Boris Johnson

trousers

I'd expect a half-decent politician to be able to build consensus, particularly in a post such as the Mayor of London.

Is that what we've got to look forward to with him as PM? Shouting and pointing. Yay.

For that to work it has to be two way. He can't build a consensus if no one is willing to agree to anything.

They know they have no-one that can compete with him in terms of popularity. So they will resort to anything to undermine him, like trying to stifle him from doing anything.

Hardly a new political trick, happens basically all the time in the States, which is why they never get anything done.

I bet that loony left mob , would have said no to Boris if he had decided to make sure minced beef for hamburgers was sourced only from british beef farms. The loony left will go against every thing he leads on no matter how beneficial it is to londonders..

I once hd the mispleasure to meet the rat called livingstone many moon ago when he was head of the GLC, a favoury unsavioury character if ever theire was one. he was anti British Army and I will not get embroiled where his loyalties lie in respect of the IRA

For that to work it has to be two way. He can't build a consensus if no one is willing to agree to anything.

They know they have no-one that can compete with him in terms of popularity. So they will resort to anything to undermine him, like trying to stifle him from doing anything.

Hardly a new political trick, happens basically all the time in the States, which is why they never get anything done.

Not the way it went down. It's even worse from a certain perspective. One of the Conservative members was missing, so the Labour councillors wanted to push the vote through sharpish so they could reject it and propose an alternative with their then 2/3rds majority.

The key point of difference is Boris' ideological council tax cut. Good old Boris, eh? Fighting for Londoners. The average household will save £3.64 a year under Boris' brilliant scheme. I'm sure that'll make up for the fire stations and cop shops they lose as part of that budget.

I don't blame them for chancing their arm and trying to get their alternative in.

Not the way it went down. It's even worse from a certain perspective. One of the Conservative members was missing, so the Labour councillors wanted to push the vote through sharpish so they could reject it and propose an alternative with their then 2/3rds majority.

The key point of difference is Boris' ideological council tax cut. Good old Boris, eh? Fighting for Londoners. The average household will save £3.64 a year under Boris' brilliant scheme. I'm sure that'll make up for the fire stations and cop shops they lose as part of that budget.

I don't blame them for chancing their arm and trying to get their alternative in.

With cuts being made everywhere, how exactly do you expect all these things to stay open?

It makes great political capital to harp on about keeping these things open, but it doesn't necessarily mean better services, which really is the important thing.

My local police station closed a while back, and crime rates are down and police efficiency has improved. I know the left cant understand that it's not simply a case of hire lots of people (manufacture jobs, whilst placing all the burden of this debt on the next generation, creating an 'economic miracle') and throw lots of (borrowed) money at the problem, or that protesting every single cut as the biggest disaster ever whilst simultaneously telling us they will tackle the countries debts, without cutting anything or telling us how they will do it. But in reality this just isn't true.

It's about running things well, not running things at maximum capacity. Regardless, the mayors hands on these sort of things are actually pretty tied up, leaving little room for anyone in this post an awful lot to do. Hence why they try and gain such great capital over things like congestion charging, types of busses and bike schemes.

Boric isn't ever going to be pm. Have you not noticed that the only people talking about it are those on the left? They know he won't ever get there, but are trying to attempt to talk him into a leadership race. It's akin to UKIP or BNP winning seats at EU or local elections, they will never get any real power.

So yeah, he is a useless buffoon, but he is entertaining, and whilst he yields little real power, I'm happy to be entertained by the mayor of the City I live in.

That is another point I cannot comprehend, why is it all these non London based lefties take such issue with him? His policies don't effect them? I've met so many more people outside London that seem to get so angry about him being mayor, than I ever do Londoners.

Can't honestly say I have ever felt the need to ***** about the mayor of another city.

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously though, anyone who thinks that Boris would make a decent PM should have a look at that video.

For anyone who really can't be arsed, it boils down to this. Boris is fine at giving criticism - p*ss-poor at taking it.

