JP wasn't an unknown....

Saint Charlie

At least not to Steve Coppell

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1461766,00.html

Found this on the Reading website, previewing the game.

Quite interesting that they knew each other and JP had done some coaching sessions for Reading's academy.

Particularly interesting his comments saying "When he was appointed at Southampton everybody in football knew what he was about."

Personally I think JP has/is doing a great job with whats available and has certainly stamped his mark on the team. Nice to hear praise from other good football people and have to say I want JP to do well as he does seem a very nice, approachable guy and he tries to play football how it should be played.

Just seen Coppell on Sky and he said that after their first minute chance we completely bossed the game and were by far the better team.

Nice to hear a manger praising us after we've beaten his team, usually it's after we've lost that they say nice things.

Also a nice change to hear a manager being magnaimous in defeat, take note Wenger, Benitez etc.

Quite interesting that they knew each other and JP had done some coaching sessions for Reading's academy.

Particularly interesting his comments saying "When he was appointed at Southampton everybody in football knew what he was about."

Personally I think JP has/is doing a great job with whats available and has certainly stamped his mark on the team. Nice to hear praise from other good football people and have to say I want JP to do well as he does seem a very nice, approachable guy and he tries to play football how it should be played.

A friend of mine is a friend of Steve's and this week he told her that he was worried about the Saints game because he regarded us as dark horses very capable of producing a result. That link is interesting because it is the first time I have heard anyone admit to knowing about JP's qualities.

The problem is we actually started playing attractive, passing football too soon, raising the fans expectations. I think if most people look back to the summer the biggest hope was that we would stay up, personally i think we'll just stay up but have more of the flashes of brilliant football as the lads gain experience (depending on who and how many are sold in January!).

If JP can prove me wrong then I will take back what I've said about him being a clown. My main worry is who we will sell or loan out in the next transfer window.

Such decisions will not be of JP's making,so its unfair to judge him on such matters.

i agree and think given time will do a good job.

Just seen Coppell on Sky and he said that after their first minute chance we completely bossed the game and were by far the better team.

Nice to hear a manger praising us after we've beaten his team, usually it's after we've lost that they say nice things.

Also a nice change to hear a manager being magnaimous in defeat, take note Wenger, Benitez etc.

Add ferguson to that list, worst culprit imo

Badger,

There's no way I'm going to judge JP on what happens at the next transfer window because I know that the majority of the decisions on who goes will not be his decision.

The reason I mention it is because it is my belief that the players are good enough and don't want to see the likes of Lallana, Surman or Davis go(to mention 3 names). Of course, that would be the decision of Lowe/Wilde/Barclays - basically, whoever you want to blame!

On a totally separate note, I'm really surprised that there's been no mention on the forum of a true legend: Terry Paine. Even though its before my time, the fact that his biography has been published should surely be deserving of a mention on this forum.

A friend of mine is a friend of Steve's and this week he told her that he was worried about the Saints game because he regarded us as dark horses very capable of producing a result. That link is interesting because it is the first time I have heard anyone admit to knowing about JP's qualities.

If I was being *****y I'd say that was probably because you spend too much time with politician types and not experienced football people...:smt048

I was lucky enough to attend a real fun dinner with the local satellite provider's ex Sky crew back in February and we talked in depth about Southampton, and NP being appointed. The football types felt it was "a left field appointment" as we all did on here at the time. They discussed the options we could have chosen, but also the type of qualities that make a "newbie" successful. One critical element is that drive, energy and ability to earn respect - as Pearson did eventually to win us over, but the other was the legth of time spent actually coaching and the strength of character to have a core strategy and stck with it until it worked.

It is still way too early for me to pass a judgement as I still think we made one gamble too many in the summer, but JP may make it. The kids were used to only playing 30 games a year, and he still chops and changes too much.

But this is Southampton, every ray of hope will have a dark cloud or a silly mistake in the next game!

Badger,

There's no way I'm going to judge JP on what happens at the next transfer window because I know that the majority of the decisions on who goes will not be his decision.

The reason I mention it is because it is my belief that the players are good enough and don't want to see the likes of Lallana, Surman or Davis go(to mention 3 names). Of course, that would be the decision of Lowe/Wilde/Barclays - basically, whoever you want to blame!

On a totally separate note, I'm really surprised that there's been no mention on the forum of a true legend: Terry Paine. Even though its before my time, the fact that his biography has been published should surely be deserving of a mention on this forum.

