Dropping Out

SuperMikey

I'm in the second year of my course, I still find the subject interesting but that interest is rapidly waning. Good point about it looking bad on my CV though, it's obviously a drawback. I'm just not really sure what having a degree in my subject will achieve apart from an interviewer looking at it and going "Hmm". If I was studying something more vocational then I would be okay, but Anthropology doesn't give me a leg-up on anyone else for a job that I could really be applying for now anway. The job market at the moment is awful though, I applied for 25 jobs over the summer and only one of them got back to me (never had a problem getting a job before this summer) because of the sheer number of applicants at the moment.

Not fussed about finding a highly-paid job, because I think i'll live in squalor and filth regardless of what I get paid in the future anyway, I just want to do something that I love. Discovering Radio (which I have been involved with for a few months Verbal) has been a big thing for me this year, and it's partly led me to this train of thought about dropping out. I've never been a particularly academic person anyway, i've just scraped through where academia is concerned and been happy with that. Uni just seemed like the natural progression because I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life a few years ago. I don't have a much greater idea about that now, but it's starting to dawn on me.

For the sake of 1.5 years, you'd be foolish to drop out now. Your CV will look appalling and it'll show you can't commit yourself and stick to something you've started - you will struggle to justify it and find interviews harder to get, especially as you'll have more explaining to do.

You've got yourself to uni, on a good/interesting degree, you are halfway through - finish the job. You're only losing interest as you've been concentrating on it so long. Once you start your dissertation on a subject you're really keen on, the interest in the subject will come back. I was bored to tears on years 2 and 3 of my degree (Computer Science in the mid 90s), but by the 4th year, I was really fired up to get a good grade, really enjoyed my dissertation and was being interviewed left, right and centre for graduate software jobs. I know times are different in terms of jobs now, but you can still get that interest back, it does happen.

There are loads of avenues with someone with your degree, including as Jackanory posted, a PCGE - schools are still crying out for male teachers!

Anyway - stick with it and finish what you started, you'll regret it otherwise as my friend does who only did 2 years of a degree.

I've looked around on the UCAS website a bit and found a few degree courses in Radio, Production, Broadcast Journalism and that kind of thing. I think that might be the route to go down.

Keep in mind that for the majority of those courses you'll be 'trading down' to a post-92 univ.

And also, most jobs these days aren't so bothered what your course is in, but where it is from. If you are at a Russell Group uni with a 2:1, that'll get you far.

This is only true if you're an elitist snob, of which there are still many in the media industry. But generally, someone who gets a 1st, or even a 2:1 from ANY uni will be well thought of.

For the sake of 1.5 years, you'd be foolish to drop out now. Your CV will look appalling and it'll show you can't commit yourself and stick to something you've started - you will struggle to justify it and find interviews harder to get, especially as you'll have more explaining to do.

You've got yourself to uni, on a good/interesting degree, you are halfway through - finish the job. You're only losing interest as you've been concentrating on it so long. Once you start your dissertation on a subject you're really keen on, the interest in the subject will come back. I was bored to tears on years 2 and 3 of my degree (Computer Science in the mid 90s), but by the 4th year, I was really fired up to get a good grade, really enjoyed my dissertation and was being interviewed left, right and centre for graduate software jobs. I know times are different in terms of jobs now, but you can still get that interest back, it does happen.

There are loads of avenues with someone with your degree, including as Jackanory posted, a PCGE - schools are still crying out for male teachers!

Anyway - stick with it and finish what you started, you'll regret it otherwise as my friend does who only did 2 years of a degree.

Great post. Totally agree. Get your degree, any degree - it shows you are able to learn and can stick at something - which is all most employers are looking for for a first job. Ideally get a 2:1 or better but if you cant be arsed and arent stupid you'll get a 2:2 which you can describe as 2nd class honours on your CV. Although Anthropology isnt 'relevant' it is interesting. Make a virtue of that at interviews. Dont waste your time with journalism or broadcast courses - a massive supply of courses, minimal number of companies looking for the graduates. .

Keep in mind that for the majority of those courses you'll be 'trading down' to a post-92 univ.

That's true, but I think the practical nature of the course would stand me in good stead for a job in that area of the media. The one that i'm most interested in is the BA Hons Radio course at Bournemouth University, it's a reputable Uni which has great links on the course to industry and also isn't too far away from SMS either :D

This is only true if you're an elitist snob, of which there are still many in the media industry. But generally, someone who gets a 1st, or even a 2:1 from ANY uni will be well thought of.