That in itself is not rare, but it really did amuse me to see Boris speak for me and decide what I'd like Mair to ask him. I think Mair was doing brilliantly, thanks very much.

Seriously though, anyone who thinks that Boris would make a decent PM should have a look at that video.

For anyone who really can't be arsed, it boils down to this. Boris is fine at giving criticism - p*ss-poor at taking it.

That in itself is not rare, but it really did amuse me to see Boris speak for me and decide what I'd like Mair to ask him. I think Mair was doing brilliantly, thanks very much.

Would still prefer him to Special Ed. Not that says much.

Seriously, when was the last time there was a credible politician that had aspirations of number 10? I seriously can't think of one...

Oh, so he brought up the Darius Guppy thing, that's very old news isn't it? I remember him being chewed out about that by Ian Hislop on HIGNFY in the late 90's.

I thought the whole tone of interview was odd. Almost like Mair was trying to do a hatchet job on him to order. More old rehashed old news to an agenda than Watergate expose.

I thought the whole tone of interview was odd. Almost like Mair was trying to do a hatchet job on him to order. More old rehashed old news to an agenda than Watergate expose.

I read about almost all those allegations years ago. Would still prefer him as PM over the current lot.

I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Boris has enemies everywhere.

Boris Johnson is very calculated. His whole public persona is constructed, and it is a brilliant one at that as it allows him to get away with stuff other politicians never could. But I really do think we should be wary of him and look at his record and his policies behind his admittedly likeable character.

Boris Johnson is very calculated. His whole public persona is constructed, and it is a brilliant one at that as it allows him to get away with stuff other politicians never could. But I really do think we should be wary of him and look at his record and his policies behind his admittedly likeable character.

I used to like Boris, but he's one of those characters that doesn't bear close scrutiny.

C'mon Boris supporters! What's the big ideological idea that separates Boris from Dave?

Why would he be better?

Another splendid speech at the Tory party conference just now.

Any man that can get "badger hair shaving brushes" into a political speech is a genius.

He actually toned down the buffoon 'act' today.

If this man isn't prime mininster sometime over the next 10 years I shall weep into my porridge.

I think he's a buffoon. Can't stand looking at him or hearing him speak.

Thought he came across very well in the documentary. The usual people scared of something different that may shake up the system are dismissing Boris. I hope he can do it even if he doesn't have that much chance IMO.

Dunno why you even bothered posting this, mate.

The fella was crucified by Mair to the extent that people are saying his PM chance may be gone.

You don't mention who the "usual people" are or indeed, what evidence we have that Boris is going to start a revolution.

Apart from buffoonery, what has Boris done well?

The usual regular dry politicians, those from his own party and others who will say that Boris is not your usual choice for pm as if that is a bad thing. As they said in the documentary Boris makes people feel good about themselves he gets people engaged in politics that otherwise wouldn't be. The patriotism and feelgood factor for being British he inspired during the Olympics was brilliant and he made a huge contribution to the success of the summer.

There is a reason that voter turnout is so low in the country and it's because of people like ed milliband and Cameron. I want to see people engaged in politics and Boris will offer that as well as fighting our corner properly in Europe which I totally agree with and I believe he will do what is right for Britain Imo. He is a very clever bloke and again in the documentary one of the people who knows him well said that he believed he would understand the importance of being prime minister and would make wise decisions.

One poor interview is not enough to derail any future campaign for pm and it will be easily explained away when needed.

Edited by hypochondriac

The fella was crucified by Mair to the extent that people are saying his PM chance may be gone.

Is that the video further up pap? I don't usually watch these sort of things but i watched it cos you keep banging on bout it. Which bits was bad? I felt like i was on his side mostly, the things he was being accused of seemed pretty silly and Boris was right bout i don't give a fvvck bout dumb things like that. Also i don't spose i'd be going round saying i want my bosses job either, i dunno why dumb interviewer was making such big deal out of that.