Terry Paine was the best Saints Player I ever saw

But he could only pass accurately score goals with head both feet tackle play on the wing or centre mid field.

He scored the goal to take us up to Div 1

Edited by John B

If I was being *****y I'd say that was probably because you spend too much time with politician types and not experienced football people...:smt048

I was lucky enough to attend a real fun dinner with the local satellite provider's ex Sky crew back in February and we talked in depth about Southampton, and NP being appointed. The football types felt it was "a left field appointment" as we all did on here at the time. They discussed the options we could have chosen, but also the type of qualities that make a "newbie" successful. One critical element is that drive, energy and ability to earn respect - as Pearson did eventually to win us over, but the other was the legth of time spent actually coaching and the strength of character to have a core strategy and stck with it until it worked.

It is still way too early for me to pass a judgement as I still think we made one gamble too many in the summer, but JP may make it. The kids were used to only playing 30 games a year, and he still chops and changes too much.

But this is Southampton, every ray of hope will have a dark cloud or a silly mistake in the next game!

I would be interested in your definition of experienced football people Phil.

I have seen well over 1000 Saints games and watched them on approx 65 away grounds, once going 7 years without missing a home game. I feel vaguely qualified then to talk just a little about the "game". However I also work in politics to a degree and have strong views on the way the club is run. I can make no apology for that.

JP is an enigma. I recognise at times I have seen some good exciting football this season (far better than one-time favourite Burley used to oversee) but, and it is a big but, JP does not control football policy and whilst that is the case this experiment is ultimately doomed no matter how good he is. It is inevitable that Lowe will sell whoever he can in January even though only Davis, Schneiderlin, Lallana and Surman would command a noteworthy fee (at present). That to me means we are back to square one again while we try and find replacements (the youth conveyor belt will not churn out indefinitely).

So unless Lowe pumps some cash into this club we will only go in one direction. I accept shareholders, of course are under no obligation but Crouch has said he will. Even though Crouch is not the best thing since sliced bread his offer could make all the difference - hence my political stance re Lowe. Believe me it would be a lot easier to sit back and just watch this club destruct or stick my head in the sand and pretend it won't happen. I would certainly make less enemies.

It would appear that he chops and changes too much

But they usually are enforced

From the Wolves Game

Pearce Lancashire Euell unavailabe so replaced by Perry James BWP

Jordan Robertson fit again

I have seen well over 1000 Saints games and watched them on approx 65 away grounds, once going 7 years without missing a home game. I feel vaguely qualified then to talk just a little about the "game". However I also work in politics to a degree and have strong views on the way the club is run. I can make no apology for that.

JP is an enigma. I recognise at times I have seen some good exciting football this season (far better than one-time favourite Burley used to oversee) but, and it is a big but, JP does not control football policy and whilst that is the case this experiment is ultimately doomed no matter how good he is. It is inevitable that Lowe will sell whoever he can in January even though only Davis, Schneiderlin, Lallana and Surman would command a noteworthy fee (at present). That to me means we are back to square one again while we try and find replacements (the youth conveyor belt will not churn out indefinitely).

So unless Lowe pumps some cash into this club we will only go in one direction. I accept shareholders, of course are under no obligation but Crouch has said he will. Even though Crouch is not the best thing since sliced bread his offer could make all the difference - hence my political stance re Lowe. Believe me it would be a lot easier to sit back and just watch this club destruct or stick my head in the sand and pretend it won't happen. I would certainly make less enemies.

Are you suggesting that Lowe only sells for the sake of it

Surely not he will only sell to balance the books there is no evidence that he will not aquire new players by investment ie Holmes Schenderlin Gasmi and Pullis.

His dealing in thre transfer market and with agents appears to be a lot better than with Crouch and Hone

"Football people" (use the term loosly)

have to claim to know JP to look good in front of cameras / press if they dont it shows their lack of research when we turn other teams over

the biggest fear for saints has to be that another club like JP & what he has done with his boysh if we havent got a plan y ( rupert as used plans a-x)

Football person - by your definition that would make me one and Rupert almost one:smt021

So no, I meant people who played at the top level, so have been in the game since they were kids, taken coaching or media qualifications and who have managed at PL & International level or appear regularly on TV as "analysts".

