Who is choosing our signings?

Mole

I've just watched the Preston Preview on Saints TV and in the interview with Jan Portvliet his comments on Alex Pearce were:

"I saw him today and i never meet him personally"

So is this Lowe's signing, or is Wotte choosing the players?

It all seems a rather strange set up to me and explains why Nigel Pearson wasn't kept on. No manager worth their salt would have players picked for them. The more i hear about the way Saints is managed the more i fear for the club.

as long as they are good I dont mind although it would be best that the manager does so, although coach may be the word, a coach coaches the players not chooses them

This all sounds very similar to the set up at Spurs that saw them bottom of the table and without and win all season.

Surely its scouts that do the leg work and reccomend players to the club, be this Lowe or Jan, in anycase Lowe and Wilde will have to be approached as they control the money so they have the final say just as in any club, I seriously doubt Lowe has available players names that he likes in a hat and draws one out and announces that Jan will be recieving him in the near future

Surely its scouts that do the leg work and reccomend players to the club, be this Lowe or Jan, in anycase Lowe and Wilde will have to be approached as they control the money so they have the final say just as in any club, I seriously doubt Lowe has available players names that he likes in a hat and draws one out and announces that Jan will be recieving him in the near future

No, but from Jans comments it's near as damnit what happens. Jan had not even met Alex Pearce before the signing! Can you imagine Alex Fergusson or Arsene Wenger going along with something like this?

Forget the spin about Pearson being too expensive, or Pearson not being skilled at working with kids, the reason Pearson was disposed of was because Lowe wanted a yes man.

Don't worry about it we now have the Abu Dhabi’s royal family involved with SFC... so should have some so called big names shortly...

>>

Barclays is to raise £7.3 billion from investors after securing a £5.8 billion cash injection from investors in Qatar and Abu Dhabi, in exchange for a stake of over 30 per cent in the British lender. The bank announced this morning that it will raise up to £2 billion pounds from Qatar Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), an existing shareholder, and its associated holdings, and £300 million from Challenger, an investment vehicle of a member of Qatar’s royal family.

It will also raise £3.5 billion from Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of Abu Dhabi’s royal family, which would give him a 16.3 per cent stake in the bank.

Barclays is seeking to raise up to a further £1.5 billion from existing and other investors.

Hello is that John Madejski..... Rupey here, hows it going Jonny - still selling lots of your Auto-trader books? Wondered if you'd like to stump up a bit of sponsorship for our duck shoot next week - Whats that? - you've got a young centre back kicking his heels in the stiffs - send him down I'll get Jan to give him a game or two - as long as you keep paying his wages Jonny, only too happy to help.

I'll wait for your cheque then and and look forward to seeing you for the shoot -

Toodle-Oo........

No, but from Jans comments it's near as damnit what happens. Jan had not even met Alex Pearce before the signing! Can you imagine Alex Fergusson or Arsene Wenger going along with something like this?

Forget the spin about Pearson being too expensive, or Pearson not being skilled at working with kids, the reason Pearson was disposed of was because Lowe wanted a yes man.

are you suggesting Alex F met Berbatov for discission before the night ne signed?;)

Radio interview I heard JP said he had been to see him play a couple of times.

as long as they are good I dont mind although it would be best that the manager does so, although coach may be the word, a coach coaches the players not chooses them

But one manager's "good" player is another manager's donkey. Saints fans of all people surely know this, different manager rate different players that's why it's best if the manager chooses the players.

To be fair, IF it is Rupert making these signings then you've got to say he's not doing too badly so far considering financial constraints. He could be doing far worse, that's for sure.

What you mean that instead of just being in the relegation zone we could be rock bottom or perhaps bottom but one.

If this is how we do when Rupert is choosing good signings , I dread to think where we will be when he chooses one or two duds.

Under Lowe, before and now, we have a transfer group at St Mary's that pulls together the interested parties to make a decision. Boringly I think it works at Saints in very much the same way as it does in many clubs.

Players are recruited based on one of :

1) An agent / club touting them around.

2) A manager / coach requiring someone in a particular role.

3) Scout / Manager / Chairman seeing them play and recommending them.

You wouldn't expect a player to be signed without Lowe / Wilde's involvement because they need to decide if we can afford the price and the wages. Equally the manager has to decide that he wants them and this would involve seeing them play (in the flesh or on video).

YOU WOULD NOT EXPECT THE MANAGER TO MEET THE PLAYER BEFORE HIS CLUB AGREES WE CAN SIGN HIM - that's called tapping up.

After this though, I would have expected someone in the club to have met the guy and seen whether he was a **** or not and fed that in. I don't think it needs to be JP to do this, especially when it is a short term loan (we can always send him back if there's a personality clash. Reason? "He's a ****").