Oh, yes a 2:1 is well thought of, but if you have it from a top university as well, it helps even more because it shows you have a certain intellectual level.

Stick with it SM - the subject matter isn't really that important.

My son read Philosophy and now works for a large computer hardware company; my daughter read Maths and now works for a Housing Association as a project manager (although she does quite a bit of programming so I guess the Maths was helpful). My SiL read Marketing and then did a PGCE.

As others have said, having a degree demonstrates determination and self-discipline as well as the ability to learn. Unless you're doing a 'scientific' degree of course where it might be useful to have a Chemistry degree for example if you're going to be a chemist :D

Stick with the course, anthropology has an advantage in that it's different to the norm and better than a media studies type course, which I would expect has a lower entry criteria so seen as an easier degree and probably will not prepare you for work in the way you'd imagine.

I've seen many graduates come in to business to use what they've learnt in the degree course thinking they know it all and embarrass themselves. As others have said if you can get some work experience while you are studying that would help you most, especially if it's in the industry you plan to work in.

And also, most jobs these days aren't so bothered what your course is in, but where it is from. If you are at a Russell Group uni with a 2:1, that'll get you far.

Here speaks the voice of experience.:rolleyes:

Ultimately the degree gets you the interview, but it's how you come across in the interview that gets you the job. In the current climate of so many pampered know it all young adults any youngster who isn't like that has the biggest advantage.

Ultimately the degree gets you the interview, but it's how you come across in the interview that gets you the job. In the current climate of so many pampered know it all young adults any youngster who isn't like that has the biggest advantage.

I've been hired at the end of every job interview i've ever had (6) - although i'm not pampered, just a know-it-all. I guess i'm just a bit disillusioned with my current course and i'm looking for something new, but if I decide to apply to another degree course then I have to do it before January 15th - which means that I can't really wait until the end of the semester as would be the logical thing to do. It's a tricky one... Calling my parents tonight to see what they think.

Keep with the current course mate. This doesn't mean that you have to give up on the pursuit of the career you want as there will be many ways of achieving this. As has been mentioned, merely having a degree is enough for employers who are recruiting for non vocational positions. Dropping out half way through your current course means that you will forever be explaining why you didn't see it through. Even if the intention to drop out was good, the message which most employers will take from it won't be favorable.

My advice would be to finish the course but put the wheels in motion now for the career you want to pursue. I know a few people who have forged good careers in radio and the wider media without a degree or with a non-descript non-vocational degree. Sometimes drive, enthusiasm, tenacity and a bit of luck is enough to see you to where you want to be.

I've been hired at the end of every job interview i've ever had (6) - although i'm not pampered, just a know-it-all. I guess i'm just a bit disillusioned with my current course and i'm looking for something new, but if I decide to apply to another degree course then I have to do it before January 15th - which means that I can't really wait until the end of the semester as would be the logical thing to do. It's a tricky one... Calling my parents tonight to see what they think.

Are there any courses you know you would definitely enjoy more? If there are, perhaps worth considering a change. But if there aren't, don't underestimate how many courses, esp in the humanities and social sciences, feel the same once you get on the treadmill of reading lists, essays, seminars and lectures. The grass won't be that much greener and you'll just be couped in university a little bit longer.

No matter what your parents say you'll be a huge disappointment and rightly so. You've done over a year and now you're bored. Stop being such a selfish git. It's not all about you, I expect your parents have put a lot of money into getting you this far so you should MAN UP and stop being so me me me.

A 2 1 from a Russell group university does help.

Are there any courses you know you would definitely enjoy more? If there are, perhaps worth considering a change. But if there aren't, don't underestimate how many courses, esp in the humanities and social sciences, feel the same once you get on the treadmill of reading lists, essays, seminars and lectures. The grass won't be that much greener and you'll just be couped in university a little bit longer.

The radio course at Bournemouth Uni that I posted about earlier would definitely interest me, and it's a good course because they require BBB to get on it as opposed to most other courses in that area which require CCC or below. Uni is probably the best place to be right now, when things pick up in a few years time I will have graduated and it'll all be cushty.

No matter what your parents say you'll be a huge disappointment and rightly so. You've done over a year and now you're bored. Stop being such a selfish git. It's not all about you, I expect your parents have put a lot of money into getting you this far so you should MAN UP and stop being so me me me.

The irony.

