Boris Johnson

trousers

Hmmmm - Max Hastings is an arch Tory so that's a very interesting article by him.

And there was me thinking that non-Tory's treated all Max Hastings articles as garbage. #onlywhenitsuits

I agree with his description of Labour though...

;)

Edited by trousers

Why does him being a cheat mean that he's not fit to run the country? I seem to remember that Churchill was a drug addict, didn't matter to him. And also:

"When one of his many sexual affairs was exposed and much trumpeted in the headlines, he telephoned a friend of mine who was then running one of Britain's largest media organisations. "It's utterly disgraceful what your reporters are doing on-screen about my private life," spluttered Boris. "It's time you realised that I know all about your private life. If your organisation goes on reporting my affairs like this, you'll be reading all about yours in the Spectator [the magazine he then edited]."

My friend responded: "Stop a minute, Boris, and think about what you just said. There is a word for it, and it is not a pretty one – 'blackmail'." Johnson waffled away, muttering that he had never really meant it. But he is much given to making threats, bearing grudges and behaving with malice aforethought."

Sorry, editor of paper looks to expose editor of magazine. Editor of magazine tries to limit harm to image by threatening an exposee of editor of paper. So what? If one of my mates told my missus I had cheated on her, I would return the compliment. What's wrong with that?

Edited by Dibden Purlieu Saint

Ah, and here is why the article was written:

Despite a bark designed to carry across grouse moors and a professional ruthlessness that earned him the sobriquet “Hitler Hastings”, friends describe an insecure man obsessed with money. “He’s got a perpetual anxiety about money,” said one. “I remember him being furious about Boris (Johnson) not paying a debt to him. I think it’s because his father died in poverty and his family were writers but none made a bean. Max has always been impressed by rich people, and some of those bad values infected his attitude.”

http://www.maxhastings.com/battle-honours-for-the-word-warrior/

The problem is that too many don't want change. They have a fixed idea of what a Prime Minister should be. As proven by his handling of the Olympics, Boris is a different kind of leader to those traditional tired individuals. I want someone patriotic, who will stand up for Britain and who does things differently. All three leaders from the main parties are completely the same type of boring predictable politician that I would rather not listen to. Boris might make a poor leader and he might make a good one. What I do know though is that he inspires people and instils the British public with a pride in being British again. I am also certain he will stand up for British rights in Europe which is another big plus for me.

The usual people are once again scared of change saying things like "he isn't prime ministerial enough." Well maybe 21st century Britain doesn't need someone who is traditionally Prime Ministerial anymore, it hasn't exactly worked out well for the last couple of decades. I say we should try for something different and see how we go. I'm proud to be British and I want my leadership to reflect me. Boris more than any other politician other than maybe Farage (who is a little extreme and one issue for my tastes) reflects my views. Love the bloke.

Edited by hypochondriac

And there was me thinking that non-Tory's treated all Max Hastings articles as garbage. #onlywhenitsuits

I agree with his description of Labour though...

;)

Which was oringinally in the Daily Mail, or Hail or Fail or whatever the lefties call it. Normally a Daily mail article receives abuse on here, obviously packaging it up and repeating it in the Guardian makes it "interesting".

so typical. Now people want a party leader for his looks and charisma and his wackability on HIGNFY. No talk about whether he's actually a good politician or not.

Roll out Maggie instead. That would simply delight the right ring tories.

The Country's got by without a good politician at the helm for the last 20 years, so that's not really a consideration any more.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218414/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-tips-London-Mayor-Boris-Johnson-return-Commons-Prime-Minister.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-mailonline

Terminator star Arnold Schwarzenegger has backed Boris Johnson to become Prime Minister, bringing some Hollywood glamour to the London Mayor’s hopes of one day getting the keys to Number 10.

The former California governor hailed Mr Johnson as a ‘visionary’ with all the qualities needed to be a great leader.

article-0-0B6C618900000578-2_634x838.jpg

That's a bit like crediting Icarus with building the first aeroplane.... ;)

Just annoys me when the uninformed use that as a headline for reason he should be Prime Minister. And he tries to take credit for it too! Almost as bad as the "He's a legend for the tackle in the Germany game, Boris for PM" crew.

It makes you wonder how far John Major would have gone as PM with a bit of charisma. Or at least if he hadn't wasted all of his 'charms' on Currie.

Just annoys me when the uninformed use that as a headline for reason he should be Prime Minister. And he tries to take credit for it too! Almost as bad as the "He's a legend for the tackle in the Germany game, Boris for PM" crew.

It makes you wonder how far John Major would have gone as PM with a bit of charisma. Or at least if he hadn't wasted all of his 'charms' on Currie.

She must have been a right go-er though. He went grey during that period.

The Country's got by without a good politician at the helm for the last 20 years, so that's not really a consideration any more.

Exactly, there has been a huge move to image means more than policies. I remember Michael Foot being a good debater but would drive Turkish to an early grave with what he looked liked and they way he did things.

• 1 month later...
Boris calls for EU referendum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/04/boris-johnson-uk-renegotiate-eu

Wasn't he saying we'd be mad to leave the EU last week? Guess that didn't go down too well.

hes playing to the gallery of fools ..its never going to happen with any of the major partys. they will not this country lose its clout in the world by becoming a minor player which would not matter to the major tradeing blocks ,plus if would still have to bide by eu rules and have no seat at the table if we left.

Well done Boris. Nailed it once again.

So what do you reckon on chain of events then, hypo?

Has Boris always been anti-EU and said we'd be mad to leave last week because of pressure from the Conservative Party leadership?

