Poppy Shirts

Matthew Le Tissier

To add to my earlier post it seems that the the club are charged £4ish to have each poppy shirts done.

Is it not possible for our chairman to put his hand in his pocket and pay the £100 or so to have these shirt's done and in the process raise a lot of money for a worthwhile charity ?

I know our club is in the sh*te but come on!

Shame on you Southampton Football Club.

To add to my earlier post it seems that the the club are charged £4ish to have each poppy shirts done.

Is it not possible for our chairman to put his hand in his pocket and pay the £100 or so to have these shirt's done and in the process raise a lot of money for a worthwhile charity ?

I know our club is in the sh*te but come on!

Shame on you Southampton Football Club.

If this was the case, they would of done it, you don't even know that they're not doing it yet.

Anyone else find it quite sad that the club cant be bothered to get poppy shirts this year and raise allot of money for a great cause!!

Tossers

I always wear my poppy with pride etc, but I think we're getting a bit worked up here.

Saints players wearing shirts with poppies embroidered into them doesn't in itself raise "lots of money" does it?

And for those playing the "Southampton wouldn't be here but for the sacrifices etc etc" card is all a bit silly.

Embroidered Poppy shirts didn't really exist until a few years ago. So do we say "shame on you" to the Lawrie Mac Saints team of, say, 1984? They didn't wear poppies embroidered into the shirts either.

Maybe they're attempting to avoid a potentially embarassing situation where we raise bugger all for some of our "stars"? We don't exactly have the big name draw players like we have had in previous seasons...i can't imagine people scrambling to spend big money on a poppy shirt with Lloyd James' name on it...no offence to the lad of course as i quite like him...

Just a theory btw...not an excuse to have a pop at me...

I always wear my poppy with pride etc, but I think we're getting a bit worked up here.

Saints players wearing shirts with poppies embroidered into them doesn't in itself raise "lots of money" does it?

And for those playing the "Southampton wouldn't be here but for the sacrifices etc etc" card is all a bit silly.

Embroidered Poppy shirts didn't really exist until a few years ago. So do we say "shame on you" to the Lawrie Mac Saints team of, say, 1984? They didn't wear poppies embroidered into the shirts either.

Maybe shows little respect or a lack of connection with the average fan and the city of Southampton as a whole?...or more cynically another PR opportunity missed. Perhaps Barclays would see it as financially irresponsible for all those administration scaremongers!

A touch dramatic.

I think the poppy appeal makes enough money already.

Oh behave, football is meoldramatic by nature, and besides, i'm only stating a fact. My family was decimated by the world wars so please do not try and f**king patronise me by calling my statement over the top.

Oh behave, football is meoldramatic by nature, and besides, i'm only stating a fact. My family was decimated by the world wars so please do not try and f**king patronise me by calling my statement over the top.

You are not stating a fact, I'm sorry if your family is one of thousands that lost someone but that doesn't mean others cant have an opinion and in my opinion you are talking bol***ks.

You are not stating a fact, I'm sorry if your family is one of thousands that lost someone but that doesn't mean others cant have an opinion and in my opinion you are talking bol***ks.

And in my opinion you are out of order to be stating that to me. I am greatly offended by it. The gesture football clubs can make is the smallest of things to do, and yet it represents so much. It shows so much respect for our heritage.

Tell me, do you wear a Poppy? Or are you one of the ignorant many who considers it to mean nothing? Who does not understand what it means? Who cannot appreciate that 40 million casualties resulted from World War 1 alone, the war from which the poppy gains significance, and you cannot feel any respect for it?

The Poppy appeal means a lot to me after the loses my family felt. And the similar loses millions of other families did too.

By all means say I am talking B*llocks.

And by all means go to hell for it.

Edited by Colinjb

Maybe they're attempting to avoid a potentially embarassing situation where we raise bugger all for some of our "stars"? We don't exactly have the big name draw players like we have had in previous seasons...i can't imagine people scrambling to spend big money on a poppy shirt with Lloyd James' name on it...no offence to the lad of course as i quite like him...