Is that the video further up pap? I don't usually watch these sort of things but i watched it cos you keep banging on bout it. Which bits was bad? I felt like i was on his side mostly, the things he was being accused of seemed pretty silly and Boris was right bout i don't give a fvvck bout dumb things like that. Also i don't spose i'd be going round saying i want my bosses job either, i dunno why dumb interviewer was making such big deal out of that.

I felt exactly the same. He was caught unawares so it wasn't the greatest interview ever but I really couldn't give a stuff about his private life. He is a charismatic and popular politician - the only one of his kind that we have in the country.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/03/itll-take-more-than-this-to-stop-boris/

I’ve just watched the Boris interview with Eddie Mair and I have to say, these dogs won’t hunt.Mair threw three accusations at Johnson and I think all three of them are dealable with.

The first was an allegation that Boris had made up a quote, something that he lost his job at The Times for. Now, I suspect that anything in which Boris can claim the defence that he had only moved something from ‘before Piers Gaveston’s death’ to after it isn’t going to end a political career. Also considering that Boris rose to journalistic prominence after this incident, it is hard to claim that it is disqualifying.

The second was about his affair with Petronella Wyatt. Again, I don’t think this is career ending stuff. In this day and age, politicians’ private lives are generally considered off limits unless they contain actual criminal acts.

Finally, comes the Darius Guppy incident — easily the most serious of the three. But as Boris struggled to point out, nothing actually came of this phone call. No journalist was beaten up because of it.

Some journalists reserve a special animus for those poachers who have turned gamekeeper. But I suspect that this morning’s discomfort will soon become part of the Boris shtick.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100208742/boris-johnsons-eddie-mair-interview-if-boriss-private-life-is-fair-game-then-so-is-everybody-elses/

I’ve just sent the Eddie Mair interview with Boris Johnson that everyone’s raving about. By common consent, it was tough broadcast interviewing at its best.Well, not for the first time, the common consensus is wrong. It was a disgrace.

Actually, it wasn’t a disgrace. It was perfectly legitimate journalism, so long as we all agree that grilling people about the details of their private lives, accusing them of guilt by association , and openly abusing them is legitimate.

The portion of the program that has got people on their feet relates to the moment Mair started asking Johnson about a documentary about him due to be broadcast tomorrow night.

Question one was about the occasion 25 years ago when Johnson was sacked as a trainee reporter for The Times for fabricating a quote from his own godfather, Colin Lucas. You could argue that’s a fair question if you’re planning to interview Boris Johnson for a job as your news editor. The relevance in 2013 to his duties as Mayor of London is less clear.

Question two was about the fact that when, he was Tory leader, Michael Howard asked Johnson if he was having an affair. Johnson reportedly denied it. Which was stupid. He should have told Howard it was none of his business. In the same way it’s none of Eddie Mair’s business, my business, your business or anyone else’s business, aside from the parties directly involved.

Question three related to a telephone conversation Johnson had in 1990 with his friend Darius Guppy, in which Guppy asked him to supply the address of a fellow journalist so he could assault him. The address was never supplied. The journalist wasn’t assaulted.

Question four wasn’t actually a question, but a statement. "You’re a nasty piece of work, aren’t you?" said Mair.

Question five didn’t even pretend to be a question, “Your friend Conrad Black, a convicted fraudster, even he says he doesn’t trust you completely.”

Eddie Mair and the BBC would no doubt argue their line of questioning was entirely reasonable. Indeed Mair claimed this was about Boris Johnson’s “integrity”.

And that’s fair enough. If the Mayor of London is lying to people about issues relating to his duties, that’s very serious. If he’s fabricating information that’s equally serious. If he’s running around his own capital city getting journalists beaten up, that’s even more serious. Especially for the producers of the Andrew Marr Show.

The problem was, none of the questions about his integrity related to Boris Johnson’s duties as mayor. They were reheated tittle-tattle, most of which dates back quarter of a century.

