April 12th 2011

Dr Who?

Just over 14 months ago I made the trip to Spotland to see Saints lose 2-0 to Rochale. A loss that saw us still in second place on goal difference on the run in to league 1 season. Also at this stage on here the support was divided, and I have to say many thought we would mess it all up.

On Monday of this week at 9am, the fixtures came out, and in the first game we come up against the premier league champions away at the City of Manchester Staduim or Etihad. A trip that I am already planning. Rochdale on the other hand have a home game 3 leagues lower against Northampton on the opening day.

Let me remind you again we were in the same league just over 14 months ago, and they were doing the double over us. This really got me thinking how amazing the journey has been as a Saints fan over the last couple of seasons.

It will be great to see thousands of Saints fans at City on the opening day of the season in the sunshine of Manchester. The last time I was there we won 1-3 in 2004, but lost the last time we played them in the league 2-1. The last time we played them was in the FA Cup at their place and we lost 3-1.

Overall we have the edge on them in the league played 68 W25 D21 L22.

What a journey we have been on.

Just over 14 months ago I made the trip to Spotland to see Saints lose 2-0 to Rochale. A loss that saw us still in second place on goal difference on the run in to league 1 season. Also at this stage on here the support was divided, and I have to say many thought we would mess it all up.

On Monday of this week at 9am, the fixtures came out, and in the first game we come up against the premier league champions away at the City of Manchester Staduim or Etihad. A trip that I am already planning. Rochdale on the other hand have a home game 3 leagues lower against Northampton on the opening day.

Let me remind you again we were in the same league just over 14 months ago, and they were doing the double over us. This really got me thinking how amazing the journey has been as a Saints fan over the last couple of seasons.

It will be great to see thousands of Saints fans at City on the opening day of the season in the sunshine of Manchester. The last time I was there we won 1-3 in 2004, but lost the last time we played them in the league 2-1. The last time we played them was in the FA Cup at their place and we lost 3-1.

Ha ha .... more chance of Saints winning than sunshine in Manchester in August FFS!!

Although this years achievement was obviously a bigger step foward, I still feel last years promotion was something very special. The run in was amazing. Huddersfield played their part keeping the pressure on us but the players stepped up and the team spirit pulled us through. I remember being so pi22ed off that night at Rochdale. I was probably guilty of thinking we had blown it too. But those next 6 games although not always easy to watch or listen too were business like and they got the job done. I'm still amazed at how far the club has come in those last 14 months and hopefully will be amazed by how even further it goes in the next 14 months :)

ahh yes, remember it well. Drove up there too, awful night, hard to think how far we have come

Our first ever game in the old Div 1 was against City at home and we drew 1-1, I was there.

my first ever game at the dell and indeed watching the saints, I remember it very well even after all these years!

ahh yes, remember it well. Drove up there too, awful night, hard to think how far we have come

I think the highlight of the trip was finding that 90s radio station on DAB. Good job too, it took us 7 hours to get there with the traffic on the M6. Nightmare.

Yes Rochdale was bad, as was Walsall

What about the games we made the journey and where then called off ie Rochdale (I never got all the way there, 30 or so miles along the M40 but know people who stayed up there) and then there Charlton Away on boxing day when they had a pitch inspection by the local idiot who did not have the refs permission to inspect the pitch and the a certain mr dickhead D'urso decided to move the heater and called off the match because the pitch was frozen where he moved the heater from.

A mini bus was hired for this as it was boxing day what a complete waste of time at the time I was spitting venom.

Everyone is saying about the last 3 years but since we for relegated from the premiership its not always been enjoyable but looking back now it was one hell of a journey.

From when we got relegated from the prem to missing out on promotion in the play off semi, to yet another relegation and the brink of extinction, to the saviour (for which we are all thankfull to Markus and his family) to the Johnstones play off win and now 2 promotions back to back to back where we want to be.

On the day we were relegated from the premiership my nipper was on the back page of the paper crying (he was 11 at the time) I had the picture on my phone and told him I would not remove it until we were back in the premiership well on the 18th of August 2012 we will be back there and it will be his 18th Birthday and it is going to be one hell of a day.

The journey really has been incredible.

The extreme dissappointment of relegation.

The season after we came down and I was still walking with a swagger as we were now a 'premiership team in the championship' and were going to annihilate every team we played against...

Then the 0-0 to Wolves to kick off the season, the 1-1 against Hull at home, the loss at QPR with Quashie missing a well earned penalty brought me back down to earth, and we only avoided a 2nd successive relegation by putting in a bit of hard work in the last 6/7 games of the season if I remember rightly. And a fantastic 2-0 win at relegated Brighton.

The highs and lows of the 06/07 play-off season I'll always remember, where it was basically go for broke bring in a sh1t load of players and hope we go up or we were in the sh!t

Then the just barely hanging in there seasons of 07/08, 08/09 and the extreme lows of relegation to League 1.

Then the truly fantastic years of 09/10, 10/11, 11/12 and voila! Back in the FUC_KING PREMIER LEAGUE!!

It's been a tough 7 years but it just makes our eventual promotion back to the Premier League all the sweeter, never dreamed in the Summer of 2009 when the Club was at rock bottom that in 3 years time we'd be preparing to kick off our Premier League campaign! Truly incredible.

Just to add: The losses to Rochdale and Walsall in 10/11 genuinely disturbed me at the time and Saints being Saints I thought the wheels were going to come off and we'd end up getting a play-off spot instead of the 2nd automatic promotion place. The same happened with the losses to Bristol City home and away, Leicester at home and Brighton away where I thought the wheels were going to come off too...but good ol' Nige kept the wheels on the bus turning

Edited by BlakeySFC

Seems such a long time ago now...just re-read what I'd written after the drive back down and it conjured up the atmosphere. Novelty to go to the ground, the North(!) and actually, was a sort of novelty to lose given the run we'd been on. The whole experience was a bit surreal, looking back - I also recall how sh*t the ref was. That's one aspect of the Prem I am looking forward to an improvement in!