JP is not an enigma, he is just learning. He like the team is not the finished article and from where I sit is as inconsistent as his young team at the moment. But IF we survive, then he will have learnt, I think we are slowly seeing that.

One thing I have learnt in life is that nobody is born into being an expert, it comes with hard work, good listening skills and having good people around you to learn from - so with JP, as I said my jury is still out, BUT he had the core attributes that the guys I was dining with felt that a club like ours would need to move forwards again.

I have an interesting what if? scenario for you though. What IF Lowe finds some money and "pumps it in"? What happens then to the politics on here, I had that thought a couple of weeks back and it makes an interesting scenario........... should keep this place busy for months!

Nice to see some of the Shining Wits getting a bit of backlash at last. I expect some will still insist that Steve Coppell is part of the OS spin machine however.

If you look at the top CCC teams this season - we've beaten Brum this year, played Wolves of the pitch with 10 men (OK we lost) and beaten Reading away. Not bad in a consolidating season, lets all enjoy the progress and hope it continues. Well done the boysh, and well done Jan.

If JP can prove me wrong then I will take back what I've said about him being a clown. My main worry is who we will sell or loan out in the next transfer window.

You should be ashamed of calling an honest, hard working guy a clown. The guy has been given a really tough task with limited funds and is stuck with a bunch of talented kids that he is trying to get the best out of. The guy has one of the hardest jobs in the championship and having a lack of respect from certain fractions of support is really not helping the situation.

The sooner people realise that a football club in debt in the current financial climate have to make tough decisions because the banks say so the better. Some of the fans on here really do not have two brain cells to rub together! It must be lonely inside your heads!

You should be ashamed of calling an honest, hard working guy a clown. The guy has been given a really tough task with limited funds and is stuck with a bunch of talented kids that he is trying to get the best out of. The guy has one of the hardest jobs in the championship and having a lack of respect from certain fractions of support is really not helping the situation.

The sooner people realise that a football club in debt in the current financial climate have to make tough decisions because the banks say so the better. Some of the fans on here really do not have two brain cells to rub together! It must be lonely inside your heads!

So tell me are happy with our home wins and results and what has only playing 1 up front at home got to do with the bank - we had other options.

You were happy that we again put out the wrong formation and gave up the chance of another win against Wolves by playing a too inexperienced player in Gobern and the poor Lancashire instead of BWP and Perry..how was that the banks decision..its not it the manager that keeps getting it wrong at home.

I have applauded him in some of his interviews and he has said some really good things but actions speak louder than words and I have praised him greatly when I have seenn his tactics work.

Every man and his dog of the 14,000 that goes to home games can see that we play some nice football but it does not hurt the opposition and the formation encourages the away team to push on.

Yes he has to make tough decisions but in several games this year he has chosen the kids when he has had more experienced players available.

A great result yesterday and no-one was as happy as I was - but if we again leave McGoldrick isolated on his own up front on Tuesday and give it away again like against Coventry when we were leading and didn't change the struggling formation then yesterday would again been another false dawn.

One of those one brained cell fans who can tell when a manager gets it wrong and praises when its right!

It would appear that he chops and changes too much

But they usually are enforced

From the Wolves Game

Pearce Lancashire Euell unavailabe so replaced by Perry James BWP

Jordan Robertson fit again

It was one of those little "throw away"quotes at the beginning of the season that worried me at the time and what we are seeing now. An academy team plays about 25-30 games a year. Suddenly we are playing 2 games a week. We accept the concept of the kids learning with their brains, but at the same time their bodies need to learn to cope with faster pace, harder action and stress as well as simply more games.

Part of the chopping and changing is I agree because the kids themselves aren't up to the weekly grind. But I also feel that part of it was down to experimenting, who to replace Holmes? Who to play wide right.

It clicked yesterday, maybe because BWP & Robertson made the formation work better? I have no idea. The big issue now is who is actually recovered in time for Tuesday.

Robertson sounded like he had a good game, but obviously wasn't match fit not having played a while (comments about fading in the second half seem to back that up).

But it will be interesting to see 1) If they all recover for Tuesday and 2) if JP changes it around.

Personally being from the Mike Bassett school, I'd not change anything. But we did that after Preston.....

Surely not he will only sell to balance the books there is no evidence that he will not aquire new players by investment ie Holmes Schenderlin Gasmi and Pullis.

