Just Back from the Game

Tamesaint

Brilliant. Makes supporting Saints all worthwhile.

Player ratings :

Davis - 10.

James - 10

Cork - 10

Perry - 10

Scacel -9 (it would be silly to give them all 10)

Surman - 10

Schneiderlin - 10

Mcgoldrick - 10

Lallana - 10

Robertson - 10

BWP - 10

Sub- Patterson - 9 Not on long enough to earn 10

What a top, top day out.

Everyone deserved a 10 in my books :) I didn't really notice much of who was playing well or who was even playing.

Support was magnificent. Didn't sit down or stop singing for the full 90 minutes. I can barely speak at all now.

Oh I do love this football club, very, very much.

What a top, top day out.

Everyone deserved a 10 in my books :) I didn't really notice much of who was playing well or who was even playing.

Support was magnificent. Didn't sit down or stop singing for the full 90 minutes. I can barely speak at all now.

Oh I do love this football club, very, very much.

Today!

Was Skacel that bad.

He was magnificent. The others were exceptional.

For a time in the second half Reading's main tactic was to pump long balls behind Scacel. It worked for a time but Perry covered him well and in the end they tried different tactics.

Player ratings :

Davis - 10.

James - 10

Cork - 10

Perry - 10

Scacel -9 (it would be silly to give them all 10)

Surman - 10

Schneiderlin - 10

Mcgoldrick - 10

Lallana - 10

Robertson - 10

BWP - 10

Sub- Patterson - 9 Not on long enough to earn 10

why did skacel get a 9 i thought he was absoloutly quality put in some good crosses and stop a definate goal tbh and made some good tackles

As several people have pointed out, the Skacel and Perry combination was key today. Most of Reading's attacks, expecially second half, were long balls aimed down our left flank. Skacel delt with most of them very well, and when he was beaten, Perry was there to cover him. Skacel also covered Perry when the long balls were hit a bit more central.

Couple of good crosses from Rudi too. One that lead to the goal, which was half cleared before Cork put it back in for BWP. Another right accross the goal, which BWP headed for the bottom corner, only to be kept out by a brilliant save.

why did skacel get a 9 i thought he was absoloutly quality put in some good crosses and stop a definate goal tbh and made some good tackles

He did play well. Once or twice I thought he played our defence into trouble ... but if you twist my arm I could give him 9.5. I feel good tonight.

Quality day, great support. Got a text on the way home:

Saints fans are born not manufactured

We do not choose, we are chosen

Those that don't understand don't matter

Those that do, need no explanation

We are the Saints

Lovely sentiments and heartwarming words.

I know it's not the most appropriate "tune" but it could work as a chant to the (example name only!) Georgie Burley's red n white army!

Not remotely original of me at all but:

Saints fans are born........NOT manufactured

We do not choose...........we are chosen

Don't understand?...........it don't matter

Here we are...................no explanation

Actually that is ****** in retrospect. I'll get my coat..............:-(

A magnificent performance, and one that we were definitely due. Was impressed by the effort and determination from every one of the players. I cannot remember a more professional display by a Saints team. Defensively, outstanding performances from Cork and my MOTM Chris Perry, Skacel and James both very solid. In the middle of the park i thought that Schneiderlen showed exactly why Arsenal are tracking him. His close control and spreading of the play was magnificent. McGoldrick fought for everything as did Surman and Lallana. BWP took both his goal expertly and Robertson held the ball up brilliantly, even substitute Paterson looked superb with some great tackling and running. All in all a fantastic day out for the travelling, very vocal Sains support.

Credit where credit is due JP gets a 10/10 from me today. Tactically he got it absolutely spot on with the squad he chose and formation of the team. It allowed players to play in their proper positions and show us what they really can do.

Loved it! COYR

Brilliant,perhaps you can try and remember that the next time you are on here whinging about the club and the decisions thay have been forced to make this season as a result of a badly mismanaged coup that turned to be nothing but an incompetent gamble.

Lets hear some support for JP and the lads and all those who are supporting them. We have been unlucky against many of the top sides already this season and as I have been saying if we accept survival both footballing and financial as our target this season then we are going to be a damn site more successful than last season and wont be relying on other teams f***ing up.