Just a theory btw...not an excuse to have a pop at me...

This could be the point! Although in the past even not particularly popular players at the time like Wright still went for reasonable amounts. And the shirts from the 5 - 0 defeat did ok.

At least it will save me some cash, will bung a few extra quid in the collecting tin.

Only three charities I support year-in, year-out:

1. Poppy Appeal - Royal British Legion

2. RNLI - life boats

3. Southampton Football Club

Why?

1. Brave men and women who put their lives at risk so I don't have to speak German or Arabic.

2. Brave men and women who put their lives at risk so I don't have to drown when the Red Jet sinks.

3. 'cause we are broke and need support!

I spoke to Leighton Mitchell about this this morning.

Essentially it's not about not being bothered or not believing they'd raise much money etc. It comes down to not having the staff to run it. Because they have alway run the auction in-house, that basically means that at least one member of staff has to be dedicated to running it from an administrative point of view. That person has to continually check each of the auctions for rogue bids (of which there are many more than genuine ones, sadly), field various queries relating to the auctions, and then attempt to contact the winning bidders to arrange payment and postage/collection.

I know that ebay offer discounts/refunds on listings that donate a portion (or all) of the proceeds to charity, so I have suggested that it could still be run through that with very little administrative or financial burden. I'm waiting to hear back on that idea...

It's worth pointing out that the vast majority of other clubs don't do anything like this, and apparently SFC has raised the most money for the RBL in the last 3 years (more than £20k) out of all of the Premier League and Football League clubs.

I e-mailed Leighton Mitchell asking him why no poppy shirts this year. He replied:

"Thank you for your email.

"Unfortunately this year we are unable to participate in the poppy appeal due to reduced staff numbers and the significant amount of administration time the campaign requires.

"We are very proud to have raised over £20,000 over the last 3 years for such a worthy cause and I am not aware of any other football club that has raised anywhere near this much.

"We hope to be able to participate again in the future."

This year then, if anyone wants to donate direct to the Poppy Appeal, it's easily done at http://www.poppy.org

Edited by Bromley Saint
Leighton is, in fact, male!

That email is a total cop out and a load of bull****e!

i have collected shirts for years and Southampton are not the only club to do this with the poppy's.many other clubs do this and raise lots of money, however Southampton for some reason have always been the only ones who decide to hold the auction on there own website and get nothing but problems and fake bids as its not set up to hold a decent auction??

all the other clubs do is simply open a eBay account called for example (southamptonfcpoppyshirts) and sell the shirts through eBay. the shirts are sold the money goes in Southampton FC bank account.then Southampton fc write a cheque to the charity, how hard is that, even eBay do all the hard work and run the auction, all they have to do is add the shirts on as a auction, this will take approx 2 minutes per shirt and will not need any attention until its time to post them.

Ps... the charity collecting you refer to on eBay is.... if i personally sell something i can tick the box and 20 or 25% of the final value will be deducted and sent to charity. however if i don't tick this box and get the full amount sent to me i can then send a cheque for the full amount to the charity, its not rocket science!

so Leighton Mitchell. i think you are talking out of your bum hole.

Edited by Matthew Le Tissier

That email is a total cop out and a load of bull****e!

i have collected shirts for years and Southampton are not the only club to do this with the poppy's.many other clubs do this and raise lots of money, however Southampton for some reason have always been the only ones who decide to hold the auction on there own website and get nothing but problems and fake bids as its not set up to hold a decent auction??

all the other clubs do is simply open a eBay account called for example (southamptonfcpoppyshirts) and sell the shirts through eBay. the shirts are sold the money goes in Southampton FC bank account.then Southampton fc write a cheque to the charity, how hard is that, even eBay do all the hard work and run the auction, all they have to do is add the shirts on as a auction, this will take approx 2 minutes per shirt and will not need any attention until its time to post them.