His dealing in thre transfer market and with agents appears to be a lot better than with Crouch and Hone

Crouch only bought Andrew Davies.

I have an interesting what if? scenario for you though. What IF Lowe finds some money and "pumps it in"? What happens then to the politics on here, I had that thought a couple of weeks back and it makes an interesting scenario........... should keep this place busy for months!
I would welcome it. What's your views?

How on earth do the acquisitions of Pulis and Gasmi prove that Lowe is a good dealer in the transfer market ???? It would be nice to see them in a first team shirt!!!!

I would welcome it. What's your views?

Ah that's a goodie...

Lowe brings in investment. How would that sit with the politicaliens (sic) on here?

We pretty much all agree that we should have invested after the cup final, much of the hatred of Lowe stems back to that. We also don't like him because of his public utterances, and depending on our shade of political colour we believe he will never sell up, never dilute his power and only wants to rape the club of it's assets and eat babies for breakfast.

What gave me the "cold sweat" moment was a chain of events (UNLIKELY I KNOW)

Lowe has shut up.

He has gone for a radical left field strategy that MAY (one day) work

He's got rid of the journeymen

then taking a quantum leap of what if...

He brings in the investment.

Then where do our opinions go and our long held beliefs?

Personally, as you asked, I'd have to say he still needs to find a way to unite the fans, because the bitterness is too ingrained now to simply go away even if he delivered.

I think I will duck out and hide behind the "well it most likely won't happen so I don't have to worry about it yet" answer. But scary to think it through.... Would make many heads on here explode just trying to get around the concept. ouch,

How on earth do the acquisitions of Pulis and Gasmi prove that Lowe is a good dealer in the transfer market ???? It would be nice to see them in a first team shirt!!!!

Please read carefully I was making two points

I said that Lowe was not only selling but also investing in new players whether they are any good is another thing I was not saying buying Pullis and Gasmi was good as we have not seen them play.

However I did say that I thought Lowe was a better bet in the transfer market than Hone and Crouch.

Crouch having little experience

Edited by John B

Please read carefully I was making two points

I said that Lowe was not only selling but also investing in new players whether they are any good is another thing I was not saying buying Pullis and Gasmi was good as we have not seen them play.

However I did say that I thought Lowe was a better bet in the transfer market than Hone and Crouch.

Crouch having little experience

So Crouch would have been a better bet in your eyes if he had blown agents fees , signing on fees etc on a couple of crocks. Hmmmmmm.

Football person - by your definition that would make me one and Rupert almost one:smt021

So no, I meant people who played at the top level, so have been in the game since they were kids, taken coaching or media qualifications and who have managed at PL & International level or appear regularly on TV as "analysts".

JP is not an enigma, he is just learning. He like the team is not the finished article and from where I sit is as inconsistent as his young team at the moment. But IF we survive, then he will have learnt, I think we are slowly seeing that.

One thing I have learnt in life is that nobody is born into being an expert, it comes with hard work, good listening skills and having good people around you to learn from - so with JP, as I said my jury is still out, BUT he had the core attributes that the guys I was dining with felt that a club like ours would need to move forwards again.

If Lowe pumps some money into the club and stays in the boardroom (ie not having the final say in football matters) I would settle for that. Interesting you say JP is still learning considering he is well into his 50s.

If Lowe pumps some money into the club and stays in the boardroom (ie not having the final say in football matters) I would settle for that. Interesting you say JP is still learning considering he is well into his 50s.

1) Anyone who stops learning is an arrogant fool, because that makes them believe that they know everything. Surely you've met plenty of them in your time!

There is always something new, if we all knew everything we'd be richer than Bill Gates! we'd have taken our cash out of pension/savings plans/dodgy banks in the weeks before the crash!

Most people like to learn. Taking on something new, even if just learning how to cook something different for dinner helps to keep you fresh at home and at work.

(Although I would exclude the current global leadership and bankers - they certainly don't seem to want, or even be capable of learning)

and I hate to say this - but we have one small piece of evidence that even Rupert has learnt. He's kept his mouth shut all season. That never happened before......!

2) JP has had what 5 months day to day experience of English football? if he considers himself an expert then we should be scared! But as many pointed out it is VERY different from what he had done before, so of course I REALLY hope he's learning. From what we have seen and heard of him in interviews, he doesn't come across as a know-it-all and I think that is a good pointer that IF he learns fast enough things could pick up on the playings side

I agree on one thing though - I've posted before that I would prefer a "Director who oversees football" - it happens in many clubs.