Boris calls for EU referendum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/04/boris-johnson-uk-renegotiate-eu

Wasn't he saying we'd be mad to leave the EU last week? Guess that didn't go down too well.

How is calling for a referendum on renegotiating our relationship withEurope at odds with saying we!d be mad to leave the EU (altogether)?

So what do you reckon on chain of events then, hypo?

Has Boris always been anti-EU and said we'd be mad to leave last week because of pressure from the Conservative Party leadership?

well he has to get the bonehead party members to support him to win a future leadership contest before he betrays them for the national interest,,rather those dreamers who think its so simple just to leave .

well he has to get the bonehead party members to support him to win a future leadership contest before he betrays them for the national interest,,rather those dreamers who think its so simple just to leave .

We shouldn't just leave. We should renegotiate our membership. We have had one vote and one vote only and that was to join the common market.

We shouldn't just leave. We should renegotiate our membership. We have had one vote and one vote only and that was to join the common market.
maybe but i,ve heard that same quote used by harold wilson in the 1970s and followed by other party leaders so i believe they just play to the gallery.

maybe but i,ve heard that same quote used by harold wilson in the 1970s and followed by other party leaders so i believe they just play to the gallery.

Quite possibly. Still that's what should happen anyway. Many many people are appaled at what that simple vote has led to. Successive governments have just seen it as a green light to do whatever they like regarding the EU.

• 2 months later...

http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2013-02-25/boris-ejected-from-meeting/

The Assembly threw away its chance to give Boris Johnson a two hour grilling on his budget decisions this morning. The mayor was ejected from the chamber after a vote to send him out.

Boris called the gathered Assembly members 'great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies' before he left.

:lol:

[video=youtube_share;LI5oRTL-6rA]

Edited by trousers

No wonder the country is in a mess with people like that making such decisions.

It was your chance to question and discuss hius budget decisions

What injits. Sounds like the loony left have gone too far

Bit Like ed balls on about the coalitions lossing triple AAA rating. It was his bloody government that got this country into the mess in the first place. Or had you forgotted Ed it was your lot thaat ballsed up the economy

No wonder the country is in a mess with people like that making such decisions.

It was your chance to question and discuss hius budget decisions

What injits. Sounds like the loony left have gone too far

Bit Like ed balls on about the coalitions lossing triple AAA rating. It was his bloody government that got this country into the mess in the first place. Or had you forgotted Ed it was your lot thaat ballsed up the economy

When Labour were in power it was a worldwide problem but now they're in opposition it's entirely Osborne's fault.

Keep up... ;)

When Labour were in power it was a worldwide problem but now they're in opposition it's entirely Osborne's fault.

Keep up... ;)

Just like when they were borrowing shed loads, selling all the gold at cheap prices, spending silly amounts manufacturing pointless unsustainable and unnecassary jobs in the NHS, it was an economic miralce - all of Gordon's doing.

Sh!t hits the fan, it was all America's fault.

Keep up... ;)

Just like when they were borrowing shed loads, selling all the gold at cheap prices, spending silly amounts manufacturing pointless unsustainable and unnecassary jobs in the NHS, it was an economic miralce - all of Gordon's doing.

Sh!t hits the fan, it was all America's fault.

C'mon BTF where are you?

Mate sent me this on FB earlier.

Amazing, probably one of the most amazing cuss' ever. How on earth would you ever begin to comeback to that.

That is more worrying than amazing. People actually want this guy? He looks a complete prawn when he's hanging around (after he's been dismissed) pointing fingers at people.

What's alternative?

Ken Livingstone? Christ, no thanks! I live in London, gimme Bozza anyday.

The alternative is getting off our collective arses and demanding better alternatives.

No one can be arsed, so instead we hail a performance that shows Boris has no leadership qualities as amazing :)

I shared a table in a cafe yesterday with Ken Livingstone - honestly! A charming man and a delight to chat with.

That he may well be, but I certainly don't want him back as Mayor.

The alternative is getting off our collective arses and demanding better alternatives.

No one can be arsed, so instead we hail a performance that shows Boris has no leadership qualities as amazing :)

That you throwing your hat in the ring for London Mayor 2016 Papster? ;)

Hang on, unless I'm missing something the Mayor was wanting the assembly to scrutinise his budget, to ask questions on behalf of Londoners and they voted against it. If he's showing a lack of leadership, what does that say about the people unwilling to question him?

Hang on, unless I'm missing something the Mayor was wanting the assembly to scrutinise his budget, to ask questions on behalf of Londoners and they voted against it. If he's showing a lack of leadership, what does that say about the people unwilling to question him?

Is that what you saw?

Blimey, I thought I was watching a man shout at a room full of people who had zero respect for him. His podgy-boy pointing act gave a clue as to why he might not be respected.

Is that what you saw?

Blimey, I thought I was watching a man shout at a room full of people who had zero respect for him. His podgy-boy pointing act gave a clue as to why he might not be respected.

The thing is, he will never be respected by a Labour majority, who would vote against him on absolutely anything.

This out of 'principal' (partisan blocking tactics) rather than actually trying to get things done.

I hate the Labour party, how they have the cheek to label others the nasty party beggars belief.

The thing is, he will never be respected by a Labour majority, who would vote against him on absolutely anything.

This out of 'principal' (partisan blocking tactics) rather than actually trying to get things done.

I hate the Labour party, how they have the cheek to label others the nasty party beggars belief.

I'd expect a half-decent politician to be able to build consensus, particularly in a post such as the Mayor of London.

Is that what we've got to look forward to with him as PM? Shouting and pointing. Yay.