A Cup tie at home to Crystal Palace who were flying high in the Championship looked like it could be the fixture to bring the League Two surprise package a wake up call, and when Sean Scannel and Nathaniel Clyne had Palace 0-2 up with 15 minutes, it looked set to be the case. Step up Curtis Nelson, the 18 year old versatile defender had been quietly grafting away down the right side of defence but decided he was going to make a name for himself. A cracking whipped cross from deep on the right was met by Stern John to remind Palace of what they let go. 10 minutes later and a beautiful passing move you'd expect to see adorn the turf of St Mary's rather than that of the pothole ridden surface of Home Park, was met by the Youngster Nelson and smashed into the top corner. 2-2 and game on. The second great comeback of the season was complete when Curtis Nelson yet again supplied the delivery, this time a neat through ball for Gary Wales who tucked past Julian Speroni with just 5 minutes left on the clock. The Pilgrims were through to the F.A Cup 4th round and dreaming of a money spinner. It wasn't to be as the draw saw The Green Army travel to high flying Leicester and Sven's men Dispatched of Plymouth with ease in a 4-1 rout.

Steady progression in the League and the JPT had the supporters starting to return to Home Park following noticeable declines in attendances. Come Christmas they were occupying 4th place and were heading towards the JPT South Area Final against League One Brentford. Things were on the change at Plymouth however, as the club were put up for Sale and a local businessman took on the rains. The new owner come in and immediately applied the pressure, stating that he had intended on bringing in Dean Money to take of the running of the side but with the season progressing well he would give me a bit of time to prove my worth to him. The best news was that he had raised £20,000 for the transfer kitty which may not sound alot but trust me when I say that not having had two pennies to rub together, suddenly having a bit to play with makes a big difference. I made the call to try and plug the defence as we were shipping far to many goals for my liking, and went to Blackpool for a weekend and came home with 35 year old Miguel Llera and £16,000 worse off than when I left. Don't spend it all at once hey? Two more January Signings followed and with a few extra thousand a week on the wage budget I was able to bring in Michael Woods on a free from Chelsea and Thomas Bendiksen also on a free from Rangers, both Centre Mids but adding to significant quality to a squad seriously lacking any depth.

A rocky start to the new year saw a drop in form and a fall from the play-off spots but there was good news, the Green Army were going to be heading to Wembley after seeing off Brentford over two legs in a 4-2 aggregate victory. The battle of Wembley would face the Pilgrims up against Preston and 61,000 watched a fantastic footballing display that saw Preston come out on top in a thrilling 3-2 victory.

The Pilgrims channeled that close defeat into absolute Positivity and went on a run that saw them clinch that final play off spot and were paired up against Rotheram, the only side in the division to do the double over the Greens. That was set to change as a 0-0 draw at Home Park saw the return fixture go to the visitors in a 0-1 victory, sending Plymouth back to Wembley for the 2nd time in a matter of months. The League Two Play-Off Final, Plymouth v Shrewesbury. A healthy crowd of 51,000 saw a tightly contested affair and it took a moment of magic to separate the sides. Matt Richards 25 yard free kick sent the Shrews into raptures as they took a 2-1 lead and that was enough to see of Plymouth and sent the Green Army home from Wembley again with that bitter taste in the mouth.

As much as it was disappointing, there were certainly some major positives to take from a season where the expectation was a season of struggle yet with new owners, 2 trips to Wembley and a decent F.A Cup run meant it was one that will be looked upon with fondness and as a platform to build upon fir the following season.

Edited by saintscottofthenortham

And all thanks to...? ;)

I'm considering starting from scratch. I think it's absurd I leave Berwick and I'm getting Spurs approaching me, Scots division one to Champions League is absurd. To be fair I always start as a former pro, I might set it to automatic and start working for big jobs rather than just getting linked with them all the time.

Just recorded my biggest ever Football Manager win - playing as Crawley we just beat Gillingham 10-0 in the league!