Stick where you are. Honestly starting an Anthropology degree, dropping out after two years, restarting and emerging at 23 with a degree in radio from Bournemouth just calls out dreamer / waster. It wont do you any favours in the employment market.
ou did

He hasnt done two years - one and a bit.

If you think it looks bad just lie and say you travelled round the world on your CV

Mikey, Bournemouth does have a good reputation in film, TV and radio production. But perhaps a more secure and cost-effective way of dealing with this is to complete your BA in anthropology at what is a very good university, while keeping your radio work up, and then doing a one-year taught MA in radio production. That way you end up with two qualifications in four years instead of one in five - and an MA will be regarded as a superior qualification to a vocational BA.

Mikey, Bournemouth does have a good reputation in film, TV and radio production. But perhaps a more secure and cost-effective way of dealing with this is to complete your BA in anthropology at what is a very good university, while keeping your radio work up, and then doing a one-year taught MA in radio production. That way you end up with two qualifications in four years instead of one in five - and an MA will be regarded as a superior qualification to a vocational BA.

That is a good idea mate, and one that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to talk to my tutor tomorrow about the situation and see what he has to say, but I think at the moment I will probably be chucking in this course (even though I know and appreciate the privileged situation I am in and will be in should I graduate with a good grade - which is unlikely given my grades so far in comparison to the amount of work i've put in), taking a few months out to work and start on a new course in the new academic year.

I know I might seem a bit ungrateful to some on here considering most haven't had the opportunity to go to a good uni and get a degree like I have, but in short I don't think i'm cut out for it. I've never really been a high achiever in academics and tbh I was surprised I even got into Southampton considering I didn't even get the required grades! Radio is something that I really enjoy as opposed to something I find quite interesting and I could see myself doing it for a career, whereas I can't envisage myself doing another year and a half on this degree course because the interest just isn't there anymore. Pffff.

That is a good idea mate, and one that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to talk to my tutor tomorrow about the situation and see what he has to say, but I think at the moment I will probably be chucking in this course (even though I know and appreciate the privileged situation I am in and will be in should I graduate with a good grade - which is unlikely given my grades so far in comparison to the amount of work i've put in), taking a few months out to work and start on a new course in the new academic year.

I know I might seem a bit ungrateful to some on here considering most haven't had the opportunity to go to a good uni and get a degree like I have, but in short I don't think i'm cut out for it. I've never really been a high achiever in academics and tbh I was surprised I even got into Southampton considering I didn't even get the required grades! Radio is something that I really enjoy as opposed to something I find quite interesting and I could see myself doing it for a career, whereas I can't envisage myself doing another year and a half on this degree course because the interest just isn't there anymore. Pffff.

You're silly if you give up. All great people are defined by set-backs. Take this dip and turn it into a strength!

I'm taking the dip and turning a corner. Could work out, could not work out. Plenty of bridges in Southampton if all doesn't go to plan ;)

Well if it all goes wrong and you end up living in a cardboard box at least you'll still have your bracelets.

So what did mummy and daddy have to say?

I only spoke to my dad about it, he originally did Law at Aberdeen before leaving to do Modern Foreign Languages at Southampton so he knows a bit about it. He said if I was unhappy on the course then they would support me with whatever I choose to do, they just want me to have a good time and get a degree. He suggested I talk to my tutor tomorrow about my worries and call him tomorrow evening. I love my parents!

I seriously doubt you'd get a third. You have to be both stupid and lazy to get a third in a humanities subject. I was plain bone idle for my degree, did nothing and wrote most of the 10,000 word final dissertation in the lecture hall in two hours before the deadline for handing it in and got a 2:2 (uprated to 'getting a second' at interviews). Ultimately only you know what you should do. If you genuinely cant hack the course then chuck it - it wont be the end of the world. However I genuinely think you will make life easier for yourself and end up with more options if you get a reasonable degree from Southampton.

I seriously doubt you'd get a third. You have to be both stupid and lazy to get a third in a humanities subject. I was plain bone idle for my degree, did nothing and wrote most of the 10,000 word final dissertation in the lecture hall in two hours before the deadline for handing it in and got a 2:2 (uprated to 'getting a second' at interviews). Ultimately only you know what you should do. If you genuinely cant hack the course then chuck it - it wont be the end of the world. However I genuinely think you will make life easier for yourself and end up with more options if you get a reasonable degree from Southampton.