I hope those fans of little faith or those with their puerile agendas against the board start turning up for home games and give this club the support they need and deserve. BTW, the negativity that seeps like a cancer from this forum is clearly affecting the players and they can't be enjoying playing in front of their own fans, hence our far better away record.

Brilliant,perhaps you can try and remember that the next time you are on here whinging about the club and the decisions thay have been forced to make this season as a result of a badly mismanaged coup that turned to be nothing but an incompetent gamble.

Lets hear some support for JP and the lads and all those who are supporting them. We have been unlucky against many of the top sides already this season and as I have been saying if we accept survival both footballing and financial as our target this season then we are going to be a damn site more successful than last season and wont be relying on other teams f***ing up.

I hope those fans of little faith or those with their puerile agendas against the board start turning up for home games and give this club the support they need and deserve. BTW, the negativity that seeps like a cancer from this forum is clearly affecting the players and they can't be enjoying playing in front of their own fans, hence our far better away record.

What a patronising post!!! PMSL !!!

"Anyone know what Justin Fashanu is doing these days?" :-) :-)

I can't believe someone had to spoil the day by bringing club politics into a day that should be all about the football.

Can't see many 'Lowe Out' comments, so can't you just give it a rest...just for one day!

Plus those 'fans' who were at the Wolves game were brilliant. 'they can't be enjoying playing in front of their own fans, hence our far better away record.' The reason we have a better away record is that Poortvliet plays one up front at home and most teams in this division play negative football away - not the easiest way to attain points. We have a better away record because home teams play for the win, are more open, which suits our style of play. If anyone slags off the home support again, I'll be really irritated as they obviously haven't been attending matches.

Edited by the boy from saints

What a patronising post!!! PMSL !!!

"Anyone know what Justin Fashanu is doing these days?" :-) :-)

Sorry disagree a very realistic post.

Just support the team at the end of the season you maybe as surprised as you were at 5 2 5 yesterday

Just support the team at the end of the season you maybe as surprised as you were at 5 2 5 yesterday

I need no lectures from anyone on supporting the Saints thank you very much. There was never a truer song than "Southampton till I die".

That does not mean that supporting the team means that I have to give unquestioning obedience to everything that happens off the field. As a supporter of the club I can & will criticise what is going on off the field ... and still support the team.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to say to the luvvies that they were right and I was wrong when we re enter the Premiership under JP and Rupert.

Very impressive performance, made better by free booze and being in with the Reading fans. I had a sneaky feeling that we could pinch a draw, as I thought Reading's style of play would suit us, but those around me were convinced they would stuff us.

The Reading fans kept saying they didn't play well, but I think that would conveniently ignore that we put in a fantastic performance and didn't let them play.

Looking at the team, it was though Jan had finally got the message. Hope he learns from it.

Three out of the back five were very experienced and then you had Cork who has played a season in this division. You can then carry a youngster and James did well in this line up.

Being honest, I still don't rate BWP but he got two fine goals, so as it stands, he's on my Xmas card list. Even though he is not my favourite, he should certainly start ahead of Gobern, and with Surman, we had 50% of the midfield with some experience. Scheiderlin looked composed and Lallana was perhaps better suited to wide(ish) right as opposed to playing in the hole.

I'm still not convinced of the personnel up front, but the shape looked better with DMG not leading the line. Instead, Robertson led the line well, and it enabled DMG to play off of him. I wouldn't say DMG played in the hole in the same way that Lallana did (i.e. with total freedom and roaming around), but instead played it in a Zola/Bergkamp way. It certainly looked more like two up front, than what we have seen recently when DMG has been isolated.

Overall, we definitely deserved the win and at times played with real style and confidence.

If he is going to tinker, then I would bring in Pearce, push Cork out to right back.

Longer term, I would like to see a tough midfielder next to Schneiderlin, allowing Surman to play on the left, and then someone up front who can score on a regular basis (and would accept DMG playing off of him).

I would still play Mcmac off someone like Stern John....I know the money angle..But Mac would be better for it and we would have scored more goals and won more games...Like at the back with Perry, Stern John would have had that experience the team lacks....Not sure that JP had that option...but you never know it may come together in that direction when John or the like is put up front to lead.

sorry to shout but

CHRIS PERRY MUST START. ALWAYS.