A hat-trick from Matt Tubbs, a hat-trick from Robin Nelisse (as well as 3 assists) and 4 goals from Wesley Thomas sealed the deal. Average team rating was 8.79!

I've just come across this injury bug.

About six players out injured, its ridiculous. I also said 'for the fans' at half time, yet it came up as 'i'm pleased with your performance' AND I'm repeatedly being asked (more or less every day) about match preparation, despite sorting it out. Not impressed with the amount of bugs and problems with this game.

I've just come across this injury bug.

About six players out injured, its ridiculous. I also said 'for the fans' at half time, yet it came up as 'i'm pleased with your performance' AND I'm repeatedly being asked (more or less every day) about match preparation, despite sorting it out. Not impressed with the amount of bugs and problems with this game.

It's just happened AGAIN! TWO PLAYERS, both of them strikers - that makes SIX strikers injured in my game so far and I'm in pre-f*cking-season!

I'm not having any injury problems. Maybe its your training or something like that?

Ditched the 352 due to lack of goals and too many draws. Gone for a 41212 type formation and its working like a treat. 19 games in and only 10 conceded and 1 defeat.

Nope, we're a part-time club so I don't bother with setting up my own schedules - even then, I make sure I never have training levels at 'heavy'. I've posted about the problem on the SI bugs forum, no response yet.

I got bored very quickly with the Swedish second division, so I'm beginning a new game still in Scandinavia. This time I'm going to take worst team in each top flight of Norway, Sweden and Denmark and try to win the title with each. I'm starting off with Norway's Randaberg IL of the Norweigan second division, tipped to finish 16th out of 16 teams despite being in the top division last season. Sounds like a challenge! I might see if I can get Claus as my assistant manager...

Oh and once again, Steam wants to update with the 36MB patch that NEVER finishes downloading. Stupid, STUPID thing.

So if MLG did all the research for Saints on this game, why does it have Lee Holmes as never scoring for us before when he has?

Schoolboy error.

Before his goal this year didn't he only score in the carling cup i thought? Not sure if they include cup goals?

Already tried. Gonna reinstall.

EDIT; nevermind, it's decided to work now...although very slowly.

My copy of FM12 was running slowly, but I switched the game cache to a hard drive with more disk space and stopped Steam from collating data files, now it runs much quicker.

Started a new game unemployed with automatic past experience - got offered the 1860 Munchen job in october, quite pleased with that.

German second division, 13th after 10 games. Won my first game 1-0, solid performance.

Absolutely no money to play with.

Looks like the key to this is getting the star striker back in form and full of confidence again (6.22 and abysmal respectively).

I switched to a 4-3-3, it's worked an absolute treat for me so far. Want me to upload it?

No thank you Mr. SuperMikey, I'm going to persevere - mine's a 4-3-3 anyway, and just look at how saintscottofthenortham is doing. The weird thing is, it still works a treat on Berwick Rangers and we play good stuff, the same stuff that got me all my winning campaigns with Wimbledon in FM11.

Managing abroad though, even in the top flight with a better team than my Berwick side, it struggles big time. Annoying when I want to manage in Scandinavia. It's not as if this tactic hasn't taken sh*t teams to the top either, I've used it with Barnet and Cambridge, I got both into the Championship with successive promotions. Utter confusion at the moment, every time I say I've had enough I go back and try again though. Apart from now, it's 2:30am and time for bed!

Riiight. I've decided I'm going to stick with the tactic that I found so successful, I've discovered if I adjust both the tempo and time wasting through the game depending on how it's going, things change.

I'm going to take over at Sarpsborg '08, tipped to finish bottom of the Norwegian top flight and see what happens. I'm aiming to sign players with a minimum of ten in eight attributes: concentration, determination, team work, work rate, technique, anticipation, creativity and decisions.

Here we go again...!

Utd 10 points clear with 12 games to go again...Rooney...61 goals in 58 games in the league, think he is too over rated in this game.

He scored 6 in one game in an international just now....

I remember giving the Arsenal researcher a b*llcking for his ridiculous ratings for Eduardo. He used to easily score four in a game.