But so what? Boris Johnson is a grown-up doing a grown-up’s job. Eddie Mair is, actually, one of the BBCs best, and most tenacious, interviewers. If you can’t stand the heat, and all that.

It’s not the interview I object to. It’s the response to the interview. This, apparently, is now the gold standard. Judging by the wave of adulation sweeping Twitter, it’s exactly how we want our politicians, and other public figures, to be held to account.

Fine. But if Boris Johnson’s private life is in bounds, so is everyone else’s. If issues of personal integrity are of such importance, great. But let’s hear no more squealing when Ed Miliband is asked about knifing his brother. If something Johnson wrote in 1988 is of relevance, fair enough. But why the bleating about the scrutiny John O’Farrell received for something he wrote in 1998? If we want interviewers casually asking people if they’re “a nasty piece of work”, I’m up for that. But then please, no more about “dumbing down”, or the paucity of the level of our political discourse. And no cries of “bullying” when the first female politician gets subjected to a similarly robust interrogation.

Some people out there may be shocked by the revelation Boris Johnson isn’t the new George Washington, though I’m not one of them. And if Eddie Mair has just set the new gold standard for political interviews, I haven’t got a problem with that. But I suspect some of those cheering now soon will.

Here are my problems with the Boris love and specifically, that video.

First off, I find it amazing that "straight talking Boris" was unable to give answers to very simple questions, including the pertinent one, "do you want to be Prime Minister?". Puts a real fly in the ointment of "tell it like it is" Boris. The bloke cannot even admit to something that has been an open secret in Parliament for yonks.

I know you point out that you wouldn't go round saying "I want my boss' job". You're not trying to be Prime Minister though, mate! (Neither is Boris, from the interview).

Sorry Boris lovers, you can't have your cake and eat it.

What is he? Straight-talking politician or just as much as weasel as the rest of them, but slightly funnier?

We've got enough panel show guests, boys. They tend to live on panel shows, not in Number 10.

The usual regular dry politicians, those from his own party and others who will say that Boris is not your usual choice for pm as if that is a bad thing. As they said in the documentary Boris makes people feel good about themselves he gets people engaged in politics that otherwise wouldn't be. The patriotism and feelgood factor for being British he inspired during the Olympics was brilliant and he made a huge contribution to the success of the summer.

There is a reason that voter turnout is so low in the country and it's because of people like ed milliband and Cameron. I want to see people engaged in politics and Boris will offer that as well as fighting our corner properly in Europe which I totally agree with and I believe he will do what is right for Britain Imo. He is a very clever bloke and again in the documentary one of the people who knows him well said that he believed he would understand the importance of being prime minister and would make wise decisions.

One poor interview is not enough to derail any future campaign for pm and it will be easily explained away when needed.

To the specifics hypo, as this is really the only way we can derail this nonsense.

Are we talking the same Boris that called for an in/out European referendum before Christmas and then reversed his position a short time afterward? How's that fighting our corner, exactly? Sounds like he's fighting both corners. Whatever, it's indicative of a bloke that can't make his mind up and doesn't have any true political convictions.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2012/11/boris-johnson-rejects-inout-referendum-call/

I think the basic problem here is people making points about politics with no memory of anything that has gone before.

it's indicative of a bloke that doesn't have any true political convictions.

Which is precisely why he's so appealing to a significant percentage of the country. Your average man in the street doesn't like politicians that dogmatically cling to party politics

First off, I find it amazing that "straight talking Boris" was unable to give answers to very simple questions, including the pertinent one, "do you want to be Prime Minister?". Puts a real fly in the ointment of "tell it like it is" Boris. The bloke cannot even admit to something that has been an open secret in Parliament for yonks.

I know you point out that you wouldn't go round saying "I want my boss' job". You're not trying to be Prime Minister though, mate! (Neither is Boris, from the interview).

What is he? Straight-talking politician or just as much as weasel as the rest of them, but slightly funnier?

We've got enough panel show guests, boys. They tend to live on panel shows, not in Number 10.