Breathtaking stuff all round. Without question the best Saints performance I've ever seen (have lived abroad mostly; have only seen 20-25 games).

Utterly stunning stuff in the first half. But equally impressive was a flawless performance by the defence at 2-1.

Even BWP was half decent....

yeah, poor marking at back post

I wouldn't have said that. The goal came from a shot from Doyle from the opposite side, which Davis could only parry as far as Kebe.

If you wanted to find fault, Cork and James could have marked Doyle better, Davis could have pushed the shot further away from the goal and Skacel could have been closer to Kebe. You can't really blame anyone as such.

I can't believe someone had to spoil the day by bringing club politics into a day that should be all about the football.

Can't see many 'Lowe Out' comments, so can't you just give it a rest...just for one day!

Plus those 'fans' who were at the Wolves game were brilliant. 'they can't be enjoying playing in front of their own fans, hence our far better away record.' The reason we have a better away record is that Poortvliet plays one up front at home and most teams in this division play negative football away - not the easiest way to attain points. We have a better away record because home teams play for the win, are more open, which suits our style of play. If anyone slags off the home support again, I'll be really irritated as they obviously haven't been attending matches.

those sad cases will be out in force has soon has we lose again,its been a bad weekend for them we won .

I wouldn't have said that. The goal came from a shot from Doyle from the opposite side, which Davis could only parry as far as Kebe.

If you wanted to find fault, Cork and James could have marked Doyle better, Davis could have pushed the shot further away from the goal and Skacel could have been closer to Kebe. You can't really blame anyone as such.

actually the goal was once again down to James following the wide man far too deep them making a wreckless tackle (which he was yellow carded for) that he didn't win putting him out of position and stretching us massively which we never recovered from.

James had a ery poor second half IMO.

As for Skacel, I know I canlt stand him but was it only me that saw him give up in the second half allowing their wide man to run into the box totally untracked? Other than that he had a decent game. Perry and Cork were the key to our success though not Skacel.

Well there's a startling surprise!

In all fairness SB has recently started to post in a more sensible manner with some good points of valid debate however the fact he can't help digging (perm any combination of Crouch, McMenemy or Pearson) makes his posts tiresome. Many 'anti' Lowe fans are just that due to the divisive element he brings to the club and having his supporters come on here even after a great win and attempt some petty point scoring against other fans hardly seems to help....

Well there's a startling surprise!

In all fairness SB has recently started to post in a more sensible manner with some good points of valid debate however the fact he can't help digging (perm any combination of Crouch, McMenemy or Pearson) makes his posts tiresome. Many 'anti' Lowe fans are just that due to the divisive element he brings to the club and having his supporters come on here even after a great win and attempt some petty point scoring against other fans hardly seems to help....

And Mr Greenridge, Sir, what happens when we lose? The anti-lowe's go on their usual unfounded rabid attack against the team, manager and the board whilst the more realistic fan can see that our performances against the likes of Birmingham, Cardiff, Sheff Utd, Wolves and now Reading show that we have a decent chance of being safe well before we play the 46th game of the season.

I'm sorry but I can't apologise if a plan practically forced on the club by a badly managed missed opportunity (in every way) of the previous two seasons is being corrected by a fiscal policy that was ridiculed by those who wanted to gamble. You can't have a go against Lowe and the board when we lose and not expect some gentle ribbing back when we win. Until their is a suitable alternative on the table the message is simple get behind the team 100% as any other action is mindless, futile and more importantly damaging to the club.

What is ironic though is that the team perform well away from home in front of many of our fans who have pledged to avoid home games because they are Lowe's strongest critics and have vowed not to return. They are therefore the most critical of the reliance on youth and the dutch set up and glorify in victory and yet cast their dark shadow of abuse to home games where the atmosphere has been immense but the nerves of our lads very evident. Time things changed. Its nothing to do with the way we play, please let's not kid ourselves about that fact it's purely psychological and there are some vociferous and notorious bad eggs out there masquerading as fans who are doing the most damage.