Edited by dubai_phil
have to learn how to spell!

You use the word respect then contradict yourself by showing disrespect to your fellow fans...but i TAKE YOUR POINT WE SHOULD ALL BE PULLING TOGETHER FOR THE TEAM....I respect JP for the very trying conditions he has been subjected to.

1) Anyone who stops learning is an arrogant fool, because that makes them believe that they know everything. Surely you've met plenty of them in your time!

There is always something new, if we all knew everything we'd be richer than Bill Gates! we'd have taken our cash out of pension/savings plans/dodgy banks in the weeks before the crash!

Most people like to learn. Taking on something new, even if just learning how to cook something different for dinner helps to keep you fresh at home and at work.

(Although I would exclude the current global leadership and bankers - they certainly don't seem to want, or even be capable of learning)

and I hate to say this - but we have one small piece of evidence that even Rupert has learnt. He's kept his mouth shut all season. That never happened before......!

2) JP has had what 5 months day to day experience of English football? if he considers himself an expert then we should be scared! But as many pointed out it is VERY different from what he had done before, so of course I REALLY hope he's learning. From what we have seen and heard of him in interviews, he doesn't come across as a know-it-all and I think that is a good pointer that IF he learns fast enough things could pick up on the playings side

I agree on one thing though - I've posted before that I would prefer a "Director who oversees football" - it happens in many clubs.

Well Phil - I certainly know one person whose name frequently crops up on this forum who despite his uncharacteristic silence fits snugly into your opening description.

As for JP, sure he is on a learning curve but the question being is that curve too steep for him? Rookies do their learning in areas where they can learn without doing too much damage. Throwing him in at SMS may well be a gamble too big, especially as come January someone is going to take half his chips away.

we have a much much weaker squad than last season, a lot of players still gaining experience, had a few injuries, are currently outside of the relegation positions,

last season with the experienced names we scraped through, in relegation zone with 20 mins to go.

Don't think he is out of his depth

we have a much much weaker squad than last season, a lot of players still gaining experience, had a few injuries, are currently outside of the relegation positions,

last season with the experienced names we scraped through, in relegation zone with 20 mins to go.

Don't think he is out of his depth

Agree totally. He has certainly got the best out of the players we have.

So Coppell thinks JP is a top quality coach it is surprising what football people think.

Perhaps the comments made by numerous Posters saying JP is out of his depth and clueless maybe wrong.

I agree. I think people are confusing JP being out of his depth with a lack of familiarity with Championship football requirements, plus the undoubted fact that he has to play so many young and inexperienced footballers. But at least the team will grow together, if we can hang onto them. And that's the biggest IF of all. I think Jan Poortvliet IS a good coach, and if given enough time and proper support from the Boardroom, i.e. they don't sell his better players, he'll prove it.

If he is such a good coach why was he not coaching in the top flight of his home Country?

As a respected former national player, surely he would have had a head start in that respect.

Did he also allude to that with a quote about how he is percieved in Holland, when he took up the job.

One win doesn't change anything, the juries still out on him.

If he is such a good coach why was he not coaching in the top flight of his home Country? As a respected former national player, surely he would have had a head start in that respect.

Did he also allude to that with a quote about how he is percieved in Holland, when he took up the job.

One win doesn't change anything, the juries still out on him.

he is not the best coach in the world -or we wouldn't have been able to attract or afford him. I think he is good for us. Agree that to be sure the jury is still out. The obvious comparison is with NP who is now plying his trade in the 3rd tier.

he is not the best coach in the world -or we wouldn't have been able to attract or afford him. I think he is good for us. Agree that to be sure the jury is still out. The obvious comparison is with NP who is now plying his trade in the 3rd tier.

He played in a World Cup Final for his home country, so he is obviously quite well known. To get to his age without getting a top flight job in that Country, must mean he's not that highly rated. Pearson was basically a "run of the mill" footballer competing with hundreds of similar players looking to get into Coaching. The time to compare Pearson is proberly when Pearson reaches the age Jan is now. Personally, I think Pearson will manage in the Premiership before he retires, can you honestly say the same about Jan?

Nice to see some of the Shining Wits getting a bit of backlash at last. I expect some will still insist that Steve Coppell is part of the OS spin machine however.