The fact he won't admit about being pm is completely obvious. It is clear he doesn't want to get involved with that whilst Cameron is still the leader and in office. It would undermine his party and weaken their position at the next election

No politician in his position would admit to that. He will admit it when the time is right because shock horror he wants to win so will announce it when it is the best time to and not before. Being straight talking does not mean giving your opinion in everything so transparebtly at all times, if he were to do that then he would be committing political suicide but he is a darn sight better than every other politician I have had the misfortune to listen to. But then you know all this...

I've been at a relatively small conferecne where Johnson spoke, and indeed I asked him a question from the floor.

In short he is all style over function. A charming buffoon, with, on that occasion at least, absolutely no idea what he was talking about .... at all. The audience reaction was fascinating however, ranging from "what a pillock" to "what he said was silly, but isn't he lovely". Nearly everyone there thought he had talked complete drivel, but there was a significant section that was prepared to forgive him virtually anything, because, with a tolerant chuckle, "well, that's just the way Boris is, isn't it? "

I've been at a relatively small conferecne where Johnson spoke, and indeed I asked him a question from the floor.

In short he is all style over function. A charming buffoon, with, on that occasion at least, absolutely no idea what he was talking about .... at all. The audience reaction was fascinating however, ranging from "what a pillock" to "what he said was silly, but isn't he lovely". Nearly everyone there thought he had talked complete drivel, but there was a significant section that was prepared to forgive him virtually anything, because, with a tolerant chuckle, "well, that's just the way Boris is, isn't it? "

If that were true then he would not have been reelected as mayor.

Lastnight's documentary showed him up for what I have long suspected about him: a devious, conniving s***bag who will say and do anything to perpetuate his cheeky-chappy, lovable buffoon image, while being anything but. Millions of people seem to have been taken in by his apparent charm, but not me.

If he ever gets to be PM, I'm emigrating.

Lastnight's documentary showed him up for what I have long suspected about him: a devious, conniving s***bag who will say and do anything to perpetuate his cheeky-chappy, lovable buffoon image, while being anything but. Millions of people seem to have been taken in by his apparent charm, but not me.

It's been there to see for a while. Anyone who wants to see Boris in a leadership capacity can go trawl historical videos of him in his capacity as London Mayor. He is a tremendously poor judge of character.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004024/Boris-Johnson-aide-Tom-Campbell-resigns-shoplifting-boasts.html

A good piece on why so many people love Boris. Got bugger all to do with politics, and everything to do with the cult of celebrity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/05/sonia-purnell-boris-johnson-not-prime-minister-material

How does David Milliband answer the "Would you like to be Prime Minister?" question these days?

Different situation, isn't it?

I can appreciate your early Boris love, trousers. I liked him too, but have changed my opinion as the evidence rolls in.

There are definitely two different sides to Boris, the lovable buffoon he likes you to see and the one that flies off the handle in fits of rage. Neither attribute is a good fit for a Prime Minister.

As for David Miliband, I don't see anyone here holding him up as an example of a "tell it like it is" politician. I'm therefore not sure that the double standard applies.

Boris shat on everything he is praised for during that interview.

Lol no it didn't. It was actually very complementary in many areas.

The point is it is a secret. If someone asked you, in earshot of your boss and all your work colleagues if you wanted his job, what would you say? Would you say yes and undermine your boss? Or would you refuse to confirm it?

We can all see your bias against Boris coming out here unfortunately, however much you try to write as impartial. Just because he won't answer questions about his private life in public it means he isn't straight talking? I don't really know what you expect and who you're comparing him to, but you're talking about a politician that doesn't and has never existed.

And that bottom sentence is absolute bunkum as you well know. Lots of high ranking politicians have been on panel shows (HIGNFY).

If that were true then he would not have been reelected as mayor.

As I said .... significant section that was prepared to forgive him virtually anything, because, with a tolerant chuckle, "well, that's just the way Boris is, isn't it?

Look at Italy and Berlusconi. Buffoons do get elected,and re-elected.