Ps... the charity collecting you refer to on eBay is.... if i personally sell something i can tick the box and 20 or 25% of the final value will be deducted and sent to charity. however if i don't tick this box and get the full amount sent to me i can then send a cheque for the full amount to the charity, its not rocket science!

so Leighton Mitchell. i think you are talking out of your bum hole.

For example - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Simon-Francis-Poppy-Appeal-Southend-United-Shirt_W0QQitemZ250319396656QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250319396656&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1121|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I've just emailed Leighton Mitchell again and shown him what Southend are doing and asking Saints to consider similar for next year.

Will let you know what he says.

Good luck to the team for tomorrow!!

Helpful reply from Leighton today:

"Thanks for the email. The EBay option was mentioned to me yesterday, unfortunately not being an EBay user myself I wasn't aware of this.

"I will definitely consider it for next year, however hopefully we will be in a position to run our normal campaign again."

Leighton is male !

As for him getting loads of grief over this, I would expect it came from someone in the commerical dept and not the megastore

AND QUITE ****ING RIGHTLY - THEY COULD STILL AUCTION THE SHIRTS FROM TODAYS GAME - but they wont because they are:

1 So far up their own arse

2 They have no respect for the fans or more importantly the CLub

3 THey are morons

4 They should all be fired and replaced with people who have passion, belief and proper moral values

we didn't have time! ******** we could n't be ****ed!

The Club ducked out of the Sophies gift charity gala and now this.

And Wilde and Lowe are meant to be multi millionaire high profile business men that will lead us from the clutches of administration and drive us back to the premier league - but they can't even organise to auction 15 shirts - the writing is on the wall for this club.

.... and why we are on the point of it anyone who reads the history of the club will know how many of our players went off to fight in the second world war so that we could write on walls and forums! Anyone who doesn't support the poppy appeal is quite simply a cun't.. end of. Take a walk around the graveyards of southampton and see how many war graves you can see of nippers not more that 19, 20 that gave there lives for the freedom of the modern world and tell me again that the poppy appeal has made enough money -THERE ARE SOME REAL **** SUCKERS on here that adds to my belief that the club will disappear up it own arse hole. - for me another nail in the coffin today!

AND QUITE ****ING RIGHTLY - THEY COULD STILL AUCTION THE SHIRTS FROM TODAYS GAME - but they wont because they are:

1 So far up their own arse

2 They have no respect for the fans or more importantly the CLub

3 THey are morons

4 They should all be fired and replaced with people who have passion, belief and proper moral values

we didn't have time! ******** we could n't be ****ed!

The Club ducked out of the Sophies gift charity gala and now this.

And Wilde and Lowe are meant to be multi millionaire high profile business men that will lead us from the clutches of administration and drive us back to the premier league - but they can't even organise to auction 15 shirts - the writing is on the wall for this club.

.... and why we are on the point of it anyone who reads the history of the club will know how many of our players went off to fight in the second world war so that we could write on walls and forums! Anyone who doesn't support the poppy appeal is quite simply a cun't.. end of. Take a walk around the graveyards of southampton and see how many war graves you can see of nippers not more that 19, 20 that gave there lives for the freedom of the modern world and tell me again that the poppy appeal has made enough money -THERE ARE SOME REAL **** SUCKERS on here that adds to my belief that the club will disappear up it own arse hole. - for me another nail in the coffin today!

Email the club and offer the X amount of pounds for whichever players shirt you want as long as the money you give for the shirt goes to the poppy appeal. See if they are willing to. You never know maybe the player will cough up the readies for his shirt so total profits go to a very worthwhile cause.

Email the club and offer the X amount of pounds for whichever players shirt you want as long as the money you give for the shirt goes to the poppy appeal. See if they are willing to. You never know maybe the player will cough up the readies for his shirt so total profits go to a very worthwhile cause.