I got a third in my first year, and I decided to step up my workrate considering this year actually counts towards my degree, but grades have remained constant at a third. Last year I dossed about a lot, but this year i've knuckled down and really worked hard, but i've found that the interest just isn't there anymore and my grades aren't improving. That coupled with there being no clear career path in a difficult climate for non job-specific graduates has made my mind up. I might live to regret this in later life, but for now I think it's the right move for me.

Is it that much worse than a third in Anthropology? I'd have a much better chance of getting a good grade in that at least.

A third - for real? Surely, the first year didnt count much -if anything- to your classification, so its still up for grabs. Why the panic?

But if you are heading for a car crash, perhaps it is better to use the ejector seat. A third is a pretty heavy stigma to shake off - and a degree may blemish rather than enhance your CV. As others say, Bournemouth has a v.good reputation for media and done more than any institution to rescue the discipline from mickey-mouse status. What are your chances of getting in?

I got a third in my first year, and I decided to step up my workrate considering this year actually counts towards my degree, but grades have remained constant at a third. Last year I dossed about a lot, but this year i've knuckled down and really worked hard, but i've found that the interest just isn't there anymore and my grades aren't improving. That coupled with there being no clear career path in a difficult climate for non job-specific graduates has made my mind up. I might live to regret this in later life, but for now I think it's the right move for me.

Well you've been warned by people who know best, but if your mind's made up good luck. But please don't give us all this sh/t about knuckling down this year because despite being an annoying brat with clueless political views, you have shown through your posts that you can waffle for England and thus you could have written some bullsh/t and received far better grades. This is why you should stick with the course and pass it.

Have you bunked off lots of lectures? Be honest.

Edited by dune

A third - for real? Surely, the first year didnt count much -if anything- to your classification, so its still up for grabs. Why the panic?

But if you are heading for a car crash, perhaps it is better to use the ejector seat. A third is a pretty heavy stigma to shake off - and a degree may blemish rather than enhance your CV. As others say, Bournemouth has a v.good reputation for media and done more than any institution to rescue the discipline from mickey-mouse status. What are your chances of getting in?

That's the thing, I don't want to spend 3 years of my life to get a degree that people are going to look at and think i'm sh!t because I didn't get a 2:1 or a first. My chances of getting into Bournemouth are very high, I have a background in media having written for a few student publications and also been involved with student TV and radio. The UCAS points requirement is 300 (equivalent to BBB) and I have 340 points (BCCC) so I think i'll be okay for that. The deadline for applications is January 15th, and because I already have the qualifications and the uni don't have to wait to confirm or reject my place, I should know if i'm in a few months after that deadline. I'll take more shifts on in my current job or pack it in and get a job somewhere else for a few months (I have the contacts to get a job working in the Highlands at a posh hotel) before hopefully heading off to Bournemuff in the autumn.

It seems ungrateful considering the advice people have given me on this thread, and I appreciate it greatly, but I think my mind was made up from the start really.

Why do it the hard way? Nothing will change in Bournemouth. There is an underlying problem here and it has nothing to do with the course. Are you smoking too much dope by any chance?

Why do it the hard way? Nothing will change in Bournemouth. There is an underlying problem here and it has nothing to do with the course. Are you smoking too much dope by any chance?

The underlying problem is the subject i'm studying I think, I love uni life but the interest in my course is fading very very quickly.

My chances of getting into Bournemouth are very high, I have a background in media having written for a few student publications and also been involved with student TV and radio. The UCAS points requirement is 300 (equivalent to BBB) and I have 340 points (BCCC) so I think i'll be okay for that.

You should speak to them before jacking in Southampton. The minimum entry requirement is "300 tariff points, typically from 3 A-levels or equivalent". BCCC isnt the same as BBB, especially if you have already had a false start.

That's the thing, I don't want to spend 3 years of my life to get a degree that people are going to look at and think i'm sh!t because I didn't get a 2:1 or a first. My chances of getting into Bournemouth are very high, I have a background in media having written for a few student publications and also been involved with student TV and radio. The UCAS points requirement is 300 (equivalent to BBB) and I have 340 points (BCCC) so I think i'll be okay for that. The deadline for applications is January 15th, and because I already have the qualifications and the uni don't have to wait to confirm or reject my place, I should know if i'm in a few months after that deadline. I'll take more shifts on in my current job or pack it in and get a job somewhere else for a few months (I have the contacts to get a job working in the Highlands at a posh hotel) before hopefully heading off to Bournemuff in the autumn.

That makes quite a bit of sense.