The only exception I suspect is maybe Pulis which I personally think was a sweetner on the Davis deal. And if it got us more for Davies (once you've netted off wages) then that has got to be a good thing.

What I don't get is what is the problem here? We've signed some cracking players recently (Holmes and Schiederlin) so to me it looks like it is working.

Edited by Alain Perrin

What you mean that instead of just being in the relegation zone we could be rock bottom or perhaps bottom but one.

If this is how we do when Rupert is choosing good signings , I dread to think where we will be when he chooses one or two duds.

If we hadn't had so many injuries to key players like Schneiderlin, or Holmes, then yes, I don't believe we'd be in the bottom 3, or even the bottom 4, which is where the 'mercurial' Nigel Pearson got us to...

If we hadn't had so many injuries to key players like Schneiderlin, or Holmes, then yes, I don't believe we'd be in the bottom 3, or even the bottom 4, which is where the 'mercurial' Nigel Pearson got us to...

Seeing we can't put the ball in the net or keep it out from set-pieces, I don't think having 2 more midfield players fit makes a blind bit of difference.

Because we won so many games with Schneiderlin and Holmes in the side...

,,,, Or a "Ya" man ..... or a "da" man ....?

Spot on post though .... it really is about time people realised just WHO runs the Football Team at SMS ........

... It certainly is NOT Edam & Gouder ........

Because we won so many games with Schneiderlin and Holmes in the side...

And we won so many games under Pearson? What is your point? Are you saying that you don't think that he has made any decent signings then, and that all the signings we've made over the past 3 years have been better? Because if you are you are a) a liar, and b) an idiot.

Last post of the day...

,,,, Or a "Ya" man ..... or a "da" man ....?

Spot on post though .... it really is about time people realised just WHO runs the Football Team at SMS ........

... It certainly is NOT Edam & Gouder ........

catch up -the chairman runs every club. Managers don't watch every player personally. etc

And we won so many games under Pearson? What is your point? Are you saying that you don't think that he has made any decent signings then, and that all the signings we've made over the past 3 years have been better? Because if you are you are a) a liar, and b) an idiot.

Last post of the day...

Since last season we have signed 11 new players:

Paul Wotton

Lee Holmes

Tommy Forecast

Romain Gasmi

Morgan Schneiderlin

Jack Cork

Tomas Pekhart

Jordan Robertson

Ryan smith

Anthony Pulis

Alex Pearce

This new set up has had the resources to build their own team, there are teams with less resources than us in this league so there can be no excuses if we go down.

Since last season we have signed 11 new players:

Paul Wotton

Lee Holmes

Tommy Forecast

Romain Gasmi

Morgan Schneiderlin

Jack Cork

Tomas Pekhart

Jordan Robertson

Ryan smith

Anthony Pulis

Alex Pearce

This new set up has had the resources to build their own team, there are teams with less resources than us in this league so there can be no excuses if we go down.

We have signed a lot of players but as I see it there are two main problems with that group of players.

Firstly the majority have a reputation as ones for the future with good potential which is great but we do need some more NOW men. They all bar Wotton lack experience.

Secondly in a squad already short of full backs and centre backs amongst those 11 players only two are defenders. In my experience of good and successful football teams the 'building from the back' part is the essential bit to get right.

If your defence is consistent and strong then with experience of playing together the goals will stop to flow against you. Once this happens you then usually only need to score one goal to win a match!

Which of course is entirely the fault of the players we've signed since the end of last season... :rolleyes:

No, it's entirely the fault of Mike Wilde.

If Wilde hadn't brought Lowe back we wouldn't have a manager who is told which players he signs and we wouldn't be playing kids.

The whole crackpot strategy of the club under Lowe of playing with kids will see us relegated.

I'm sure the decisions who to buy and who not to buy are not made by Lowe. That's what he has a scouting team for. I'm sure that JP gives the orders on what type of players he wants (In the case of Pearce he could have asked for a CB with plenty of aerial power) and then the scouting team identify a few players that are available and this is when Lowe tries to see which of these targets is best financially. I do not see a huge problem with this structure, especially if it concerns loans. I would hope that JP would be involved in buying players a bit more then that (although he might not be if you read his comments about Schneiderlin). If there's one area in which we have not been doing to badly its is scouting, almost all players that have been brought in so far have had their use for the first team. I would be more interested in how it works when a player needs to be sold.

If, if, if. If we'd had the best strikers and the best defenders in the Premiership last season, we'd be in the up there in the Premiership now.

And I'd rather Pearson than JP any day.