As the echo pointed out on thursday the lads are already paying for any shirts that they give away - I will be phoning the club on Monday to see if I can talk to LM or RL or MW - we cannot keep having situations and events being so badly mis handled. To me this is the third fiasco in quick time-

1. Ted bates Statue Cluster F U C K - DISGRACE

2 Sophies Gift - SHAMEFUL

3. Poppy Appeal - Excuse give Beyond Belief

There are some things which we need to be seen buying into - and this is quite simply one of them - The whole point of rememberance is to take a little bit of time to remember the millions of people that have been caught up in these awful tragedies o that it might just stop it from happning again and we can't even, according to the club spend a couple of hours organising this. AND FOR THE HEAD OF RETAIL TO SAY HE IS NOT AWARE OF EBAY - amazing!

We miss opportunity after opportunity and it goes from bad to worse - and we have to keep suffering it - surely there must be some solution

As the echo pointed out on thursday the lads are already paying for any shirts that they give away - I will be phoning the club on Monday to see if I can talk to LM or RL or MW - we cannot keep having situations and events being so badly mis handled. To me this is the third fiasco in quick time-

1. Ted bates Statue Cluster F U C K - DISGRACE

2 Sophies Gift - SHAMEFUL

3. Poppy Appeal - Excuse give Beyond Belief

There are some things which we need to be seen buying into - and this is quite simply one of them - The whole point of rememberance is to take a little bit of time to remember the millions of people that have been caught up in these awful tragedies o that it might just stop it from happning again and we can't even, according to the club spend a couple of hours organising this. AND FOR THE HEAD OF RETAIL TO SAY HE IS NOT AWARE OF EBAY - amazing!

We miss opportunity after opportunity and it goes from bad to worse - and we have to keep suffering it - surely there must be some solution

I really don't think the club as set out to annoy you but if every club but ours is supporting the poppy appeal then yes it would be annoying. i think we need to cut the club some slack here and work with them instead of slinging mud here. i am on your side and 100% behind the poppy appeal as an ex-serviceman myself but think a calmer approach would be better served for achieving the above.

I really don't think the club as set out to annoy you but if every club but ours is supporting the poppy appeal then yes it would be annoying. i think we need to cut the club some slack here and work with them instead of slinging mud here. i am on your side and 100% behind the poppy appeal as an ex-serviceman myself but think a calmer approach would be better served for achieving the above.

I've had enough of cutting the club some slack and listening to the same old bull**** - Its not the fact that not all the clubs are supporting the appeal - (but on that note i think it is something that should be organised from on high at the Premier League(The FA) and Football league (FL) head quarters - we watch the golf between the Players and the Fans growing wider - we watch the growing apathy for the game and it is things like this that can show that the FA and the Football Professionals are still in touch) what really annoyed me and got me mad is the fact that we get such a lame arse excuse - such an insensitive line - oh we can't spare anyone to do it! Perhaps the club could have got a soldier or an ex service man form the town to do it -or do you think that the RBL might have been able to have sorted it out for them. The thing is the club just does n't listen to the fan base anymore hence why the stadium is half empty - they are getting pretty much everything wrong with the way they handle the media image of the club and it stinks. I don't buy the calmer approach - we given the idiot and lunatic at the helm enough slack - I buy my season ticket season in season out regardless of league position or whatever style of football we play (I'm actually still behind the current team as they are playing a good brand of football) but I am fed up of just seeing this slapdash can't be ****ed attitude to the above sorts of things. That is why i am so hopping mad. I've bought my poppy and put my money in the tin -I'll rest easy in my bed to night but i suspect that RL, MW, LM and the rest of gutless wonders and yes man will have a few lumps under thier respective matresses!!!