Would have a word with your tutor, though, and its crucial that you discuss with him ways to mitigate the risks.The worst scenario would be to drop out of soton, put all your money on b'mouth (cos there aren't many other credible places out there doing what you want) and come out empty-handed. The UCAS points requirement is just a basic threshold (and I assume its BBB) and there'll be quite a few applicants clearing it easily. Your hands-on experience will stand you in good stead; but stranger things have happened.

You should speak to them before jacking in Southampton. The minimum entry requirement is "300 tariff points, typically from 3 A-levels or equivalent". BCCC isnt the same as BBB, especially if you have already had a false start.

Southampton had the same requirements and I got in with the same grades. I'm calling them tomorrow before I speak to my tutor just to get some more info on the course and to possibly go and have a look around the facilities.

I know two people who got 1st's at Bournemouth uni, one in TV production and the other from some other media course. One works in telesales, cold calling people all day long, and the other works at ASDA.

1st class degrees, remember. Media degrees can be worthless mikey, anyone (it seems) can get a "good one" and there aren't the jobs about to make it worthwhile IMO.

Edited by Saint_Jonny

I've been hired at the end of every job interview i've ever had (6) - although i'm not pampered, just a know-it-all. I guess i'm just a bit disillusioned with my current course and i'm looking for something new,

It seems ungrateful considering the advice people have given me on this thread, and I appreciate it greatly, but I think my mind was made up from the start really.

Massively ungrateful to the point I must ask, are you Trolling?

For me, in the three posts highlighted above, you have demonstrated that you are just a nasty, selfish, self indulgent, deluded, silly little boy who has no respect for the education system or those that strive just to be a part of it. Mummy and Daddy must be extremely disappointed by you and your 'drop out' mentality... of course they will stick by you, but when telling their piers what you are up to, they will look down with an element of shame, and possibly some deep breathing.

At one point your saying you get jobs thrown at you, that you are a no it all... in your next breath you are saying you have achieved the lowest grading catagory around consisitenly since your time on this course. To me that suggests you are simply not cut out for it, you dont have the natural drive to see a challenge through and the mental capacity aint quite as great as your pigeon chesting would suggest.

You have denied a student a place on your current course, and you are failing miserably too... I have no doubt that you will do the same to somebody in your radio school. People can run decent radio stations out of there bedrooms these days, without a qualification.

You will get f*cking destroyed in the real world, forget your little waitressing jobs... quitters dont last a minute in the free market and you wont have your tutors, mummy or daddy either to comfort your delicate little mind or pick up your dummy after you.

Disgraceful attitude.

I know two people who got 1st's at Bournemouth uni, one in TV production and the other from some other media course. One works in telesales, cold calling people all day long, and the other works at ASDA.

1st class degrees, remember. Media degrees can be worthless mikey, anyone (it seems) can get a "good one" and there aren't the jobs about to make it worthwhile IMO.

*lolling at incoming response from Verbal*

Massively ungrateful to the point I must ask, are you Trolling?

For me, in the three posts highlighted above, you have demonstrated that you are just a nasty, selfish, self indulgent, deluded, silly little boy who has no respect for the education system or those that strive just to be a part of it. Mummy and Daddy must be extremely disappointed by you and your 'drop out' mentality... of course they will stick by you, but when telling their piers what you are up to, they will look down with an element of shame, and possibly some deep breathing.

At one point your saying you get jobs thrown at you, that you are a no it all... in your next breath you are saying you have achieved the lowest grading catagory around consisitenly since your time on this course. To me that suggests you are simply not cut out for it, you dont have the natural drive to see a challenge through and the mental capacity aint quite as great as your pigeon chesting would suggest.

You have denied a student a place on your current course, and you are failing miserably too... I have no doubt that you will do the same to somebody in your radio school. People can run decent radio stations out of there bedrooms these days, without a qualification.

You will get f*cking destroyed in the real world, forget your little waitressing jobs... quitters dont last a minute in the free market and you wont have your tutors, mummy or daddy either to comfort your delicate little mind or pick up your dummy after you.

Disgraceful attitude.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, i'll carry them with me always xxx

The underlying problem is the subject i'm studying I think, I love uni life but the interest in my course is fading very very quickly.

Stick with it if at all possible. Can you change your course mid-stream? One of my fellow students did a 3 year engineering course and at the end decided that he really wanted to do law so our tutor found him another grant (those were the days!) and he then did a 2 year law course and became a barrister, wig and all that. Until you're about 21 you don't really know what you want to be doing for the rest of your life.

I will say that there are precious few opportunites for graduates in 'media studies' of any sort.