No, it's entirely the fault of Mike Wilde.

If Wilde hadn't brought Lowe back we wouldn't have a manager who is told which players he signs and we wouldn't be playing kids.

The whole crackpot strategy of the club under Lowe of playing with kids will see us relegated.

Stanley even if Lowe had not come back NP would have been under tremendous financial restraints and almost certainly not had any of the players gone in his squad either. He may have kept one of them but of course he would have to have made savings elsewhere

We had a dose of RL leaving before and that did not move us forward, unless someone comes in and spends a lot on the squad we will be here for a while. Staying up is the only proper objective at the moment

As did Burley, Dodd/Gorman.....at least Pearson got us out of it!

Can you see us getting out of it soon?

Interesting to see that Holmes is this seasons magical awesome player now that he has been injured yet the one I saw play was crossing the ball into the box with just one attacker against four defenders how many goals did we score from his play!

Derby must be cursing their luck letting such a great player go.

If, if, if. If we'd had the best strikers and the best defenders in the Premiership last season, we'd be in the up there in the Premiership now.

And I'd rather Pearson than JP any day.

Wes NP will be a thorn in the clubs side for quite a time. If he gets Leicsestr up (which he should do comfortably) fans will harp on how good he is and so will be a negative for the club.If he fails to get them up with a good CCC quality squad then perhaps fans will not be so sure about his longterm ability as a manager.

Interesting to see that Holmes is this seasons magical awesome player now that he has been injured yet the one I saw play was crossing the ball into the box with just one attacker against four defenders how many goals did we score from his play!

Ron you are normally a bit more subjective, Holmes was doing well and I think we have missed him.

He had only just got his form back and was dangerous, I hope he returns soon and plays a part in our climb to safety.

We have signed a lot of players but as I see it there are two main problems with that group of players.

Firstly the majority have a reputation as ones for the future with good potential which is great but we do need some more NOW men. They all bar Wotton lack experience.

Secondly in a squad already short of full backs and centre backs amongst those 11 players only two are defenders. In my experience of good and successful football teams the 'building from the back' part is the essential bit to get right.

If your defence is consistent and strong then with experience of playing together the goals will stop to flow against you. Once this happens you then usually only need to score one goal to win a match!

Thirdly, a lot of them are loan signings and will be going back to their respective clubs in January/end of the season.

what position were we when gb left? and dodd/gorman left? not sure you are right.

Holmes was playing well and you are right there were many threads on the equivalent of this for Derby fans, after he played well for us there cursing his departure.

Ron you are normally a bit more subjective, Holmes was doing well and I think we have missed him.

He had only just got his form back and was dangerous, I hope he returns soon and plays a part in our climb to safety.

Sorry I never meant it to sound like he wasn't doing well and I thought he looked good in a couple of games but reading some of the posts on here it makes him sound like a cross between MLT and Maradona!

He did give us a good pattern of play down the left and I do think we have missed him but until we get more players into the box on the end of crosses

and shore up the ridiculous defence that can't win a header we will not get out of the bottom 3.

Hopefully Pearce can help here ....Nick have you heard any whispers about an experienced defender possibly coming....ex Liverpool, Blackburn, Leeds and Stoke??

what position were we when gb left? and dodd/gorman left? not sure you are right.

Holmes was playing well and you are right there were many threads on the equivalent of this for Derby fans, after he played well for us there cursing his departure.

Read the post again...I said GB, Dodd and Gorman had us in the bottom three...not when they left its not an unusual sight for a Saints fan and any manager can get us there!

Last post of the day...

Ah well. Come back when you can afford a fiver.

Wes NP will be a thorn in the clubs side for quite a time. If he gets Leicsestr up (which he should do comfortably) fans will harp on how good he is and so will be a negative for the club.If he fails to get them up with a good CCC quality squad then perhaps fans will not be so sure about his longterm ability as a manager.

If they had that they wouldn't have got relegated?

If we go down would you expect us to walk back up again?

If Leicester come up Pearson has done a brilliant job of arresting the despair at a club at its lowest ebb for decades.... sound familiar?

Some people keep talking about our scouting network but i believe that was dismantled after relegation as one of the cost savings introduced by Rupert then along with withdrawing support from the ladies side and charging the Tyro to use the Dell Bar for meetings.

The Scouts we have now are independents and paid by commission which probably means we will not be getting first shout for any really good young players or non league players because they will be touted to other clubs first.

I actually feel sorry for Pearce because their are some on here who , without seeing him play, are bigging up into the next Alan Hansen already just like they have done with every loanee we have signed this season but other than Cork and Morgan the rest are struggling to hold down a place in the best 11