Do we still need another left back?

Dazza82

Shaw is a very good premiership left back now and very much looking the part. With Fox as a back up do we still need to get another left back?

Also lets not forget Clyne did a good job as cover at left back verus Villa and with Corks performance at right back today he could cover Clyne if needed.

Yes, IMO, as even as cover Fox looks poor. When he has come on as a sub recently there has been a night-and-day difference that has really shown him up.

Clyne can play LB of course, but then we're not exactly blessed with RB's and he is certainly our best, so if he is fit he should play there. I hate the thought of one injury affecting two positions as we don't have quality in depth.

Yes, IMO, as even as cover Fox looks poor. When he has come on as a sub recently there has been a night-and-day difference that has really shown him up.

Clyne can play LB of course, but then we're not exactly blessed with RB's and he is certainly our best, so if he is fit he should play there. I hate the thought of one injury affecting two positions as we don't have quality in depth.

As a position we could add to it, but personally I'd want to throw our cash at other positions which are a little more problematic for us. (cover at CB/ GK and winger)

As a position we could add to it, but personally I'd want to throw our cash at other positions which are a little more problematic for us. (cover at CB/ GK and winger)

Oh for sure, I wouldn't prioritise it over other positions, I just don't want to think it's not a position we need to add quality to.

Shaw is a very good premiership left back now and very much looking the part. With Fox as a back up do we still need to get another left back?

Also lets not forget Clyne did a good job as cover at left back verus Villa and with Corks performance at right back today he could cover Clyne if needed.

This is the age-old question, do we need someone to cover for a minor injury, or a suspension.....or a long term absence.

Probably the reason that we still have Ryan Dickson on the books. He was a useful addition when we were L1, but never in consideration afterwards with Harding and Fox...and the emergence of Shaw.

I think we have enough options in the present squad for a short term solution - if needed.... (although I want another CB), but other have shown they CDAJFU (short term).

If Shaw were to " disappear ".... for whatever reason - then YES ..another LB.

Edited by david in sweden

I'd say that we are probably OK with Shaw then Fox as backup. However I would be happy enough to see us sign an attacking LB who could also play LM, giving us a few more options. But I'd prefer to see the money spent elsewhere.

We need to improve the first team, not add to the squad, so anyone we sign has to be at least as good as our best eleven. To get a left back who would challenge for Shaw's spot we would need to spend at least £6 million I reckon, money that would be better served elsewhere.

Fox is an ok backup and clyne is a good enough there as extra cover.

We need to improve the first team, not add to the squad, so anyone we sign has to be at least as good as our best eleven. To get a left back who would challenge for Shaw's spot we would need to spend at least £6 million I reckon, money that would be better served elsewhere. Fox is an ok backup and clyne is a good enough there as extra cover.

agree with the idea in principle, but does that mean we should buy players who are as good / better than our present team (when all fit )...and if so who do you think we should drop in favour of a new signing ?

...think someone else might have mentioned before that there is already a Luke Shaw (Mark 2) in the Academy...and his name is Matt Targett.

Is Jack Stephens anywhere close to first team standard, to fill in at right back?

evidently not as good as Cork there as of yet. You've got to be flipping good to play in the PL, most of our development squad won't quite make the grade I fear.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Is Jack Stephens anywhere close to first team standard, to fill in at right back?[/QUOTE]

I think Stevens is still a way off from his first team debut.

It's easy to forget that some better players are capable of playing equally well in other positions. Watching Jack Cork start at RB v. Arsenal and then keep turning up as an attacking winger convinced me.

Our Saints history is littered with the names of legends who played in several different shirts throughout their careers and never let the side down.

IMHO Cork is OK at RB, and I hope he's MOM v. Chesea tomorrow as he has something to prove to himself ...and CFC.

No, unless we have spare cash, certainly not a priority, despite what the next 15 posts slating Fox say

Oh so delighted to help your prediction come true. Fox is a full blown very everage division one liability. We have improved immeasurably since Shaw's inclusion. Fox is not a capable reserve left back ....I will not list all the reasons you should know them!

To get a left back better than Fox will cost around 3m and wages, plus they wont be happy on the bench.

Fox is decent enough for the time being unless a bargain appears

3m !!!!! You are living in another universe.... £3 quid would more than cover his value! Really he is so poor that it is inconceivable that you cannot see it ....

Oh so delighted to help your prediction come true. Fox is a full blown very everage division one liability. We have improved immeasurably since Shaw's inclusion. Fox is not a capable reserve left back ....I will not list all the reasons you should know them!

Agreed