Edited by ooohTerryHurlock

I've had enough of cutting the club some slack and listening to the same old bull**** - Its not the fact that not all the clubs are supporting the appeal - (but on that note i think it is something that should be organised from on high at the Premier League(The FA) and Football league (FL) head quarters - we watch the golf between the Players and the Fans growing wider - we watch the growing apathy for the game and it is things like this that can show that the FA and the Football Professionals are still in touch) what really annoyed me and got me mad is the fact that we get such a lame arse excuse - such an insensitive line - oh we can't spare anyone to do it! Perhaps the club could have got a soldier or an ex service man form the town to do it -or do you think that the RBL might have been able to have sorted it out for them. The thing is the club just does n't listen to the fan base anymore hence why the stadium is half empty - they are getting pretty much everything wrong with the way they handle the media image of the club and it stinks. I don't buy the calmer approach - we given the idiot and lunatic at the helm enough slack - I buy my season ticket season in season out regardless of league position or whatever style of football we play (I'm actually still behind the current team as they are playing a good brand of football) but I am fed up of just seeing this slapdash can't be ****ed attitude to the above sorts of things. That is why i am so hopping mad. I've bought my poppy and put my money in the tin -I'll rest easy in my bed to night but i suspect that RL, MW, LM and the rest of gutless wonders and yes man will have a few lumps under thier respective matresses!!!

Once again you have a positive stance on this although possibly the club have had that many cost cutting measures placed upon them that that this line of thinking (putting it in the hands of either ebay or an ex-serviceman) has not occurred to them? If the club recognises today that things could be different then maybe next year things will be different?

Once again you have a positive stance on this although possibly the club have had that many cost cutting measures placed upon them that that this line of thinking (putting it in the hands of either ebay or an ex-serviceman) has not occurred to them? If the club recognises today that things could be different then maybe next year things will be different?

.... But so many things don't occur to them? It did n't occur to them that the Ted Bates statue was so very important, it did n't occur to them that last week was half term and the kids were off school and the game against cov should have had a promotion running to get a few more bums on seats - It did n't occur to them to ask if someone could spare the time to run the auction -They have a WED SITE, A STADIUM SYSTEM, A RADIO STATION, A BLOKE THAT ANNOUNCES THE TEAMS ON THE PITCH, ACCESS TO THE ECHO PINK, LOCAL TV. has anyone got the time to organise this on a voluntry basis - THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE - and is stuff that goes on in local cricke t clubs and scout troops week in week out but a professionally run football club can't do it - STILL ******** in my book. I would like to see MW buy all the strips from todays game - get them embroidered and then run the auction in the next week or too - they could even do it for cash at the Wolves game next week - those at the crowd can bid and the club can collect the monies in the shop afterwards - HOW DIFFICULT IS THAT! - But if this is not being seen by those at the club this is where our problems lie - we need people with drive, vision and enthusiasm to breath life into this club - so far we have only come up with shutting four corners of the ground! -

The staff at St Marys is reduced/changed so maybe they didn't have the time/awareness of the event, maybe a fan who really wanted the club to be involved could have offered assistance prior to the event or maybe someone from the BL could have helped, but there's nothing on their website about it, it doesn't seem to be an event supported by them.

There are very few clubs involved in it so its not as though SFC were the only to not get invloved. About three english clubs doing it, all the SPL clubs are doing it as was an SPL decision not individual clubs.

So maybe you are being a bit hard on the club.

The staff at St Marys is reduced/changed so maybe they didn't have the time/awareness of the event, maybe a fan who really wanted the club to be involved could have offered assistance prior to the event or maybe someone from the BL could have helped, but there's nothing on their website about it, it doesn't seem to be an event supported by them.

There are very few clubs involved in it so its not as though SFC were the only to not get invloved. About three english clubs doing it, all the SPL clubs are doing it as was an SPL decision not individual clubs.

So maybe you are being a bit hard on the club.

The fact the FA or Football league dont make this compulsary is a disgrace - They are quick enough with 'Anti Racism campaign' and the ' Homophobic Campaign' but something like the poppy day appeal gets overlooked. Why did n't the Club ask for some help? - Thats all it took -

Personally as I have already pointed out we had a bad enough image after the Sophies gift fiasco. So I do not feel I am being hard on the club as you put it. The bottom line is they diont give a f u c k - so thatgets my goat and makes them even more of a bunch of C U N T s than I thought they were already - I thought that was a hard thing to achieve but guess what they managed it - shame they were n't as good at running a business/football club as they are at f u c k in g it all up!