If you look at the top CCC teams this season - we've beaten Brum this year, played Wolves of the pitch with 10 men (OK we lost) and beaten Reading away. Not bad in a consolidating season, lets all enjoy the progress and hope it continues. Well done the boysh, and well done Jan.

i second that ,to get 19 pts with such a inexperienced side proves to me he can coach and this side will get better.

He played in a World Cup Final for his home country, so he is obviously quite well known. To get to his age without getting a top flight job in that Country, must mean he's not that highly rated. Pearson was basically a "run of the mill" footballer competing with hundreds of similar players looking to get into Coaching. The time to compare Pearson is proberly when Pearson reaches the age Jan is now. Personally, I think Pearson will manage in the Premiership before he retires, can you honestly say the same about Jan?

NP is only 8 years younger than JP and they have been in management about the same amount of time.

Maybe in 8 years NP will be at higher level but think its just as likely that JP will be. Who knows, but currently after about a decade each in management JP is employed at a higher level!

Edited by NickG

NP is only 8 years younger than JP and they have been in management about the same amount of time.

Maybe in 8 years NP will be at higher level but think its just as likely that JP will be. Who knows.

Why do you think he's not had a decent job in Holland?

A world Cup finalist would open many doors and give him a head start over "run of the mill" players (like Pearson). If he was as wonderful as some seem to think, surely he would be sought after in Holland.

Have a look at this oracle of truth and you'll see that Jan was managing back in 1990, whilst Pearson didn't start until 8 yars later (that's if the OS is correct of course;)).

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/team/?page_id=6587&player_id=156

Pearson was still playing at Sheff Weds in 1990 (and did so for another 4 years) and then moved on to Boro (for another 4 years) where most of us probably remember him from.

For someone who claims to be something of an expert on football, Longshot's use of the 'pumping' analogy is surprising. Water can be pumped, if you have a constantly replenished supply. Likewise, money cannot be pumped unless you have an unlimited supply. So, just where is the board supposed to get the money to 'pump' into Saints?

Elsewhere there are people on here who complain that Lowe failed to 'invest' after the cup final in 2003. Invest with what exactly? Football clubs have the money they earn from gates, TV, commercial activity etc. Apart from a very few of the likes of Abramovich, club chairmen and directors do not have millions of pounds of spare cash to give their clubs as a free gift, and we all know that for Championship clubs, even £10m is a drop in the ocean and would not buy guaranteed success.

Maybe Longshot would contribute a year's salary to set an example - I think not.

For someone who claims to be something of an expert on football, Longshot's use of the 'pumping' analogy is surprising. Water can be pumped, if you have a constantly replenished supply. Likewise, money cannot be pumped unless you have an unlimited supply. So, just where is the board supposed to get the money to 'pump' into Saints?

Elsewhere there are people on here who complain that Lowe failed to 'invest' after the cup final in 2003. Invest with what exactly? Football clubs have the money they earn from gates, TV, commercial activity etc. Apart from a very few of the likes of Abramovich, club chairmen and directors do not have millions of pounds of spare cash to give their clubs as a free gift, and we all know that for Championship clubs, even £10m is a drop in the ocean and would not buy guaranteed success.

Maybe Longshot would contribute a year's salary to set an example - I think not.

What about the £500K Lowe and his fag pocketed when they were ousted? I suppose it's a drop in the ocean by your reckoning and therefore not a issue.

Maybe in 8 years NP will be at higher level but think its just as likely that JP will be. Who knows, but currently after about a decade each in management JP is employed at a higher level!

... and there's the rub.

Jan is only currently employed at a higher level because Nigel did such a good job last season!! If Nigel had bombed out and we had been relegated instead of Leicester he would now be at the higher level.

You couldn't make it up!!!

Pearson is in the past now. He did ok last season but did actually have a pretty poor record in terms of winning matches.

He was definitely no super hero, but considering what he inherited, when he came in with regards pressure & a downward spiral and what he was up against, he certainly did a good job.

On top of that his points per game ratio is better than what Jan has achieved to date.

Not sure how or why this thread has got to JP vs NP?

For my money they bring different things. Pearson came in at a time when the club was at a real low and bought back some respect and pride.

JP has provided us with some great glimpes of a Saints spirit not seen in many a year.

If I had to choose I'd go for the edgy attacking style that I have seen from the JP sides this year.