.... But so many things don't occur to them? It did n't occur to them that the Ted Bates statue was so very important, it did n't occur to them that last week was half term and the kids were off school and the game against cov should have had a promotion running to get a few more bums on seats - It did n't occur to them to ask if someone could spare the time to run the auction -They have a WED SITE, A STADIUM SYSTEM, A RADIO STATION, A BLOKE THAT ANNOUNCES THE TEAMS ON THE PITCH, ACCESS TO THE ECHO PINK, LOCAL TV. has anyone got the time to organise this on a voluntry basis - THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE - and is stuff that goes on in local cricke t clubs and scout troops week in week out but a professionally run football club can't do it - STILL ******** in my book. I would like to see MW buy all the strips from todays game - get them embroidered and then run the auction in the next week or too - they could even do it for cash at the Wolves game next week - those at the crowd can bid and the club can collect the monies in the shop afterwards - HOW DIFFICULT IS THAT! - But if this is not being seen by those at the club this is where our problems lie - we need people with drive, vision and enthusiasm to breath life into this club - so far we have only come up with shutting four corners of the ground! -

Talk about getting worked up over nothing........... We were one of, if not the first club to start doing the poppy shirt thing and have raised more for the charity than just about any other club in the land. But this year, as we are in the financial mire, the club cannot afford to make the gesture and so are in fact saying that charity begins at home and are looking after themselves first.

It might just be ok for you to start going on a crusade about this if we were the only club of the 92 in the leagues that aren't doing poppy shirts but the brutal fact is that we aren't!!!! Only a small minority of clubs did it this year.

In the Arsenal - Man Yoo game the Arse did but Man U didn't and while Blackburn had poppy shirts, Chelsea didn't so if you feel a need to continue your inane crusade then I suggest you start by contacting Chelsea and Man U, two clubs with far more financial resources than Saints.

Or is this really just another opportunity to lay into SFC?

The fact the FA or Football league dont make this compulsary is a disgrace - They are quick enough with 'Anti Racism campaign' and the ' Homophobic Campaign' but something like the poppy day appeal gets overlooked. Why did n't the Club ask for some help? - Thats all it took -

Personally as I have already pointed out we had a bad enough image after the Sophies gift fiasco. So I do not feel I am being hard on the club as you put it. The bottom line is they diont give a f u c k - so thatgets my goat and makes them even more of a bunch of C U N T s than I thought they were already - I thought that was a hard thing to achieve but guess what they managed it - shame they were n't as good at running a business/football club as they are at f u c k in g it all up!

So what was the minutes silence at every single sodding football ground in the country all about this weekend then? You've got a funny interpretation of being "overlooked" :rolleyes:

Poppy day and the legion get blanket coverage everywhere for a fortnight every year, year in, year out, in every newspaper, television station across the land.

Rightly so, but no other charity on earth gets the same amount of exposure. And there are plenty of charities that have just as much worth as the Legion and get nothing like the exposure they get.

And don't bother giving me a "they died for us..." lecture either, I know, and I don't need an overexcited dullard like you telling us like you're the only one who "cares".

Get over yourself you wally.

So what was the minutes silence at every single sodding football ground in the country all about this weekend then? You've got a funny interpretation of being "overlooked" :rolleyes:

Poppy day and the legion get blanket coverage everywhere for a fortnight every year, year in, year out, in every newspaper, television station across the land.

Rightly so, but no other charity on earth gets the same amount of exposure. And there are plenty of charities that have just as much worth as the Legion and get nothing like the exposure they get.

And don't bother giving me a "they died for us..." lecture either, I know, and I don't need an overexcited dullard like you telling us like you're the only one who "cares".

Get over yourself you wally.

Top ten then if you want to prove your point?....don't be afraid to mention the word 'cat'.

I emailed the club on Sunday offering cash for a shirt with the excess over the normal shirt sale price to go to the RBL but haven't heard back.

Assuming this Leighton Mitchell bloke is the one to contact would his email address be lmitchell@saintsfc.co.uk ? Copied in the sfc address and the saints marketing address too.

me also.sent to 7 different people.all ignored